Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,416 members, 7,812,227 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:21 AM

$1.7M Found In Abdulrasheed Maina's Niger Repulblic Home, EFCC And NIA Called - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / $1.7M Found In Abdulrasheed Maina's Niger Repulblic Home, EFCC And NIA Called (37788 Views)

Nuhu Ribadu Visits The Headquarters Of SSS and NIA. / The Air-Conditioned Building Where ‘Prisoner’ AbdulRasheed Maina Lives / Faisal Abdulrasheed, Maina’s Son Pulled A Pistol Against DSS - EFCC Agents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

$1.7M Found In Abdulrasheed Maina's Niger Repulblic Home, EFCC And NIA Called by stickle(m): 5:47am On Oct 13, 2019
NIGERIA’S northern neighbour, Niger Republic, has blown the lid off $1.7m cash found in an apartment in its capital Niamey.

The Nigerien authorities tipped off Abuja about the cash found in the apartment believed to be owned by a former Chairman of the Pension Reform Task Team, Abdulrasheed Maina.

At N359 to $1, the 41.7m is about N610.3m.

There is suspicion that the cash is part of the money allegedly stolen by Maina who is currently in security custody following his arrest recently by the Department of Security Services (DSS) in an Abuja hotel along with his son, Faisal.

He had allegedly sneaked into the country from Dubai apparently to avoid arrest.

Maina is under investigation for alleged mismanagement of over N24billion pension funds while in office.

Twenty-nine assets worth N1billion also suspected to be owned by him have already been seized.

The Nation gathered authoritatively that the security agencies may also probe Maina on why one of his nephews, Sadiq Abdullahi Ismaila, was almost tortured to death over how $1.7million got missing from a safe house.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) is on the trail of Sadiq Abdullahi Ismaila, who released a video clip detailing his alleged travail over the missing cash.

Sources said relatives are mounting pressure on Sadiq to go underground to save Maina.

Investigation by our correspondent revealed that about $1.7million cash belonging to a Nigerian was traced found in an apartment in Niamey by security agents.

The Nigerien Government alerted Nigeria’s Federal Government of the strange discovery of the cash, following which Abuja directed the National Intelligence Agency (NIA) to investigate.

Preliminary investigation by the NIA and the EFCC suggests that Maina knows about it because the apartment in question used to serve as one of his hideouts in Niger Republic.

The discovery of the cash in Niamey coincided with the alleged disappearance of $1.7million cash from Maina’s safe house.

Investigators suspect that the pain of losing the $1.7million may have forced Maina to sneak into the country to look for the cash before the law caught up with him.

An authoritative source said: “The $1.7m was stashed in an apartment in Niger Republic which was being occupied by a Nigerian.

“So far, a trail of the cash by security agencies has linked Maina to the cash because the apartment was alleged to be his hideout.

“Detectives are working round the clock to uncover where the suspected pension cash was sourced and how it was ferried to Niger Republic.

“One of the clues being probed was the allegation that Faisal Maina (the son of the ex-pension reform task force chairman) moved the cash from Nigeria to the Republic of Niger.”

Responding to a question, the source added: “Investigators have also discovered that Maina allegedly influenced the arrest and torture of one of his nephews, Sadiq Abdullahi Ismaila over a missing $1.7m.

“Sadiq , who later released a video clip on his ordeal, asked Maina to turn his searchlight on his son, Faisal and wife.”

In the clip, which was exclusively obtained by THE NATION, Sadiq said: “I am a nephew to the ex-pension boss, Abdulrasheed Maina. Well, a lot has been happening lately. For those of you that know me very well, a lot has been happening. I know some of you know everything that has been going on and I haven’t come out to say a word about it yet.

Read Also: N2b ‘fraud’: EFCC grills Maina
“But I figure it is high time I come out to speak about it . Why? It is because I felt for the safety of the people around me, especially my family and others like that.

“Well, I was abducted by Abdulrasheed Maina (my uncle) for three days and I was tortured for something I didn’t do. He accused me of taking $1.7million of his which his son took from his house. His son and his wife too,

“I have been paying for $1.7million that is not with me. The funny thing is that this man has been sending people after me, my family and friends. And for me, I don’t really care because I have seen it all. There is nothing more he can do to me because I have already endured three good days of torture from somebody I look up to.

“He is somebody I point out to be a father figure to me; somebody who is the immediate brother to my mum. Let me make this video short. Abdulrasheed Maina, if you think your money is with me, I told you, go and meet your wife and your son.

“The $1.7million, you said you got it while you were washing toilets. I don’t know where they pay in dollars for washing toilets. I don’t know where you got the money from.

“But I know for sure the way you launder money and you know I know that. That is why you wanted me dead. I just survived because it was not my time when you asked those hoodlums, claiming to be DSS operatives to torture me for good three days. I almost died but it was not my time.

“For you now to be sending people because I have been quiet about it. I have been quiet about it because your mum (our grandmother) begged me to keep the issue as a family issue.”

Already, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has traced additional 29 assets in the country, worth N1, 054,000, 000 to Maina.

Some foreign assets have been located in the United Arab Emirates and other jurisdictions.

The anti-graft commission has filed an application before a High Court to place all the 29 assets under forfeiture.

The agency wants to invoke Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty (MLAT) to seize Maina’s choice properties in the UAE and other countries.

Other items retrieved from Maina and his son, Faisal, include 31 SIM Cards of UAE, MTN, 9Mobile and Airtel; 19 handsets; one iPad and two laptops; 13 flash drives and Kentucky US ID card; UAE Certificate of Naturalization; and UAE ID card.

On December 9, 2017, the EFCC Acting Chairman Mr. Ibrahim Magu said seven properties had been seized from Maina.

https://thenationonlineng.net/niger-republic-alerts-fg-of-1-7m-cash-in-mainas-niamey-home/amp/

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: $1.7M Found In Abdulrasheed Maina's Niger Repulblic Home, EFCC And NIA Called by tunjilomo(m): 6:05am On Oct 13, 2019
(Whistles) Tortured his own nephew over money he stole. Keeping mum because of family matter, but now that he is in EFCC custody, the bond is no longer strong. I still wonder how those who loot Nigeria treasury have no sense of propriety. They act like they own the world, but they live their excesses on stolen funds.

60 Likes 5 Shares

Re: $1.7M Found In Abdulrasheed Maina's Niger Repulblic Home, EFCC And NIA Called by Chepos1(m): 6:11am On Oct 13, 2019
Pls we are tired of all these media trials.

72 Likes 7 Shares

Re: $1.7M Found In Abdulrasheed Maina's Niger Repulblic Home, EFCC And NIA Called by atiku4President(m): 6:26am On Oct 13, 2019
Nothing will happen cos he is a sacred cow. You won't her about forfeiture, but if he is from South the speed of of investigation would only be compared with the speed of light.

87 Likes 9 Shares

Re: $1.7M Found In Abdulrasheed Maina's Niger Repulblic Home, EFCC And NIA Called by omocalabar(m): 6:51am On Oct 13, 2019
But northerners are saints now.... according Dwarf Hellrufai

85 Likes

Re: $1.7M Found In Abdulrasheed Maina's Niger Repulblic Home, EFCC And NIA Called by darthv: 6:51am On Oct 13, 2019
iTT

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: $1.7M Found In Abdulrasheed Maina's Niger Repulblic Home, EFCC And NIA Called by PureGoldh(m): 6:51am On Oct 13, 2019
The number of em looters that we have in dx country is just too much sad

16 Likes

Re: $1.7M Found In Abdulrasheed Maina's Niger Repulblic Home, EFCC And NIA Called by IMASTEX: 6:51am On Oct 13, 2019
When will death penalty be placed on looting & every penny/properties credited to the person even the ones he/she legitimately got been forfeited for ever. Until then, let the citizens smile in pains while the politicians steal & hide their future.

Meanwhile, Men experiencing premature expulsion, weak attention, low libido, sperm issue, etc can get total correction using Sure Men Herbal Tea. See profile for details. Nature is life.

9 Likes

Re: $1.7M Found In Abdulrasheed Maina's Niger Repulblic Home, EFCC And NIA Called by 2extremes(m): 6:52am On Oct 13, 2019

5 Likes

Re: $1.7M Found In Abdulrasheed Maina's Niger Repulblic Home, EFCC And NIA Called by Nobody: 6:54am On Oct 13, 2019
Chepos1:
Pls we are fire of all these media trials.

So, we should leave the corrupt alone, eh??

That's the problem with you Nigerians. When nothing is done about corruption, you cry, when something is done about it, you still cry.

Go on, you really don't want corruption to be fought. You just want the polticians to keep looting...so long as they hand over your regular dole of breadcrumbs from the table to your plate.

Sad that it is the APC government that is also a byword for corruption that is doing this. Still, Maina is a corrupt individual. Because of chaps like him, retirees cannot get their pension on time.

31 Likes 7 Shares

Re: $1.7M Found In Abdulrasheed Maina's Niger Repulblic Home, EFCC And NIA Called by Sultty(m): 6:54am On Oct 13, 2019
All these make no sense to me cos at d end he will still spend his money in peace las las shior sad

3 Likes

Re: $1.7M Found In Abdulrasheed Maina's Niger Repulblic Home, EFCC And NIA Called by pacino26(m): 6:54am On Oct 13, 2019
People sef, even if he starts cooking money to feed himself daily her can't finish his loot in one lifetime.

Why can't the country just order capital punishment for corruption and stealing by our public office holders? Just take the China way.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: $1.7M Found In Abdulrasheed Maina's Niger Repulblic Home, EFCC And NIA Called by nwakibie3(m): 6:55am On Oct 13, 2019
Money found in his house in Niger

These people are truly not nigerians ooo

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: $1.7M Found In Abdulrasheed Maina's Niger Repulblic Home, EFCC And NIA Called by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:56am On Oct 13, 2019
Investigation by our correspondent revealed that about $1.7million cash belonging to a Nigerian was traced found in an apartment in Niamey by security agents.
“The $1.7million, you said you got it while you were washing toilets. I don’t know where they pay in dollars for washing toilets. I don’t know where you got the money from.
On December 9, 2017, the EFCC Acting Chairman Mr. Ibrahim Magu said seven properties had been seized from Maina.
Twenty-nine assets worth N1billion also suspected to be owned by him have already been seized.
All these serious crime against humanity happened the time the ineffectual buffon ( according to TIME MAGAZINES) told us brazenly that STEALING IS NOT CORRUPTION.
Many pensioners lost their lives after this criminal looted the monies they worked for with their sweat.
Now, compare all these BILLIONS to what Allison, the frog eyed thief stole and ran away to UK since PMB became President in 2015.
This is not even up to 5% of what she looted.
At this point, we will only say posterity will judge all and every politicians that looted our national treasury along with each and every of their supporters.
They can never ever escape this.
Wailers haven't had much to say on this case,
cos it was under the evil politicians they worshipped nose that this act was perpetrated.
Assuming this happened in this current dispensation,
they would have been everywhere wailing like witches they are!

This is just too much!
maasoap:
He wasn't tried, you were crying. He's being tried now, you're tired of medial trial! What is media trial? The last time I checked, revelations and reporting new discoveries is good for the public. Only in Nigeria you would see youth shouting media trial whenever a news or report is made about criminals
Only in Nigeria for real!

14 Likes 8 Shares

Re: $1.7M Found In Abdulrasheed Maina's Niger Repulblic Home, EFCC And NIA Called by Gten(m): 6:56am On Oct 13, 2019
The same Maina that was reinstated by the cabal, now we know he dished out dollars then.

13 Likes

Re: $1.7M Found In Abdulrasheed Maina's Niger Repulblic Home, EFCC And NIA Called by dominique(f): 6:56am On Oct 13, 2019
Can any country endure the amount of looting Nigeria has endured?

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: $1.7M Found In Abdulrasheed Maina's Niger Repulblic Home, EFCC And NIA Called by 9jayes: 6:56am On Oct 13, 2019
Money meant for the pensioners, most of have died cause of this.

5 Likes

Re: $1.7M Found In Abdulrasheed Maina's Niger Repulblic Home, EFCC And NIA Called by A305: 6:57am On Oct 13, 2019
Sometimes I wonder if these looters aren't financially intelligent, they think stashing money away in businesses, property and stashing away in raw cash is the way to conceal their loot.

Maina's knows the Efcc is after him hence his continuous stay in Dubia, While in Dubia, couldn't he have sold most if his properties here in Nigeria and hide the money in cryptocurrency? Same as this money found in his house. See my signature for that Lexus

1 Like

Re: $1.7M Found In Abdulrasheed Maina's Niger Repulblic Home, EFCC And NIA Called by iretemide(f): 6:57am On Oct 13, 2019
1.7 what ?
They done sell us teetee , na to collect change take remain . It is well.
Re: $1.7M Found In Abdulrasheed Maina's Niger Repulblic Home, EFCC And NIA Called by Criticaltemp: 6:57am On Oct 13, 2019
Ok
Re: $1.7M Found In Abdulrasheed Maina's Niger Repulblic Home, EFCC And NIA Called by jchioma: 6:58am On Oct 13, 2019
Chuo! See good neighbour. Abi na eye service. Na today Niger government know sei the man de their country capital ?

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: $1.7M Found In Abdulrasheed Maina's Niger Repulblic Home, EFCC And NIA Called by helinues: 6:58am On Oct 13, 2019
Nigeria matter tired me oo..

This same Maina have strong godfathers.. All this Na for media oo

3 Likes

Re: $1.7M Found In Abdulrasheed Maina's Niger Repulblic Home, EFCC And NIA Called by Slawormir: 6:58am On Oct 13, 2019
Okay
Re: $1.7M Found In Abdulrasheed Maina's Niger Repulblic Home, EFCC And NIA Called by Gandollaar(f): 6:58am On Oct 13, 2019
Nothing will come out of it. He is been harassed now because of public outcry because maina is a well known Ally of buhari who contributed immensely to his campaign in 2015.

If not opposition, maina would have been going and coming as he likes to aso rock by now

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: $1.7M Found In Abdulrasheed Maina's Niger Repulblic Home, EFCC And NIA Called by Mrsheff(m): 6:58am On Oct 13, 2019
Its a shame for human to embezzled what he/she can't take along when they are no more...I cried for this country some years ago.. Even all these stolen money can build a new Nigeria and citizens have no reason to travel abroad... Where is Abiola, Awolowo, Abacha, Ojukwu, Tafawa Balewa and likes they can't even remember they have been in this world before..... Please let be contented...O ma see oo

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: $1.7M Found In Abdulrasheed Maina's Niger Repulblic Home, EFCC And NIA Called by Madibah(m): 6:59am On Oct 13, 2019
R
Re: $1.7M Found In Abdulrasheed Maina's Niger Repulblic Home, EFCC And NIA Called by Solomon8144: 6:59am On Oct 13, 2019
nwakibie3:
Money found in his house in Niger

These people are truly not nigerians ooo
Leemaao grin cheesy

Are you just getting to know really?

3 Likes

Re: $1.7M Found In Abdulrasheed Maina's Niger Repulblic Home, EFCC And NIA Called by victorazyvictor(m): 6:59am On Oct 13, 2019
Story for the gods.

From Niger cheesy cheesy cheesy

Only people that had no idea of what went wrong with FG Magu and Maina

2 Likes

Re: $1.7M Found In Abdulrasheed Maina's Niger Repulblic Home, EFCC And NIA Called by Topmaike007(m): 7:01am On Oct 13, 2019
Okay
Re: $1.7M Found In Abdulrasheed Maina's Niger Repulblic Home, EFCC And NIA Called by FarahAideed: 7:01am On Oct 13, 2019
dominique:
Can any country endure the amount of looting Nigeria has endured?

Non

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Osinbajo Never Informed Us Before Relocating Membership To Ogun State –Lagos APC / Peter Obi’s Oyo Rally Shocked APC To Their Foundation – LP / Breaking News : Robbers Shoot Governor's Wife, Kill 2 Aides, Adedibu’s Son Attac

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.