Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,175 members, 7,849,622 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 06:22 AM

Getting What You Want Instead Of What They Think You Want. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Getting What You Want Instead Of What They Think You Want. (391 Views)

Men Are Afraid To Date Me. They Think I Am A Transgender - Bearded Tanzanian / Ladies Name One Thing Men Do That Turns You Off But They Think It's A Turn On / When Some Girls Have Big Yansh They Think Life should be Easy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Getting What You Want Instead Of What They Think You Want. by Hamachi(f): 2:16pm On Oct 14, 2019
Getting what you want instead of what they think you want.

Life is all about standards. You will not be everybody's taste. That's a truth we all must accept.

The earlier we accept that not everybody will want us, and those who will want us won't need us, the better we will become at relationships. With ourselves, our lovers, friends and family.

There is nothing worse than a person who sees him or herself as indispensable and who grows entitled to everybody's time, efforts, money and emotions.

I have set my standards. No amount of insults will change that.

If you do not set your standards, nobody will set them for you. And as far as Nigeria goes, a woman's standards should be zero. Anything goes.

When it comes to dating, any man in Nigeria feels entitled to the love and devotion of any woman in Nigeria. It doesn't matter whether he is poor, uneducated, unattractive, unintelligent and/or of dubious character. A woman should take whatever she gets.

A poor woman who turns down the advances of a poor man is arrogant. Likewise a rich woman who turns down the advances of a poor man. Accepting to be with a poor man is the ultimate proof of humility. And humility is the most sought out virtue in a woman. Please.

A woman should be the standard that she seeks, but a woman can also aspire to a standard that she knows she can be and will be, with the right push. Do not choose a partner based on your present state, if you have concrete and realistic plans to improve that state in the next future. The importance of setting your standards cannot be undermined. It saves you time and it saves you stress that comes with disappointments and arguments.

Dele wants to come over to Chika's apartment, and he offers to bring a bottle of wine with him. Dele likez white wine. Chika likes red wine. Dele says "I'm coming with a bottle of white", and Chika does not mention that she doesn't like white, instead that she likes red. Dele arrives, opens the bottle of wine and serves Chika a glass. She's displeased, but still doesn't reveal that she doesn't like white wine. The conversation is stale, Chika is getting irritated and Dele starts getting a negative vibe. The visit ends and Dele never calls Chika again.

Imagine if Chika had just said "I don't like white wine. I like red wine."

In that moment she would have known if Dele is the kind of man who would:

- force her to drink white wine because that's what he likes;
- buy a bottle of red wine instead because that is what she likes; or
- buy an additional bottle of red wine so that they can each enjoy what they like.

Let me state it here "men's opinions are irrelevant to me". And I said it because I mean it.

I was introduced to this group by a friend, but I wasn't sure that I wanted to join. Because, like I also mentioned in that post, I'm not looking forward to dating right now. But eventually I did. .

I had to tell him "your opinion is irrelevant".

First of all, he was setting a standard for himself and was trying to force every woman out there to comply.

Secondly, he's entitled. He's the kind of man who believes that every woman out there need his approval to exist.

I don't need a man's approval, and certainly not his. I don't need people's approval. I have a group of selected friends whose approval matter to me. But before they came to occupy such an important position in my life, they proved to me that they possess values and ideals that align with mine and that are not detrimental to my person. They would never force me to do something that makes me miserable just because it makes them happy. And they would never try to stop me from doing something that would be extremely beneficial to me, just because it would make them sad.

I will dig in further into this sense of entitlement by Nigerian men in another post, but for now, let me just say this: "You don't get to set my standards for me just because you have a penis, or because you are rich".

Four years ago, I was seeing someone. He knew very well that I wasn't the kind of person who liked impromptu plans, especially the types that required me to make efforts in order to leave the house. Efforts like dressing up and making up. I need to plan my outfit days in advance. And doing my make up is a task. He knew this because I had told him. One evening, he showed up at my house tipsy and started demanding that I dressed up and went out with him. I said no. We had an argument and I asked him to leave. That's how we stopped seeing each other. He would later criticize my standards and principles and encourage me to bring them down a bit. Whatever. At least he never tried to force me to do anything that I didn't want to do again or show up tipsy in my house.

This is a simple example, just like the first example I made with the bottle of wine. But the point remains crucial.

If you state what you want, you are more likely to get it. If you do not state what you want, people will give you what they think you want, and it's going to be what they want.

If you are lucky, their desire will match your desire. But life is rarely about luck. So most of the time, you will get what you do not want, in the cheapest quality and in the harshest taste.

This is the third lesson from my introduction.

I wish you a lovely week
Re: Getting What You Want Instead Of What They Think You Want. by sweetonugbu: 2:22pm On Oct 14, 2019
on the long run

Re: Getting What You Want Instead Of What They Think You Want. by Nobody: 2:29pm On Oct 14, 2019
I agree. But its not only men. Society as a whole has fixed down certain roles women have to play by. And over the years, people have come to think, wrongly that these duties will please a female more than any other thing.

2 Likes

Re: Getting What You Want Instead Of What They Think You Want. by AstroG1: 2:48pm On Oct 14, 2019
Hamachi:
Getting what you want instead of what they think you want.

Life is all about standards. You will not be everybody's taste. That's a truth we all must accept.

The earlier we accept that not everybody will want us, and those who will want us won't need us, the better we will become at relationships. With ourselves, our lovers, friends and family.

There is nothing worse than a person who sees him or herself as indispensable and who grows entitled to everybody's time, efforts, money and emotions.

I have set my standards. No amount of insults will change that.

If you do not set your standards, nobody will set them for you. And as far as Nigeria goes, a woman's standards should be zero. Anything goes.

When it comes to dating, any man in Nigeria feels entitled to the love and devotion of any woman in Nigeria. It doesn't matter whether he is poor, uneducated, unattractive, unintelligent and/or of dubious character. A woman should take whatever she gets.

A poor woman who turns down the advances of a poor man is arrogant. Likewise a rich woman who turns down the advances of a poor man. Accepting to be with a poor man is the ultimate proof of humility. And humility is the most sought out virtue in a woman. Please.

A woman should be the standard that she seeks, but a woman can also aspire to a standard that she knows she can be and will be, with the right push. Do not choose a partner based on your present state, if you have concrete and realistic plans to improve that state in the next future. The importance of setting your standards cannot be undermined. It saves you time and it saves you stress that comes with disappointments and arguments.

Dele wants to come over to Chika's apartment, and he offers to bring a bottle of wine with him. Dele likez white wine. Chika likes red wine. Dele says "I'm coming with a bottle of white", and Chika does not mention that she doesn't like white, instead that she likes red. Dele arrives, opens the bottle of wine and serves Chika a glass. She's displeased, but still doesn't reveal that she doesn't like white wine. The conversation is stale, Chika is getting irritated and Dele starts getting a negative vibe. The visit ends and Dele never calls Chika again.

Imagine if Chika had just said "I don't like white wine. I like red wine."

In that moment she would have known if Dele is the kind of man who would:

- force her to drink white wine because that's what he likes;
- buy a bottle of red wine instead because that is what she likes; or
- buy an additional bottle of red wine so that they can each enjoy what they like.

Let me state it here "men's opinions are irrelevant to me". And I said it because I mean it.

I was introduced to this group by a friend, but I wasn't sure that I wanted to join. Because, like I also mentioned in that post, I'm not looking forward to dating right now. But eventually I did. .

I had to tell him "your opinion is irrelevant".

First of all, he was setting a standard for himself and was trying to force every woman out there to comply.

Secondly, he's entitled. He's the kind of man who believes that every woman out there need his approval to exist.

I don't need a man's approval, and certainly not his. I don't need people's approval. I have a group of selected friends whose approval matter to me. But before they came to occupy such an important position in my life, they proved to me that they possess values and ideals that align with mine and that are not detrimental to my person. They would never force me to do something that makes me miserable just because it makes them happy. And they would never try to stop me from doing something that would be extremely beneficial to me, just because it would make them sad.

I will dig in further into this sense of entitlement by Nigerian men in another post, but for now, let me just say this: "You don't get to set my standards for me just because you have a penis, or because you are rich".

Four years ago, I was seeing someone. He knew very well that I wasn't the kind of person who liked impromptu plans, especially the types that required me to make efforts in order to leave the house. Efforts like dressing up and making up. I need to plan my outfit days in advance. And doing my make up is a task. He knew this because I had told him. One evening, he showed up at my house tipsy and started demanding that I dressed up and went out with him. I said no. We had an argument and I asked him to leave. That's how we stopped seeing each other. He would later criticize my standards and principles and encourage me to bring them down a bit. Whatever. At least he never tried to force me to do anything that I didn't want to do again or show up tipsy in my house.

This is a simple example, just like the first example I made with the bottle of wine. But the point remains crucial.

If you state what you want, you are more likely to get it. If you do not state what you want, people will give you what they think you want, and it's going to be what they want.

If you are lucky, their desire will match your desire. But life is rarely about luck. So most of the time, you will get what you do not want, in the cheapest quality and in the harshest taste.

This is the third lesson from my introduction.

I wish you a lovely week

Re: Getting What You Want Instead Of What They Think You Want. by Hamachi(f): 8:02am On Oct 15, 2019
wink
Crazyemberr:
I agree. But its not only men. Society as a whole has fixed down certain roles women have to play by. And over the years, people have come to think, wrongly that these duties will please a female more than any other thing.
Re: Getting What You Want Instead Of What They Think You Want. by Magnoliaa(f): 10:14am On Oct 15, 2019
AstroG1:

You, you get something for head?? Mtcheeew.

I'm really looking forward to an intelligent, engaging and interesting post/comment from you on this forum. If you're not waiting for "elders" or "redpillers," you're mute, declaring things inconclusive, or whining about feminists and sexually active Nigerian women.

2 Likes

Re: Getting What You Want Instead Of What They Think You Want. by AstroG1: 10:30am On Oct 15, 2019
Magnoliaa:

You, you get something for head?? Mtcheeew.

I'm really looking forward to an intelligent, engaging and interesting post/comment from you on this forum. If you're not waiting for "elders" or "redpillers," you're mute, declaring things inconclusive, or whining about feminists and sexually active Nigerian women.

Oya na,Keep on waiting kiss kiss

(1) (Reply)

God Bless The Person Who Helped Me. / What Percentage Of Ladies Do Not Sleep With EX Or Another Before Wedding? / Show Us Your Pick Up Lines.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.