Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,321 members, 7,819,101 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:14 AM

Nigeria Losing N1tn Annually To Bad Roads - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Losing N1tn Annually To Bad Roads (4056 Views)

N35000 Wage Award: Labour Gives Govs Ultimatum, 61 Million Nigerians To Get N1tn / Nigeria Losing 400,000 Barrels Of Crude Oil To Thieves Daily: NSA Ribadu / Nigeria Spends N120bn Annually To Keep Refineries Idle ― Petroleum Engineers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Losing N1tn Annually To Bad Roads by tomakint: 2:51am On Oct 16, 2019
Nigeria losing N1tn annually to bad roads’
Published

October 16, 2019
Okechukwu Nnodim, Abuja

Nigeria is losing over N1tn annually as a result of bad roads across the country, the Senate has said.

The Federal Roads Maintenance Agency also put the cost in man-hours loss due to bad roads and traffic delays at N1.02tn per annum.

Speaking on the sidelines of a stakeholders’ forum on road maintenance and reforms organised by FERMA in Abuja, the Senate Committee Chairman for the agency, Senator Gershom Bassey, said findings by experts submitted to the Senate showed that Nigeria was losing the amount to bad roads.

He said, “We lose over N1tn every year as a result of bad roads.”

He also stated that the enforcement of stipulated laws would help address the challenge of road maintenance.

Bassey said, “I think the first thing is to obey the law. Clearly, there is a FERMA Act and the key issue in road maintenance is funding. This issue was addressed in 2008 in the amendment of the FERMA Act, which provided for additional sources of funding for road maintenance.

“But the problem we have now is that that law has not been obeyed by the Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Agency, as it is supposed to ensure that a portion of the tax on petrol and diesel is credited to FERMA for the maintenance of roads.”

On his part, the Chairman of the Governing Board of FERMA, Tunde Lemo, said funding for Nigerian roads was less than one per cent of the country’s Gross Domestic Product, adding that this was far less than the three per cent of the GDP recommended by the World Bank as a minimum spending threshold.

He said, “The cost of loss in man-hours due to bad roads and traffic delays is N1.02tn per annum. Burden of inaction has been computed to be N85 for every N1 not spent in good time to maintain the Nigerian roads as of 2018. These numbers are staggering and this calls for immediate action.

He stated that over 80 per cent of travels in Nigeria were carried out on the road, with about 90 per cent of that being largely federal interstate roads.

Lemo added, “With only about 10,0000km of federal roads in ‘good’ state and about 13,300km and 11,600km in fair and bad state, respectively, it isn’t difficult to understand why road density in Nigeria is a paltry 0.21km/sq.km2.”

Copyright PUNCH.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.

https://punchng.com/nigeria-losing-n1tn-annually-to-bad-roads/

This Is Killing!
Re: Nigeria Losing N1tn Annually To Bad Roads by stepo707: 4:51am On Oct 16, 2019
Well let them use the looted funds to fix it
Re: Nigeria Losing N1tn Annually To Bad Roads by Nobody: 4:52am On Oct 16, 2019
What happen to sukuk fund? Is time we put this so called country Nigeria for a long time lease.
Re: Nigeria Losing N1tn Annually To Bad Roads by Spatta: 4:52am On Oct 16, 2019
If Nigerians can study these Men who are currently building their Nations, If only Nigerians can read about their countries and how they are making life better for their citizens, that you will hardly find their citizens travel outside of their countries because their countries are far better than the countries that Most Nigerians would prefer to run out to
Maybe we will be angry enough to Fight our wicked Failures called Leaders

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Losing N1tn Annually To Bad Roads by Nobody: 4:52am On Oct 16, 2019
Buhari is a bigot and doesn't care

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Losing N1tn Annually To Bad Roads by TOPCRUISE(m): 4:55am On Oct 16, 2019
If Nigeria regrets losing such amount, she would have constructed the roads and non will have been dilapidated
Re: Nigeria Losing N1tn Annually To Bad Roads by madenigga(m): 4:58am On Oct 16, 2019
It's really frustrating though.

U would see a very nice and viable business, that the government can tax for revenue, that can help employ people. Bad roads would just kill the business and at the end they won't still fix the road

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Losing N1tn Annually To Bad Roads by xxxtedyxxx(m): 5:05am On Oct 16, 2019
human lives nko?
dis people no send us

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Losing N1tn Annually To Bad Roads by nony43(m): 5:07am On Oct 16, 2019
The Federal roads in the SS and SE has completly collapsed, you can't drive 10 minutes straight, I traveled to Calabar yesterday and the road linking Akwa- Ibom and Cross River state is bad. The road linking Aba and Ph is so terrible that people now use trains and the trains collided two months ago and stopped working

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Losing N1tn Annually To Bad Roads by roymary: 5:10am On Oct 16, 2019
This government na the real scam!!! Chaiii

Instead of them to fix things dem go complain give us...Sey na wetin una promise be this when we vote una

I see nothing wey APC take better pass PDP

Under past administrations , we had educated officials but these illiterates about to lead us into the canal o!!!

undecided undecided undecided

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Losing N1tn Annually To Bad Roads by Nobody: 5:14am On Oct 16, 2019
atarapa:
What happen to sukuk fund? Is time we put this so called country Nigeria for a long time lease.
To the Rwandans
Re: Nigeria Losing N1tn Annually To Bad Roads by chriscrosss(m): 5:20am On Oct 16, 2019
Lost or stolen..be specific...?
Re: Nigeria Losing N1tn Annually To Bad Roads by TheMainMan: 5:28am On Oct 16, 2019
nony43:
The Federal roads in the SS and SE has completly collapsed, you can't drive 10 minutes straight, I traveled to Calabar yesterday and the road linking Akwa- Ibom and Cross River state is bad. The road linking Aba and Ph is so terrible that people now use trains and the trains collided two months ago and stopped working
trains collided shocked.... nawa o
Re: Nigeria Losing N1tn Annually To Bad Roads by okosodo: 5:28am On Oct 16, 2019
FERMA don go holiday since 2015

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Losing N1tn Annually To Bad Roads by Mujtahida: 5:46am On Oct 16, 2019
There are two major civilizing elements: good roads and electricity. Nigeria has failed on both counts and that's why she's still in the stone age.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Losing N1tn Annually To Bad Roads by JonOlive: 5:47am On Oct 16, 2019
A government which cannot provide basics... Which kind of government is that? Water, roads, schools, hospitals and electric power are basic. In saner climes, the govt dont even count the provision of these basics as an achievement. Indeed this is a shit hole country.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Losing N1tn Annually To Bad Roads by Nobody: 5:47am On Oct 16, 2019
JonOlive:
A government which cannot provide basics... Which kind of basics is that? Water, roads, schools, hospitals and electric power are basic. In saner climes, the govt dont even count the provision of these basics as an achievement. Indeed this is a shit hole country.

Re: Nigeria Losing N1tn Annually To Bad Roads by nony43(m): 5:49am On Oct 16, 2019
TheMainMan:
trains collided shocked.... nawa o

Yes, I was surprised i didn't see it in the news I refreshed Nairaland tire for the news
Re: Nigeria Losing N1tn Annually To Bad Roads by Cutehector(m): 5:50am On Oct 16, 2019
Are there any sukuk funded projects in the south?
Re: Nigeria Losing N1tn Annually To Bad Roads by RichDad1(m): 6:00am On Oct 16, 2019
Cutehector:
Are there any sukuk funded projects in the south?
Yes.
Sagamu-Ore-Benin Expressway.
Re: Nigeria Losing N1tn Annually To Bad Roads by akdjr(m): 6:02am On Oct 16, 2019
Spare parts dealers make money from it too.
Re: Nigeria Losing N1tn Annually To Bad Roads by solmusdesigns: 6:02am On Oct 16, 2019
Sad reality
Re: Nigeria Losing N1tn Annually To Bad Roads by Cutehector(m): 6:04am On Oct 16, 2019
RichDad1:

Yes.
Sagamu-Ore-Benin Expressway.
south like I mean, port Harcourt/Aba, delta, bayelsa, owerri

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Losing N1tn Annually To Bad Roads by RichDad1(m): 6:04am On Oct 16, 2019
Fashola is a disappointment as far as federal roads are concerned. I am not impressed at all.
FERMA was partially active until he took over in 2015 and rendered them totally ineffective.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Losing N1tn Annually To Bad Roads by RichDad1(m): 6:06am On Oct 16, 2019
Cutehector:
south like I mean, port Harcourt/Aba, delta, bayelsa, owerri
Is the one I mention not in the South?
Maybe someone that is conversant with those areas can help you out.
Re: Nigeria Losing N1tn Annually To Bad Roads by RichDad1(m): 6:10am On Oct 16, 2019
akdjr:
Spare parts dealers make money from it too.
Same goes for Petroleum stations.
I believe there’s a grand conspiracy in place to make sure Nigerians spend more times in traffic. Thereby increasing our petroleum consumption which in turns increase government revenues.
Same goes for unstable electricity. To boost AGO sales.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Losing N1tn Annually To Bad Roads by seunmohmoh(f): 7:02am On Oct 16, 2019
Which bad roads? God go save us from these polithieficians
Re: Nigeria Losing N1tn Annually To Bad Roads by wickyyolo: 7:17am On Oct 16, 2019
FERMA is a failure.

There is a road they have been trying to patch every month and it has never lasted

But after chinese patch the road. Its 6months the road is still good.

FERMA IS A FAILURE.
Re: Nigeria Losing N1tn Annually To Bad Roads by Nobody: 7:31am On Oct 16, 2019
I feel like puking right now. Lagos roads are the worst on the African continent. A vote for sanwo olu is wasted already
Re: Nigeria Losing N1tn Annually To Bad Roads by MrNipplesLover(m): 10:30am On Oct 16, 2019
Nigeria is not losing any money, you animals are pocketing it.
so, our money dey with u big belle apes.
Re: Nigeria Losing N1tn Annually To Bad Roads by akdjr(m): 10:36am On Oct 16, 2019
Very true.quote author=RichDad1 post=83176543]
Same goes for Petroleum stations.
I believe there’s a grand conspiracy in place to make sure Nigerians spend more times in traffic. Thereby increasing our petroleum consumption which in turns increase government revenues.
Same goes for unstable electricity. To boost AGO sales. [/quote]

(1) (2) (Reply)

E-money Declares Interest To Run For Anambra State Governorship. / APC Defends Onochie's Appointment, Says Current INEC Chairman Is PDP Member / My Observations So Far On Tinubu's Campaign In The SW

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.