Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,156 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:51 AM

The Mamman Daura I Know By Shango - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Mamman Daura I Know By Shango (26692 Views)

If They Disturb Me In Daura, I Will Leave For Niger Republic – Buhari / Mamman Daura: I Don't Dictate To The President / Fatima, Mamman Daura’s Daughter: Aisha Buhari Attacked Us In Aso Rock (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Mamman Daura I Know By Shango by naijapower(m): 1:38am On Oct 18, 2019
OPINION

Published October 18, 2019

Recently, I heard a group of people discussing vehemently about the “uncomplimentary” role of Mamman Daura in the Buhari administration. They attributed everything bad to Malam Mamman Daura, my mentor, boss, friend, former editor and Managing Director at the New Nigerian Newspapers in Kaduna. I moved close to them and tried to explain to them about the Mamman Daura I know.

I knew Malam Mamman Daura when he joined the New Nigerian as the editor of the paper- sometime in 1969. Before then, the editor of the paper was a powerful writer and historian, Malam Adamu Ciroma, while the Managing Director was a British journalist, Mr Charles Sharp.

I had been at the New Nigerian for a number of years before Daura came in, at which time I was the Personal Assistant to Malam Adamu Ciroma, who had just taken over from Mr Sharp as the Managing Director.

I was moved from Ciroma’s office back to the editorial department to work with Daura, this time as a senior reporter.

First, let me commend the decision of Daura to leave the office of the Premier of Northern Nigeria, where he was an administrative officer to join the New Nigerian. Journalism at that time was not considered anything worth throwing away such a job to take up.

Daura, (a Muslim) who attended the Trinity College (a Catholic University in Dublin, Ireland) had returned to Nigeria with two degrees; one in Economics and another in Public Administration. He could have got any job for the asking but rather decided to try his hands on newspaper reporting.

I recall that there were few university graduates at the newsroom of the New Nigerian, some of whom had come in only to see what it was like to be a journalist but left immediately after looking into the newsroom. Those of us who stayed on in the New Nigerian were indeed not university graduates at that time. I recall Dan Agbese, Clement Ende, Yakubu Abdul-Aziz, myself, just to mention a few.

Among the more experienced ones was Mr. Clement Isaiah, father of Sam Ndah Isaiah (founder and Chairman of Leadership Newspaper). It is noteworthy that although the young Isaiah initially trained as a pharmacist, but because the blood of journalism ran in the family he had to meander back to establish one of the most thriving newspapers in Nigeria today.

There was Malam Sani, father of Senator Shehu Sani, who was definitely an expert in composition. I must also mention Mr Rasaq Aremu who was the editor-in-chief and later succeeded by Mr Clement Isaiah and of course there was sub-editor guru, Mr Yakubu Ali.

Malam Daura learnt the ropes of journalism very fast and before we could know, he took over the writing of daily editorial, the famous Candido column and very powerful feature articles. He was regarded at that time as one of the sharpest minds north of the River Niger and could very well be compared with others like Dr Jubril Aminu, Dr Mahmud Tukur, Dr Ibrahim Tahil, Professor Iya Abubakar and Dr Bala Usman, to mention a few.

He was a key Nigerian patriot and contributed in no small way to prosecuting the Nigerian civil war behind his pen, in the same manner that other northern patriots like Adamu Ciroma, Baba-Gana Kingibe, Alhaji Abba Zoru, Patrick Iyoher and others did.

I was closely attached to Malam Daura; ethnicity and religion were not part of his life. He treated people based on their performance and character. Daura nominated me for training programmes among many Hausa, Fulani and Muslim reporters in the New Nigerian. When the Federal Government bought over the shares of the Daily Times of Nigeria, he nominated me, a Christian minority, to serve as Director of the Daily Times under the Chairmanship of the late Alhaji Magaji Dambatta, another detribalised northern Muslim journalist from Kano State.

The job at the Daily Times was one of my most challenging moments. This was one of my most challenging jobs. In the cause of balancing the Daily Times, we had to relieve various good and hardworking journalists, like Olusegun Osoba, who later became the Governor of Ogun State, the late Dale Giwa, Chief Tony Momoh and Chief Olu Onagoruwa, of their jobs.

We also had to bring on board very unknown journalists like Ray Ekpu from the Chronicle Newspaper, Cross River State, who later became one of the most famous journalists in Nigeria; Felix Audu, from Benue State, and quite a number of other journalists, into the stable of the Daily Times.

I recall that I was to travel to Makurdi on an official duty during the civil war and Malam Daura insisted that because of the dangers of the civil war, I had to stay in the house of his nephew, then Col. Muhammadu Buhari, who was the Commander of the Brigade in Makurdi. Col. Buhari, perhaps knowing the activities of a young reporter like me and considering the strict discipline that prevailed in his house, decided to hand me over to his adjutant, Major Dauda Suleiman, who took me to the officers’ mess but kept a keen eye on me, so no harm would come my way.

In order to complete his assignment of keeping me safe, Buhari personally decided to drive me to Kaduna when my assignment was over. I must say that Buhari loved driving and would not allow his driver to drive from Makurdi to Kaduna. His driver was by his side while I sat behind with his younger brother, Sani, then a student at the Government College Kaduna.

As fate would have it, we had a ghastly motor accident somewhere between Keffi and Kachia. But what keeps lingering in my memory was that, when Buhari came out of the car, he called my name, “Simon, Simon, hope you are alright” and he did not even mention his brother’s name, Sani. This was all in a bid to accomplish the wish of his nephew, Malam Daura, to ensure that no harm comes to me.

In the cause of my working as a reporter under Mamman Daura, I got into troubles; one was a result of a story I wrote on Zaria Tarpaulin Industry which insinuated that government officials had received bribes of Mercedes Benz cars from the proprietor, an Indian business man.

The then Governor in Kaduna, Col. Abba Kyari, approached Mamman Daura that he should produce me for detention. Instead of producing me, Mamman Daura arranged for me to go to Port Harcourt to attend a meeting of Nigerian Union of Journalists and stay there until the trouble was over.

Malam Adamu Ciroma and Malam Mamman Daura taught us honesty and probity while we were with the New Nigerian. Rumour has it that Malam Daura was forced to move from the Premier’s office because he would not wear agbada or babariga to work throughout his stay in the New Nigerian as was customary with old northern senior officers. He wore suit and we often referred to him as “Mamman Bature”.

That Mamman Daura chose to pursue entrepreneurship in carpentry and thereby establishing a furniture factory, KFCC, in Kaduna, was a great surprise to us. At that time, people of Mamman Daura’s standing only needed to move to Abuja or Lagos and could make billions of naira as agents connecting people with government. That was the nature of hard work, Mamman Daura imbibed in us.

He later took over from the late Sultan Dasuki as the Chairman of African International Bank, a completely unknown banking establishment, and nurtured it to become very profitable, employing hundreds of people. Rumour has it that when working capital of banks was moved to N25bn, Mamman Daura could not raise that capital because of his honesty; when banks with lesser pedigree crookedly raised that capital in no time.

Today, Mamman Daura is the same as he was yesterday. His residence in Malali, Kaduna State, is a simple bungalow and even though he produces furniture, the seats in the living room are ordinary and people waiting for him outside sit on the bench. Though his nephew is the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, he lives in a bungalow outside the Villa with little security. Just like his Kaduna residence, visitors sit on the bench outside the house, while the inside has ordinary furniture like the one in Kaduna.

Malam Mamman Daura is a sound economist and he ran the New Nigerian with sound prudence that made profit for the newspaper during his time. While in the New Nigerian, he did not have a car of his own except the official 404. His official residence at then Dawaki Road (now Isa Kaita Road) was the same bungalow like that of any other senior staff even when he became the Managing Director of the newspaper.

I have no doubt that Daura has brought sound economic advice to his nephew’s government that has added value to the quality of government. This is the Daura I knew. I believe he is still the same today and will be the same tomorrow.

Shango is a farmer in Pika, Gboko L.G.A. of Benue State

This article was originally published in the Daily Trust newspaper

https://punchng.com/the-mamman-daura-i-know/

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Mamman Daura I Know By Shango by naijapower(m): 1:38am On Oct 18, 2019
I have no doubt that Daura has brought sound economic advice to his nephew’s government that has added value to the quality of government. This is the Daura I knew. I believe he is still the same today and will be the same tomorrow.

18 Likes

Re: The Mamman Daura I Know By Shango by ogbuefi677(m): 1:42am On Oct 18, 2019
mtcheeeewww.
Is that why he his family live inside Aso Rock and probably being fed by tax payers money?
With all the hype and education, he still dragged Nigeria to d poverty capital of the world.

62 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Mamman Daura I Know By Shango by Bede2u(m): 2:54am On Oct 18, 2019
Lol....this writer don't get the point. Nobody has ever said that the Daura man is not intelligent or resourceful. What has been said is that Buhari who was elected and is the visible face of this administration has once again left key decisions to unknown and unelected persons.

A cabal is a small group of people united in some close design, usually to promote their private views of or interests in an ideology, state, or other community, often by intrigue and usually unbeknownst to those outside their group. The use of this term usually carries negative connotations of political purpose, conspiracy and secrecy.

This writer does not know Buhari or Mamman Daura more than Aisha so he should talk small small

133 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Mamman Daura I Know By Shango by Goldencheese(m): 4:17am On Oct 18, 2019
I see your point!

Bede2u:
Lol....this writer don't get the point. Nobody has ever said that the Daura man is not intelligent or resourceful. What's has been said is that Buhari who was elected and is the visible face of this administration has once again left key decisions to unknown and unelected persons.

This writer does not know Buhari or Mamman Daura more than Aisha so he should talk small small

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Mamman Daura I Know By Shango by NwaAmaikpe: 4:40am On Oct 18, 2019
shocked

I love this writeup.
It is either a sentimental gift rooted on an age-long feeling of indebtedness to the man in question or an avenue to show allegiance once again to an already lost benefactor.

But most importantly, it is the work of a seasoned journalist and not the hogwash writings of today.

I am not very competent in the field of proper assimilation.
However, one thing is evident and also a common denominator in what he has written and what Aisha Buhari has always said.

It is that Mamman Daura's interest always comes first to General M. Buhari.
In other words the former is the law while the later is the enforcer of the law.

That is the Mamman Daura we also know.

106 Likes 9 Shares

Re: The Mamman Daura I Know By Shango by Jimi24: 4:48am On Oct 18, 2019
Bede2u:
Lol....this writer don't get the point. Nobody has ever said that the Daura man is not intelligent or resourceful. What has been said is that Buhari who was elected and is the visible face of this administration has once again left key decisions to unknown and unelected persons.

A cabal is a small group of people united in some close design, usually to promote their private views of or interests in an ideology, state, or other community, often by intrigue and usually unbeknownst to those outside their group. The use of this term usually carries negative connotations of political purpose, conspiracy and secrecy.

The writer knows Daura and Buhari more than Aisha. You need to realize Aisha is second wife and came into the picture when the first phase of Buhari's life had passed. He had practically lost his entire first family to divorce and later bereavement.
Nigeria is also demographically young. Most Nigerians only of Daura in 2015. We who were in secondary school in mid 1970s in Lagos and were politically aware read editorials in New Nigerian penned by Daura. Some of us were critical of the backwardness and conservatism of the North BUT it was Mamman Daura, Bala Usman, and a few other guys mostly university lecturers that we saw as hope of the region.
I bet the fact that the man is even educated to Masters level is a shock to most ignorant lazy youths who comment on social media.
The other idiocy is the one about Daura living in Aso Rock. Pls shut up if you dont know. Buhari can bring any relative into Aso Rock. GEJ did and even brought extended family members. Trump has all his family in the White House with his son in law making foreign policy. Such is the power of executive presidency. If you dont know, find out or shut up. The President can make a relative part of his personal staff and instruct him to be accommodated in aso rock. The power behind the mandate we give our Presidents and governors are massive and encompassing.

Talking about a cabal is amateurish. Every presidency has a cabal. GEJ had a cabal. OBJ had a cabal. Everytime you a President says " you guys will work with me closely but I wont give the most important amongst you any appointments but you will make policy with me" then you have a cabal. Cabal also arises when a Vice Presidency is resourced from another faction of a party. George H Bush (father of George W Bush) was vice president to Ronald Reagan but throughout his VP days there was always a group (cabal) around Ronald Reagan running things and George Bush was an outsider to governance most of the time. There is a cabal around all state governors in Nigeria. There has to be. You cannot be governor without an informal group feeding you info and extending your insight into society that institutions of government dont give because they are too structured.

62 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Mamman Daura I Know By Shango by Nobody: 4:53am On Oct 18, 2019
If I'm President today, my mentor Rt.Gen John W**** will live at the White House with me for advice, no apologies for that.

What Edwin Clark was to Jonathan is what Mamman Daura is to Buhari and I don't have a problem with that.

My problem is that Buhari is not competent enough and too outdated to be President in a today's country.

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Mamman Daura I Know By Shango by Gandollar(f): 5:04am On Oct 18, 2019
So OP expected me to read this long BS this early morning just to know the man Mamman daura right? Hiss

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Mamman Daura I Know By Shango by Jimi24: 5:11am On Oct 18, 2019
J111333:
If I'm President today, my mentor Rt.Gen John W**** will live at the White House with me for advice, no apologies for that.

What Edwin Clark was to Jonathan is what Mamman Daura is to Buhari and I don't have a problem with that.

My problem is that Buhari is not competent enough and too outdated to be a president in a today's country.

The last paragraph is your opinion that I disagree with. Buharis focus has sometimes being rebuilding statutory , fiscal and operational integrity of the country that was lost. There are no modern ways to do leadership. Its the same principles since 0 a.d. You cannot computerize it. Same principles, set a vision and get people to buy into it and follow it. Buhari style is even far better than Putin, Erdogan and Trump. At least, he was through governance structures as a former military man. I find his style better than OBJ's bullying (I too know) or GEJ (appeasement of powers and bribing people to pacify them). Buhari will simply take you out if you cross boundaries ofvsovereigjity

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Mamman Daura I Know By Shango by LadySarah: 5:22am On Oct 18, 2019
We dont care about this story.

2 Likes

Re: The Mamman Daura I Know By Shango by Bighead9: 5:38am On Oct 18, 2019
Igbo's and Buhari haters right now. grin grin grin

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Mamman Daura I Know By Shango by Bede2u(m): 5:45am On Oct 18, 2019
Jimi24:

The writer knows Daura and Buhari more than Aisha. You need to realize Aisha is second wife and came into the picture when the first phase of Buhari's life had passed. He had practically lost his entire first family to divorce and later bereavement.
Nigeria is also demographically young. Most Nigerians only of Daura in 2015. We who were in secondary school in mid 1970s in Lagos and were politically aware read editorials in New Nigerian penned by Daura. Some of us were critical of the backwardness and conservatism of the North BUT it was Mamman Daura, Bala Usman, and a few other guys mostly university lecturers that we saw as hope of the region.
I bet the fact that the man is even educated to Masters level is a shock to most ignorant lazy youths who comment on social media.
The other idiocy is the one about Daura living in Aso Rock. Pls shut up if you dont know. Buhari can bring any relative into Aso Rock. GEJ did and even brought extended family members. Trump has all his family in the White House with his son in law making foreign policy. Such is the power of executive presidency. If you dont know, find out or shut up. The President can make a relative part of his personal staff and instruct him to be accommodated in aso rock. The power behind the mandate we give our Presidents and governors are massive and encompassing.

Talking about a cabal is amateurish. Every presidency has a cabal. GEJ had a cabal. OBJ had a cabal. Everytime you a President says " you guys will work with me closely but I wont give the most important amongst you any appointments but you will make policy with me" then you have a cabal. Cabal also arises when a Vice Presidency is resourced from another faction of a party. George H Bush (father of George W Bush) was vice president to Ronald Reagan but throughout his VP days there was always a group (cabal) around Ronald Reagan running things and George Bush was an outsider to governance most of the time. There is a cabal around all state governors in Nigeria. There has to be. You cannot be governor without an informal group feeding you info and extending your insight into society that institutions of government dont give because they are too structured.
lol. You my friend suffer from What I will call stupor of thought.

You are replying me with what I did not say and the ones I did say, you have not brought any evidence to back up your claim.

Mamman Daura may know Buhari more than Aisha but pray tell who is this writer and how and why would he know Buhari and Daura more than Aisha who has been in the family for over 30 years. In your overzealousness to reply me, you didn't even realise who you were attributing superior knowledge of Buhari to.

Secondly you are again emphasizing on Daura's education... can you show me in my post were I denied his education and experience? Overzealousness

Thirdly, can you point to my post and tell me were I talked about Daura living in Aso Rock? Overzealousness that shows the level of intelligence of Buhari's support base (no offense undecided)

On the fourth point which is my point and the point of well meaning Nigerians- there is a system in government that allows a president to appoint key decision makers in his government.
The reason for that system is to make sure everybody making key decisions in the administration can be held to account for their actions.
And they are usually approved by the senate before they can assume their role. Any president, governor or local government mayor who allows other non-duely-appointed aids to control much influence in their government has left himself open to appropriate criticism.

I don't expect you to agree with the bolded though... because you did not show great intelligence in your reply to me

40 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Mamman Daura I Know By Shango by Nobody: 6:03am On Oct 18, 2019
Damage Control by sycophants...

The question still remain, is Mamman Daura an elected or appointed government official to be appropriate much of executive and administrative powers?

Could the Bookers be right about Buhari's abysmal skills in governance since 1984 lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: The Mamman Daura I Know By Shango by BafanaBafana: 6:31am On Oct 18, 2019
Impressive.
Mamman Daura is honest
He is educated
He is exposed
He is not a nepotist
He has been tried and trusted in leadership
He is a good man.

1 Like

Re: The Mamman Daura I Know By Shango by scribble: 6:46am On Oct 18, 2019
The Parasite I Know

See op i fixed it for you

3 Likes

Re: The Mamman Daura I Know By Shango by Racoon(m): 7:01am On Oct 18, 2019
Spare us this bullcrap.What is Mamman Daura family doing in Aso Rock?

1 Like

Re: The Mamman Daura I Know By Shango by Oksman(m): 7:17am On Oct 18, 2019
naijapower:

This is absolutely wrong, only God is the same today and will remain same forever!

3 Likes

Re: The Mamman Daura I Know By Shango by vincent10(m): 7:20am On Oct 18, 2019
So long a letter

1 Like

Re: The Mamman Daura I Know By Shango by Lovexme(m): 10:19am On Oct 18, 2019
I've got a new and boxed iPhone XR 64GB for sale at 210k
Re: The Mamman Daura I Know By Shango by Authoreety: 10:19am On Oct 18, 2019
Ok
Re: The Mamman Daura I Know By Shango by nauto5: 10:20am On Oct 18, 2019
The one I dont know
Re: The Mamman Daura I Know By Shango by SarkinYarki: 10:21am On Oct 18, 2019
Daura for President 2023
Re: The Mamman Daura I Know By Shango by Luckysbab: 10:21am On Oct 18, 2019
I refuse to take sides on this matter. Na God know wetin no clear to man.

1 Like

Re: The Mamman Daura I Know By Shango by Built2last: 10:21am On Oct 18, 2019
Ok
Re: The Mamman Daura I Know By Shango by Officialgarri: 10:22am On Oct 18, 2019
I don't seem to see anything wrong with Mamman Daura or his role in the presidency. As far as I know, there's no president without his own cabal.

From different articles so far, I believe Daura is a very good friend and Buhari owes him

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Mamman Daura I Know By Shango by Nobody: 10:22am On Oct 18, 2019
undecided

Still doesn't explain why his daughter thought it fit to disrespect the first lady of the nation. And why him and his entire family were living in the presidential villa in the first place.

2 Likes

Re: The Mamman Daura I Know By Shango by thundafire: 10:25am On Oct 18, 2019
Long rubbish epistle then y is he struggling to have a house in villa
Re: The Mamman Daura I Know By Shango by hatchy(f): 10:25am On Oct 18, 2019
How much did Daura pay this hediot that made him sat down the whole day to compile this crap just to convince Nigerians.

Mumu Mr writer, tell us what Official role Mamman Daura have in government that would make him and his entire family to take residence in Aso villa.

2 Likes

Re: The Mamman Daura I Know By Shango by OBAGADAFFI: 10:26am On Oct 18, 2019
I grin
Re: The Mamman Daura I Know By Shango by WowSweetGuy(m): 10:26am On Oct 18, 2019
who b diz man wey dey trouble nigeria sef

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tinubu Announces 3-month Suspension Of Foreign Trips For MDAs, Ministers / Bisi And Kayode Fayemi Celebrate 30th Wedding Anniversary With Throwback Photos / Thieves Break Into Crowther Seth, Adamawa Deputy Governor's Office

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.