Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,108 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:13 PM

Can African Professionals Change Africa? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Can African Professionals Change Africa? (4105 Views)

Customer/technical Support Professionals lets meet here / Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria / Human Resource Professionals: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can African Professionals Change Africa? by maasflan: 10:22pm On Nov 09, 2010
You are welcome , here if you are a professional, lets discuss how we gonna develop africa.

can african professionals compete with american professionals ?
say the truth
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by AjanleKoko: 10:07am On Nov 10, 2010
Your title is a bit misleading.
I'm going to change it to something a bit more appropriate to the OP. Hope you don't mind. wink

Then we can discuss.
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by sayso: 12:11pm On Nov 10, 2010
who are professionals?
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by ladi02(m): 12:18pm On Nov 10, 2010
maasflan:

You are welcome , here if you are a professional, lets discuss how we gonna develop africa.

can african professionals compete with american professionals ?
say the truth

Sure Nigeria has many talented professionals that can change the economic/business outlook of Africa.

We need more access to credit however to make things happen, and a more conducive business environment e.g security, power
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by netotse(m): 12:37pm On Nov 10, 2010
@ladi
we need more than access to credit, we need to re-orient ourselves totally. We've turned rent-seeking into a culture in nigeria particularly.
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by AjanleKoko: 1:12pm On Nov 10, 2010
netotse:

@ladi
we need more than access to credit, we need to re-orient ourselves totally. We've turned rent-seeking into a culture in nigeria particularly.

African professionals can definitely change Africa. They just need to find the desire to do so.
Right now, most are more concerned with survival, even the ones in the diaspora. We're still a bit far down the maturity continuum. Most have not achieved independence, talk less of interdependence, in their mindset and thinking, not their financial status mind you.

I think South African professionals are a bit further along, as their elites seem to be more progressive than ours. In Nigeria, our entrenched culture is a major issue.
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by SALady(f): 1:42pm On Nov 10, 2010
AjanleKoko:

African professionals can definitely change Africa. They just need to find the desire to do so.
Right now, most are more concerned with survival, even the ones in the diaspora. We're still a bit far down the maturity continuum. Most have not achieved independence, talk less of interdependence, in their mindset and thinking, not their financial status mind you.

I think South African professionals are a bit further along, as their elites seem to be more progressive than ours. In Nigeria, our entrenched culture is a major issue.

Emboldment, is the concept I'd like to hear African's talk more about, then perhaps we might stand a chance to bring a fraction of some change.
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by Nobody: 2:24pm On Nov 10, 2010
AjanleKoko:

someone has been reading the 7 habits wink
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by AjanleKoko: 2:36pm On Nov 10, 2010
oyb:

someone has been reading the 7 habits  wink

In my 2nd job, it was a must-read. Our Spaniard CEO (he was one of the movers behind LBS sef) made it compulsory reading for all staff.
In my opinion, it's one of the most impactful pieces of nonfiction literature written in the 20th century, and a excellent personal guide/roadmap. I think in the 7 habits sef.
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by seunbanme: 3:09pm On Nov 10, 2010
hi
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by netotse(m): 3:58pm On Nov 10, 2010
AjanleKoko:

In my 2nd job, it was a must-read. Our Spaniard CEO (he was one of the movers behind LBS sef) made it compulsory reading for all staff.
In my opinion, it's one of the most impactful pieces of nonfiction literature written in the 20th century, and a excellent personal guide/roadmap. I think in the 7 habits sef.

oyb:

someone has been reading the 7 habits  wink

y'all have got me interested. . .i'll buy it
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by iice(f): 5:44pm On Nov 10, 2010
Not unless people themselves change.
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by Gamine(f): 6:38pm On Nov 10, 2010
Whoever these 'Professionals' are. . .
If they manage to wake up from their slumber.
perhaps. . .
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by lekside44(m): 9:19pm On Nov 10, 2010
iice:

Not unless people themselves change.

sure this is the greatest problem facing our development. a lot of people do not reason that with you, or dimmed it unnecessary since it can easily be imported from other countries
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by angrynaija: 12:26am On Nov 11, 2010
yes, as long as the mindset is right. i'm sure they are currently professionals in africa but with the wrong mindset.
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by fASHiam(m): 10:20am On Nov 11, 2010
None Africans can never change Africa for Africans, it is as simple as that.

For more information on the new Nokia nokia N8 plus best reviews of other Nokia and Blackberry phones; follow the below link
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by iice(f): 10:42am On Nov 11, 2010
lekside44:

sure this is the greatest problem facing our development. a lot of people do not reason that with you, or dimmed it unnecessary since it can easily be imported from other countries

What can easily be imported?
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by Sagamite(m): 11:42am On Nov 11, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Our Spaniard CEO (he was one of the movers behind LBS sef) made it compulsory reading for all staff.

LBS: London or Lagos?

Na Spaniard dey involved in the set up of Lagos Biz School?
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by Sagamite(m): 11:54am On Nov 11, 2010
@ Post.

I don't think our intellectual potential is inferior to any other.

We might even have a lot of highly qualified professionals but it is the systems and processes that are inferior.

Our work ethic/results orientation/teamwork mentality and culture is totally messed up. For example, in Nigeria, people want to start a business today and be a millionaire next week. They want to put in minimal effort but reap maximum benefits  (or in some cases, just cheat their way out to the benefits). Even when doing work, the average Nigerian is not trying to do the best they possible can do with the resources they have, they just want to do about enough to get results above the minimum, which below will lead to rejection of the work. That is what I call the "Abeg, e don do. We don try" Nigerian work approach.

These might be a by-product of the total rut that corruption has brought to the country. People are just looking for daily survival and don't believe in the system to want to contribute to it or give their best. The people in power do no have the moral capital to lead and demand from the people. Societies need leaders to guide the majority of the population God has created as followers because of this lack of moral capital from most leaders, I think a lot of African nations are leaderless. They just have oppressors who tag themselves nominally as leaders.

We need to overhaul the mentality and culture.
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by AjanleKoko: 12:40pm On Nov 11, 2010
Sagamite:

LBS: London or Lagos?

Na Spaniard dey involved in the set up of Lagos Biz School?

Lagos.
3 Spaniards in fact. Before they got the license to operate as Pan-African Uni, they were awarding MBAs from IESE Narravo to LBS grads.
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by tefund(m): 12:56pm On Nov 11, 2010
First,we must banish inferiority complex that is hanging over all africa.
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by Sagamite(m): 5:05pm On Nov 11, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Lagos.
3 Spaniards in fact. Before they got the license to operate as Pan-African Uni, they were awarding MBAs from IESE Narravo to LBS grads.

Wow. I didn't know that.
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by maasflan: 5:31pm On Nov 11, 2010
for me i know God has given us the pontential to change our world, its now left to us to use it.
the solution is an individual thing, therefore it starts from you.how have you been effective andrelevent in your office.if all of us can change our offices for good then , africa is changed already, think about that.

by, www.grou.ps/mypromate connecting african professionals both at home and in diaspora
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by aniffy4eva(m): 10:36pm On Nov 11, 2010
Great topic!
I really believe that African professionals CAN change Africa but we have get involved in one area that we don't like to talk about, POLITICS,

For change to happen at the macro-level, we need to have the POWER to do so, in a way that will have more impact on a greater % of the population. To cause the change we seek, to enhance the effectiveness of our systems and processes, we need to be able to make good laws and policies, and also ensure that the rule of law is enforced effectively.

Charity and a few businesses here and there has never led to a Nation's change, at least not in a country with over 140m people. We need to have the right professionals, making the right policies and ensuring that they are executed by the right people. That, i believe, is the first step in the right direction.
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by SSaemoenl(m): 10:53pm On Nov 11, 2010
Why NOT, as am turning things around here in Italy, why not in Africa, But only environmentally friendly will encourages that.
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by ogie5(f): 2:44am On Nov 12, 2010
Im so happy to see this topic, as it has been what I have been discussing with friends and course mates for most part of the week.

I'ld like to say, YES WE CAN! Africa has got good human capital (i.e educated ppl), both at home and in diaspora. To change Africa:

1. Those(PROFESSIONALS) in diaspora need to think more about coming home, investing in out father/motherland where our skills, experiences, etc are needed.
2. Those at home need to have a new mentality. First things first, we shld change our mentality of 'african time'. How about we all set ourselves challenges for the next few days and endeavour to be 'on time', to work, church, apppointments,etc. Being punctual is a very important skill needed for any change to happen.

, more to come
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by AjanleKoko: 10:46am On Nov 12, 2010
aniffy4eva:

Great topic!
I really believe that African professionals CAN change Africa but we have get involved in one area that we don't like to talk about, POLITICS,

For change to happen at the macro-level, we need to have the POWER to do so, in a way that will have more impact on a greater % of the population. To cause the change we seek, to enhance the effectiveness of our systems and processes, we need to be able to make good laws and policies, and also ensure that the rule of law is enforced effectively.

Charity and a few businesses here and there has never led to a Nation's change, at least not in a country with over 140m people. We need to have the right professionals, making the right policies and ensuring that they are executed by the right people. That, i believe, is the first step in the right direction.

Agreed.
The greatest crime we are all committing against our continent is refusing to get involved. We stand aside and watch while a host of other strange people repeatedly reap all the good of the continent. And we do nothing except complain.
We all have supposedly good reasons for this; but it doesn't change a thing - we still have to get involved. No matter what our peculiar bias is, we need to get off our backsides and find a way to do something.
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by cecegorz(m): 11:08am On Nov 12, 2010
oyb:

someone has been reading the 7 habits wink
I think reading and learning that masterpiece should be a part of every interview session  grin I really love that Emotional Intelligence concept too. that's by the way.

Anyways, i think our professionals attitude are no less selfish than that of our politicians. Every body is just in for the moneeeeeeeeeeeeeeey!
Africans as a people generally are yet to think beyond parochial interests, maybe because its easier for people to go back to poverty with the same speed they climbed the corporate ladder once the tides turn; and i guess the tide turns more frquently in this part of the world.

My opinion is that when politicians start rolling out firm policies that guarantee people meeting basic life needs on a prolonged term, the shackles will be off people's mind, and they can think of the society at large and how to pursue the greater good.
No matter how professional your views and proposals are, a Minister (political appointee) that knows no jack about the field can turn your soundly articulated solutions upside down, just because implementation must come from his approval.
It's really a vicious cycle.
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by lekside44(m): 4:00pm On Nov 12, 2010
iice:

What can easily be imported?

everything. from mobile phones to tv to dvd to cars, electronics, engines, , in fact almost everything.

AjanleKoko:

Agreed.
The greatest crime we are all committing against our continent is refusing to get involved. We stand aside and watch while a host of other strange people repeatedly reap all the good of the continent. And we do nothing except complain.
We all have supposedly good reasons for this; but it doesn't change a thing - we still have to get involved. No matter what our peculiar bias is, we need to get off our backsides and find a way to do something.

sure, but who will dear stand against bombs, AK 47,grenades, acids, just to name a few. well, i have started digging trench in my bedroom against the upcoming elections. i will monitor the reports via cnn, internet and even nairaland grin
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by Nobody: 1:36am On Nov 13, 2010
AjanleKoko:

[b]African professionals can definitely change Africa. They just need to find the desire to do so.[/b]Right now, most are more concerned with survival, even the ones in the diaspora. We're still a bit far down the maturity continuum. Most have not achieved independence, talk less of interdependence, in their mindset and thinking, not their financial status mind you.

I agree.
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by aniffy4eva(m): 1:12am On Nov 15, 2010
Please permit me to beam the spotlight on Nigeria.

Although this may sound a little "hard-to-believe", but i think change is gradually happening in Nigeria. Probably not at the speed i'd like for it to happen. However, certain indicators are pointing in the right direction:-

1. Nigerians desire change and the "fire" is also catching on this generation, through leverage on social media and the internet. We have different groups advocating for change, better nigeria, zero corruption etc.
2. I anticipate that there will be a high influx of skilled graduates in diaspora, in the near future,(it's already happening now tho') cos one way or the other, everyone is beginning to believe in Nigeria's future. We must understand that this group of people are likely to form part of the elite of this country in the next decade.
3. If democracy continues, violence in Niger-Delta & religious riots cease in Nigeria, more multinationals will likely invest as more opportunities are being made available.
4. If Oshodi (in Lagos) can change to what it is today, if motorists can use their seat-belts and stop when traffic lights are RED (not 100% yet tho') while driving in Nigeria, who says Nigeria's issues (and Africa at large) can't be solved? Change can have a "snowball" effect. All it takes is for someone to start and for others to study and replicate in their fields.

cecegorz:

Anyways, i think our professionals attitude are no less selfish than that of our politicians. Every body is just in for the moneeeeeeeeeeeeeeey!
Africans as a people generally are yet to think beyond parochial interests

Not everyone is in for the money, cheesy It is human nature to think of selfish interests, but a system is supposed to coordinate these individual activities in such a way that would create value for the populace.
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by AjanleKoko: 8:02am On Nov 15, 2010
aniffy4eva:

Please permit me to beam the spotlight on Nigeria.

Although this may sound a little "hard-to-believe", but i think change is gradually happening in Nigeria. Probably not at the speed i'd like for it to happen. However, certain indicators are pointing in the right direction:-

1. Nigerians desire change and the "fire" is also catching on this generation, through leverage on social media and the internet. We have different groups advocating for change, better nigeria, zero corruption etc.
2. I anticipate that there will be a high influx of skilled graduates in diaspora, in the near future,(it's already happening now tho') cos one way or the other, everyone is beginning to believe in Nigeria's future. We must understand that this group of people are likely to form part of the elite of this country in the next decade.
3. If democracy continues, violence in Niger-Delta & religious riots cease in Nigeria, more multinationals will likely invest as more opportunities are being made available.
4. If Oshodi (in Lagos) can change to what it is today, if motorists can use their seat-belts and stop when traffic lights are RED (not 100% yet tho') while driving in Nigeria, who says Nigeria's issues (and Africa at large) can't be solved? Change can have a "snowball" effect. All it takes is for someone to start and for others to study and replicate in their fields.

Not everyone is in for the money, cheesy It is human nature to think of selfish interests, but a system is supposed to coordinate these individual activities in such a way that would create value for the populace.

You certainly got that bolded part right.
Change is definitely coming. Even the poli-trick-cians these days don't deceive themselves; they know they are hated by the people. And somehow the people are gradually beginning to find a voice.
The influx of people from diaspora . . . well, for now, it appears mostly the children of the current elite are the ones coming back home, along with a few jobseekers. So I'm not yet too optimistic about that. I would like to see more of accomplished people coming back to start something to support the local economy, rather than a crew of 'elite' job-seekers. I know a lot of people who have made their mark out there, and Nigeria is not even on their radar.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Can You Do With A Mathematics Degree? / Foreign Newspapers And Industry Magazines Can Help Your Career / Phri/hrbp Exam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.