Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,057 members, 7,838,686 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:58 AM

Can African Professionals Change Africa? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Can African Professionals Change Africa? (4113 Views)

Customer/technical Support Professionals lets meet here / Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria / Human Resource Professionals: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by femmy323: 3:58pm On Jan 18, 2011
NO,because we are increasing in AFRICAN but we are not developing tongue[flash=200,200]">http://grin wink[/flash].
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by snthesis(m): 1:51pm On Jan 24, 2011
nice thread albeit the title is somewhat derogatory

"A professional is an expert who is master in a specific field"

now when u tag a professional by adding a race, what u achieve is creating a racially induced attribute to the term, in other words u belittle the term "professional". The topic would have been better titled as "Can Professionals with African Origin change Africa?" buttressing my point u are either a P.E (Professional Engineer) or not, neva came across a Professional African/European/Asian/Martian Engineer angry tonguegrin grin grin

@topic
yes, we can grin
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by AjanleKoko: 4:25pm On Jan 24, 2011
snthesis:

nice thread albeit the title is somewhat derogatory

"A professional is an expert who is master in a specific field"

now when u tag a professional by adding a race, what u achieve is creating a racially induced attribute to the term, in other words u belittle the term "professional". The topic would have been better titled as "Can Professionals with African Origin change Africa?" buttressing my point u are either a P.E (Professional Engineer) or not, neva came across a Professional African/European/Asian/Martian Engineer angry tonguegrin grin grin

@topic
yes, we can grin

That definition, is it from some dictionary? Cos 'professional' certainly does not infer expertise or mastery of anything.

'African Professional', in the context of this thread, refers to African professionals based in Africa.
A professional of African origin based in, say, Europe, is not what we're referring to here. Even Arabs and white South Africans, or even Africans of Indian ancestry based in Africa, are all African professionals.

Hope that clears it up.
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by snthesis(m): 5:47pm On Jan 24, 2011
Pls tell me u were kiddin " Cos 'professional' certainly does not infer expertise or mastery of anything" shocked shocked
So wats ur definition of a professional?

D context African professional is wrong[its a stigma], sadly its a widespread bug, which I honestly don't blame you for being not enlightened. That's why d pecking order in d industry is US/UK Professionals">European Professional>Asian Profesional>African Professionals" this is regardless of weda u attended d same universities [u r being judged by d color of ur passport], d exception however lies when u have enuf xperience with world renowned companies.
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by Wallie(m): 7:57pm On Jan 24, 2011
Interesting definition of the word “professional.” Being a “professional” just means that one earns a living doing a certain function. Chances are that you will be an expert at it, otherwise why would someone pay you, but you don’t have to be.

@Ajanlekoko
I took the “plane meaning” of the title to be “professionals of African origin.” In other words, I’m differentiating between “Africa’s professionals” and “African professionals”. But, you are saying that the title should be read in context of the thread, which is perfectly valid and would change the meaning. This is why lawyers can read the same clause and come to different meanings:-)

@snthesis
But can you be a Professional Engineer of African origin? I think qualifiers are needed at times to better express ourselves. I don’t see anything derogatory in saying “African professionals” as he didn’t want to address other professionals.
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by snthesis(m): 9:44pm On Jan 24, 2011
@wallie
U make sense. I guess we agree dat a professional is sum1 dat gets paid for a task he/she has been trained in.

In regards to d "African Professional" tingy, tis a personal issue and it boils down to cash "African Professionals" ar paid d least, y? cos dey honestly don't believe we can achieve/ develop anything- its quite sad? Always goin d extra mile to prove one's worth.
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by AjanleKoko: 9:47pm On Jan 24, 2011
snthesis:

Pls tell me u were kiddin " Cos 'professional' certainly does not infer expertise or mastery of anything" shocked shocked
So wats your definition of a professional?

D context African professional is wrong[its a stigma], sadly its a widespread bug, which I honestly don't blame you for being not enlightened. That's why d pecking order in d industry is US/UK Professionals">European Professional>Asian Profesional>African Professionals" this is regardless of weda u attended d same universities [u r being judged by d color of your passport], d exception however lies when u have enuf xperience with world renowned companies.

No vex sir.
I took my learnings from Merriam and Webster, who had this to say:

Definition of PROFESSIONAL

a : of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession
b : engaged in one of the learned professions
c (1) : characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession (2) : exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace
a : participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs <a professional golfer>
b : having a particular profession as a permanent career <a professional soldier>
c : engaged in by persons receiving financial return <professional football>
: following a line of conduct as though it were a profession <a professional patriot>
— pro·fes·sion·al·ly adverb

Now, on the question of 'African professional'. Grammatically speaking, I used the adjective African in an attempt to properly qualify the type of professional the OP wanted to discuss. Quoting OP here:

You are welcome , here if you are a professional, lets discuss how we gonna develop africa.

can african professionals compete with  american professionals ?
say the truth

Ideally you should be asking the OP your question, rather than me undecided
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by AjanleKoko: 9:52pm On Jan 24, 2011
snthesis:

In regards to d "African Professional" tingy, tis a personal issue and it boils down to cash "African Professionals" ar paid d least, y? cos dey honestly don't believe we can achieve/ develop anything- its quite sad? Always goin d extra mile to prove one's worth.

Now here is something I can reasonably reply to.
First off, I don't believe we are the least paid. Not at all.
Many Asian professionals working in their home countries are paid far less than many African professionals working in Africa.
Also, the dynamics of the global labour market is all about what the various blocs have to offer. A number of factors, such as the strength of the various economies where these professionals are working, the historical competencies, even globalization, have a bearing on who gets paid what.
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by snthesis(m): 9:38am On Jan 25, 2011
AjanleKoko:

No vex sir.

Definition of PROFESSIONAL

a : of, relating to, or characteristic of a
AjanleKoko link=topic=548303.msg7595597#msg7595597 date=1295902047:

No vex sir.

[i]Definition of PROFESSIONAL

a : of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession
b : engaged in one of the learned professions
c (1) : characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession (2) : exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace
a : participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs <a professional golfer>
b : having a particular profession as a permanent career <a professional soldier>
c : engaged in by persons receiving financial return <professional football>
: following a line of conduct as though it were a profession <a professional patriot>
— pro·fes·sion·al·ly adverb

u should have taken the research tongue abit further by looking at the definition of "Profession".

from Merriam and Webster, who also had this to say:

Definition of PROFESSION
1: the act of taking the vows of a religious community
2: an act of openly declaring or publicly claiming a belief,
faith, or opinion : PROTESTATION
3: an avowed religious faith
4a : a calling requiring specialized knowledge and often long
and intensive academic preparation

b : a principal calling, vocation, or employment
c : the whole body of persons engaged in a calling

Examples of PROFESSION
The doctor talked to students who are thinking about
entering the profession.

Most professions in the medical field require years of
training.

now compare this to your quote
AjanleKoko:

That definition, is it from some dictionary? Cos 'professional' certainly does not infer expertise or mastery of anything.
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by snthesis(m): 9:56am On Jan 25, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Now, on the question of 'African professional'. Grammatically speaking, I used the adjective African in an attempt to properly qualify the type of professional the OP wanted to discuss. Quoting OP here:

Ideally you should be asking the OP your question, rather than me undecided

the question really is "was i asking u?
all i did was add my lil tuppence do the Topic.

AjanleKoko:

First off, I don't believe [/b]we are the least paid. Not at all.

has nothing to do with ur belief- fact is we are- i know cause i have the rates/per hour (for a number of firms) right in front of me, and the trend is d same.

AjanleKoko:

[b]Many Asian professionals working in their home countries are paid far less than many African professionals working in Africa.

offtopic tongue!!!we are not comparing economies here.
wat i referred to- is a multi-national coy havin different wages for different nationalities performing similar functions.

AjanleKoko:

Also, the dynamics of the global labour market is all about what the various blocs have to offer. A number of factors, such as the strength of the various economies where these professionals are working, the historical competencies, even globalization, have a bearing on who gets paid what.
finally cheesy, u make small sense
Re: Can African Professionals Change Africa? by hypeguy: 8:20am On Jan 01, 2015

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

After Graduation, What Next? / What Can You Do With A Mathematics Degree? / Phri/hrbp Exam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.