Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,499 members, 7,836,943 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:48 PM

We Didn't Ask MTN To Charge For USSD - Banks - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / We Didn't Ask MTN To Charge For USSD - Banks (25955 Views)

MTN To Launch 5G Network In 7 States In Nigeria / Leaked Memo Shows Banks Asked Telcos To Charge For USSD (pics) / Banks To Charge You For Recharging Via USSD As From October 21 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Didn't Ask MTN To Charge For USSD - Banks by OlisaOsega87: 3:17pm On Oct 22, 2019
First paragraph, the banks did not ask MTN to start charging customers. Second paragraph, MTN is the only telco that are yet to implement the end user Billing.

Both paragraphs are contradicting. If MTN are yet to implement the end user billing, how will they do that without charging?? Lmaoooo very funny

oshozondii:

Commercial banks on Monday denied instructing MTN to deduct charges for USSD.

In an advertorial, the lenders, acting under the aegis of Body of Bank CEOs said its attention had been drawn to a text message sent by the telco concerning the issue.

“Our attention has been drawn to SMS sent on Saturday 19th October by MTN Nigeria Communications PLC to customers of banks in Nigeria in respect of the above.

The message states that the banks requested MTN to start charging customers for USSD transactions directly. It also ask customers to contact their banks for more information. We wish to state as follows:

“That the banks did not ask MTN to start charging customers as contained in the text message. The decision on whether and what amount to charge a customer for accessing USSD is entirely that of the telco in the same way a customer is billed for calls SMS and data.

“MTN is the only telco that is yet to implement end-user billing which is the standard practice for customer initiated transactions. This is despite the fact that the banks working with the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) have engaged MTN over a period of more than one year to try and bring down the cost of USSD to aid financial inclusion.

“That the banks are determined to pursue the Nigerian National Financial Inclusion Strategy of the Federal Government of Nigeria and we continue to advocate that telcos identify whole-heartedly with this laudable initiative and implement transparent and low pricing model in the USSD access code.

“We wish to reitrate that financial transaction charges are regulated by the CBN as stipulated in the Banks Tariff and that the charges for financial transactions carried out with banks remain unchanged.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thenationonlineng.net/banks-we-didnt-ask-mtn-to-charge-for-ussd/amp/

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: We Didn't Ask MTN To Charge For USSD - Banks by Tiramisu: 3:21pm On Oct 22, 2019
Banks denying Telcos........Pot calling kettle black......All their own transaction charges that don't make sense. They now want to deny MTN from charging banking transactions using their own network. (you'll make a transaction with your MTN line, the bank would charge you for the transaction, but MTN cannot charge?) Think am well.
Other networks(Airtel, 9mobile and Glo) actually charge for USSD transactions, why is it that it's when MTN wants to start charging that they are talking? There's something more to this abeg.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Didn't Ask MTN To Charge For USSD - Banks by Nobody: 3:26pm On Oct 22, 2019
Corporate fraud,one will expect efcc and Sars to go after like they do to fraudsters and yahoo boys....Well,as they said OLE ni everybody,e'ni ti won ba mu ni barawo except me,Omo T and some few others sha wink
Re: We Didn't Ask MTN To Charge For USSD - Banks by magicfingers009: 3:26pm On Oct 22, 2019
Did you lots read the part where they said “MTN is the only Telco yet to implement the charge” Glo and Airtel have been charging customers since and we never took notice not until recently when I decided to watch my airtime balance. They (Glo) even admitted it in a tweet to me.

The telcos are scammers

1 Like

Re: We Didn't Ask MTN To Charge For USSD - Banks by magicfingers009: 3:29pm On Oct 22, 2019
It’s actually true. MTN is yet to implement the charge. Glo has been charging me N5 for every USSD transaction and they never informed me of such development.

I think MTN casted other networks here. NCC should better show up strong.

OlisaOsega87:
First paragraph, the banks did not ask MTN to start charging customers. Second paragraph, MTN is the only telco that are yet to implement the end user Billing.

Both paragraphs are contradicting. If MTN are yet to implement the end user billing, how will they do that without charging?? Lmaoooo very funny

1 Like

Re: We Didn't Ask MTN To Charge For USSD - Banks by magicfingers009: 3:31pm On Oct 22, 2019
My point exactly! MTN is the hero here. The others have been secretly charging people but we never noticed.

I’m so livid right now. I need to port to MTN at least till they join the bandwagon.
Foolishbuhari:
MTN did y'all a favor by disclosure! All others have been collecting these charges on a low since and y'all could say nothing!

Truly Nigerians don't know their problems even if it stared them in the eyes

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Didn't Ask MTN To Charge For USSD - Banks by Iko5000: 3:34pm On Oct 22, 2019
Anyone that believes these banks will believe anything in life .

To be fair if I’m the Telco company I will cut off USSD transactions . You should either go through the App or go to the bank . Period .

1 Like

Re: We Didn't Ask MTN To Charge For USSD - Banks by SmartTeck: 3:35pm On Oct 22, 2019
Nawao!
Re: We Didn't Ask MTN To Charge For USSD - Banks by Mummiesboy: 3:45pm On Oct 22, 2019
Nawa oh

1 Like 1 Share

Re: We Didn't Ask MTN To Charge For USSD - Banks by Suljosh: 3:48pm On Oct 22, 2019
Once i don't have call card on my 9mobile line i can't recharge from my bank......fidelity Bank.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Didn't Ask MTN To Charge For USSD - Banks by Oyerinde16(m): 4:10pm On Oct 22, 2019
If you read the bank statement properly, you will see they cunningly left MTNN in the cold after a boardroom agreement MTNN implemented went wrong. Banks have told all the telcos to charge customers, glo, airtel implemented it secretly longtime ago without raising eyebrows MTNN notified customers and the banks said they did not ask MTNN to do so that in fact MTNN is the only bank yet to do so... Read between the lines.

2 Likes

Re: We Didn't Ask MTN To Charge For USSD - Banks by SolarHub(m): 4:13pm On Oct 22, 2019
Ok! Thank you

YOU WANT TO ENJOY AT LEAST 8 HOURS ELECTRICITY DAILY WITH OUR 1KVA SOLAR SYSTEM? CHECK MY SIGNATURE NOW
Re: We Didn't Ask MTN To Charge For USSD - Banks by ITbomb(m): 4:22pm On Oct 22, 2019
The only person wey sabi book
maasoap:

Banks are simply saying MTN and other TelCos should be charging customers fairly when using USSD. That Telcos don't need any go ahead from banks, that it should be between Telcos and bank customers, that network providers shouldn't drag them into this issue
Thank you
maasoap:

Man, I love you for this post of yours. Many didn't even understand what they're reading and discussing here. Yet, you see them saying MTN is in trouble, MTN is a thief. Even when the Body of Banks CEOs said that MTN is the only network that has not started charging banks customers for using USSD.
Re: We Didn't Ask MTN To Charge For USSD - Banks by Sensenan: 4:58pm On Oct 22, 2019
With this criminal act MTN has to be sanctioned immediately. NCC over to you.
Re: We Didn't Ask MTN To Charge For USSD - Banks by nick50(m): 5:43pm On Oct 22, 2019
Fg directed mtn and other network providers to start charging us for ussd banking I wonder why the CBN is denying it
Re: We Didn't Ask MTN To Charge For USSD - Banks by shayourfunmee: 5:58pm On Oct 22, 2019
Is not only MTN that charge for USSD, even Airtel does the same thing, if you don't have call card, you cannot use USSD.

Commercial banks on Monday denied instructing MTN to deduct charges for USSD.

In an advertorial, the lenders, acting under the aegis of Body of Bank CEOs said its attention had been drawn to a text message sent by the telco concerning the issue.

“Our attention has been drawn to SMS sent on Saturday 19th October by MTN Nigeria Communications PLC to customers of banks in Nigeria in respect of the above.

The message states that the banks requested MTN to start charging customers for USSD transactions directly. It also ask customers to contact their banks for more information. We wish to state as follows:

“That the banks did not ask MTN to start charging customers as contained in the text message. The decision on whether and what amount to charge a customer for accessing USSD is entirely that of the telco in the same way a customer is billed for calls SMS and data.

“MTN is the only telco that is yet to implement end-user billing which is the standard practice for customer initiated transactions. This is despite the fact that the banks working with the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) have engaged MTN over a period of more than one year to try and bring down the cost of USSD to aid financial inclusion.

“That the banks are determined to pursue the Nigerian National Financial Inclusion Strategy of the Federal Government of Nigeria and we continue to advocate that telcos identify whole-heartedly with this laudable initiative and implement transparent and low pricing model in the USSD access code.

“We wish to reitrate that financial transaction charges are regulated by the CBN as stipulated in the Banks Tariff and that the charges for financial transactions carried out with banks remain unchanged.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thenationonlineng.net/banks-we-didnt-ask-mtn-to-charge-for-ussd/amp/
[/quote]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: We Didn't Ask MTN To Charge For USSD - Banks by Naijaarchive(m): 6:16pm On Oct 22, 2019
Something gtbank and airtel have been silently chopping... Mtn don ruin their runz grin grin
Re: We Didn't Ask MTN To Charge For USSD - Banks by Legendguru: 6:29pm On Oct 22, 2019
Hmmm
Re: We Didn't Ask MTN To Charge For USSD - Banks by Awaja(m): 6:47pm On Oct 22, 2019
acenazt:
MTN Showing us They are A South African Company. In our own country trying to extort using The names of our banks so boldly. This one is strong
Elei ngidigon,trying to extend financial xenophobia to our own land ,something severe needs to be done about this ,NBC should slam dem $9.6 billion sanction for excessive deductions or wanton negligence.
Re: We Didn't Ask MTN To Charge For USSD - Banks by ceasare: 7:14pm On Oct 22, 2019
Why is everyone shouting like it's only my that's guilty of this so called surcharging.all d telcos do it too except u don't check ur balance after initiating any used transaction.. so all of them should be fined or asked to stop d charges.but what do we have? A clueless n profit making CBN with a scam artist at its helms of affair! U mean CBN govnor,banks CEOs n NCC are not aware of d charges on or b4 now? I think they resides in Pluto....
Re: We Didn't Ask MTN To Charge For USSD - Banks by ceasare: 7:30pm On Oct 22, 2019
Oyerinde16:
If you read the bank statement properly, you will see they cunningly left MTNN in the cold after a boardroom agreement MTNN implemented went wrong. Banks have told all the telcos to charge customers, glo, airtel implemented it secretly longtime ago without raising eyebrows MTNN notified customers and the banks said they did not ask MTNN to do so that in fact MTNN is the only bank yet to do so... Read between the lines.

Really?!! Then we should applaud MTN cos d other telcos hv been charging for long n d bankers are acting as if they don't know.can u imagine?
Re: We Didn't Ask MTN To Charge For USSD - Banks by Damoche10: 7:48pm On Oct 22, 2019
MTN should pay fine to Nigeria govt for this corrupt act!!!
Re: We Didn't Ask MTN To Charge For USSD - Banks by Exponental(m): 8:16pm On Oct 22, 2019
Despite our generosity, should the xenophobic owned MTN still rob us
Re: We Didn't Ask MTN To Charge For USSD - Banks by Jtayor(m): 8:40pm On Oct 22, 2019
Na was o. Evrybodi jus dey do wetin dem lyk. Na anoda xenophobia b dis or wat? MTN, no make naijas vex.
Re: We Didn't Ask MTN To Charge For USSD - Banks by Kingnonny(m): 9:57pm On Oct 22, 2019
I was charged today, after getting the message. It's very bad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: We Didn't Ask MTN To Charge For USSD - Banks by acenazt: 6:53am On Oct 23, 2019
FarahAideed:

Extort you ? Do you how expensive a session of USSD is ? USSd has never been free so don't let these banks deceive U
they should have kept quiet and continue the way they were doing

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How I Lost My Phone And Lessons To Be Learnt / What Is MTN Points And How Can I Use It? / Glo Leads In New Internet Subscription

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.