Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,946 members, 7,835,144 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:00 AM

What Can One Do With A Sociology Degree? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Can One Do With A Sociology Degree? (19771 Views)

Is Sociology A Nice Course To Study In Nigeria? / Graduates Of Sociology, Where Are You Working Now? / Raji Khalid Olatunji, 19-Year-Old UNILORIN First Class Graduand Of Sociology (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Can One Do With A Sociology Degree? by Mryacks: 7:25pm On Oct 25, 2019
OyiboPep:
I have a friend who graduated from Sociology in one of these universities.

What sociologists do is study societies and try to see the way they change. That way they can help present conclusions that'll help a government proffer solutions to social change.

If Nigeria was a functioning place, your sister would have been guaranteed a job as organisations need them to help project for the future.
But this is Nigeria where nothing works.

You are right on this. Ironically, sociologist are needed even more in climes like ours but we don't seem to value them over here.
Re: What Can One Do With A Sociology Degree? by lexy2014: 9:25pm On Oct 25, 2019
lajid:

Thanks for the advice. Please which professional course do you suggest she enrol into.

There's none because there's no sociology professional course. If u want to go far in Sociology, then b a master in research & its many methodologies. Sociology is about research. Learn research. If u aren't, then go learn something else. D other guy mentioned IT. IT isn't sociology. It is a means to fill ur stomach when u no a degree in sociology can't get u a source of income
Re: What Can One Do With A Sociology Degree? by lexy2014: 9:27pm On Oct 25, 2019
Longman6:
Dear OP,

I majored in sociology, finished 2015.... and its been amazing so far.

Snapshot of my resume.

Bussiness Analyst: in a tier 2 Management consulting firm 2017-2018

Strategy Analyst in a top tier investment banking firm, 2018-date

CFA scholarship recipient

Volunteer Research Analyst: Lagos Bussines School

Policy Writer: Stears Bussiness ( Google to see the caliber of writers on the network)

For the sake of those who feel it's not very rewarding to study sociology, My salary is between 280-350 monthly.

In all, I have come to notice that the average sociology student falls under societal limitations/ assumptions.

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, as long as it is genuine, a friend of mine studied Guidance and Counseling and is now an associate at Bank of America......

Go to school, be good, gain practical experience through internships and never feel as if anyone is better than you because of your course of study......the competition is not your colleague studying that fine course but your mate who graduated at Harvard and is refined...

Did u achieve all this cos u read sociology?
Re: What Can One Do With A Sociology Degree? by Longman6(m): 10:42pm On Oct 25, 2019
lexy2014:

Did u achieve all this cos u read sociology?

I honesty cant say, but studying sociology hasn't placed a limit on my ambitions...
Re: What Can One Do With A Sociology Degree? by midnighter(f): 11:08pm On Oct 25, 2019
-Teach

-Work on government policy

-Help research/write television dramas/ children's television/ informative programmes

- Work for an NGO

-Journalism and broadcasting (though that may need extra training)

- Maybe something to do with architecture and town planning. There is not enough consideration put into where one chooses to build a nightclub, a church, etc. Im sure it does affect the psyche of the people living there
Re: What Can One Do With A Sociology Degree? by lexy2014: 8:36am On Oct 26, 2019
Longman6:

I honesty cant say, but studying sociology hasn't placed a limit on my ambitions...

I agree but d writer was interested in what opportunities sociology provides
Re: What Can One Do With A Sociology Degree? by MrJaay(m): 4:57pm On Oct 26, 2019
wwwkaycom:
Teacher, Admin Officer, Security/ Intelligence Officer, Lecturer with additional degrees, journalist, writer, and many more.
Re: What Can One Do With A Sociology Degree? by ebuka1997: 1:36pm On Apr 30, 2021
Longman6:
Dear OP,

I majored in sociology, finished 2015.... and its been amazing so far.

Snapshot of my resume.

Bussiness Analyst: in a tier 2 Management consulting firm 2017-2018

Strategy Analyst in a top tier investment banking firm, 2018-date

CFA scholarship recipient

Volunteer Research Analyst: Lagos Bussines School

Policy Writer: Stears Bussiness ( Google to see the caliber of writers on the network)

For the sake of those who feel it's not very rewarding to study sociology, My salary is between 280-350 monthly.

In all, I have come to notice that the average sociology student falls under societal limitations/ assumptions.

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, as long as it is genuine, a friend of mine studied Guidance and Counseling and is now an associate at Bank of America......

Go to school, be good, gain practical experience through internships and never feel as if anyone is better than you because of your course of study......the competition is not your colleague studying that fine course but your mate who graduated at Harvard and is refined...

Hey bro, I read that your article and I was impressed. If you are able to help a starting media outfit to write maybe 1 or 2 articles that’ll be helpful. You can have a look at https://economiesofafrica.com/

Regards. Ebuka

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Nigerian Universities Can't Be World Best- Ibrahim Garba ABU Vice-Chancellor / Covenant University Ranked 36th Fastest Growing Young University In The World / Bus Conveying UNILAG Convocation Gown Vandalised

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.