Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,461 members, 7,846,926 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 07:35 AM

Android, Anyone? - Phones (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Android, Anyone? (184006 Views)

Where Can I Get The Oneplus One Android. Anyone? / Icmp Isssh Android Anyone droid vpn + bis? / Android, Anyone? Part II (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (112) (Go Down)

Re: Android, Anyone? by DoubleN(m): 10:06pm On Mar 09, 2011
Your welcome boss!
Re: Android, Anyone? by na2day(m): 10:44pm On Mar 09, 2011
shocked wow!
Very nice and free, I'm impressed!
thanks double n wink
Re: Android, Anyone? by DoubleN(m): 10:59pm On Mar 09, 2011
Your welcome once again. I was also suprised when i saw that all the features where free.
Re: Android, Anyone? by Phestous(m): 8:21pm On Mar 10, 2011
Hi Na2day,
I have an iphone 3gs and I'm planning to replace it with htc hd2 coz I learnt there more matured apps on android than on IOS. Whats ur take on my decision. I really need ur advice.
Re: Android, Anyone? by DoubleN(m): 9:07pm On Mar 10, 2011
Phestous:

Hi Na2day,
I have an iphone 3gs and I'm planning to replace it with htc hd2 coz I learnt there more matured apps on android than on IOS. Whats your take on my decision. I really need your advice.

You are facing the battle of freedom(Andriod) versus Control(IOS). The Apple IOS itunes store has more than twice the amount of apps on the andriod market place but a large number of them are paids apps which can always be gotton by jailbreaking your phone. On the other hand,over 80% of the apps on the andriod market place are free.It all boils down to what you want. They are both quality phones but seeing that the iphone 3GS will soon be outdated i suggest you upgrade to either an iphone4 or get the HTC HD2, its a hell of a beast!
Re: Android, Anyone? by Phestous(m): 10:19pm On Mar 10, 2011
@ Double N,
Thanks alot. Someone actually told me about iphone4 nd htc hd2 but I decided to opt for htc b'cos I would love to have an android experience.
Re: Android, Anyone? by lynxnoon(m): 11:16pm On Mar 10, 2011
wink
Re: Android, Anyone? by Guddy(m): 4:09pm On Mar 12, 2011
How much can one get a fairly used htc hd2 now?
Re: Android, Anyone? by otumfour(m): 7:09am On Mar 13, 2011
My Androidification

Re: Android, Anyone? by flagship(m): 2:02pm On Mar 13, 2011
guddy,

don't be deceived the HTC HD2 is not an android phone.it has the outdated Windows 6.5. very stupid phone. I wanted it first! you want a good deal, go for the HTC desire. daz the one am using now. brand-new is now 63k and UK used is now 43k at affordables! I bought mine UK used last year Nov at 60k but you won't believe its not brand new if you see it now
their number is
Re: Android, Anyone? by sunky644(m): 6:08pm On Mar 13, 2011
Anybody in the house with Samsung Galaxy S, precisely T959 or Tab (all using the android tech), be informed not to joke with your code, part of the phone's security is that it locks every 4months and the only thing that unlocks it is the code. Its a lovely fone and I enjoy it real good.
Re: Android, Anyone? by texazzpete(m): 4:16pm On Mar 14, 2011
flagship:

guddy,

don't be deceived the HTC HD2 is not an android phone.it has the outdated Windows 6.5. very silly phone. I wanted it first! you want a good deal, go for the HTC desire. daz the one am using now. brand-new is now 63k and UK used is now 43k at affordables! I bought mine UK used last year Nov at 60k but you won't believe its not brand new if you see it now
their number is

HTC HD2 is primarily a Windows Mobile 6.5 phone, but it is not - and has never been - a silly phone. The phone was a beauty when it came out, and to this date it's a template used by HTC in many of their Android phones.

That said, perhaps the Desire is a better buy as it comes with Android direct, no fuss involved. But a simple trip to XDA developers will enable you install a practically perfect FroYo or Gingerbread installation on the HD2. You can even dual boot it with Windows Phone 7. There are ports of Ubuntu Linux and even Meego!

Desire is a better buy for no-stress Android experience. HD2 may resonate well with tinkerers. But WinMo roots aside, the HD2 is a legendary phone.
Re: Android, Anyone? by Dagash95: 6:52pm On Mar 14, 2011
Anyone wants to trade an Andoid phone for an iPhone??
Re: Android, Anyone? by na2day(m): 11:36pm On Mar 15, 2011
[size=14pt]40 Best And 1 WTF New Android Apps And Games[/size]

TetherGPS Lite: Interesting idea – could be useful for geocaching or enabling GPS on devices without it. TetherGPS Lite will allow you to share the GPS on one WiFi enabled Android device with another WiFi enabled Android Device.
Example use – Connect your Nook Color and your HTC Evo to the same network, or tether the Nook Color to the HTC Evo with android-wifi-tether. Run TGPS Server on the HTC Evo and TGPS Client on the Nook color. The Nook Color will receive GPS data from the HTC Evo. Applications on the Nook Color such as Google Maps and Google Navigation will then work using the shared GPS data.

Wave Launcher: Wave Launcher is a unique, gesture-enabled, quick action-bar for Android. It resembles a well-known and loved feature on WebOS phones like the Palm-Pre.

N64oid (N64 emulator): N64oid is the Nintendo 64 emulator optimized for Android.

travelButton: I’m quite intrigued. Frequent travelers, please read the description in full.

TravelButton is a mobile phone application that allows travelers to easily consolidate guest room phone services and messaging with their personal smartphone, as well as have access to all hotel room phone services.

Upon checking in to a hotel, TravelButton users simply open the app on their phones and select their hotel from a pre-populated list. Once their hotel is selected, users enter their name and room number or confirmation number. The traveler’s personal phone is now enabled with the hotel guest room functionality in addition to their existing phone capabilities. Hotel guests are disconnected from the room upon checking out of the hotel or can manually disconnect anytime.

TravelButton users can receive calls made directly to their guest room on their mobile devices and make and receive calls as they normally would. Standard hotel icons for wake-up calls, room service, front desk and other hotel amenities appear as icons on the guests phones, allowing the user to easily access these services. Calls from guests’ mobile phone enabled with TravelButton will appear to the hotel staff to come from the guests’ rooms. A hotels’ standard identification information, such as room number and guest name, will be provided so that hotel staff can greet guests by name.

Thrutu: Share location, photos, and more – without leaving the phone call.

Thrutu brings new fun and function to the phone call. Share location, contacts, photos and more – all at the touch of a button. It’s so simple that you’ll wonder why phone calls couldn’t always work this way.

Smartbench 2011 (multi-core friendly): Smartbench 2011 is a multi-core friendly benchmark application that measures the overall performance of your smartphone. It reports both Productivity and Games Index to suit both productivity users and 3D gaming users.

Minimal Reader Pro: From the creator of Minimal RSS Widget, which is probably the cleanest and most useful RSS widget on the Market, now comes Minimal Reader Pro.

Display the latest news titles from your favourite websites/blogs right on your desktop and easily scroll through them.

Import your Google Reader Subscriptions or add your own RSS/Atom feeds.

Click on a news title to open the full story in a customizable Pop-up window, works in offline mode too !

Customize the widget and the pop-up to match your home screen.

Swipe left or right on a pop-up to read the next or previous news article.

Many settings available : Filter the News by age, auto scroll, auto refresh …

You can add as many feeds as you want on the same widget or separate them in several widgets.

Syncness Wifi Sync Music/Files: Can this finally solve by goal of automatically backing up my SD card that contains weekly Nandroid dumps among other things? This app is almost there – it already supports multiple backup sources, and all it’s missing is scheduling. I’ve pinged the author about that, so I’m confident it will be coming soon.
Sync your files (media, music, etc) in both directions over wireless. Syncness, the new application for Google’s Android based phones and tablets, that allows you to sync (synchronize) files between your phone or tablet and a Windows or Samba file share using a WIFI connection.

Android Seven Lite1 (Windows 7 Theme): A Windows 7 desktop theme (not Windows phone 7) for Android – you don’t see many of these around. It looks quite detailed.

DropSpace: This is an application for backing up files on sdcard through Dropbox. Users can choose any files/directories on sdcard to be synced with remote directories on Dropbox. It can start syncing on users’ demand, and also can be run as a service that will automatically start with certain time intervals.

Pixel Art Clock Widget: Pixel Art Clock Widget is a widget for your Android home screen.
You can change color (10 total)
Decorate with illust

Dexrex Mobile: Dexrex Mobile for Android allows you to capture, save, and read your SMS, MMS, and Call Logs from anywhere, just as you do your emails.

SXSW GO - official SXSW app: SXSW GO is the official mobile app for getting the most out of attending SXSW 2011. The app allows you to view/build your schedule, see a map of what’s happening and how to get there, navigate the tradeshow, stay connected to the social world and more! You can build your schedule online or directly on your mobile device. With SXSW GO, you can sync your online schedule with your mobile device, so your info will always be up-to-date!

ADWTheme Antique CyanogenMod: This is a CyanogenMod (CM7 specifically) dedicated version of the Antique ADWTheme series for ADW.Launcher.
You must have ADW.Launcher or ADW.Launcher EX. If you don’t have it, then get that first.

ActionComplete: ActionComplete is a family of productivity applications based on David Allen’s Getting Things Done (GTD) methodology.

At the core of ActionComplete is management of four types of tasks: Actions (next actions in GTD parlance), Waits (Waiting for), Projects, and Ideas (Someday/Maybe). The tasks can be assigned three types of metadata: tags, people, and places. Together the metadata form a context that can be easily filtered upon.

BlueMuze (Trial version): P2P Bluetooth music file and playlist transfer. Transfer music files and playlists over bluetooth directly P2P (phone to phone).

Plug In Launcher: Tasker does this as well, but if you don’t want complexity and want free, this is a great program.
This app provides a background service that will launch a specified app when the Power/USB cable and/or Headphone cable is connected to the device.

Tired before bed and want the Alarm clock app to launch when you plug it in to charge? Go ahead and plug it in… AND ITS THERE!

Out on a run and want to quickly launch your music player app? just plug in your headphones and click play!

Epinephrine (formerly MSN Talk): MSN Talk was knocked off the Market by Microsoft – Epinephrine is the new name.

we7 Radio Plus: we7 Radio Plus is a completely FREE music app for anyone who loves music! It is currently in beta release so if you have any feedback please email us at android@we7.com. The app uses our millions of available tracks to play and create radio stations based on the music you love:

Choose one of our Themed stations to find out whats hot or pick a style of music you enjoy

Create your own stations from any genre, artist or theme you like

Play a station based on the songs you love – you can love songs in the app or at our website

Going out and about? No problem you can save stations to listen to when there is no network available and play them in the car, on a train or tube or anywhere you choose. This app reinforces the mobile’s position as the device of choice for listening to music.

Socialcam by Justin.tv: Socialcam is the easiest way to share videos with friends. It makes sharing video from your phone as simple as uploading photos to Facebook. With a few clicks, you’re able to record, tag, and share videos as well as browse, like, and comment on your friend’s videos.

Features:
Unlimited video length and storage
Upload video while you are recording for fastest possible upload
Record video offline and it uploads later when you have Internet
Tag your friends in videos
Instant notification when you are tagged in a video
Browse, like, and comment on your friend’s videos
Share videos with Facebook, Twitter, Email and SMS

Car Dashboard (Free): Some commenters are calling it the best car-home app on the Market.

Car Dashboard is both a speedometer and a Car Home dock replacement app. Use this app to watch your speed and easily access 20 customizable shortcuts!

The app automatically launches when placed in a car dock (that has a magnet).

Features include:
Speedometer
Speed Alerts (fully customizable by speed, colors, flashing, and sounds)
Compass
Current location
Current temperature
Current altitude
Max speed
US and Metric units/speed alerts: knots, km/h or mph, Fahrenheit or Celsius, meters or feet
Custom text colors
20 customizable shortcuts – launch favorite applications, directly dial important numbers, navigate to common locations, and more!

Entrepreneur Mobile: You own the business. Entrepreneur Mobile will help you grow it with articles from Entrepreneur website.

Monster Job Search: Official Monster job search app.

Friday: Friday is your life companion app. It is a bit difficult to explain, but try and preview it.

Fake Me Out Of Here!: This is a fake call app, but unlike other apps, it can be triggered by shaking your phone (after a pre-specified delay), which is quite clever. The other features are not too shabby either:

Delay between shake and call
Caller information (Can be chosen from your contacts!)
Log the call in your call log if you want!
Playback recorded sounds to make the fake call sound real!
Play your contact’s custom ringtone (or your device’s default)
Shake calibration to adjust the sensitivity to your needs
Vibrate on / off

Meganoid by OrangePixel: Meganoid comes in full 8bit retro pixelart style, complete with chiptune and sound effects. The next version is going to add support for Wii-mote controls, by the way.

Radio Tycoon: Don’t just listen to a radio, start your own radio station in the Radio Tycoon on-line game. Radio Tycoon lets you manage the station, play music, hire new stars and, most importantly, become insanely rich. You play Radio Tycoon in real time, which means that your radio keeps broadcasting and making money even while you are not using the app. The game works via your Facebook account, so feel free to invite your friends to join you, or to compete with you.

Hextacy Lite: I just love games like this one – it looks polished and easy on the eye.
Finger sliding puzzle action. Think smart and score high. Slide your finger to eliminate clusters of three hex tiles or more. When no moves are possible, the remaining hexes will temporarily be locked out of play, and the board is filled with new tiles.

Chalk Ball Lite: Draw lines, hit others and don’t let your ball fall.

A new concept of bouncing game. Use your finger to draw with chalk, but be careful, it will not last for long. Make your ball hit other ones to recover chalk and don’t let it fall. Easy to learn, hard to master!

Cordy: Cordy reminded me of Sonic the Hedgehog, except it was more kiddie-looking. This game also came pre-installed on my XOOM, so its launch in the Market definitely coincided with the XOOM’s release.
Help Cordy power-up his mechanical planet! Use special powers, solve exciting puzzles, and explore engaging environments. Cordy is FREE, with many thrilling updates coming soon.

Grave Defense Silver Free: I know what you’re going to say – enough with the Tower Defense games already, but "take a look at the graphics" is what I will reply to you with.
Grave Defense is the tower defense game with the post-apocalypse game setting, the addictive gameplay and the excellent graphics. Remaining humans are hiding in their vaults under destroyed cities as hordes of mutated monsters seek to destroy them. In the game You will find lots of upgradeable weapons, maps and monsters.

Air Hockey Speed: I love playing Glow Hockey, especially on the XOOM, but it’s missing 2-player mode. Air Hockey Speed has multiplayer, and it’s got pretty fast action, faster than usual, as the name implies.

Air Hockey Speed – The fast paced air hockey game now on Android!

The legendary Air Hockey Speed is now available in Android! Great graphics, smooth gameplay, and plenty of AI opponents will keep you playing for a long time. You can also challenge your friend in a 2 player mode on the same device!

Honeycomb Live Wallpaper: Multi-colored flares for a Honeycomb look! Tweakable trail length & frequency.

Photile Live Wallpaper: Photile turns any picture you choose into a grid of floating, fading tiles.

Google Body for Honeycomb: Navigate and search an interactive 3D model of human anatomy.

Google Body is a detailed 3D model of the human body. You can view different anatomical layers, zoom in, and navigate to parts that interest you. Click to identify anatomy, or search for muscles, organs, bones and more. A male model is coming soon.

[size=13pt]WTF App Of The Week[/size]

Trouser Trouble: Use the touch screen to pull down everyone’s pants! Trouser Trouble is a game where you pull down people’s pants with the touchscreen to earn points.
3D graphics
Revolutionary undressing-technology
Addictive Gameplay
Lots of naked bottoms

Use the demographics slider in the options menu to control the ratio between men and women, if you’re more keen on pulling down pants on a specific gender.

Re: Android, Anyone? by DoubleN(m): 2:22pm On Mar 16, 2011
Lol at the WTF app. Trouser Trouble!! shocked shocked shocked . Btw which launcher do you use? I'v used Launcher Pro and it doesn't quite cut it for me.
Re: Android, Anyone? by na2day(m): 3:04pm On Mar 16, 2011
@ DN
Yeah, its quite funny and also nsfw! lol
About d launcher, I'm using stock, but u can use ADW, it has way more themes.
Zeam is another good one.
Re: Android, Anyone? by DoubleN(m): 4:41pm On Mar 16, 2011
This ADW Launcher is tight Men! This is a screenshot of me running the antique cyanogen mod theme.

Re: Android, Anyone? by Nobody: 6:49pm On Mar 16, 2011
How do you guys get these things to work in nigeria? Do you just use the regular data plans available from the different networks we have? Or is it more involved?
Re: Android, Anyone? by na2day(m): 7:00pm On Mar 16, 2011
Yes, ADW is very nice.
@ fortissimo
all u need is a data package from your provider and u're good to go.
Re: Android, Anyone? by na2day(m): 7:10pm On Mar 16, 2011
Military Once Again Turning to Android for Battlefield Solutions

The US military’s flirtations with Android date all the way back to 2009, so it should come as no surprise that the operating system originally intended for civilian mobile devices is once again being turned to for advanced battlefield technology. This time the military is contracting Harris and Intelligent Software Solutions (ISS) with the aim of developing apps for smartphones and tablets that can be used in critical mission situations.

ISS has been tasked with creating an interface that will quickly allow newly deployed soldiers to get a top down view of what fighting has already occurred through the combination of historical data, geo-location, and mapping capabilities. Harris is currently developing an application that will act as a remote display for images and video captured by flying drones.

The aim is to create sophisticated experiences tailored towards battlefield use without the need for expensive battlefield equipment. Instead of paying up front to ruggedize devices, the apps would function on off-the-shelf consumer products, which could be easily and cheaply replaced if broken. The fact that soldiers may already be familiar with the smartphone and tablet technology from their civilian lives doesn’t hurt either.
Re: Android, Anyone? by prettyboi1(m): 11:48pm On Mar 16, 2011
na2day hi. I turn to u 4 advice cos u started this thread & also,u seem to have done so much research on the android o/s & know alot about it. I'm a REAL NOKIA/SYMBIAN boy but majorly I'm a big fan of phones that support alot of apps & u can do virtually anytin with dat's y I love I-phones,android phones & nokia phones(& it's for this same reason that I hate blackberry phones.blackberry is one hell of a crap to me.) I just saw a review & the specs of the htc evo 4g & what turned me off about the phone is that it doesnt support gprs & edge.please if u were to advice me on a great android phone or htc android phone,which would it be?
Re: Android, Anyone? by DoubleN(m): 8:47am On Mar 17, 2011
Can i offer my own advice? IF you are a Physical Keyboard fiend( QWERTY Keyboard) like me, then i advice you go for a HTC Desire Z or a Driod 2. If otherwise and you can cope with only the touchscreen, go for the HTC Desire or Samsung Galaxy. If you are on a budget then go for the HTC Wildfire. My own 2 cents. wink
Re: Android, Anyone? by lynxnoon(m): 12:55pm On Mar 17, 2011
Double N:

Can i offer my own advice? IF you are a Physical Keyboard fiend( QWERTY Keyboard) like me, then i advice you go for a HTC Desire Z or a Driod 2. If otherwise and you can cope with only the touchscreen, go for the HTC Desire or Samsung Galaxy. If you are on a budget then go for the HTC Wildfire. My own 2 cents. wink
same here wink
Re: Android, Anyone? by texazzpete(m): 12:57pm On Mar 17, 2011
Nook Color, rooted with Gingerbread (CM7 + elements of CM8) for sale grin
Re: Android, Anyone? by texazzpete(m): 7:53pm On Mar 17, 2011
Pics attached!

Re: Android, Anyone? by na2day(m): 10:54pm On Mar 17, 2011
pretty_boi:

na2day hi. I turn to u 4 advice cos u started this thread & also,u seem to have done so much research on the android o/s & know alot about it. I'm a REAL NOKIA/SYMBIAN boy but majorly I'm a big fan of phones that support alot of apps & u can do virtually anytin with dat's y I love I-phones,android phones & nokia phones(& it's for this same reason that I hate blackberry phones.blackberry is one hell of a crap to me.) I just saw a review & the specs of the htc evo 4g & what turned me off about the phone is that it doesnt support gprs & edge.please if u were to advice me on a great android phone or htc android phone,which would it be?

Double N:

Couldn't have illustrated it better grin
Re: Android, Anyone? by otumfour(m): 11:01pm On Mar 17, 2011
Sweet grin
Re: Android, Anyone? by otumfour(m): 11:05pm On Mar 17, 2011
Gingerbread

Re: Android, Anyone? by na2day(m): 11:08pm On Mar 17, 2011
texazzpete:

Pics attached!

@texazz
Nice pix, would love to see it chewing on honeycomb though grin
Re: Android, Anyone? by na2day(m): 11:23pm On Mar 17, 2011
[size=13pt]Another WTF App, Guys Are Doing Crazy Things With Android O[/size]

Just saw this report "Good news! We just launched a new essential android application: the Wankometer"

At this point, I stopped reading, experiencing conflicting feelings that can only be described as a mix of extreme WTFness, curiosity, and preliminary pride for the Android platform (I had a feeling that Steve Jobs would not let this app into the iOS App Store, and I was right).

I was not let down.

In fact, what you’re about to witness here is a work of art of sorts, pure genius, mankind’s brilliance… I could go on. Think of what this app could be like, and I promise you that your mind will be blown, and whatever you just imagined is nothing compared to what you’re about to see.

It’s real. It’s unique. It’s got stats. Rankings. Charts. Burned calories.

Alright, that’s enough, I will say no more. Behold, the self-service-o-meter:

And now the app:

What can I say? Just when I think I’ve seen it all, and there’s already an app for everything, I am proven wrong time and time again. Today is no exception. grin grin grin
Re: Android, Anyone? by texazzpete(m): 11:45am On Mar 18, 2011
otumfour:

Gingerbread

Yes, i get the message you're trying to pass in those screenshots.

too bad for you that the testing company has no admitted that the tests were flawed and did not take into consideration the improvements in iOS Safari browser in iOS 4.3.

let's move away from trolling, shall we?

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (112)

The Galaxy A Series! / How To Turn WhatsApp Off Without Turning-Off Your Data / How To Stop Automatic Touches On Screens Of Your Android Phones And Tablet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.