Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,671 members, 7,809,540 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:03 AM

Do You Regret Moving Abroad? - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Do You Regret Moving Abroad? (41301 Views)

Passengers Sitting On Top Of A Moving Train (photos) / Do You Regret Living Abroad??? / Do You Regret Moving Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by invisible2(m): 11:18pm On Nov 12, 2010
@redman44, you are right, its not just about not regretting leaving naija, how many of them come back better than they were when they left? Its not right to say you dont regret yet you come back to naija and use my car here and squat in my BQ. Some even beg for flight ticket money to go back.
Your 85% stats is wrong, more like 95% are suffering there.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by justwise(m): 11:18pm On Nov 12, 2010
invisible!:

I will never leave naija, unless in a coffin. The type of opportunities I jam everyday is surprising. My tap root is digging deeper into naija and making it impossible to leave. For those outside, goodluck.

Have you been forced to leave b4?
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by invisible2(m): 11:22pm On Nov 12, 2010
justwise:

Seriously where did some of you get these figures u throw around anytime issues like this comes up? How many Nigerians living 'outside' Nigeria do you know? Yes Somalia is 'abroad' too

Let me use my neighborhood as an example, out of a hundred abroad people, only about 4 are doing very well and 3 are fraudsters.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by debosky(m): 11:23pm On Nov 12, 2010
@ Redman

Valid points, but full of assumptions. . . . not everyone went abroad to have big savings in their accounts. Some left because of threats to their lives, security concerns among others - only the individual concerned can decide whether he/she is fulfilled or not, based on their particular definition of fulfillment.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by invisible2(m): 11:29pm On Nov 12, 2010
Abroad is a huge mirage, those that made the mistake will rather pretend to their friends like a person who married the wrong person, but the truth is not far away.
The pictures with monuments they take is all they cling to.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by CyberG: 11:31pm On Nov 12, 2010
No, I do not regret moving abroad and wish I did it right after secondary school. But in life, no two people are the same or will have things work out exactly like the other person. Nevertheless, I achieved a lot while I lived in Nigeria.

Despite everything that I know, hear and read about Nigeria, I still miss it. Sometimes, it gets so crazy, I just gotta buy a ticket and go right back for a few weeks. What do I miss? My family (although I also have family here but it's not the same), the food, (traveled to a lot of places in Naija and eaten the food), and one BIG one is girls! Ladies! Chicks, call them whatever name but we are talking about the same thing! Now, everywhere I turn is white, white, white!! Not a lot Nigerian girls and the few have their big attitudes. . .some do not even come close to the pretty and hot Nigerian girls back in Nigeria, in spite of their heavy make-up.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 11:32pm On Nov 12, 2010
i think the mistake a lot of nigerians make is in the fact that they have somehow convinced themselves that life is only about' surviving' and 'existing'. they fail to realize that this life we have ? this is not a rehearsal trial. this is the real deal. once you go ? you are out of the race forever. yet they focus a lot of their effort on 'surviving' and less on 'living'  as a human being you have to 'live' or you will die inside. you cant just exist because of the conveniences that existing offers you. as a nigerian man or woman there are few places in the world where you can 'live' outside of nigeria, and even fewer places in the western world. i have been all over the western world and all our brothers and sisters are simply existing. and they continue to exist in those places because of the conveniences that life offers them in those places. but if you look into their eyes ? their eyes are dull and dead. now if you go to nigeria ? the people are vibrant because they are living. what does living entail ? being immersed in the culture, foods, smells, sights, sounds, sorroundings, friends, family and environment that you grew up in. that is living. 'existing' is being in another totally alien world to what you are used to. yes you will eat your fish and chips and burgers, live in your mid-level 2 garage home sorrounded by strangers with different ways, take your children to school, go to work amongst people with alien culture, you will go to the xmas dinner at work, you will fill your freezer with food from jewel (america) or tesco (britain) but despite all this, you simply are just existing. thats just the way it is. unless of course you somehow got into an accident and your memory of the past is wiped out and all you remember is america ? only then can you start living abroad. nigerians simply just exist abroad. i see them all the time with that dead look in their eyes. the only ones who enjoy it are their kids.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by dayokanu(m): 11:34pm On Nov 12, 2010
redman,

If you compared those abroad to their colleagues with the same qualifications in Nigeria, then you would see those abroad are doing better.

If 2 students drop out of High School one comes abroad one stays in Nigeria, What are rthe chances that the one in Naija would live a better live?

Moreover some people would sacrifice savings for a better life?  Would you rather like in Ajegunle with 4m in your account or live in Calabar with 250K in your account?

Some would chose to have a lower bank balance to get a better life.

@Post,

I wish I left Nigeria immediately after secondary school, The number of years I spent getting a degree would have gotten me a PhD
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by baslone: 11:41pm On Nov 12, 2010
Redman44:

People need to ask themselves these question:

Have I really achieved my dreams abroad?

The bitter truth is that 85% of Nigerians who moved abroad [ including the ones born in Europe and North America ] are not finding things easy. A good number of them have come to realize that though they have solid infrastructure all around them and have access to food and good healthcare, they are not really fulfilled. They can't boast of having quality savings in their bank account and only live on their wages. Though most Nigerians in Europe and America have access to a lot of opportunities, only about 25% are making good use of them. No one would love to come and wash his or her dirty linen on Nairaland. However, we all know where the shoe pinches us sad sad sad sad

On the other hand, a few Nigerians are doing well in their spheres of influence smiley smiley smiley. These are the ones that are entrepreneurs or are in the academia or are brilliant professionals. I have also observed that many Nigerians abroad are not interested in acquiring technical skills in Plumbing, Electricals and wiring, roofing, painting etc. Artisans make a lot of money abroad but many Nigerians are ignorant of these technical careers.  The issue of having 'legal status' is hampering the progress of many Nigerians abroad and we are generally not supportive of one another cry cry cry  

Are you fulfilling your dreams abroad?

I wonder where you got this figure from! It should be around 96 percent!
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by kabukabu50(m): 11:42pm On Nov 12, 2010
I dont regret moving to the US,not one bit.
1)I have never been robbed here unlike in Nigeria
2)I have never bribed anyone here for anything,have not sent anyone a cow/fowl or lamb.
3)Never had a power outage for more than a couple of hours.
4)The convenience at which things get done is just amazing to the extent you forget that some of these things would take days of hustling and waiting in line back home
5)Weather is great,its not sweltering hot all the time in ATL,but then it does snow like in New york,chicago or Philadelphia.
6)Sanitation is great,trash is picked up daily in my neigborhood.
  Accountability is important here,if you get treated like trash,you take your complaints to a company, they treat you with respect,even refund your money. grin grin grin, I recently bought something that did not work to my liking, they sent me the money and I still kept what I bought. grin grin

Naija is visit only for me now, grin.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by amor4ce(m): 11:46pm On Nov 12, 2010
There is a Yoruba proverb that was mentioned by Pa Abraham Adesanya not too long before he joined his ancestors and it goes something like this:
A man will not leave his father's house because the roof leaks whenever it rains. Rather he will do his best to mend the roof.

I have a question for all Nigerians who have emigrated from and seek to emigrate from Nigeria and at the same time condemn the country as hopeless and/or terrible. Why should I not call you a ba.s,.tard and a coward?

This also goes to those who were born abroad and have done nothing but criticize and look down on their brothers and sisters.

It is as if these people in self-denial and who live with delusions of grandeur do not realize that they are in a position to do something for their Nigerian neighbors. They cowardly wait for govt (implying others) to do something (spoon-feed) them. Some even criticize govt leaders as if a tree makes a forest. For instance, If I condemn IBB it means that IBB is greater than me and can do and undo at will in my life. I would rather meditate on my contributions and what more I can contribute.

By the way, if you think there's any beef/jealousy on my part, I was born in the Far East and have lived along the US West Coast and in Lagos.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by invisible2(m): 11:49pm On Nov 12, 2010
debosky:

@ Redman

Valid points, but full of assumptions. . . . not everyone went abroad to have big savings in their accounts. Some left because of threats to their lives, security concerns among others - only the individual concerned can decide whether he/she is fulfilled or not, based on their particular definition of fulfillment.
I think the number that left for economic reasons are overwhelmingly larger. Moreso, if you run from your house because of threats, wont you run again from outsiders when they threaten you over there.
Who born person who wey go threaten me here? Na area boys go settle im case!
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by kabukabu50(m): 11:49pm On Nov 12, 2010
amor4ce:

There is a Yoruba proverb that was mentioned by Pa Abraham Adesanya not too long before he joined his ancestors and it goes something like this:
A man will not leave his father's house because the roof leaks whenever it rains. Rather he will do his best to mend the roof.

I have a question for all Nigerians who have emigrated from and seek to emigrate from Nigeria and at the same time condemn the country as hopeless and/or terrible. Why should I not call you a naughty person and a coward?

This also goes to those who were born abroad and have done nothing but criticize and look down on their brothers and sisters.

It is as if these people in self-denial and who live with delusions of grandeur do not realize that they are in a position to do something for their Nigerian neighbors. They cowardly wait for govt (implying others) to do something (spoon-feed) them. Some even criticize govt leaders as if a tree makes a forest. For instance, If I condemn IBB it means that IBB is greater than me and can do and undo at will in my life. I would rather meditate on my contributions and what more I can contribute.

By the way, if you think there's any beef/jealousy on my part, I was born in the Far East and have lived along the US West Coast and in Lagos.

I will not be the next Dele Giwa or Ken Saro Wiwa, just to make Nigeria better, I like my life
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by invisible2(m): 11:54pm On Nov 12, 2010
kabukabu50:

I will not be the next Dele Giwa or Ken Saro Wiwa, just to make Nigeria better, I like my life

Or the next Rafik Hariri or Lady Diana?
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by kabukabu50(m): 11:55pm On Nov 12, 2010
invisible!:

Or the next Rafik Hariri or Lady Diana?

how bout the next JFK?? grin grin grin, funny boy
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by amor4ce(m): 11:56pm On Nov 12, 2010
@kabukabu50, do you know of this quote:"If you love your life you will lose it"? But perhaps you forget or do not believe that when the flesh stops breathing life still continues. Better to do something, make a positive impact on another's life, rather than enjoy vanity and have one's name and efforts confined to the dustbin of history.

Are we not confusing worldly wisdom/sharpness with cowardice and laziness?
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by invisible2(m): 11:59pm On Nov 12, 2010
kabukabu50:

how bout the next JFK?? grin grin grin, funny boy
Or even the innocent terror attack victims.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by aniffy4eva(m): 12:02am On Nov 13, 2010
dayokanu:

redman,

If you compared those abroad to their colleagues with the same qualifications in Nigeria, then you would see those abroad are doing better.

If 2 students drop out of High School one comes abroad one stays in Nigeria, What are rthe chances that the one in Naija would live a better live?

Moreover some people would sacrifice savings for a better life?  Would you rather like in Ajegunle with 4m in your account or live in Calabar with 250K in your account?

Some would chose to have a lower bank balance to get a better life.

@Post,

I wish I left Nigeria immediately after secondary school, The number of years I spent getting a degree would have gotten me a PhD

Don't forget that i know you o!  tongue
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by daywatcher: 12:03am On Nov 13, 2010
i left age 10 now 25

been back twice, approx 9 years ago and this year

now desperate to come back for good as soon as the right job offer comes knocking.

abroad, you will always be a foreigner.
miss family greatly

no condition is perfect
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by invisible2(m): 12:04am On Nov 13, 2010
amor4ce:

@kabukabu50, do you know of this quote:"If you love your life you will lose it"? But perhaps you forget or do not believe that when the flesh stops breathing life still continues. Better to do something, make a positive impact on another's life, rather than enjoy vanity and have one's name and efforts confined to the dustbin of history.

Are we not confusing worldly wisdom/sharpness with cowardice and laziness?

Sometimes I think about this, some people just think about themselves only. Some stay 19 years without seeing their mums and family, 'enjoying' the London cold instead of helping their mums who saw them through infancy and school.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by bidemi12(m): 12:06am On Nov 13, 2010
invisible!:

Or even the innocent terror attack victims.

where do you people come from? what has your post got to do with the standard of living in Nigeria because if you dont know, that is what this thread is really about. what has the isolated cases of terror attacks got to do with standard of living in both countries? please contribute inteligently.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by dayokanu(m): 12:08am On Nov 13, 2010
aniffy4eva:

Don't forget that i know you o!  tongue

Na chaimen like you get mouth to talk. I told you that when I grow up I go like be like you.

Annify, With the scope you  get for head, In the right environment, you could have been rivalling Donald Trump
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Redman44(m): 12:08am On Nov 13, 2010
@buzugee

I am fine o. I have just been busy lately and I only read threads on Nairaland without commenting. I decided to be active on this thread because threads like these interest me cool cool cool

I am not making any assumptions here, Nairalanders. I am a researcher and I also take the time to observe people a lot. Infact, North Africans are finding it tough in the UK [ despite their white skin ]. It is not only Nigerians that are struggling abroad. I have always asked myself some questions: Why did celebrities like D'banj, Don Jazzy, Mandy Ojugbana etc return to Nigeria? Would Don Jazzy and Dapo Oyebanji have become so rich if they had stayed back in Britain? I am not saying some Nigerians are not prospering in Europe and North America. However, what is the percentage? I was talking with a Moroccan chap who had spent 20 years in Britain. He came in illegally and somehow got his papers through marriage [ when it was that easy ]. However, this guy [ he's in his late 40's ] told me he has not fulfilled his deep desires.  He keeps flying to Morocco for holidays constantly. That is a white looking African man talking not to talk of black Africans sad sad sad

Some Nigerians are moving back home quietly. These are the ones that are in their 30's and early 40's. For some others, it is too late and they have to stay permanently abroad. We all have our destinies but I have come to realize that the Western World is not really for the African. If you're abroad and you do not have a legal status, you need to save up and come back home [ If you are not married and have no kids ]. Asia has liberated itself and Africa's turn is coming. Things are changing in Nigeria though it is a very slow process. Don't go back to Nigeria when your childhood friends have cornered the opportunities for themselves. Even if you want to stay abroad, develop an interest in Nigeria.  The Singaporeans and the Chinese have shown us the way. May God grant us all wisdom. Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by kcjazz(m): 12:10am On Nov 13, 2010
For me the comforts of today is not enough for me. I need to add value to people who need them more. I regret not using my skills to help my country a better place. In due time I will be ready.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by amor4ce(m): 12:12am On Nov 13, 2010
invisible!:

Sometimes I think about this, some people just think about themselves only. Some stay 19 years without seeing their mums and family, 'enjoying' the London cold instead of helping their mums who saw them through infancy and school.

And typical of shallow people, some show off and "oppress" the have-nots. Then our prosperity pastors contribute to the decay and the have-nots feel inferior and try to keep up with the Joneses, and the stupid/sick cycle grows and continues.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by dayokanu(m): 12:17am On Nov 13, 2010
invisible!:

Is it not both ways?

Dont we have many people who leave the villages, come to Lagos and hardly go back to visit or support theirm folks in the village?

On the other hand we have millions of Nigerians abroad who have assumed sole responsibility for their family back home.

I saw some stats that money sent from Nigerians abroad to Naija was in billions of Dollars, Guess whom these money were sent to?
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Nobody: 12:23am On Nov 13, 2010
where is invisible . . . . doesn't he know about this thread ? , una don enta wahala for invisible hand just wait first

shebi i tell una for the first page sey una don enta wahala for invisible hand lol grin
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by cap28: 12:23am On Nov 13, 2010
i can only speak for myself but to some extent i do regret leaving nigeria - there is no place like home, nothing beats being around your own people, nothing beats not being judged by the colour of your skin, nothing beats being respected, here in the  UK no matter what you have acheived as a black person you will be treated shabbily, they smile in your face but they stab you in your back.  The bottom line is they do not want us here, they tolerate us.   But things are changing their economy is on the downward slide and now jobs are being cut. Very soon there will be a backlash against foreigners i am bracing myself for it, when it happens i will leave england finally, but one thing i know is it will definitely come because the UK govt has started implementing austerity measures, their welfare state is being dismantled, very soon the UK will be like america where people on welfare will live in drug and crime ridden ghettoes,

Another thing our people here in the UK fail to appreciate is that the jobs once reserved for foreigners will gradually be taken away from us and given to whites, there is no way that a job will be given to a foreigner in this country where a white person is unemployed, in the past most of the jobs done by foreigners were jobs whites didnt want but now their govt is saying that anyone out of a job will now have to take anything,  this is where we foreigners will find ourselves out of jobs because no british employer will give a job to a foreigner over a white person - the backlash against foreigners is just beginning.

Our people are fake and full of lies, instead of telling the truth about what it  is really like here - many make up stu.pid stories in order to deceive impressionable young ones back home - our only hope is our country we have to make it the paradise we want it to be, here they treat us as if they are doing us a favour by allowing us to live in their country, anyone who says or thinks otherwise is delusional.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by kabukabu50(m): 12:24am On Nov 13, 2010
invisible!:

My family is here, numbskull. grin grin grin.Perhaps you should think of your own mother and family
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by amor4ce(m): 12:32am On Nov 13, 2010
dayokanu:

Is it not both ways?

Dont we have many people who leave the villages, come to Lagos and hardly go back to visit or support theirm folks in the village?

On the other hand we have millions of Nigerians abroad who have assumed sole responsibility for their family back home.

I saw some stats that money sent from Nigerians abroad to Naija was in billions of Dollars, Guess whom these money were sent to?

sad cry

@cap28, only a matter of time.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by kcjazz(m): 12:34am On Nov 13, 2010
dayokanu:

Is it not both ways?

True talk!
I think Nigeria is 2nd only to Mexico in remittances back home. The truth is there are people who leave for different reasons some to pursue an education while others are the future of their family. Whether people regret or not it shouldn't matter, because at the end of the day whatever makes you happy, please do and don't feel guilty about it.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by mommamia: 12:38am On Nov 13, 2010
The real truth is everyone living abroad will agree with me that life here in the west is very very very hard and a lot of naijas who come on holidays know that very much now so it is becoming very shameful for a lot of people in the west. Get this right guys people are suffering here,living below their standard and its crap. Home sweet home, there will never be a place like home guys

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34)

Driver Caught Driving With No Steering Wheel While Sitting On A Bucket / Lokoja overrun by Flood (Pictures) / A US F-35 Jet Fighter Crashes For The First Time,Pilot Ejects Safely

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.