Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,282 members, 7,811,832 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:38 PM

Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions (49201 Views)

Peter Obi, Others Lose Abuja Lands, As Wike Revokes 167 Plots / Assembly Election 2023: Osun Speaker, Others Lose As PDP Wins 25 Seats / Abaribe, Others Lose N300m Bail Bond As FG Rearrests Kanu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by okewumi: 5:12pm On Oct 30, 2019
isthatso:

No, China locked it's border for years which forced the Chinese to look inward and develop its own industries. The problem with Nigeria is we dont like short term pain for long term reward.

Any nation with a huge population that wants to truly grow must first develop and give advantage to it's own industries before allowing foreign competition.

When a country like Vietnam is lobbying to open our borders, it tells you how much of their economy and jobs is tied in producing rice for Nigeria. We no get farmers, we no get land?

Help me tell them.
That is why government should sanitize social media including nairaland. Where are the companies abi they no get name. Social media will copy and paste, spreading trash. Lai Muhammed is ready for you. grin

Just imagine.
Population of Benin Rep= 11.1million (2017)
Population of Ghana=28.8million
Population of Togo= 7.8million
Population of ivory coast=28.8million

And population of Nigeria is 200million.
So 98 companies will just relocate like that? Our sea ports and airports are closed?
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by Wallade(m): 5:17pm On Oct 30, 2019
Jimi24:

Its not just a thought. It is fact. Anchor Borrower Program loan defaults are high. The higher prices will push more educated people and financially literate people unto rice farming.
Aside from this, with high rice prices, people will partially shift to substitutes like yams, millet and cassava products. Those substitutes' prices will go up.and more people will invest in farming and its value chain.
This border closure will transform Nigerian economy. The people that will lose are the people that gained during PDP - lazy, city dwelling, middle class office workers. Unless they invest in.agro allied sector through crowd funding or direct participation

I strongly believe border closure negates the functionality of free-market system and Nigeria's economy isn't self sustaining and has no immediate potential to sustain itself just yet. It has created artificial scarcity and food inflation especially because local farmers can't meet the local demand for rice and some other food. The farmers capacity should have been developed gradually till we get to level of sufficiency.

If my suspicions earlier stated are true, then government and CBN are trying to make Nigerians pay for the bad loans while they share the returns on the super profit with farmers.

Though I feel the neighbouring countries must respect the desire of the government of Nigeria to prevent smuggling, dumping of goods and protect economy. We must also encourage international trade for balance of payments.
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by shineeye1: 5:20pm On Oct 30, 2019
Empredboy:
LAGOS – As the impact of the closure of Nigerian land borders continues to bite, more than 98 firms operating in the country have relocated to other countries in West Africa in the past three weeks, while others have lost millions of naira and are near collapse.

Comrade Saviour Iche, the national president of the Association of Micro-Entrepreneurs of Nigeria (AMEN), made the disclosure while speaking at a press conference in Lagos at the weekend.

He stated the said the companies moved to other countries because of the negative impact the border closure was having on their businesses, adding that many others will follow suit if the situation persist.

He said that operating environment in other countries in west Africa are better, adding that governments of other countries offer incentives and support to entrepreneurs.

He said the closure of the borders has had some positive effect like increased revenue for the government, but argued that the negative impact was greater on the general economy.

According to him, there are many Nigerian businesses that export their goods and services across Nigerian borders, adding that most of these companies are losing millions of naira on a daily basis.

Iche disclosed that many of them have reduced their operations and their number of workers, adding that if the situation continues, many of them will close shop soon.

https://www.independent.ng/border-closure-98-firms-relocate-others-lose-millions/?fbclid=IwAR3mTW7Mb8pnzStjx9YU89kEBHEV2CR3fgq6YYyJ63tv7aD2i6WBCH75e7A

Are those Nigerian company workers Ghosts? Why are they not staging public protests for better visibility? Political passivism is such a huge problem in Nigeria
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by dabossman(m): 5:22pm On Oct 30, 2019
chriskosherbal:
Can we please know the names of the firms and what they are producing as this will go a long way in getting a good understanding of the issue at hand.

What they are importing you mean. grin grin
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by fortran12: 5:25pm On Oct 30, 2019
seunlayi:
Buhari closed borders but he is going to UK for private holiday. Nigerians, can't you see that we have bn duped? This is epic compared to yahoo boys
Border closure does not mean you cannot travel. The airports are still working if you wanna travel
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by okewumi: 5:26pm On Oct 30, 2019
Afamed:

Below is a list of some of the big companies/organisations that folded up between 1999 and 2015 when PDP was in charge:

Osogbo Steel Rolling Company
NITEL
Nigerian Airways
NICOMTEX
Kaduna Textile Mill Ltd
Peugeot Assembly Plant
Leyland Motors
Nigerian Shipping Company
Bacita Sugar Company
Union Dicon
Michelin
Dunlop
Nigerchin
Jebba Paper Mill
Iwopin Paper Mill
Anamco
Volkswagen

No one knows the number of smaller companies that went under and the number of big ones that would have been added to this inglorious list if they had continue especially whrn oil price fell as low as $29 per barrel.
Can you forward the list of those that closed during PMB regime 2015 till date?

That's just few ? Exide battery in ibadan and many more. If you travel to Agbara industrial estate in Ogun state, you will see many company that packed up in previous administration.

I travelled to local community where they
cultivate rice and l was marvelled with the rate at which the youths were engaged. Instead to tap into the opportunity, they kept cry as their source of problem is Buhari. If our economy is okay, will previous government insist of producing #5,000 naira notes? I don't like Buhari but l support him on border closure

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by Orokojasper(m): 5:27pm On Oct 30, 2019
If you like,tell us 1m nameless firms has left Nigeria because we are trying to right the wrongs of the past,we will appreciate it if it's just one firm that is doing good and legal business in Nigeria,so until then,our border remained CLOSED
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by Danmisra(m): 5:29pm On Oct 30, 2019
If nigerians will do away with tribalism and other differences, then join hands together to develop the country for ourselves and unborn children. The world will be shocked, because we are smart and hardworking. But ina!!!!!!!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by seguno2: 5:30pm On Oct 30, 2019
Asquare84:
dont mind them did the border closure include export from nigerian

Yes to your question.

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by Cholison(m): 5:38pm On Oct 30, 2019
Those companies must not be allowed to export their goods to Nigeria Good riddance. We have the population and the market, nobody should toy with our resolve to instill sanity in our economy.

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by Nobody: 5:39pm On Oct 30, 2019
chriskosherbal:
Can we please know the names of the firms and what they are producing as this will go a long way in getting a good understanding of the issue at hand.

The 98 firms only exist in their imagination.
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by Eteka1(m): 5:43pm On Oct 30, 2019
americaninja1:
Dunlop Nigeria Plc and Michelin had relocated to Ghana. Patterson Zochonis (PZ) is also planning to relocate to Ghana, even as Cadbury Nigeria Plc, Unilever and the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) this year, sacked sizeable number of their workers over reported high cost of production, decaying infrastructure.I will prefer to have my industry in an enabling environment where i can get access to my raw material at a cheaper rate through seaport. Togo doesnt have oil or gas they survive on importation to enable industries an access to their imported raw materials. U dont know aw economy work. Like what Sheik of UAE said Lets Build it first and they will surely come. What are we building? So u think Nigeria population is an asset to the industry, population dat 70% is surviving on less than a dollar per day. I rather go 4 20people with money than 10,000 with nothing.

So you thinl the Togolese have more money to spend than Nigerians? I will not argue with you any further cos its obvious you don't even know what it is you are saying.

Togo has GDP per capita of about $678.50 while Nigeria is $2396.30. Is there any basis for comparing the purchasing power of both countries? You people just continue displaying your ignorance with so much confidence.

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by Nobody: 5:46pm On Oct 30, 2019
paix:
Maybe you were in a hurry to respond and you didn't notice where I said RICE ETC. Read again. By the way, are the prices of the food items you listed still the same?
stop looking for excuses and complaining all the time, consider the price increase/lack of rice your national sacrifice and see what happens
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by KingGBsky(m): 5:46pm On Oct 30, 2019
Mcreloaded:
I pray.

Super story, where will they relocate to when the market is here in Nigeria and those that left when Nigeria was in recession are now regretting it and are looking for ways to come back.

My own take is that this border closure should have happened at the early stages of planting season to prepare farmers to farm more lands and cultivate more rice farms, and secondly government should do something urgently about electricity as it is one of the major reasons industries relocated to Ghana in the first place and electricity availability will bring more industries to come to Nigeria as we have the population and petro dollars which makes Nigeria a strong market.

What’s with Nigeria and this useless frequent wait for raining season when they can easily dig a borehole or a well on the farm land. People are talking irrigation we still talking raining season. Very lame.
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by geosegun(m): 5:47pm On Oct 30, 2019
Wallade:

I strongly believe border closure negates the functionality of free-market system and Nigeria's economy isn't self sustaining and has no immediate potential to sustain itself just yet. It has created artificial scarcity and food inflation especially because local farmers can't meet the local demand for rice and some other food. The farmers capacity should have been developed gradually till we get to level of sufficiency.

If my suspicions earlier stated are true, then government and CBN are trying to make Nigerians pay for the bad loans while they share the returns on the super profit with farmers.

Though I feel the neighbouring countries must respect the desire of the government of Nigeria to prevent smuggling, dumping of goods and protect economy. We must also encourage international trade for balance of payments.

Young man, this is the best policy so far. China did same for 30yrs before its confidence enough to open her borders. You have to have the capacity to feed yourself before nourishing others. If the FG did not do this, the farmers will continue to loose and will never be encouraged to make enough investment.
I know someone ready to invest about $200,000 into rice farming.

Atleast more than 10 people will be readily employed form the start and still counting. Why do you think he has the confidence to sink $200k, because he knew the market was there and is favourable and he was still thinking of expanding further as soon as production kick start. Within 2yrs more than 50 people would have been employed. Now think 9f the multiplication effects this bring. Talk of someone who's investing $2.8m, now in two years can you imagine the number of employment that will generate?

Forget about sentiment, if we dont decide to make agriculture a very lucrative sector, people like you will continue to surffer and you will still come here and start shouting the government is not doing just enough to encourage employment generation. There is great market for Nigeria in Nigeria. When we are developed the production and technology to.march other countries the we can open our Borders to favourably compete. That's the way to go young, man.

Human nature is selfish in nature...go and look at countries and people shouting free trade agreements has been compromised. Those are the one benefiting from the open border irrespective of the damage it costs to the country. Even, the developed countries that shout the most through IMF? It is because their economy is strong enough to withstand competition. Nigeria will do same. When we are strong enough then we start advocating for free trade too. Dont be fooled young man. Hence Nigeria will never develop.

Let me know if you need more clarifications and examples.

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by Nobody: 5:48pm On Oct 30, 2019
vaxx:
You people mention China to defend the closure of the border as if China and Nigeria are having the same economic fundamental model or all economic principle are equal in both nation. China was never poorly industrialized like Nigeria, it has history that is over 1000 years old as an empire, only India and Persia has the same historical advantage. China alongside India was once the economy power house of the world and China again is on the track to repeat history again.

When China closes his economy , over 52 billion dollar remittance of Chinese citizens working abroad are flowing in to the economy and this is was the cash used in developing the industrial sector of China. how much those Nigerians working abroad make? when/ where can Nigerians outsource money for his development without working and dealing with other country?
STFU and try and be patriotic for once instead of always trying to display poor knowledge with half education
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by daragrams(m): 5:52pm On Oct 30, 2019
They should leave, y are they even telling us self. They are the ones spoiling this country. Since they left, have we not survived? Good things involves sacrifice and we are ready to go through this

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by mbos: 5:52pm On Oct 30, 2019
Jimi24:

What nonsense?
CBN has been meeting rice farmers, millers and merchants almost every month. At the last meeting, it was they who unanimously told FG, keep the door locked.
Nigerians should stop INVENTING news. It is pathetic. If a govt policy does not favour you, pray fir understanding and wisdom. Dont ever tell lies

so the economy of nigeria or zoo is all about rice?

what is the value compared with fashion wears export from Nigeria to other west african Quantries...
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by Wallace2107: 5:54pm On Oct 30, 2019
meccuno:
Untill the 3rd mainland bridge falls down or the Abuja airport catches fire before this useless government knows that this policy has no weight or direction for the Nigerian economy. Buhari has a way of destroying any thing that he touches.
mennnnn u are so unenlightened! Hewww undecided
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by Nobody: 5:54pm On Oct 30, 2019
meccuno:
Untill the 3rd mainland bridge falls down or the Abuja airport catches fire before this useless government knows that this policy has no weight or direction for the Nigerian economy. Buhari has a way of destroying any thing that he touches.

Emeka, you need to change your mindset. Sometimes, even our perceived enemies can be right, after all, a broken clock tells the correct time twice in a day.

Do away with that mentality that Buhari is the source and origin of your problems.
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by wiringdpt(m): 5:55pm On Oct 30, 2019
Thank you o
niyisky:
You people will just sit in a corner and fabricate lies, just to discredit the government. Hate! I guess...98 firms without names, industry sectors etc...is easy to just relocate a business like that?

Haters, I hail una!
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by vaxx: 5:55pm On Oct 30, 2019
isthatso:

STFU and try and be patriotic for once instead of always trying to display poor knowledge with half education
You mean I should be patriotic to illiteracy like you , you even called my input poor knolwedge when you can't foolishly rebuked it....
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by Nobody: 5:57pm On Oct 30, 2019
seunlayi:
Buhari closed borders but he is going to UK for private holiday. Nigerians, can't you see that we have bn duped? This is epic compared to yahoo boys

Kileleyi n so gan? Did he close the airports too or you don't know the meaning of land border?

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by uzoexcel(m): 5:58pm On Oct 30, 2019
chriskosherbal:

1 Share

Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by Mcreloaded(m): 5:59pm On Oct 30, 2019
KingGBsky:

What’s with Nigeria and this useless frequent wait for raining season when they can easily dig a borehole or a well on the farm land. People are talking irrigation we still talking raining season. Very lame.

Have you heard of a bore hole dug in a farming settlement like ekpoma for example where you have ekpoma rice .
Ekpoma a farming community does not have bore hole because the water table is too far deep to get water if not Edo state government would have easily dug a bore hole for irrigation farming but they have to depend on the rains to farm that sweet ekpoma rice we all like to eat
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by Nobody: 6:03pm On Oct 30, 2019
vaxx:
You mean I should be patriotic to illiteracy like you , you even called my input poor knolwedge when you can't foolishly rebuked it....

you are not patriotic to people but to your country

Learn how to write with the right tense and in a manner that shows you have some level of intellligence and displays understanding of basic concepts if you intend to engage me in conversation.

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by Nobody: 6:06pm On Oct 30, 2019
ZombieTERROR:

[s]You must be a Yoruba Muslim

Is chevron nameless?

SMH for these people [/s]

Is Chevron 98 firms?
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by Nobody: 6:09pm On Oct 30, 2019
FrLukas:

Is Chevron 98 firms?

dont mind these brainless fools, because Chevron said they are leaving Nigeria as if Chevron is leaving Nigeria because of Border closure. I dont know if Chevron sells rice.

It's quite amazing one shares a country with these dimwits and even more amazing they are allowed to vote!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by vaxx: 6:13pm On Oct 30, 2019
isthatso:

You should be able to address the half education as you indicate. you don't make a submission simply becuse you want to correct what you presume as faulty opinion. hope i can engage you ? i hope you arent dump yourself
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by obidark: 6:14pm On Oct 30, 2019
bullshitt....
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by Ttalk: 6:15pm On Oct 30, 2019
Jimi24:

Chevron is leaving Nigeria because of border closure?. That is what they told you?. I am weeping for you

Seriously, the guy is a comedian
Re: Border Closure: 98 Firms Relocate, Others Lose Millions by Nwadiuto247: 6:16pm On Oct 30, 2019
niyisky:
You people will just sit in a corner and fabricate lies, just to discredit the government. Hate! I guess...98 firms without names, industry sectors etc...is easy to just relocate a business like that?

Haters, I hail una!

They know that they are lying but they just can't stop lying. I tire for them o

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Tinubu Throws Campaign Council Into Crisis; Lalong Threatens To Resign - THISDAY / Vote-Buying: Politicians Plot New Strategies To Bypass Cash Crunch / Dalung Spotted At Rio Olympics, Fans Blast Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.