Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,775 members, 7,831,494 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:44 PM

Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal (51302 Views)

Throwback Picture Of Mercy Akide And Nwankwo Kanu At The 1999 CAF Awards / Okocha Consoling Kanu At AFCON 2000 Finals (Throwback Photo) / Jay-Jay Okocha And Nwankwo Kanu In A Group Photo With World Football Greats (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by Nobody: 5:10pm On Nov 03, 2019
Jestin:
Kanu was one of the best in Arsenal but was not highly appreciated maybe because of his skin color.

FTC
Lol...... Skin color ke......Arsene Wenger never discreminates....alot of his players were black.
Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by olujuwonj(m): 5:37pm On Nov 03, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Thierry Henry.
Role model like no other.

Player so good that even the British Monarchy couldn't resist going back in time to name their Kings after him.

Below is an accurate ranking of all time greatests of soccer.
After C.Ronaldo, there is Pele, then there is Henry, after which is Zidane, then Eusebio before Maradona..
Then a Messi far behind him.

Ronaldo the true legend...
Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by ofiko123(m): 5:41pm On Nov 03, 2019
Theirry Henry is a better striker than kanu nwankwo so it is no surprise that Henry benches kanu nwankwo..
Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by otipoju(m): 6:11pm On Nov 03, 2019
IamPatriotic:
Henry was kilometers ahead of Kanu, even Watord, Bergkamp, Pires were all better than Kanu, but he was a good player, better than anyone among the current crops of Arsenal and Super Eagle players.

Nooo. Kanu is a pure class act. He is like a Rollroyce that you drive on special occasions.

His graceful movements on the ball is unparalleled.
Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by Legendguru: 6:42pm On Nov 03, 2019
Hmmm
Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by ajl: 7:00pm On Nov 03, 2019
Jestin:
Kanu was one of the best in Arsenal but was not highly appreciated maybe because of his skin color.

FTC

But what skin color is Thierry? Nationality play a major role because the French and English media would cover Thierry more.
Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by ajl: 7:05pm On Nov 03, 2019
ofiko123:
Theirry Henry is a better striker than kanu nwankwo so it is no surprise that Henry benches kanu nwankwo..

The advantage Thierry had was speed. But in terms of football skill and ball handling Kanu was the master. Their style of play was different. Thierry was more direct while Kanu was more sleek and tricky. It was a question of what style fetched more goals. A bolting speed and an above average football skill will likely get more goals. That's why Mbappe seem to be successful. And Theirry also had enough techniques too.
Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by placeofallure(f): 7:39pm On Nov 03, 2019
Sholaco:
Who they both help undecided

Me! Those two guys, Henry and Kanu, are my greatest football players. I am their fan Numero uno!

1 Like

Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by placeofallure(f): 7:41pm On Nov 03, 2019
IamPatriotic:
Henry was kilometers ahead of Kanu, even Watord, Bergkamp, Pires were all better than Kanu, but he was a good player, better than anyone among the current crops of Arsenal and Super Eagle players.

Sylvain Wiltord ?
Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by thatkindthing: 8:12pm On Nov 03, 2019
Kanu still legend, no doubt. I regularly watch his videos on YouTube with my spark device, that guy na beta baller

1 Like

Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by Kbs468(m): 8:15pm On Nov 03, 2019
Jestin:

FTC

No not because of His skin colour but because of His predicament back then.

Remember He was gambled upon by ARSENE WENGER in 1997 after He was diagnosed of Heart Attack at INTER MILAN after just winning the Olympic GOLD MEDAL with NIGERIA in August/september 1996.

So, He was being played cautiously.

In fact, The most memorable thing about KANU NWANKWO aka PAPILO was HIS 3 goals heroics against CHELSEA after coming on with just 18 minutes left.

A wonder goal from an imposible angle from the goal line was part of the goals.
Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by Kbs468(m): 8:17pm On Nov 03, 2019
placeofallure:

Sylvain Wiltord ?

Definitely what He meant

1 Like

Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by Khaleell001(m): 9:02pm On Nov 03, 2019
eni4real:
Nope..
Eusebio belongs to the 60's and early 70's..
Pele' era!!
Eusebio won the World cup golden boot with Portugal in 1966 WC with 9 goals! !
He has ruled Europe and the World before Platini's era!! Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Rumenigge, Muller etc senior Platini sef undecided
Thanks for the correction. my mind was just playing with the exact years. I could have checked before quoting. Thanks.
Re: Thierry Henry: How I Benched Nwankwo Kanu At Arsenal by Khaleell001(m): 9:05pm On Nov 03, 2019
blowjohn:

O boy! Just googled it now. Damn! Never heard of him before o. I tot it was a Benin or calabar name or something. Tnx
You're welcome. But I got the years he played mixed up. it actually was actually in the 60s and 70s before Michel Platini's time.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Jefferson Louis, The Only Footballer Who Has Played For 36 Clubs In His Career / AFCON 2019: How Nigeria Defeated Cameroon In Pictures / Zina Anumudu: "This Photo With Thierry Henry Was The Best Birthday Gift Ever"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.