Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,733 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:27 PM

SERAP Writes archbishop Of Canterbury, Seeks His Intervention On Sowore’s Case - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / SERAP Writes archbishop Of Canterbury, Seeks His Intervention On Sowore’s Case (8353 Views)

Ooni Of Ife Visits Ex-CBN Governor Emefiele In Kuje Prison, Seeks His Release / Buhari Group Knocks Soyinka, Falana, Others Over Comments On Sowore’s Arrest / Lauretta Onochie On Sowore Arrest: “DSS Saved Him From Setting Self Ablaze” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

SERAP Writes archbishop Of Canterbury, Seeks His Intervention On Sowore’s Case by tynewsng: 4:16pm On Nov 11, 2019
Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project, (SERAP) has sent an open letter to the Archbishop of Canterbury, Most Revd Justin Portal Welby urging him to use his good offices and leadership and his “friendship with President Muhammadu Buhari to prevail on him to obey court orders most recently involving activists Omoyele Sowore and Olawale Bakare who remain in arbitrary detention despite a court order for their release.”

SERAP expressed “serious concerns about the disturbing trends by state governments and federal government to use the court as a tool to suppress citizens’ human rights.”

In the letter dated 11 November 2019 and signed by SERAP deputy director Kolawole Oluwadare, the organization said: “We believe you can use your leadership position and influence to persuade President Buhari to promote the rule of law in words and in action by obeying all court orders including the order for the releasing of Mr Sowore and Mr Bakare from arbitrary detention.”

SERAP also said, “As the senior bishop and principal leader of the Church of England, the symbolic head of the worldwide Anglican Communion, we believe you can reaffirm your belief in justice, rule of law and the basic human rights of all people by speaking out with a strong voice against the repeated disobedience of court orders and the implicitly lack of respect by the government for the integrity and authority of the Nigerian judiciary.”

The letter read in part: “Taking a stance on the issues of the rule of law and respect for court orders in Nigeria will also contribute to ensuring respect for human rights and the rule of law by the 36 state governments in Nigeria, as these governments seem to be taking their cue from the federal authorities regarding disobedience of court orders.”

“Journalist and activist Omoyele Sowore and Olawale Bakare are facing trial on seven counts of treasonable felony, fraud, cyber-stalking and insulting President Muhammadu Buhari, simply for exercising their human rights. Mr Sowore, was arrested on August 3 by Nigeria’s State Security Service (SSS) for planning a protest.”

“Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu granted Sowore and Bakare bail but the security agents have continued to refuse to release them despite being served with the court orders. This refusal implicitly violates the defendants’ constitutional rights to presumption of innocence.”

“We therefore respectfully call on you to speak out on the repeated disobedience of court orders by the government of President Muhammadu Buhari and urge him to obey all court orders including the orders for the release of Mr Sowore and Mr Bakare from arbitrary detention.”

Specifically, SERAP asked Most Revd Justin Portal Welby to:

Clearly and publicly condemn lack of respect for the rule of law and court orders in Nigeria
Call for the release of Mr Sowore and Mr Bakare from detention as ordered by the court
Call for greater legal protections for human rights activists and journalists in Nigeria who are simply exercising their right to freedom of expression and working to hold their leaders to account.

http://serap-nigeria.org/serap-writes-archbishop-of-canterbury-seeks-his-intervention-in-sowores-case.ngo/

2 Likes

Re: SERAP Writes archbishop Of Canterbury, Seeks His Intervention On Sowore’s Case by 9jvirgin(m): 5:51pm On Nov 11, 2019
One of my regrets is supporting Buhari, Jonathan's looting and savage sharing of our common wealth made me dislike him and his cronies but when you look at Buhari and his unforgiven attitude; I am left to wonder what options would I have been left with in 2015.

A. A clueless drunkard surrounded by common criminals
B. A man that does not forgive

I am in a tight corner.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: SERAP Writes archbishop Of Canterbury, Seeks His Intervention On Sowore’s Case by obembet(f): 5:51pm On Nov 11, 2019
when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.

Proverbs 29:2

9 Likes

Re: SERAP Writes archbishop Of Canterbury, Seeks His Intervention On Sowore’s Case by JubrinElSudan: 5:51pm On Nov 11, 2019
Wait, they haven't released him on bail till today?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: SERAP Writes archbishop Of Canterbury, Seeks His Intervention On Sowore’s Case by tstx(m): 5:51pm On Nov 11, 2019
Let's watch and see what happens
Re: SERAP Writes archbishop Of Canterbury, Seeks His Intervention On Sowore’s Case by Nobody: 5:51pm On Nov 11, 2019
But we all know that ears dey pain buhari....how bishop wan explain this letter to am in a time of birthday jamboree over there?

1 Like

Re: SERAP Writes archbishop Of Canterbury, Seeks His Intervention On Sowore’s Case by Meritono: 5:52pm On Nov 11, 2019
Cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: SERAP Writes archbishop Of Canterbury, Seeks His Intervention On Sowore’s Case by Okemmuo(m): 5:52pm On Nov 11, 2019
Hmmm
Re: SERAP Writes archbishop Of Canterbury, Seeks His Intervention On Sowore’s Case by MrPsalmist(m): 5:53pm On Nov 11, 2019
Buhari that doesn't hear God I pray he listen to them
Re: SERAP Writes archbishop Of Canterbury, Seeks His Intervention On Sowore’s Case by sonofanarchy(m): 5:53pm On Nov 11, 2019
They should write to daura

1 Like 1 Share

Re: SERAP Writes archbishop Of Canterbury, Seeks His Intervention On Sowore’s Case by abigeorgef: 5:54pm On Nov 11, 2019
Archbishop not interfere in naija local matters. oga mind is made up

1 Like 1 Share

Re: SERAP Writes archbishop Of Canterbury, Seeks His Intervention On Sowore’s Case by stonemasonn: 5:54pm On Nov 11, 2019
If Yorubas start protesting now, northerners will say Yorubas betrayed Buhari.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: SERAP Writes archbishop Of Canterbury, Seeks His Intervention On Sowore’s Case by ednut1(m): 5:54pm On Nov 11, 2019
Sowore 2023 ain't far
Re: SERAP Writes archbishop Of Canterbury, Seeks His Intervention On Sowore’s Case by Raregraphics(m): 5:54pm On Nov 11, 2019
embarassed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: SERAP Writes archbishop Of Canterbury, Seeks His Intervention On Sowore’s Case by Wasologu: 5:54pm On Nov 11, 2019
Dope
Re: SERAP Writes archbishop Of Canterbury, Seeks His Intervention On Sowore’s Case by satowind(m): 5:54pm On Nov 11, 2019
The case don serious reach like this.
Re: SERAP Writes archbishop Of Canterbury, Seeks His Intervention On Sowore’s Case by MakyavelitheDon(m): 5:55pm On Nov 11, 2019
Let's hope they heed this call and prevail on the president to do the right thing and obey court orders

1 Like

Re: SERAP Writes archbishop Of Canterbury, Seeks His Intervention On Sowore’s Case by sammyj: 5:55pm On Nov 11, 2019
This is a good ideal since the Bishop is Buhari ‘s friend! Hopefully he listens to him!!

1 Like

Re: SERAP Writes archbishop Of Canterbury, Seeks His Intervention On Sowore’s Case by Maslib: 6:00pm On Nov 11, 2019
9jvirgin:
One of my regrets is supporting Buhari, Jonathan's looting and savage sharing of our common wealth made me dislike him and his cronies but when you look at Buhari and his unforgiven attitude; I am left to wonder what options would I have been left with in 2015.

I am in a tight corner.

You are the greatest coward ever to grace this earth . Have you ever seen a video of Jonathan staggering after drinking or you heard . You are a pure definition of a fool. Sai Baba 2023. WE CANNOT GIVE POWER TO SLAVES INSTEAD WE GIVE IT TO EAST .

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: SERAP Writes archbishop Of Canterbury, Seeks His Intervention On Sowore’s Case by idrismodel: 6:00pm On Nov 11, 2019
Good move. Let the Archbishop know the true colour of his new friend
Re: SERAP Writes archbishop Of Canterbury, Seeks His Intervention On Sowore’s Case by madridsta007(m): 6:01pm On Nov 11, 2019
tynewsng:
Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project, (SERAP) has sent an open letter to the Archbishop of Canterbury, Most Revd Justin Portal Welby urging him to use his good offices and leadership and his “friendship with President Muhammadu Buhari to prevail on him to obey court orders most recently involving activists Omoyele Sowore and Olawale Bakare who remain in arbitrary detention despite a court order for their release.”

SERAP expressed “serious concerns about the disturbing trends by state governments and federal government to use the court as a tool to suppress citizens’ human rights.”

In the letter dated 11 November 2019 and signed by SERAP deputy director Kolawole Oluwadare, the organization said: “We believe you can use your leadership position and influence to persuade President Buhari to promote the rule of law in words and in action by obeying all court orders including the order for the releasing of Mr Sowore and Mr Bakare from arbitrary detention.”

SERAP also said, “As the senior bishop and principal leader of the Church of England, the symbolic head of the worldwide Anglican Communion, we believe you can reaffirm your belief in justice, rule of law and the basic human rights of all people by speaking out with a strong voice against the repeated disobedience of court orders and the implicitly lack of respect by the government for the integrity and authority of the Nigerian judiciary.”

The letter read in part: “Taking a stance on the issues of the rule of law and respect for court orders in Nigeria will also contribute to ensuring respect for human rights and the rule of law by the 36 state governments in Nigeria, as these governments seem to be taking their cue from the federal authorities regarding disobedience of court orders.”

“Journalist and activist Omoyele Sowore and Olawale Bakare are facing trial on seven counts of treasonable felony, fraud, cyber-stalking and insulting President Muhammadu Buhari, simply for exercising their human rights. Mr Sowore, was arrested on August 3 by Nigeria’s State Security Service (SSS) for planning a protest.”

“Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu granted Sowore and Bakare bail but the security agents have continued to refuse to release them despite being served with the court orders. This refusal implicitly violates the defendants’ constitutional rights to presumption of innocence.”

“We therefore respectfully call on you to speak out on the repeated disobedience of court orders by the government of President Muhammadu Buhari and urge him to obey all court orders including the orders for the release of Mr Sowore and Mr Bakare from arbitrary detention.”

Specifically, SERAP asked Most Revd Justin Portal Welby to:

Clearly and publicly condemn lack of respect for the rule of law and court orders in Nigeria
Call for the release of Mr Sowore and Mr Bakare from detention as ordered by the court
Call for greater legal protections for human rights activists and journalists in Nigeria who are simply exercising their right to freedom of expression and working to hold their leaders to account.

http://serap-nigeria.org/serap-writes-archbishop-of-canterbury-seeks-his-intervention-in-sowores-case.ngo/

Most Revd Justin Welby has an excellent opportunity to show that he and the Church of England is not another tool of neocolonialism, despite clear evidence suggesting that it is. Slavery Ships were "blessed" before and after they sailed to Africa to bring in human cargo.

Let us see if he would respond let alone do anything. I dont expect him too. That is neocolonialism for you. The “Church” in England is a political tool. Specifically, a foreign policy tool. Always has been. Always would be. That is why the Anglican Church of England have reduced the noise they were making as regards gay Bishops, because of the African/ Asian Anglican Church were threatening a pull out. Once they do, you are unable to manipulate them as a foreign policy tool.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: SERAP Writes archbishop Of Canterbury, Seeks His Intervention On Sowore’s Case by Debaiz: 6:02pm On Nov 11, 2019
Thought enemies of state said Buhari is a bigot and on a mission to Islamize the country. Now they see Buhari as being friends with the head of Anglican worldwide because of what they want to achieve.

Well I want Buhari to do the following.

obey the court and release him.

Persuade the court to expedite the trial and sentence him ASAP instead of continued detention.

I believe 100% Sowore cannot escape jail except there’s a political negotiation.
Re: SERAP Writes archbishop Of Canterbury, Seeks His Intervention On Sowore’s Case by martowskin1(m): 6:02pm On Nov 11, 2019
sammyj:
This is a good ideal since the Bishop is Buhari ‘s friend! Hopefully he listens to him!!

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin e don red, dem don dey find who go beg buhari
Re: SERAP Writes archbishop Of Canterbury, Seeks His Intervention On Sowore’s Case by PHIPEX(m): 6:03pm On Nov 11, 2019
It's always good to stand for justice no matter what. I wish to see where Sowore stood for Dasuki release. The pendulum turns so fast in this country.

DSS abeg release Sowore for us!
Re: SERAP Writes archbishop Of Canterbury, Seeks His Intervention On Sowore’s Case by Smile4daddy(m): 6:03pm On Nov 11, 2019
waiting concerns me for Afonjas and Fulani matter

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: SERAP Writes archbishop Of Canterbury, Seeks His Intervention On Sowore’s Case by misterjosh(m): 6:04pm On Nov 11, 2019
9jvirgin:

I am in a tight corner.
But there were options C,D,E... and so on

1 Like 1 Share

Re: SERAP Writes archbishop Of Canterbury, Seeks His Intervention On Sowore’s Case by airbrush: 6:09pm On Nov 11, 2019
9jvirgin:

I am in a tight corner.

goodluck is clueless drunkard surrounded by common criminals ?

buhari is cluefull sober and surrounded by saints abi

what is wrong with nigerian youth? una brain must have stopped working . Nigeria no get future true true

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What My 3 Aboki Friends Told Me. / Court Nullifies LASTMA Powers To Impose Fine On Offenders / FG Orders Opening Of Bye-pass In Lokoja-Abuja Road

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.