Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,194 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:21 AM

80% Of River State is Igbo people, who and why did they cancel Mid West zone - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 80% Of River State is Igbo people, who and why did they cancel Mid West zone (15154 Views)

What Is Wrong With This Picture Of River State Governor-elect? / South-West Zone Won’t Vote For Buhari - Sule Lamido / Poverty:Yorubaland and Mid West are Poor And North Most Developed Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

80% Of River State is Igbo people, who and why did they cancel Mid West zone by becomrich5: 1:43am On Nov 17, 2010
80% Of River State is   Igbo Ikwerri People

it look like from satellite.

Nigeria had 4 region

North got 3 new zone
East got 2 new zone
West got 0 new zone
Mid west  zone got cancelled 

Is south south not operation catch Mid west Nigeria Mugu

Re: 80% Of River State is Igbo people, who and why did they cancel Mid West zone by juman(m): 2:10am On Nov 17, 2010
Mr satellite, keep it up.
Re: 80% Of River State is Igbo people, who and why did they cancel Mid West zone by Dawgpound: 2:18am On Nov 17, 2010
Dunce, its Ikwerre, no they are not even 50 percent of Rivers population. They are the largest bloc followed by other Igbo subgroups like ndoni and etche then ethnic groups like Ijaw-Kalabari-Okrika and the 0goni-eleme ethnic nationality.

It will make more sense if u said Igbos are 75 percent or get correct percentage of the Ikwerre subgroup.
Re: 80% Of River State is Igbo people, who and why did they cancel Mid West zone by becomrich5: 2:26am On Nov 17, 2010
well I would call all of this people Ikwerri. the Ijaw-Kalabari-Okrika and the 0goni-eleme are less than 20% of the population.  they are minority.

If you define Ikwerri, ndoni  all together, then they are 80% of the population. Ijaw-Kalabari-Okrika are about 10% of the population. it look like there are not many ijaw in rivers , 

Look at the House of assembly of river state, Or this people look ijaw to you.

Re: 80% Of River State is Igbo people, who and why did they cancel Mid West zone by Mobinga: 2:29am On Nov 17, 2010
Dawgpound:

Dunce, its Ikwerre, no they are not even 50 percent of Rivers population. They are the largest bloc followed by other Igbo subgroups like ndoni and etche then ethnic groups like Ijaw-Kalabari-Okrika and the 0goni-eleme ethnic nationality.

It will make more sense if u said Igbos are 75 percent or get correct percentage of the Ikwerre subgroup.

My EYES!!!!

3 Likes

Re: 80% Of River State is Igbo people, who and why did they cancel Mid West zone by adaphik(f): 3:53am On Nov 17, 2010
80% of r/s ppl cannot be ikwerre. pls consult current statistics.
Re: 80% Of River State is Igbo people, who and why did they cancel Mid West zone by johndoe200: 5:59am On Nov 17, 2010
becomrich5:

Is 80% of river state not  Ikwerri people.

No you are very wrong. The Ikwerre people have the largest land mass, but are not up to 50% of the population. The most pertinent fact though is that they have NO oil.

1 Like

Re: 80% Of River State is Igbo people, who and why did they cancel Mid West zone by Nobody: 12:08pm On Nov 17, 2010
Is 80% of river state not Ikwerri people.

seems ur satellite needs repairs
Re: 80% Of River State is Igbo people, who and why did they cancel Mid West zone by abagoro(m): 12:27pm On Nov 17, 2010
johndoe200:

No you are very wrong. The Ikwerre people have the largest land mass, but are not up to 50% of the population. The most pertinent fact though is that they have NO oil.

Why are you giving us false info?Rumuekpe,Isiokpo and Rukpokwu have oil wells.

1 Like

Re: 80% Of River State is Igbo people, who and why did they cancel Mid West zone by Ibime(m): 12:42pm On Nov 17, 2010
Ikwerre cannot be more than 15% of Rivers state.

PH, Obio Akpor and Ikwerre have combined population of 1.2m from the last census, most of whom are not even from Rivers State.

Ahoada might even have more indigenous population than Ikwerre. Most of the people living in Ikwerre lands are not Ikwerre.

Kalabari easily have more population that Ikwerre. Kalabari have 600000 population and most of those are Kalabari.

2 Likes

Re: 80% Of River State is Igbo people, who and why did they cancel Mid West zone by abadaba(m): 1:10pm On Nov 17, 2010
Ibime:

Ikwerre cannot be more than 15% of Rivers state.

PH, Obio Akpor and Ikwerre have combined population of 1.2m from the last census, most of whom are not even from Rivers State.

Ahoada might even have more indigenous population than Ikwerre. Most of the people living in Ikwerre lands are not Ikwerre.

Kalabari easily have more population that Ikwerre. Kalabari have 600000 population and most of those are Kalabari.
@IBIME, you may be correct. Ikwerre people are mostly found in Ikwerre and Emohua LGA's. Obio/Akpor and PH may be Ikwerre but it is peopled by Ndigbo from the South East.
@BecomeRich, Ndigbo not just the Ikwerre are about 50 percent of Rivers state.
Re: 80% Of River State is Igbo people, who and why did they cancel Mid West zone by abagoro(m): 1:16pm On Nov 17, 2010
@Ibime.Ikwerre is the most populous.You skipped Emohua.Obio/Akpo and PH city has 40%Ikwerres while Ikwerre and Emohua has 90%.Ogoni is even 2nd before Okrika who are underated because of small landmass.Kalabari is 4th.Buguma,Bakana,Abonema are all pretty small.

1 Like

Re: 80% Of River State is Igbo people, who and why did they cancel Mid West zone by Ibime(m): 1:32pm On Nov 17, 2010
@ Abagworo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivers_State

Emohua is 200,000
Obio Akpor is 464,000
Ikwerre is 190,000
PH (including Okrika) is 540,000

If 90% of Emohua and Ikwerre are Ikwerre citizens, then Ikwerre would have about 360,000. (BTW, 90% is waaay too optimistic)

If 40% of Obio Akpor is Ikwerre, then population is circa 200,000.

Not more than 20% of PH is Ikwerre since PH LGA includes Okrika land, and most of Ikwerre land is inhabited by foreigners, so we have circa 140,000.

Altogether, we talking sum total of 800,000 at the most optimistic.

Out of total of 6.7m in Rivers State, we can see why Ikwerre failed to win Governorship in Rivers State till Amaechi.

Now Kalabari has about 600,000 people in Kalabari land. (of which at least 500,000 are Kalabari)

You can also include similar amount of Kalabari living in PH.

Hence I do not think Ikwerre have more population than Kalabari.

1 Like

Re: 80% Of River State is Igbo people, who and why did they cancel Mid West zone by abadaba(m): 2:16pm On Nov 17, 2010
To settle this matter. Ikwerre and other Igbo groups constitute at least 50% of Rivers state population.
Re: 80% Of River State is Igbo people, who and why did they cancel Mid West zone by abagoro(m): 2:47pm On Nov 17, 2010
We are all saying thesame thing.Ikwerre is the single largest ethnic group in Rivers state.They do not constitute up to 50% of the population.They therefore need others to win elections.
Re: 80% Of River State is Igbo people, who and why did they cancel Mid West zone by udezue(m): 3:17pm On Nov 17, 2010
The Igbo as a group are way more than 50% of Rivers population. U just can't win an election without them.

1 Like

Re: 80% Of River State is Igbo people, who and why did they cancel Mid West zone by chyz(m): 3:25pm On Nov 17, 2010
Ibime:

@ Abagworo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivers_State

Emohua is 200,000
Obio Akpor is 464,000
Ikwerre is 190,000
PH (including Okrika) is 540,000

If 90% of Emohua and Ikwerre are Ikwerre citizens, then Ikwerre would have about 360,000.  (BTW, 90% is waaay too optimistic)

If 40% of Obio Akpor is Ikwerre, then population is circa 200,000.

Not more than 20% of PH is Ikwerre since PH LGA includes Okrika land, and most of Ikwerre land is inhabited by foreigners, so we have circa 140,000.

Altogether, we talking sum total of 800,000 at the most optimistic.

Out of total of 6.7m in Rivers State, we can see why Ikwerre failed to win Governorship in Rivers State till Amaechi

Now Kalabari has about 600,000 people in Kalabari land. (of which at least 500,000 are Kalabari)

You can also include similar amount of Kalabari living in PH.

Hence I do not think Ikwerre have more population than Kalabari.

Up until 1996 Rivers State was Ijaw dominated but them Bayelsa was created. From then on it became Igbo dominated. That plays a big factor in why Amaechi is governor of Rivers now through Peter Odili. However, the reason why he couldn't get governorship  before 2007 is not because he is 'Ikwerre" and the "size" is not great enough, it is because all governors up until 1999 were installed through military rule.
Re: 80% Of River State is Igbo people, who and why did they cancel Mid West zone by Ibime(m): 3:46pm On Nov 17, 2010
Who told you all the Governors were military?

Melford Okilo and Rufus Ada George were civilian, and the 1992 election between Ada George and Eric Aso was split down ethnic lines, with uplanders voting for Aso and riverines voting for Ada George.

You are right that creation of Bayelsa changed the dynamic, however Ikwerre cannot wield power in Rivers State without first cornering the whole Igboid vote.

Ikwerre is less than Kalabari in population. Don't let their presence in PH deceive you. Kalabari have as many people in PH as they do back home.
Re: 80% Of River State is Igbo people, who and why did they cancel Mid West zone by abadaba(m): 3:52pm On Nov 17, 2010
Ibime is right, all our votes have gone to the Igbo groups. Odili and Amaechi would not have emerged without Igbo support. But in 2015, power should move to non Igbo groups.
Re: 80% Of River State is Igbo people, who and why did they cancel Mid West zone by chyz(m): 3:58pm On Nov 17, 2010
Ibime:

Who told you all the Governors were military?

Melford Okilo and Rufus Ada George were civilian, and the 1992 election between Ada George and Eric Aso was split down ethnic lines, with uplanders voting for Aso and riverines voting for Ada George.

You are right that creation of Bayelsa changed the dynamic, however Ikwerre cannot wield power in Rivers State without first cornering the whole Igboid vote.

Ikwerre is less than Kalabari in population. Don't let their presence in PH deceive you. Kalabari have as many people in PH as they do back home.

My bad but it was only two  before 1999 but still my theory of Ijaw dominance before the creation of bayelsa in 1996 still stands. Both Melford Okilo and Rufus Ada are George are Ijaw. Kalabari as many in PH as Ikwerre o I doubt that, not from what i've seen and remember it's their land.
Re: 80% Of River State is Igbo people, who and why did they cancel Mid West zone by excanny: 5:48pm On Nov 17, 2010
abadaba:

Ibime is right, all our votes have gone to the Igbo groups. Odili and Amaechi would not have emerged without Igbo support. But in 2015, power should move to non Igbo groups.
abadaba:

WHY? Are you suggesting that in 2015, no elections should be conducted, but an imposition of a non-Igbo as governor? Or if elections are done, it should be a facade, and not based on merit?
Re: 80% Of River State is Igbo people, who and why did they cancel Mid West zone by abadaba(m): 5:54pm On Nov 17, 2010
excanny:

WHY? Are you suggesting that in 2015, no elections should be conducted, but an imposition of a non-Igbo as governor? Or if elections are done, it should be a facade, and not based on merit?
The major parties should zone the post to the non igbo communities.
The post should be between Igbo and non Igbo.
Re: 80% Of River State is Igbo people, who and why did they cancel Mid West zone by udezue(m): 6:03pm On Nov 17, 2010
NO ZONING.

Let em run by merit please.
Re: 80% Of River State is Igbo people, who and why did they cancel Mid West zone by chyz(m): 6:09pm On Nov 17, 2010
udezue:

NO ZONING.

Let em run by merit please.

Gbam!
Re: 80% Of River State is Igbo people, who and why did they cancel Mid West zone by excanny: 6:25pm On Nov 17, 2010
Zoning is dead and people in this country will understand the folly of isolating yourself and constituting yourself a minority as our democracy matures.
Re: 80% Of River State is Igbo people, who and why did they cancel Mid West zone by abadaba(m): 9:51pm On Nov 17, 2010
excanny:

Zoning is dead and people in this country will understand the folly of isolating yourself and constituting yourself a minority as our democracy matures.
The non Igbo are heterogeneous in nature and without zoning, The Igbo will rule forever. Am Igbo speaking by the way but I want fairness.
Re: 80% Of River State is Igbo people, who and why did they cancel Mid West zone by chyz(m): 9:59pm On Nov 17, 2010
abadaba:

The non Igbo are heterogeneous in nature and without zoning, The Igbo will rule forever. Am Igbo speaking by the way but I want fairness.

But don't u think that we igbos tend to vote for who we believe is good regardless of tribe? For what i've seen amongst the Igbos is even if you're Igbo, if your bad you are bad and if the good good or better person is another ethnicity then so be it we will choose him.
Re: 80% Of River State is Igbo people, who and why did they cancel Mid West zone by aljharem(m): 10:17pm On Nov 17, 2010
chyz:

But don't u think that we igbos tend to vote for who we believe is good regardless of tribe? For what i've seen amongst the Igbos is even if you're Igbo, if your bad you are bad and if the good good or better person is another ethnicity then so be it we will choose him.

chyz, in as much as i do not like u, ur reasoning here is perfect

i believe southern nigeria should unite for one cause, one believe.

i understand that igbos are individualistic in nature without no king, but that was then. now is time to unite for one cause from yoruba to igbo to ikwerri to edo etc

i mean why keep fighting and not have one cause

what do u think undecided
Re: 80% Of River State is Igbo people, who and why did they cancel Mid West zone by chyz(m): 10:28pm On Nov 17, 2010
alj harem:

chyz, in as much as i do not like u, your reasoning here is perfect

i believe southern nigeria should unite for one cause, one believe.

i understand that igbos are individualistic in nature without no king, but that was then. now is time to unite for one cause from yoruba to igbo to ikwerri to edo etc

i mean why keep fighting and not have one cause

what do u think undecided

I agree, i really do but others don't. The taste of greed, power, and high-handedness is too great.
Re: 80% Of River State is Igbo people, who and why did they cancel Mid West zone by aljharem(m): 10:38pm On Nov 17, 2010
chyz:

I agree, i really do but others don't. The taste of greed, power, and high-handedness is too great.

i understand that, but i think igbos,yorubas, edo, ijaws etc are starting to mix up quite well, with intermarriges

but the problem is that each group does not like the other to feel superor above each other

it is like 2 brothers fighting for who is older undecided

i know the yorubas and igbos in the usa are a bit of a rivary but the ones in uk and nigeria are mixing quite well (slowlly but surelly)

but on the internet, i think they should try and unite as much as possible for one goal.

the more united they are, the stronger they become, or what do u think

i know if u see me outside we will liklly be friends but on the internet we are enemies because i protect the northern interest  grin grin grin grin grin

thank u brother
Re: 80% Of River State is Igbo people, who and why did they cancel Mid West zone by chyz(m): 10:59pm On Nov 17, 2010
alj harem:

i understand that, but i think igbos,yorubas, edo, ijaws etc are starting to mix up quite well, with intermarriges

but the problem is that each group does not like the other to feel superor above each other

it is like 2 brothers fighting for who is older undecided

i know the yorubas and igbos in the usa are a bit of a rivary but the ones in uk and nigeria are mixing quite well (slowlly but surelly)

but on the internet, i think they should try and unite as much as possible for one goal.

the more united they are, the stronger they become, or what do u think

i know if u see me outside we will liklly be friends but on the internet we are enemies because i protect the northern interest  grin grin grin grin grin

thank u brother

Of course,This is all internet stuff, most of the people on here i argue with on NL there is no way if they met me in person we wouldn't be kool. But on the internet gotta protect my people's psyche cool
Re: 80% Of River State is Igbo people, who and why did they cancel Mid West zone by ChinenyeN(m): 12:22am On Nov 18, 2010
People are in over their heads calling for unity. Ask for cooperation instead, and I think you just might get somewhere.

abadaba:

The non Igbo are heterogeneous in nature and without zoning, The Igbo will [b]rule [/b]forever. Am Igbo speaking by the way but I want fairness.
Why do people keep using the word "rule" in a [i]supposed [/i]democracy? Anyway, fairness is too much to ask for, in my opinion.

(1) (2) (Reply)

PDP Descending Into A Party Of Shame, Says Orubebe / Buhari Is A Hypocrite Who Described OBJ As A Patriot For Letter To GEJ - Reno / FG moves to revive Enugu coal mines

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.