Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,430 members, 7,861,197 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 06:48 AM

- - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / - (6014 Views)

Sanwo-olu To Unveil Administrative Master Plan For Lagos Today / Akwaibom Rejects Igbos Demand To Join Baifra Instead Raise Hope For Akwacross Re / Breaking News : Akwacross Mega City To Be Renamed "Welland" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: - by IGBOSON1: 2:28pm On Nov 13, 2019
DankemzI:

Akwa Ibom State is the highest producer of oil in West Africa, but our fraudulent revenue sharing gives us only 13% of our resources.
With 13% Akpabio changed Akwa Ibom under eight years, imagine Akwa Ibom controlling 100% of their resources.
Lagos will be empty

Controlling resources is not all there is to accelerating ahead towards economic prosperity!

You also need to have a visionary leader with fire-in-the-belly and a desire to serve his people and not lord it over them!

But most especially, you need to have a favourable political-economy in place that can allow you utilise your wealth as you deem fit...without having Abuja place stumbling blocks in your way! You should be free to build and operate seaports; airports; railways; universities; etc, and control a larger percentage of the VAT generated in your region!

6 Likes

Re: - by 0monnak0da: 2:31pm On Nov 13, 2019
DankemzI:

The oil is in Akwa Ibom's nautical miles...
Check out international water boundaries.
So because Akwa Ibom are not sea fairers we should allow ijaws or Calabar to enjoy our resources

Akwa Ibom has Nautical miles?

What does that mean?

I honestly do not think we can communicate. We are on very different levels

1 Like 1 Share

Re: - by 0monnak0da: 2:33pm On Nov 13, 2019
DankemzI:

Oga I don't understand what you're driving at
Cross River was using Akwa Ibom's wealth to develop their State. No bad blood between us, we're not greedy Calabar can survive on tourism
Not everyone can understand everything

2 Likes

Re: - by ayokellany: 2:44pm On Nov 13, 2019
Why must you people lie so foolishly just to buttress a lie ?
The north do not have the number to impose any law on Nigeria whether the president support it or not. Some part of the south must support any bill b4 it scale reading and a majority is required before bills can be passed on to the presidency. The north will always need part of the south to achieve even a slim majority just like Igbos supported the north to tarnish the bill Tinubu proposed to develop Lagos while the Yoruba did not retaliate when it come to the bill to develop the East but what will foolish Igbo think ? They are mighty enough to go it alone but if Yoruba have chosen to be as foolish as they have been the bill will never become a law today so stop saying rubbish to buttress a glaring lie. Make your point without the add ons of lies n subtle deceit.

0monnak0da:

I think you are missing the points
1. Who defines what is "littoral?
This what an arbitrary decision.
If Nigeria were to break up today and allow both states go away would they exist separately?
Would there be peace?
History did not start in 1999 or 1960 or 1914

The same argument applies to Lagos state

Both are artificial entities created by fiat

Cross River should have a share of offshore oil the same argument would apply in Lagos/Ogun Ondo Ekiti and so on
As you will guess I am not a huge believer in 36 states.
Akwa Ibom and Cross river belong together.

It is greed that brings in this littoral states issue.

The constitution is clear and the case was lost in the Supreme court.
I think this is a shame because many people from the region do not know the facts

The constitutional position is that the littoral states have no automatic claim to offshore derivation
This was decided by the Supreme court in 2002
Having lost at the Supreme court the Niger Delta states had nowhere to go legally and had to rely on the magnanimity of other Nigerians

Therefore an Act of the National Assembly was enacted to pacify the Niger Delta under Obasanjo's government > Obasanjo objected to the 200 mile clause(continental shelf/contiguous zone argument ) and the National Assembly overruled him by 2/3 majority.
I do not think the final settlement is the 200 mile mark (need to check but I think it is under 30 miles)

The point is it is an Act not a constitutional change which means any future Federal government can repeal it in ONE DAY. Naturally this is easier when there is a Northern president(if he agrees to sign) the North have the numbers in the National Assembly

What is my point the off shore thing came about by a desire by the political class at that time to calm things down in the Niger Delta. It was a political choice backed up by legislation just like the Amnesty programme,,NDDC etc
The first major beneficiary of that change was Akpabio.

They are all creations of the Federal government and can be scrapped by the Federal government.

The 13% derivation for onshore oil cannot be scrapped by the FG

So that same political consideration should be applied when sharing revenue from offshore oil.

Consideration should be given not just to exact littoral states but close neighbours with strong affinity factors like history,culture etc.

Let the Akwa Ibom people remember how we got to this point and the constitutional basis

1 Like

Re: - by powerhouse3(m): 3:14pm On Nov 13, 2019
0monnak0da:

I think you are missing the points
1. Who defines what is "littoral?
This what an arbitrary decision.
If Nigeria were to break up today and allow both states go away would they exist separately?
Would there be peace?
History did not start in 1999 or 1960 or 1914

The same argument applies to Lagos state

Both are artificial entities created by fiat

Cross River should have a share of offshore oil the same argument would apply in Lagos/Ogun Ondo Ekiti and so on
As you will guess I am not a huge believer in 36 states.
Akwa Ibom and Cross river belong together.

It is greed that brings in this littoral states issue.

The constitution is clear and the case was lost in the Supreme court.
I think this is a shame because many people from the region do not know the facts

The constitutional position is that the littoral states have no automatic claim to offshore derivation
This was decided by the Supreme court in 2002
Having lost at the Supreme court the Niger Delta states had nowhere to go legally and had to rely on the magnanimity of other Nigerians

Therefore an Act of the National Assembly was enacted to pacify the Niger Delta under Obasanjo's government > Obasanjo objected to the 200 mile clause(continental shelf/contiguous zone argument ) and the National Assembly overruled him by 2/3 majority.
I do not think the final settlement is the 200 mile mark (need to check but I think it is under 30 miles)

The point is it is an Act not a constitutional change which means any future Federal government can repeal it in ONE DAY. Naturally this is easier when there is a Northern president(if he agrees to sign) the North have the numbers in the National Assembly

What is my point the off shore thing came about by a desire by the political class at that time to calm things down in the Niger Delta. It was a political choice backed up by legislation just like the Amnesty programme,,NDDC etc
The first major beneficiary of that change was Akpabio.

They are all creations of the Federal government and can be scrapped by the Federal government.

The 13% derivation for onshore oil cannot be scrapped by the FG

So that same political consideration should be applied when sharing revenue from offshore oil.

Consideration should be given not just to exact littoral states but close neighbours with strong affinity factors like history,culture etc.

Let the Akwa Ibom people remember how we got to this point and the constitutional basis
I grasp all your point , I understand you want government or say politic to have human face to issue which you are very correct,...Like you rightly said ,Akpabio was the first beneficiary's and Truthfully ,I expect Akpabio to have shown magnanimity toward its sister state,knowing full well that the supreme court decision really put a strain on cross river finance ,but a typical politician will not even remember his people talk less of its Neighbor, but its not to late to make amend,afterall we all witnsee how Wike of River Donate a 100million to Benue in thier time of distress,
And I think the firsr step to take should be food sufficiency,... As close as akwa ibom and cross river are with a sizable land mass ,the two state couldn't boost of food sufficiency ,whereas Ambode was visionary enough to partner faraway Kebbi state to joint cultivation of rice,... is it not paying off now?....With economist and a professor at the helm of the affair I see no reason they could not join hand and create a spark or something note of worthy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: - by 0monnak0da: 3:32pm On Nov 13, 2019
powerhouse3:
I grasp all your point , I understand you want government or say politic to have human face to issue which you are very correct,...Like you rightly said ,Akpabio was the first beneficiary's and Truthfully ,I expect Akpabio to have shown magnanimity toward its sister state,knowing full well that the supreme court decision really put a strain on cross river finance ,but a typical politician will not even remember his people talk less of its Neighbor, but its not to late to make amend,afterall we all witnsee how Wike of River Donate a 100million to Benue in thier time of distress,
And I think the firsr step to take should be food sufficiency,... As close as akwa ibom and cross river are with a sizable land mass ,the two state couldn't boost of food sufficiency ,whereas Ambode was visionary enough to partner faraway Kebbi state to joint cultivation of rice,... is it not paying off now?....With economist and a professor at the helm of the affair I see no reason they could not join hand and create a spark or something note of worthy

No it is not about human face but thinking forward to the restructuring that we all shout about .

What would it look like

The states as we know them today including Akwa Ibom cannot and will not endure.
India with over 1 billion people has fewer states than us

let us not mix all kinds of things up.

I am saying that Nigeria should not have more than maybe 10 state States so states like Akwa Ibom and Cross River are the most natural to join together.

There was nothing like Akwa Ibom before Nigeria so how Akwa Ibom people of today can claim greater and exclusive rights to littoral accruals is arbitrary
The same is true of Ogun and Lagos , Ondo and Ekiti..

Ekiti state is not a viable state and this is true for many others

So my point is about coastal states and their immediate neighbours and claims to what is in the sea.

Nothing to do with food production I am sorry
It is a constitutional issue so there was little Akpabio could do.

1 Like

Re: - by powerhouse3(m): 3:47pm On Nov 13, 2019
0monnak0da:

No it is not about human face but thinking forward to the restructuring that we all shout about .

What would it look like

The states as we know them today including Akwa Ibom cannot and will not endure.
India with over 1 billion people has fewer states than us

let us not mix all kinds of things up.

I am saying that Nigeria should not have more than maybe 10 state States so states like Akwa Ibom and Cross River are the most natural to join together.

There was nothing like Akwa Ibom before Nigeria so how Akwa Ibom people of today can claim greater and exclusive rights to littoral accruals is arbitrary
The same is true of Ogun and Lagos , Ondo and Ekiti..

Ekiti state is not a viable state and this is true for many others

So my point is about coastal states and their immediate neighbours and claims to what is in the sea.

Nothing to do with food production I am sorry
It is a constitutional issue so there was little Akpabio could do.
You said there's nothing like akwa ibom in the eyes of Nigeria ,I clearly where all these is coming from,...Since you know that its constitutional on the part of akwa ibom being the owner of those oil wells ,Why did you now claim that akwa ibom are greedy?

1 Like

Re: - by 0monnak0da: 3:49pm On Nov 13, 2019
powerhouse3:
You said there's nothing like akwa ibom in the eyes of Nigeria ,I clearly where all these is coming from,...Since you know that its constitutional on the part of akwa ibom being the owner of those oil wells ,Why did you now claim that akwa ibom are greedy?
I said there is nothing like Akwa Ibom
Re: - by 0monnak0da: 4:02pm On Nov 13, 2019
powerhouse3:

I think you have a problem with English and comprehension

I know it "is constitutional"

Guy do you understand English??
Re: - by powerhouse3(m): 4:09pm On Nov 13, 2019
0monnak0da:

I think you have a problem with English and comprehension

I know it "is constitutional"

Guy do you understand English??
Of course ,I got problem with English,... have a nice day young man
Re: - by 0monnak0da: 4:35pm On Nov 13, 2019
powerhouse3:
Of course ,I got problem with English,... have a nice day young man
I might be old enough to father you old man
Re: - by DankemzI(m): 1:28pm On Nov 14, 2019
powerhouse3:

He wants us to share with the former Eastern region....
Funny folks
Re: - by DankemzI(m): 1:31pm On Nov 14, 2019
te author=powerhouse3 post=83993168]I grasp all your point , I understand you want government or say politic to have human face to issue which you are very correct,...Like you rightly said ,Akpabio was the first beneficiary's and Truthfully ,I expect Akpabio to have shown magnanimity toward its sister state,knowing full well that the supreme court decision really put a strain on cross river finance ,but a typical politician will not even remember his people talk less of its Neighbor, but its not to late to make amend,afterall we all witnsee how Wike of River Donate a 100million to Benue in thier time of distress,
And I think the firsr step to take should be food sufficiency,... As close as akwa ibom and cross river are with a sizable land mass ,the two state couldn't boost of food sufficiency ,whereas Ambode was visionary enough to partner faraway Kebbi state to joint cultivation of rice,... is it not paying off now?....With economist and a professor at the helm of the affair I see no reason they could not join hand and create a spark or something note of worthy [/quote]

When Cross River was covetly using our resources they didn't lend a helping hand.
Food sufficiency you say Which state is self sufficient?
Re: - by Nobody: 12:06am On Nov 15, 2019
-
Re: - by horsepower101: 5:27am On Nov 15, 2019
I so much love this thread and hope it’s kept alive to discuss development ideas for those wonderful states.

My personal experience as an igbo man with Akwa-cross people has always been positive. I grew up in Aba so I met a lot of them there coming to do business. Very humble and confident people unlike some other insecure south south people that I won’t mention here.

Akwa cross development is goal. Continue the positive discussion and ignore trolls. Good job op.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: - by PennywysCares(m): 6:56am On Nov 15, 2019
OP well said, but in this contraption called Nigeria actualizing this vision is impossible

Everything fall apart from the begining we join jungle

1 Like

Re: - by Nobody: 4:50am On Nov 16, 2019
-

1 Like

Re: - by Nobody: 1:13am On Nov 17, 2019
-
Re: - by Nobody: 1:13am On Nov 17, 2019
-

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: - by horsepower101: 1:38am On Nov 17, 2019
BeachTime:
Do you know why Singapore,UAE and Qatar are so wealthy and developed ? I'll tell you why and i'll also tell you why Nigeria will not develop anytime soon.

Firstly, Singapore landmass is the same size as ( Uyo local government and Okobo Local Government ). Singapore has population of 5 million.
UAE landmass is the same as River State,Akwa ibom state and cross river state combined . UAE has a population of 9 million
Qatar landmass is the same size as Akwa Ibom landmass . Qatar has a population of 2 Million .

Akwa ibom has a population of 4 or 5 million . Akwa Ibom generates $1.2 billion dollars per month or $15 billion dollars per year from oil alone . but due to Nigeria's outdated unitary system,Akwa Ibom has to share the money with Nigeria ,and Akwa Ibom ends up of receiving a sum of $60 million dollars per month or $750 million per year from Big Brother Nigeria . If Nigeria restructures into a modern system of autonomy then Akwa ibom would have control of it's wealth,then infrastructure would be a walk in the park and there would be more than enough for the Akwa ibom citizens receive free money from the government.

below are estimated cost of infrastructures

$10 billion dollars would pave all roads in Akwa ibom including sidewalks ,traffics signs, markings ,drainage and bicycle paths .

$5 Billion dollars would give Akwa ibom constant electricity
A world class international airport cost $1 billion dollars
A World class international seaport cost $1 billion dollars
A world class University cost $500 million dollars to build
A world class hospital cost $500 million dollars to build
A world class international Mega mall cost 500 million dollars to build
mass housing development for 4 million people would cost around $25 billion dollars
A 100 storey skyscraper cost $1 billion dollars / A 30 storey high rise cost 250 million
A transit system which includes buses , highspeed train / subway system linking the entire Akwaibom including calabar would cost $10 Billion dollars .

All of the above amounts to $55 billion dollars. this means Akwa ibom needs at least $30 billion dollars to even dream of being a developed city or state .

None of the above are possible due to Nigeria's yearly oil revenue of $35 Billion dollars being dispersed to 100s of cities ,towns and villages and local governments and it becomes insignificant. As a whole ,Nigeria is a poor country ,and with only $35 billion dollars per year there's only so much you can do with population of 180 million. The money available can only pay government workers ,build a few mediocre roads and projects and keep the economy afloat.

Very good ideas but the reality is that Nigeria’s very fundamental existence is based on taking and sharing the resources in your land. They will not give you resource control.

You have to fight for it.

Every state is supposed to manage their own resources

3 Likes

Re: - by Nobody: 10:18am On Nov 17, 2019
-

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: - by Nobody: 10:28am On Nov 17, 2019
-

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: - by Kapilta(m): 10:54am On Nov 17, 2019
DankemzI:

Akwa Ibom State is the highest producer of oil in West Africa, but our fraudulent revenue sharing gives us only 13% of our resources.
With 13% Akpabio changed Akwa Ibom under eight years, imagine Akwa Ibom controlling 100% of their resources.
Lagos will be empty
you people and your obsession with Lagos. Snap out of it. Lagos ain't holding you back.
Re: - by Nobody: 8:34pm On Nov 19, 2019
--

2 Likes

Re: - by Nobody: 4:15am On Nov 23, 2019
-
Re: - by Kennyswagz1(m): 10:43pm On Dec 02, 2019
wiseone28:
The pictures you posted i don't see any Nigerian state building such infrastructure even in the next 300 years..

lol..to draw 3d pictures is very easygringrin
Re: - by Nobody: 11:18pm On Dec 02, 2019
-

2 Likes

Re: - by JonDon12: 11:20pm On Dec 02, 2019
viver1:
Somebody will just come and be merging two independent states. This thread is misleading. It is ment for nursery school children.

Why ? Because he is making sense. You cannot even spell, you dey yab nursery pikin.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: - by JonDon12: 11:22pm On Dec 02, 2019
IGBOSON1:

Controlling resources is not all there is to accelerating ahead towards economic prosperity!

You also need to have a visionary leader with fire-in-the-belly and a desire to serve his people and not lord it over them!

But most especially, you need to have a favourable political-economy in place that can allow you utilise your wealth as you deem fit...without having Abuja place stumbling blocks in your way! You should be free to build and operate seaports; airports; railways; universities; etc, and control a larger percentage of the VAT generated in your region!

Gbam!!! Well said.

2 Likes

Re: - by Kennyswagz1(m): 2:09am On Dec 03, 2019
BeachTime:
Almost 80 percent of humans are visual learners . Visual learners learn and remember best through visual communication. Thomas Sankara said,"While revolutionaries as individuals can be murdered, you cannot kill ideas".
This vision may now seem impossible within the next 40 to 50 years,but you just never know . It may require multiple efforts .But I hope someone somewhere can be inspired and contribute whatever they can to the Akwacross. For example ,Mr A may be inspired to build a Ferris wheel Hotel at Ibeno beach just from the vision on this thread. I want the Akwacross people to see and know about this vision and do some soul searching on what could be with unity .
Ok. But this is Nigeria.. you know such things like this will never happen..
Take a look at eko atlantic for instance, the development is very slow.. also take a look at Orange island, gracefield island, periwinkle island, diamond island, greater portharcourt city, rainbow town, etc.. started by fashola and amaechi in their respective states. Since when they left, the projects have died..
Only way such projects like this will ever happen in nigeria is when there is a law that all successive govts must first of all complete projects started by their predecessors before embarking on another fresh project... with that, alot of this kind of projects will happen.
Re: - by Kennyswagz1(m): 2:11am On Dec 03, 2019
BeachTime:
--
bro did you design this thing by yourself, and what app did you use?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lady Dies After Abortion Attempt For Her Minister Boyfriend (photos) / This Man May Be The Best TINUBU Minister(photo) / Igbo Group Declares 7-day-Mourning For Achebe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.