Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,640 members, 7,809,402 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:58 AM

Malaria Control: 13 States To Benefit From $250 Million World Bank Loan - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Malaria Control: 13 States To Benefit From $250 Million World Bank Loan (8238 Views)

Will Gene Drive For Malaria Control Be Accepted, Supported In Nigeria, Africa? / Buhari Congratulates Funmi Adewara For Winning World Bank SDGs Award / United States To Spend $9.6m On Malaria Control In Sokoto - Nigerians React (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Malaria Control: 13 States To Benefit From $250 Million World Bank Loan by torin: 6:13am On Nov 15, 2019
The federal government is about to secure a $250 million World Bank facility to fund intervention programmes to check malaria disease in 13 states of the federation, which are not currently covered by the existing government intervention programmes.

The affected states include, Borno, Kogi, Edo, Enugu, Imo, Anambra, Ekiti and Bayelsa, as well as the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).

The National Coordinator, of the National Malaria Elimination Programme, Dr. Audu Bala Mohammed, stated this yesterday at the third annual summit of legislative network for universal health coverage held in Abuja.

He said the National Assembly had approved the proposal to secure the $250 million World Bank loan to tackle malaria.

He added that presently, the federal government’s malaria intervention covers 24 states out of the 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory.

“Before now, we were required to cover the whole country but because of this donor fatigue, the amount of money they are giving is not enough to go round the states; so, we have to restrict it to 13 states for the global funds, which are a major donor and 11 states benefiting from presidential malaria initiative. So, we have 13 states where currently we don’t do anything with them and we have to find a way to fill the gap. “ So, at the moment, we are in the process of securing $250 million from the World Bank to tackle the malaria scourge in the remaining 13 states so that the disease can be addressed in a more holistic manner.”

According to Mohammed, 25 per cent of world malaria cases are found in Nigeria, while 19 per cent of deaths recorded from malaria disease worldwide are also in the country.

He said Nigeria had recorded some progress in reversing malaria cases from 42 per cent to 37 per cent within five years when the whole country was aggressively covered before the present relapse.

Mohammed said in order to eradicate malaria scourge, there has to be aggressive intervention on sustainable basis and not small measures or the present partial coverage in some states.

He explained that the federal government has made a proposal of $1.5 billion in its 2014-2020 strategic action plan to address malaria scourge.

Mohammed, however, lamented that this estimate is far from being met, adding that instead, sources of funds are shrinking due donor apathy.

Also while making his presentation at the summit, the Director General of the National Centre for Disease Control in Nigeria (NCDC), Chikwe Ihekweazu, said almost all the 36 states of the federation and the FCT were faced with one form of disease epidemic or the other.

He said beyond the few states where disease epidemic has been reported, other states in the country were threatened by other endemic diseases.

While declaring the summit open, the Senate President, Dr. Ahmad Lawan, who was represented by Senator Robert Ajayi Borrofice, assured the gathering that the National Assembly will always treat health issues with priority it deserves.

He expressed the hope that the one per cent intervention fund set aside from the country’s consolidated revenue account for basic healthcare will be appropriately utilised to deepen health coverage.

He also said the newly signed law on oil production sharing contract would provide government additional $1.6 billion to be channelled towards development of the country.

Similarly, the representative of the World Health Organisation (WHO), Ibrahim Mamodu, urged governments at the federal and state levels to ensure that budgetary allocations to the health sector are not only released in full, but promptly too.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2019/11/15/13-states-to-benefit-from-250m-world-bank-loan-for-malaria-control/amp/

Re: Malaria Control: 13 States To Benefit From $250 Million World Bank Loan by GuestLog: 6:31am On Nov 15, 2019
I don't understand!
He said the National Assembly had approved the proposal to secure the $250 million World Bank LOAN to tackle malaria.
$250m (N90,250,000,000)- N90b to tackle malaria scorge!!! What is the money actually used for really? Are they trying to clean up all the gutters in 13 states or spray insecticides in all the cities? Are they for malaria research or vaccines? This Government is just squeezing money with any available excuse it can grasp like a drowning man grasping straw to survive.

I don't understand.
He explained that the federal government has made a proposal of $1.5 billion in its 2014-2020 strategic action plan to address malaria scourge.
Las Las we'll still have mosquitoes in Nigeria and the government will still use this "scorge" to scam foreign institutions.

This is what they do every year. If Bill Gates is not donating this year, it's World Bank, China, USA or some NGO. But this time, it is loan

Foolish & failed Nigerian recycled leadership since 1985.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Malaria Control: 13 States To Benefit From $250 Million World Bank Loan by Jestin: 6:31am On Nov 15, 2019
It is time to say goodbye to Malaria

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Malaria Control: 13 States To Benefit From $250 Million World Bank Loan by WowSweetGuy(m): 6:32am On Nov 15, 2019
angry This Government have borrowed our children future.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Malaria Control: 13 States To Benefit From $250 Million World Bank Loan by donprinyo(m): 6:32am On Nov 15, 2019
Akuko

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Malaria Control: 13 States To Benefit From $250 Million World Bank Loan by echelons(m): 6:32am On Nov 15, 2019
Millions and millions budgeted to be squandered.

Malaria is a disease caused by a well known vector. Can't we try to keep the environment clean? Blocked drainage systems, wastes dumped everywhere, mosquitoes easily breeding, yet we borrow to treat malaria.

Can't the state and local governments work on the drainage systems in their localities? Can't the sanitation says be resumed and used to open up the drains?

Can't they fumigate the open spaces?

I pray you're not poor and your baby gets malaria, for it will be difficult to access treatment even with all these borrowed Millions.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Malaria Control: 13 States To Benefit From $250 Million World Bank Loan by Marcsunny(m): 6:32am On Nov 15, 2019
Some states won’t use it well
Good news pant trousers for male and white shirt Tm&Next designer in wholesale and retail purchase.The brands are top Europe designers.Any colour kindly dm. By clicking my profile to get my whatapps contact Customers outside lagos will pay a token for delivery.
Re: Malaria Control: 13 States To Benefit From $250 Million World Bank Loan by helinues: 6:32am On Nov 15, 2019
So each states will get $19m.

And this people think N72m is enough for one governor to swallow?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Malaria Control: 13 States To Benefit From $250 Million World Bank Loan by adeniyisamuel59(m): 6:32am On Nov 15, 2019
Wow, another free money to munch uncontrollably.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Malaria Control: 13 States To Benefit From $250 Million World Bank Loan by RESTMOUTH99(m): 6:36am On Nov 15, 2019
But States won't use the fund to fumigate environments instead they will continue buying cheap and less effective nets and distribute to few health centers. Malaria is like a past history in South Africa..
Re: Malaria Control: 13 States To Benefit From $250 Million World Bank Loan by FbcGrafix(m): 6:36am On Nov 15, 2019
I really hope the money is used for what it is actually meant for... For nigeria, e no dey hard e start.

Im a logo designer. Check the link in my signature for my works

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Malaria Control: 13 States To Benefit From $250 Million World Bank Loan by Criticaltemp: 6:37am On Nov 15, 2019
99% of that money will be so embezzle.. You see this regime, curruption is far more critical than the forms government.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Malaria Control: 13 States To Benefit From $250 Million World Bank Loan by oz4real83(m): 6:39am On Nov 15, 2019
The highest they will do is to provide mosquito nets. They forgot that without electricity, sleeping inside mosquito nets for some people like me is a total no no no. But with elerectricity and the fan/airconditioner on, we can sleep in mosquito nets without any qualms. Eradicating malaria is far more than just providing mosquito nets. There are many other issues like the environment, infrastructure that must be addressed in order to eradicate malaria.
Re: Malaria Control: 13 States To Benefit From $250 Million World Bank Loan by Jabioro: 6:40am On Nov 15, 2019
Which malaria are they talking about?
Re: Malaria Control: 13 States To Benefit From $250 Million World Bank Loan by richkal(m): 6:41am On Nov 15, 2019
WowSweetGuy:
angry This Government have borrowed our children future.

Including that of grand children. It is easy to blame the forethers for allowing oyinbos to take over our resources, but we don't realised that we are repeating the same mistake in a new dimension.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Malaria Control: 13 States To Benefit From $250 Million World Bank Loan by yusman14(m): 6:46am On Nov 15, 2019
echelons:
Millions and millions budgeted to be squandered.

Malaria is a disease caused by a well known vector. Can't we try to keep the environment clean? Blocked drainage systems, wastes dumped everywhere, mosquitoes easily breeding, yet we borrow to treat malaria.

Can't the state and local governments work on the drainage systems in their localities? Can't the sanitation says be resumed and used to open up the drains?

Can't they fumigate the open spaces?

I pray you're not poor and your baby gets malaria, for it will be difficult to access treatment even with all these borrowed Millions.
please are you a microbiologist?? if yes, I want to ask this
I am suffering from malaria but my room is mosquito free,I am also neat and ok..
I av been using malaria drugs for the past 8months
hospital sef Don tire me...can stress be causing the malaria??do we have anything like stress induced malaria??

please I need other replies..God bless you sir... please save a soul

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Malaria Control: 13 States To Benefit From $250 Million World Bank Loan by IghravweIG(m): 6:49am On Nov 15, 2019
Can you imagine? Borrowing so much of money just to squander.

Make dem just give me 10% of that funds make i take press jor.
Re: Malaria Control: 13 States To Benefit From $250 Million World Bank Loan by FuckThaMod: 6:49am On Nov 15, 2019
So what's the difference between the 24 states that has been covered and the remaining 13 states?

1 Like

Re: Malaria Control: 13 States To Benefit From $250 Million World Bank Loan by LadySarah: 6:51am On Nov 15, 2019
RESTMOUTH99:
But States won't use the fund to fumigate environments instead they will continue buying cheap and less effective nets and distribute to few health centers. Malaria is like a past history in South Africa..

So that heat will now kill us inside the neat grin

Imagine giving a preggy woman who is already sweating more than normal mosquito net at the antenatal unit to sleep under.No lightoo.

90percent of them will not use it.

The money will soon disappear

Re: Malaria Control: 13 States To Benefit From $250 Million World Bank Loan by Blue3k(m): 6:52am On Nov 15, 2019
Interesting charts to think look at. if Nigeria wants to be malaria free they'll need more than nets.

Re: Malaria Control: 13 States To Benefit From $250 Million World Bank Loan by dollarsplenty(m): 6:54am On Nov 15, 2019
Why borrowing 90billion Naira because of Mosquitoes/Malaria that can be easily controlled and managed?

1 Like

Re: Malaria Control: 13 States To Benefit From $250 Million World Bank Loan by Roon9(m): 6:54am On Nov 15, 2019
Kudos
Re: Malaria Control: 13 States To Benefit From $250 Million World Bank Loan by DeLaRue: 6:58am On Nov 15, 2019
250 million dollars (about N90 billion) to tackle malaria.

I bet politicians in the 13 states are rubbing their hands with glee waiting for the bonanza to arrive in the knowledge that less than 50% of their allocation will go anywhere near malaria treatment.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Malaria Control: 13 States To Benefit From $250 Million World Bank Loan by Wasky101: 6:58am On Nov 15, 2019
Ok
Re: Malaria Control: 13 States To Benefit From $250 Million World Bank Loan by touchmenot: 7:00am On Nov 15, 2019
7 billion for each of the 13 states to squander. What exactly are they preventing. Have never seen govt fumigate the environment, have never seen distribute mosquito net, govt does not clear drainage and govt does not create new drainage. World Bank is enabling corruption as they do not put any control measure in place to ensure money is used for what it is intended for. No mention of the specific activities $250m will be used for. While the former states received free money from donors these 13 states received theirs through loan. The corruption is all the way from World Bank to FG to State & Local govt.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Malaria Control: 13 States To Benefit From $250 Million World Bank Loan by Reference(m): 7:16am On Nov 15, 2019
Third world country. Taking loans to battle bugs...

You just wonder what all the trillions invested in universities is for....
You just wonder what all the btrillions invested in the environment is for....
You just wonder what all the teillions invested in the health sector is for...

....of course paying salaries, buying SUV's and awarding shady contracts....
To get the real job done, to meet the real objectives of goverment you need loans.

Like a man who spends all his wages on bling, booze and beauties. Then when the bills come he takes out IOU's...
Re: Malaria Control: 13 States To Benefit From $250 Million World Bank Loan by omamush(f): 7:17am On Nov 15, 2019
Hay God which kind country I dey

Is malaria our biggest threat now that they have to borrow money? undecided

Re: Malaria Control: 13 States To Benefit From $250 Million World Bank Loan by MoIbrahim: 7:38am On Nov 15, 2019
All these loans, all these borrow-borrow... Sadly, these are the things they'll use to control our lives in the future.

Otherwise, why should they always be looking for avenues to give us a loan? And why do our politicians keep taking, selling our future and that of our children? And we are all quiet. Why?

And they know that Nigeria's problem is not lack of funds, but poor management. But they keep pumping in funds they know will surely be wasted.

Re: Malaria Control: 13 States To Benefit From $250 Million World Bank Loan by havenz(m): 7:55am On Nov 15, 2019
Nigeria government don dey collecting loan since ma mama born me till now, I never one day hear say dem don pay any of the money way the borrow, dem beta no use me as loan exchange one dey ooo.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top 10 Amazing Health Benefits Of African Oil Bean Seed You Really Need To Know / “Wearing Tight Shape Wear Can Cause Blood Clots & Death” – Health Experts / How To Lose 5 KG In 3 Days With This Simple 3 Day Detox Diet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.