Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,007 members, 7,821,532 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:24 PM

Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo (10089 Views)

Some Common Misconceptions Nigerians Have About Other Nigerians. / Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? / Why Would A Human Being Classify Another As An Outcast "Osu" ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by mohadana: 1:54am On Jun 26, 2007
;d ;d ;d
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by gbeborun(m): 12:35pm On Jul 01, 2007
babyosisi:

you want to speak?
all I hear is Yoruba Yoruba grin grin
Omo IBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by DisGuy: 12:47pm On Jul 01, 2007
gbeborun:

calling an Ibo person omo Ibo is offensive apparently wink
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by gbeborun(m): 4:08pm On Jul 01, 2007
@ Dis guy,
apparently calling a yoruba person Yoruba Yoruba isn't offensive i suppose?
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by Nobody: 2:07am On Jul 02, 2007
gbeborun:

I dey.
How about you grin
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by laudate: 6:09pm On Jul 02, 2007
This thread still dey here! Na wa o! Just remembered the son of a Professor from Anambra, who told me a short while ago that Yoruba and Edo people, were one and the same tribe! And the chap repeated it proudly to the hearing of other people, with a derisive snort. This is someone who flaunts the fact that he has a 1st class degree from a foreign university.

I felt like asking him what part of their language, customs, vowels, ceremonies etc. were identical. Then I changed my mind. The guy had an ego the size of a grapefruit. There was no need to dignify his ignorance with an answer. cheesy
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by DisGuy: 8:05pm On Jul 02, 2007
gbeborun:

@ Dis guy,
apparently calling a yoruba person Yoruba Yoruba isn't offensive i suppose?

calling someone omo ibo is marginalisation, tribalism,and every other bad thing, calling someone Yoruba Yoruba is 'just' a joke Yoruba people take very well on the chin wink

[size=5pt]let me run before they come, they have a funny way of following each other around these threads like almajiris[/size]
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by laudate: 8:08pm On Jul 02, 2007
Dis Guy:

calling someone omo ibo is marginalisation, tribalism,and every other bad thing, calling someone Yoruba Yoruba is 'just' a joke Yoruba people take very well on the chin wink

Re-ea-ally??!! You don't say!
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by DisGuy: 8:11pm On Jul 02, 2007
well, i doubt if you'll see them make a thread about it, [size=5pt]their egos are not as big[/size] wink
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by laudate: 8:42pm On Jul 02, 2007
Dis Guy:

well, i doubt if you'll see them make a thread about it, [size=4pt]their egos are not as big[/size] wink

No you won't. . .because the average Yoruba man knows that the term 'Yoruba Yoruba' as used by the Igbo people to describe them, is often used in a condescending, derogatory manner. So is the term ofei mmanu. But they have enough common sense to ignore such taunts, instead of raising 'hell' like some other folks would do.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by DisGuy: 8:49pm On Jul 02, 2007
laudate:

No you won't. . .because the average Yoruba man knows that the term 'Yoruba Yoruba' as used by the Igbo people to describe them, is often used to describe them in a condescending, derogatory manner. So is the term ofei mmanu. But they have enough common sense to ignore such taunts, instead of raising 'hell' like some other folks would do.

Thank you wink
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by romeo(m): 9:29pm On Jul 02, 2007
because they were busy jumping social studies and geography grin grin
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:26pm On Jul 02, 2007
Dis Guy:

calling someone omo ibo is marginalisation, tribalism,and every other bad thing, calling someone Yoruba Yoruba is 'just' a joke Yoruba people take very well on the chinĀ  wink

Why exactly are you speaking for the "Yoruba Yoruba people"? If Igbos are allowed to be offended by "omo naa", why cant someone be offended by "Yoruba" nonsense? Please dont add to the hypocrisy.

No you won't. . .because the average Yoruba man knows that the term 'Yoruba Yoruba' as used by the Igbo people to describe them, is often used in a condescending, derogatory manner. So is the term ofei mmanu.

which our dear osisi does all the time then later comes back and calls it a "joke". yet in her mind "omo naa" is the same as calling someone a "nigger". Lmao. cheesy pitiful
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by romeo(m): 11:28pm On Jul 02, 2007
what is the problem with you? everytime ofe mmanu this ofe mmanu that, hissessss
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by DisGuy: 9:45pm On Jul 03, 2007
so what is ofe mmanu??
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by Nobody: 3:25am On Jul 04, 2007
Ofe mmanu = oily soup, no big deal!. . .Call me Omo Ibo all you like, makes no sense to me because I'm actually Omo Igbo! grin
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by DisGuy: 3:28am On Jul 04, 2007
so who/what is oily soup undecided
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by laudate: 7:06pm On Jul 05, 2007
Dis Guy:

so who/what is oily soup undecided

Go and do some research! sad
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by BlackMamba(m): 9:25pm On Jul 05, 2007
The oily soup and Amala really got me hooked during my stay in Ibadan. Then again may be the good taste comes from the added meat stew that make up 95% of the oily soup. grin
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:55pm On Jul 05, 2007
Donzman:

Ofe mmanu = oily soup, no big deal

To you, maybe.

If "the people who eat without water" is enough to offend some of you then "the people with the oily soup" is enough to offend some of us.

capice?
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by Nobody: 1:32am On Jul 07, 2007
To eat without water doesn't offend me!
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:43am On Jul 09, 2007
You dont speak for everyone.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by ifeanyi10: 12:58pm On Dec 21, 2007
what dont u people babyosisi alone
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by ifeanyi10: 1:05pm On Dec 21, 2007
calling a person omo na or omo ibo is bad,tribalism,and should be conderm
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by DisGuy: 7:43am On Dec 22, 2007
ifeanyi10:

calling a person omo na or omo ibo is bad,tribalism,and should be conderm

do you know the meaning? of omo ibo?

do you find 'omo naija' offensive?
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by oziomatv(m): 12:25pm On Dec 23, 2007
omo in yoruba as I think should be boy or girl (i.e omo igbo-igbo boy/girl)
like wise in igbo we say onye Yoruba (i.e yorubaman)
but the fact we all should find out is in yoruba language does omo signify bad or good?
base on that we can be angry when we're called omo.

Am still suprise that this thread has never generated fight since all these while, showing we are tolerant these days.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by EloSela(f): 7:39am On Jan 04, 2008
There was a time when I used to tell some Yoruba people I met that I was Urhobo. Because of my English accent they most times seemed to assumed that I had lost of the plot and would smear at me that 'It is YORUBA, NOT YOROBO! lol When I took the patience to explain to them that I knew exactly would ethnic group I hailed from and that it was definitely
not Yoruba then they would say I was Igbo. Their arrogance knew no bounds. Some even went on to say that they were the 'main' Nigerians. When I confronted them about that they said that they were joking but there are some things that you just don't make jokes about.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by amsky(m): 12:58pm On Jan 06, 2008
ehe i for say!!!! if elosela no talk put for this matter,e no for complete.almondjoy were you dey.i beg show my dear i miss you.
elosela how are you?we are good now right? grin

be a good girl and take care.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by cheikh: 1:07am On Dec 31, 2010
m@Aproko,@babyosisi&@Kojeiwa- Like you have pointed out/identified correctly, perhaps some of the 'Yoruba' who seem to fall foul of ethnic 'parochialism/chauvinism' are not 'exposed' within the Nigerian context. Also, I'll strongly suggest, perhaps, other Nigerians should show some understanding/sympathy towards the 'ignorant' Yoruba. The "Yoruba' like the rest Nigerians,were the victims of the Nigerian colonial experience which made it possible for everything administrative, economic,political, educational and health/hospitals, Airport etc, to be cited in Lagos/Western part of the country hence the compulsion on the rest of Nigerians to gravitate towards Lagos/West invariably. The indigene/Yoruba of the South West of Nigeria did not have any compelling reason/need/desire whatsoever to reach out/ travel besides going abroad, let alone into the Nigerian hinterland; For what? Everything related to work or life support system/government was cited in Lagos/ South-West of the country, until most recently when the 'administrative' capital was moved to Abuja- Nothing much have changed since the colonial incursion/settlement in Lagos/Nigeria cheesy. It's a little foolhardy to expect a person/ 'victim' who's never had the good fortune/misfortune of travelling beyond their immediate 'homeland' not to make some 'mistakes' or be a little narrow minded/ ignorant of other Nigerians until they actually encounter them- considering the fact that the Nigerian educational system/content(s) is not exactly wholesome-Is it undecided? I think a little generosity of spirit is required of all of us towards each other. Nobody has monopoly of ignorance/knowledge. Nollywood may appear to be Igbo dominated but who are the majority 'Stars' and perhaps some of the best movie makers in the Nollywood Industry? Are they actually Igbo? Their names and ethnic origins are certainly not Igbo I think. Nevertheless, why can't Nigerians celebrate the good/ only authentic product & export to come out of Africa(Nigeria)-Pls see the latest copy of 'The Economist' 18-31 Dec. 2010. 'The Yoruba' like other Nigerians, are mere 'victims' of the general ignorance pervasive amongst Nigerians grin cool. After all the British because they colonised/ruled two-third of the world also make crass assumptions/ thinking everybody speaks English.The Imperialist is a 'victim' of the "empire Syndrome", perhaps from a different perspective- Power! Some 'Yoruba' presumptuously think everyone in Lagos or Nigeria understands/speaks Yoruba language because of what you correctly pointed out- 'lack of exposure'/ ignorant of other Nigerians beyond the South-West.Pls bear in mind that the Yoruba never had the need to go beyond the South West because of the 'Colonial' arrangement of the Nigerian economy. As you can see colonialism affected everyone obliquely/overtly cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by DisGuy: 12:40pm On Dec 31, 2010
so is it Igbo or Ibo

are Calabar people igbo/ibos?
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by asha80(m): 9:40pm On Dec 31, 2010
Dis Guy:

so is it Igbo or Ibo

are Calabar people igbo/ibos?

are you still asking this question in this day and age shocked

abeg google efiks.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by excanny: 8:27am On Jan 01, 2011
cheikh:

m@Aproko,@babyosisi&@Kojeiwa- Like you have pointed out/identified correctly, perhaps some of the 'Yoruba' who seem to fall foul of ethnic 'parochialism/chauvinism' are not 'exposed' within the Nigerian context. Also, I'll strongly suggest, perhaps, other Nigerians should show some understanding/sympathy towards the 'ignorant' Yoruba. The "Yoruba' like the rest Nigerians,were the victims of the Nigerian colonial experience which made it possible for everything administrative, economic,political, educational and health/hospitals, Airport etc, to be cited in Lagos/Western part of the country hence the compulsion on the rest of Nigerians to gravitate towards Lagos/West invariably. The indigene/Yoruba of the South West of Nigeria did not have any compelling reason/need/desire whatsoever to reach out/ travel besides going abroad, let alone into the Nigerian hinterland; For what? Everything related to work or life support system/government was cited in Lagos/ South-West of the country, until most recently when the 'administrative' capital was moved to Abuja- Nothing much have changed since the colonial incursion/settlement in Lagos/Nigeria cheesy. It's a little foolhardy to expect a person/ 'victim' who's never had the good fortune/misfortune of travelling beyond their immediate 'homeland' not to make some 'mistakes' or be a little narrow minded/ ignorant of other Nigerians until they actually encounter them- considering the fact that the Nigerian educational system/content(s) is not exactly wholesome-Is it undecided? I think a little generosity of spirit is required of all of us towards each other. Nobody has monopoly of ignorance/knowledge. Nollywood may appear to be Igbo dominated but who are the majority 'Stars' and perhaps some of the best movie makers in the Nollywood Industry? Are they actually Igbo? Their names and ethnic origins are certainly not Igbo I think. Nevertheless, why can't Nigerians celebrate the good/ only authentic product & export to come out of Africa(Nigeria)-Pls see the latest copy of 'The Economist' 18-31 Dec. 2010. 'The Yoruba' like other Nigerians, are mere 'victims' of the general ignorance pervasive amongst Nigerians grin cool. After all the British because they colonised/ruled two-third of the world also make crass assumptions/ thinking everybody speaks English.The Imperialist is a 'victim' of the "empire Syndrome", perhaps from a different perspective- Power! Some 'Yoruba' presumptuously think everyone in Lagos or Nigeria understands/speaks Yoruba language because of what you correctly pointed out- 'lack of exposure'/ ignorant of other Nigerians beyond the South-West.Pls bear in mind that the Yoruba never had the need to go beyond the South West because of the 'Colonial' arrangement of the Nigerian economy. As you can see colonialism affected everyone obliquely/overtly cool

Good post!

Let say it was the other way round. Like Nigeria's economy being based by the colonialists in a place like Calabar, and Yorubas have to migrate eastward(not that they dont do. I mean in large quantities) I think most would be more conversant with these ethnic groups they mistake for Igbos.

On the other hand, the Efiks/I bibio/Annangs, etc would have been erroneously calling other Nigerians Yoruba.

But I think all depends on modesty. People should be interested in learning about others, instead of making wrong annoying assumptions.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Learn French Live On Nairaland!!! / The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship / THE TAROK PEOPLE'S Culture----best In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.