Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,229 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:10 AM

Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo (10074 Views)

Some Common Misconceptions Nigerians Have About Other Nigerians. / Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? / Why Would A Human Being Classify Another As An Outcast "Osu" ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by Nobody: 1:10am On Jun 15, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

I love how Donz acts like he speaks for all Igbos, so because he and the "people he knows" don't call Edos Yorubas, that means all Igbos don't make that same mistake.

abeg, sharrap jare.

this girl get mouth o.
chei!
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by Iman3(m): 1:15am On Jun 15, 2007
Dem go dey lecture you about your own people grin.They will tell you that they have Igbo friends grin Very soon I go begin lecture other ethnic groups about themselves.I have friends too from different ethnic groups grin
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by debosky(m): 1:17am On Jun 15, 2007
I-man when dem attack you now, don't call me for help oh grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:23am On Jun 15, 2007
Detriot na be better place? make we hear word jare. and where did I say "often", I say that it's a mistake that Igbos make, I said the same way you have some Yorubas mistaking some other tribe as Igbo, we have many people who do the same to Edos, Iteskeris and etc.

You people cry too much anyway. How about people actually stand their ground and correct people instead of weeping in the corner/whining on the internet. shio
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by Nobody: 1:27am On Jun 15, 2007
TOH,aren't you attacking the wrong people.
It was a non Igbo southerner that said Yorubas call him Omo Ibo.
Why are you suddenly turning on the Igbo man?

You should be educating your "brethren" from the wealth of knowledge you've now gathered on nairaland. grin
That there are other tribes in Nigeria besides them and Igbos,it's that simple.
At least you will not bemaking that ignorant mistake again if you ever did
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by Nobody: 1:29am On Jun 15, 2007
Just like a Colombian would not want you to call him a Mexican,an Efik man would not want you to call him an Igbo man,when in doubt people should ask questions!

That's what intelligent people do!
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by Iman3(m): 1:30am On Jun 15, 2007
Make una two go cook for me.I dey hungry grin grin
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by Nobody: 1:31am On Jun 15, 2007
I-man:

Make una two go cook for me.I dey hungry grin grin

I will feed you cow manure with ranch dressing!
You don't know me grin
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:33am On Jun 15, 2007
osisi jere quit being dramatic, no one is turning on anyone.

Just saying that people mistake one tribe for another all the time esp if you grew up just knowing about the three major groups, that is my point.

If a person calls you something that you are not, you correct them instead of making some dumb generalization. Like I said before, people cry too much.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:34am On Jun 15, 2007
babyosisi:

Just like a Colombian would not want you to call him a Mexican,an Efik man would not want you to call him an Igbo man,when in doubt people should ask questions!

That's what intelligent people do!

You live in the states don't you, are you going to deny that most people here call just about every hispanic person a "mexican"?
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by Nobody: 1:49am On Jun 15, 2007
Some people have a hard time saying "I'm Wrong'.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:02am On Jun 15, 2007
yea you should get the diease checked, Donzie.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by kojeiwa(m): 3:42pm On Jun 15, 2007
@Thiefofheart, I am not complaining that the Yorubas classify the Edos as Igbos, i am just surprised at their ignorance.
They should be enlightened about Nigeria different ethnic backgrounds. It's unfortunate for me to correct you about your country's different ethnic backgrounds, it not something you should be proud of.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by JosBoy4Lif(m): 3:45pm On Jun 15, 2007
We are all Nigerian, who cares, Our culture gives us strength, but in cases like this it is a weakness. I don't get why we as Nigerians easilly get assimliated into other cultures such as those in England and US, but we cannot assimilate and become one under our borders. Nigeria is in a serious identity crisis.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by kojeiwa(m): 4:08pm On Jun 15, 2007
True, we are all Nigerians and we all should stand as one Nigeria, especially those Abroad. The younger generation are less conscious about the tribe thing. Then again just for your own knowledge, it's good to be enlightened about the different Nigeria ethnic background so that you can educate the non Nigeria who are interested in knowing more about Nigeria. The fact that we all speak different languages is already a barrier. Its easier for the Americans or Canadians cause they all speak one language.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by laudate: 4:58pm On Jun 15, 2007
Donzman:

See it's comical when people misrepresent ideas. If a person from Akoko-Edo who bears a Yoruba name is mistaken for Yoruba, that's a whole different thing. I've mistaken an Edo person from Auchi as Hausa in the past.

This isn't the same thing as the claim that Igbos OFTEN mistake Edo people as Yoruba, I already told you, if they bear a name that isn't Calabar (sorry Efik), or Yoruba and they're not from the North, we just call them Bendel/Edo/Delta,

Oh yeah? So you now speak for all those from Umunede to Izzi, in Abia State. Well done! Since in your own opinion, none of them has ever mistaken an Edo or Itsekiri or Urhobo or Isoko or Ijaw etc. for a person from another ethnic group, I guess one can safely declare that you are now the mouth piece of Nd'Igbo on Nairaland! wink
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by dakmanzero(m): 10:02pm On Jun 15, 2007
JosBoy4Lif:

We are all Nigerian, who cares, Our culture gives us strength, but in cases like this it is a weakness. I don't get why we as Nigerians easilly get assimliated into other cultures such as those in England and US, but we cannot assimilate and become one under our borders. Nigeria is in a serious identity crisis.

The reason is simple.

The english have a culture

The americans have a culture

Nigerians have no culture

what we have is a fake quasi-anglo-american frankenstein cultural facade dripped over whichever archaic stagnated tribal customs we choose to hold on to, depending on which corner of the country we come from.

As a so-called Nigerian, I speak English and Yoruba. Neither of those languages is spoken in landmasses spanning over 75% of the country. Funny enough, I am better off than millions who do not speak English, instantly cutting themselves off from more than half the rest of the country, and since whatever their local tribal language is is unlikely to be recognized internationally, unless it is Hausa, they are cut off from the world as well.

And please dont give me some shit about some cultural dances being 'culture'. Because we have chosen to seperate civilisation from out native customs, we have stagnated them in the dark ages and turned them into archaic relics of a dead age.

Of course anyone who steps out of the country will get 'assimilated'. Because he has one of 2 options if he chooses NOT to be assimilated

(a) stick to the nigerianized version of western culture. Since its simply a poor imitation of what hes trying not to be assimilated by, this is equal parts futile and stupid.

(b) stick to his local tribal customs. And act like an uncivilised baboon, disgracing his people and country with every step. Marrying multiple wives and slashing the faces and genitals of his children.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:53am On Jun 16, 2007
laudate:

Oh yeah? So you now speak for all those from Umunede to Izzi, in Abia State. Well done! Since in your own opinion, none of them has ever mistaken an Edo or Itsekiri or Urhobo or Isoko or Ijaw etc. for a person from another ethnic group, I guess one can safely declare that you are now the mouth piece of Nd'Igbo on Nairaland! wink

Thank you jare. Donz can be quite tiresome
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by gbeborun(m): 11:56am On Jun 17, 2007
dakmanzero:

The reason is simple.

The english have a culture

The americans have a culture

Nigerians have no culture

what we have is a fake quasi-anglo-american frankenstein cultural facade dripped over whichever archaic stagnated tribal customs we choose to hold on to, depending on which corner of the country we come from.

As a so-called Nigerian, I speak English and Yoruba. Neither of those languages is spoken in landmasses spanning over 75% of the country. Funny enough, I am better off than millions who do not speak English, instantly cutting themselves off from more than half the rest of the country, and since whatever their local tribal language is is unlikely to be recognized internationally, unless it is Hausa, they are cut off from the world as well.

And please don't give me some shit about some cultural dances being 'culture'. Because we have chosen to seperate civilisation from out native customs, we have stagnated them in the dark ages and turned them into archaic relics of a dead age.

Of course anyone who steps out of the country will get 'assimilated'. Because he has one of 2 options if he chooses NOT to be assimilated

(a) stick to the nigerianized version of western culture. Since its simply a poor imitation of what hes trying not to be assimilated by, this is equal parts futile and stupid.

(b) stick to his local tribal customs. And act like an uncivilised baboon, disgracing his people and country with every step. Marrying multiple wives and slashing the faces and genitals of his children.

Didnt realise we dont have a culture in Nigeria. Silly you! I strongly agree with the person that said Nigerians are going thru identity crisis.
Most people make the mistake, just like people in Africa (Nigeria) consider everyone in England/United Kingdon to be English, when some are Welsh, Irish, Cornish, Scottish etc. My bro that mistaken identity is not peculiar to Yoruba people!
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by gbeborun(m): 12:28pm On Jun 17, 2007
WHy do Yorubas classify every other Nigerian as Igbo? Very simple, cos it's easier! Imagine the different languages and people, how can you remember them all?
North East Nigeria - Fulani, Kanuri
North Central - Nupe, Tiv, Idoma, Igalla, Igbira, Gwari
North West- Fulani, Hausa, Kanuri
South East- Igbo, Anioma,
South- South- Urhobo, Itsekiri, Ijaw(Ezon), Isoko, Kalabari, Ikwerre, Andoni, Bini, Akoko Edo, Ibibio, Efik,
SOuth West- YORUBA

Me think a distinction has to be made between LANGUAGE and PEOPLE!
Or better still refer to people by their state of origin e.g Omo Delta, Omo Edo etc. Cos no be everybody know the sub divisions for nigeria. Dont blame any that makes the mistaken of callin non -Yorubas Igbo, Ijaw or Hausa. Simply correct them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by gbeborun(m): 12:33pm On Jun 17, 2007
@babyosisi
think you're very troublesome and quarelsome. You're a tribalist. You can only try, nothing you fit do to YORUBA people you hear! Tribalist
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by dakmanzero(m): 1:25pm On Jun 17, 2007
Gbeborun

You say 'silly you' to me on the issue of NIGERIA not having a culture.

You then proceed to present an excuse for people commiting the deadly insult of mistaking one tribe for another by claiming that there are so many tribes, so its OK to just lump them togather as one.

You THEN go ahead to claim you agree that Nigerians are in an 'Identity crisis'

Then you attack babyosisi for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

I think you need to chill out, relax, and stop inhaling that glue or alabukun or whatever it is that is confusing you. Chill out, enh? Life isnt that hard!

(PS. Nigeria doesnt have a culture. Quote me anywhere. What are Nigerians known for worldwide besides 419?! What will a foreigner do that will make people say 'you act like a NIGERIAN', not 'You act like an Igboman' or 'you are an Ijebu')
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by gbeborun(m): 6:53pm On Jun 17, 2007
@dakmanzero,
Think i like the feel of the glue! It really makes me high tongue. Sorry for the silly word, but no apologies to babyosisi! dunno her problem with yoruba people. h
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by Nobody: 2:49am On Jun 18, 2007
gbeborun:

@babyosisi
think you're very troublesome and quarelsome. You're a tribalist. You can only try, nothing you fit do to YORUBA people you hear! Tribalist

dying for attention huh?
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by Arnold1(m): 4:14pm On Jun 18, 2007
gbeborun:

@babyosisi

Thank God I am not the only one who can see through her. Any one with an ounce of sense can see that babyosisi is nothing but a yoruba hater, a Tribalist.

Go and preach your yoruba hatred on , your fellow kinsmen will gladly welcome you with open arms.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by dakmanzero(m): 6:45pm On Jun 18, 2007
babyosisi

are u a yoruba hater
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by gbeborun(m): 7:20pm On Jun 18, 2007
babyosisi:

dying for attention huh?

yes, from intelligent and courteous people, sorry lady not people like you. TRIBALIST, u better stop your message of hate!
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by Nobody: 9:31pm On Jun 18, 2007
dakmanzero:

babyosisi

are u a yoruba hater

not at all.
I'm a lover not a hater.
Never hated anyone and never will.

gbeborun and  sidekick,I've seen much bigger masquerades and cannot be fazed by children playing dress ups.
If you both are dying to make an impact on nairaland,please don't ride on my back to do so.
Where or what on this thread insinuates I hate Yorubas?
I hate no one,not even you two despite your inability to act and reason like grown ups.

If you two happen to be among the Yorubas that call other Southerners Omo Ibo,something I never knew till this thread,this is now an opportunity for you to learn or else buzz off like some angry yellow jackets. grin
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by debosky(m): 10:00pm On Jun 18, 2007
Omo Ibo what are you talking dia? grin grin grin

gbebs and kicky I suggest you square up against xtycod and docokwy. their Yoruba hatred is second to none wink
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jun 18, 2007
debosky:

Omo Ibo what are you talking dia? grin grin grin

gbebs and kicky I suggest you square up against xtycod and docokwy. their Yoruba hatred is second to none wink

lol.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by gbeborun(m): 6:36pm On Jun 19, 2007
babyosisi:

lol.

never knew we were having a popularity contest on nairaland. anyways, dont need your support/help neither to cast aspersion on ur person to be popular. meanwhile you still remain a tribalist, you better change your ugly ways. see who say make person act like grown up. ewu! omo ibo
Re: Why Do Yorubas Classify Every Other Nigerians As Igbo by Nobody: 5:39pm On Jun 25, 2007
gbeborun:

never knew we were having a popularity contest on nairaland. anyways, don't need your support/help neither to cast aspersion on your person to be popular. meanwhile you still remain a tribalist, you better change your ugly ways. see who say make person act like grown up. ewu! omo ibo

you want to speak?
all I hear is Yoruba Yoruba grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

LASG Announces Saturday, May 2nd 2015 As New Date For Lagos Carnival / What Are The Tribes Yoruba Defeated At War In History? / Learn French Live On Nairaland!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.