Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,195 members, 7,829,274 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:39 PM

Resist The Devil Successfully - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Resist The Devil Successfully (1981 Views)

How The Devil Successfully Made Homosexualism Sane. / Please How Do I Resist The Devil? / Church Of Satan Now Opened For All Willing To Join And May The Devil Give You Joy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Resist The Devil Successfully by yommyuk: 9:15am On Nov 21, 2010
The bible tells us to resist the devil. What does that actually mean? Some Christians mistakely think that determination and will power can do the trick. Others shout at the devil, but with predictably discouraging results. The Islamic followers even go further by throwing stones at a statue. To gain the ability to resist the devil successfully will require having a deep understanding of his character, aim and operation. Knowing this will yeild dramatic results

John 10:10 tells us that "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."

We should never lose sight of the fact that the devil has an unending desire to steal, kill, and destroy anything he can in your life. That is why Jesus christ called him " a murderer" (John 8:44). The devil's aim is to snatch salvation from us and lead us to eternal damnation. Woe unto him!

Thank God that we have the scriptures which gives us invaluable insights on how to resist the devil victoriously.

1 Peter 5:8-9
Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings.

James 4:6-8
But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.

What are those things that can make us less resistant to the devil? What are those "intoxicants" that can give the devil an entrance into our spiritual life? Is it Alcohol, Opposite sex, Things of sexual nature, Associations, Places we attend, Books we read, Information we allow into our system, The music we listen to, Peer pressure, Traditions or Self?

1. The key action word is to "Abstain". Let your stance be zero tolerance.
2. Be alert by not letting the devil catch you napping.
3. Praying and fasting without ceasing are key weapons that will set the devil on fire and flee from you.
4. “Resist him, standing firm in the faith.” (Eph 6:13) A solid walk in faith, and “in the faith”, is a strong defense against the devil.
5. To resist the devil, live a life of humility. The proud and arrogant are high-profile, easily-hit targets for the devil.
6. To resist the devil, stay submitt(ed) to God
7. Draw nigh to God. The nearer you live to God in your daily life, the more difficult you make it for the devil to harass you.
8. “Wash your hands, you sinners.” This speaks of repenting of sinful conduct. If we continue with unrepented sin in our lives, we do not have a secure foundation from which to resist the enemy of our souls.
9.  “purify your hearts” — from which, Jesus said, sinful conduct originates (Matthew 15:18-19).

Ephesians 6:11
Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.

What is the full armor of God?

1. Salvation
2  Gospel of peace
3  Truth
4  Righteousness
5  Faith
6  The word of God

Remember, it is the devil, it is the spiritual forces of evil, not your fellow humans who are the real enemy that we fight. And always remember that it is in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ (Mark 16:17) that victory over the devil is made certain

God Bless wink
Re: Resist The Devil Successfully by Nobody: 9:53am On Nov 21, 2010
I love the way you have summarized it, kindly allow me to contribute one insight from your posts

4. “Resist him, standing firm in the faith.” (Eph 6:13) A solid walk in faith, and “in the faith”, is a strong defense against the devil.

James 4:6-8
But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.

The key challenge in this fight is the Fight against our inner demons (ourselves).

Inasmuch as the Devil (Prince of Darkness and all that is Evil) has commenced on this agenda to rubbish God's creation; We (Humans) are the key to his success and the very fact that we have been given the Choice between Good and Evil places the burden of the battle squarely on our shoulders and as God once put it

Genesis 6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

Genesis 8:21: "And when the LORD smelled the pleasing aroma, the LORD said in his heart, "I will never again curse the ground because of man, for the intention of man’s heart is evil from his youth. Neither will I ever again strike down every living creature as I have done.

Job 15:14: What is man, that he can be pure? Or he who is born of a woman, that he can be righteous?

Psalms 51:5: "Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me."

Ecclesiastes 9:3: "This is an evil in all that is done under the sun, that the same event happens to all. Also, the hearts of the children of man are full of evil, and madness is in their hearts while they live, and after that they go to the dead."

Titus 3:3: "For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another.

Mark 7:21-23: "For from within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, coveting, wickedness, deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within, and they defile a person."

The Battle for our Soul starts from the Heart of Man, When you are not born in the Spirit and growing through reading and understanding the Word of God, you cannot put your Heart under control and allow the Devil leverage to cause you to SIN
Re: Resist The Devil Successfully by yommyuk: 11:09pm On Nov 21, 2010
Jesus' mission of announcing and bringing in the kingdom of God inevitably led to conflict with satan's forces. Likewise the same thing will happen when we choose to become Christ's disciples. This is contrary to the common saying in some Churches that all will be easy for christians. The devil is a liar.

Mature christians are aware that satan has power over kingdoms and that he has angels at his command.

Matthew 4:8-9
Next the devil took him(Jesus) to the peak of a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. I will give it all to you. he(satan)said,"if you will kneel down and worship me."

Matthew 25:41
Then the King will turn to those on the left and say,'Away with you, you curse ones, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his demons
"HIS DEMONS" Literally his angels or messengers. How do you recognise his messengers? (Lets leave that for another thread)

Satan's primary tool is temptation, and his goal is to generate disobedience to God. He succeeded with the first Adam but failed woe fully with the second Adam, our Lord Jesus Christ.

Therefore brethen do not fret. the devil is already defeated.

Revelation 20:10
Then the devil who had deceived them, was thrown into the fiery lake of burning sulfur, joining the beast and the false prophet. There they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

See the bolded part of the last scripture, It is all in the past. Judgement has already being pronounced. Thank God that we the righteous will go into eternal life (Matthew 25:46)
Re: Resist The Devil Successfully by Nobody: 12:50am On Nov 22, 2010

(1) (Reply)

How Can We Call Him A Loving And Merciful God, When He Clearly Is Not? / 5 Silly Things That Nairaland Christians Do (updated From 3) / Fake Preacher Rob Bell Who Questioned Hell Turns Self Help Guru On Oprah's Show

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.