Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,929 members, 7,835,101 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:13 AM

My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo - Romance (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo (80995 Views)

Can You Marry An Ex Hook Up Girl If She Changed? / Ladies: 10 Reasons Why You Should Educate Your Man About Your "Ovulation Period" / Lady About To Marry An Uber Driver She 'Toasted' After He picked her (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by overlord77: 9:45am On Nov 24, 2019

I am really worried and depressed about it, cause I don't want anything that will affect me tomorrow when I want to get married just because of my sister's mistakes.

@TheSkyIsBlue to summarize, everything you just said is all about you and your future, whether your sister is happy or not, it's non of your business. Very selfish.

This is the worst form of descrimination, cos you got same hair,same skin colour, same country and even same state yet you had the guts to spew all these here. People like you are the ones that quickly scream racism when spoken rudely to by a white person yet you can't stand someone from same state as you.

Abeg go siddon!
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Nobody: 9:46am On Nov 24, 2019
everyone is your family should be arrested except your dad
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by davit: 9:47am On Nov 24, 2019
It is obvious that you too are yet to be liberated like your sister. Are you educated at all? I mean real education. If you are, you won't be lamenting about this stupid tradition of Osu. SMH
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by GreenDee(f): 9:47am On Nov 24, 2019
LadySarah:
When you say swear by Amadioha,they will say they are xtains.Oya love your neighboyr as yourself,you say ur fellow human being is an outcast.
Is it not the bible that said''thou shall not call anything unclean.''
I wish the guy don give your sis belle so you guys will do ur worst!
O ginidi?
das true..nice one sis

2 Likes

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by farmboy: 9:49am On Nov 24, 2019
So we have stupid people on nairaland this much? In this century still holding to outcast theory?
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by babtoundey(m): 9:50am On Nov 24, 2019
I under your plight, dear OP. You and your family won't allow your sister to marry the man because he is a POOR Osu. Assuming the man in question is a rich Osu you will be the first to come online to brag of how civilised and indiscriminatory your family is.

Osu ko Odun ni. Nonsense and senselessness!

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Nobody: 9:51am On Nov 24, 2019
franchasng:
You are a foolish Igbo boy! One of the few foolish Igbo boys disgracing the great Igbo tribe, you are a disgrace to Igbo tribe.

What gave you the efontry to bring this your stupidity to Nairaland Foolish boy angry angry

Are you not aware that Osu caste system in Igbo land has been abolished by traditional rulers in Igbo land

Osu caste is now part of the dark history of the Igbo tribe, it does not exist anymore, free your enlightened, brave sister and go back to your cave little foolish boy angry angry

So what you are saying is that you can marry into an Osu family? undecided
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by KevinAlasco: 9:51am On Nov 24, 2019
my brother she is not making any mistake,that tradition is too barbaric in this 21st century,so don't reason like that she will not bring any problem to you,you have to stand by her is now she need you people most.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by EasternPrince: 9:52am On Nov 24, 2019
[s]
midnighter:

His dad has already married and had children so his concerns are different.

This is his own future family on the line, that's why he's worried. He has a right to be worried because that stuff can affect you in the future, especially as a man
[/s]

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Systrom(m): 9:53am On Nov 24, 2019
Adinije:
Slaves and Osu are not the same thing bro. Though both are considered outcast.

In olden days, the oppressed run to the gods for protection (thereby they become properties of the gods.) Once, this happens, they are considered as Osu. Nobody will want to associate with them because if you cause them any harm, you have incurred the wrath of the gods.

People also became Osu when the community dedicate them to the gods (Life sacrifice).

People become Osus in many ways.

What I have said is not wrong but very correct.

Your own contribution is also not wrong.

The way people become Osus differ in Igbo villages, towns, local governments and states.

But the general explanation that is unified is that Osus are outcasts who are properties of the gods.

In some Igbo towns, when a man commits a heinous crime, maybe kill someone, rape someone, commits incest, disobeys the kings order, such person is banished from the town and dedicated to the gods and thus becomes an Osu. His children, family and descendants also bear the brunt and are tagged as Osu as well.

The Osu caste system differs all over Igbo land.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Bbbwings: 9:53am On Nov 24, 2019
Mindfulness:
Your sister is a hero. She has my blessings too. You people should try and live in the 21st century. Kuddos to your dad as well.
You've spoken well.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Kennyswagzz: 9:55am On Nov 24, 2019
pocohantas:
Igbos have some stone age mentality, stereotype and mindset that is very troubling to a new-generation person. They will be quick to put mouth in external matters, but the ones they do ehn.

Few months back one of our drivers died. I was very shocked to discover they still do some shii to widows. Gosh!

Osu in 2019?

Tufiakwa!!
are you not igbo? Why are you insulting your people
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by kellyezekiel1997(m): 9:55am On Nov 24, 2019
Bia oga chill ooo
Osu (out-cast) has been destroyed since December 2018.
This was done in support of all d head rulers of Igbo clan.
The ceremony took place in Arochukwu last year december, with that osu cast system ended in Igbo land.

Igbo kwenu.....
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Tellemall: 9:56am On Nov 24, 2019
Mindfulness:
Your sister is a hero. She has my blessings too. You people should try and live in the 21st century. Kuddos to your dad as well.

He mentioned that the stigma will extend to him. So because of her love choices, he and the rest of the family should be branded as outcasts, too?

People need to think of the extent of their choices. It's like choosing to marry a person with a contagious incurable disease, will that be a perfect option for a person who wants lifelong partnership? If not, find someone else. Same with this tradition. Why bring stigma to your whole family, why not adjust?
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by toprealman: 9:56am On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:
My Sister Is About To Commit A Serious Taboo All In The Name Of Marriage

Hello Nairalanders!

Please ignore any typographical or grammatical error. I just want to pour it out the way it is in my heart.

I am seriously confused and worried about what is happening in my family and I will appreciate your candid advice.

There is this guy my sister has been in a relationship with for over seven years now. so he actually asked her hand in marriage and decided to come see my parents for introduction, about some months ago. My family decided to take their time to find out more about the guys family background as is required in Igbo tradition.

After several questions asked, my family came to find out that the guy is an Osu (an outcast). On knowing this, everybody in my family told my sister to cut ties with him and discontinue the relationship because it is a big taboo to get married to an Osu in my place . If you do, no family member or friend will attend your wedding or even have anything to do with you again.

But my sister refused to listen to anybody claiming she really loves the guy, that they have been together for a very long time and that she is not getting younger anymore (mind you, she is in her early thirties). Everybody (my parents and extended family members) tried to talk her out of it but she still didn't listen.

After much pressure and her continues insistence, my dad decided to give them his blessings, although against his wish (my dad is actually not really deep into tradition). Now the guy has done all the traditional rights and paid for her dowry. Their wedding is coming up soon.

But the problem now is, according to tradition and from what I heard, if she was allowed to go with the guy without my dad giving them his blessings, the stigma would have just been on her and she alone would have been considered Osu, since she insisted to continue with the marriage. But now that my dad has given them his blessings, it is considered that all of us (her siblings) will also have that link of Osu too. Except if she decide to put an end to the relationship and discontinue with the wedding, which I don't think my sister is ready to do.

I am really worried and depressed about it, cause I don't want anything that will affect me tomorrow when I want to get married just because of my sister's mistakes.

I will really like to get opinions and sincere advice especially from those that are familiar with tradition, cause I'm seriously bothered. Thanks!

I am sure when filling forms you boldly type GRADUATE (EDUCATED).
I am also certain you criticised South Africa for xenophobia. Kindly tell me what you guys are exhibiting all in the name of "tradition" should be called?

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by EasternPrince: 9:57am On Nov 24, 2019
midnighter:

So are both osu and ohu stigmatised in the same way?

They don't like your type if that's what you are asking.

@Odingo1
Nwoke ike na wahala be this one oo.

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Tellemall: 9:58am On Nov 24, 2019
Mindfulness:

He mentioned that the stigma will extend to him. So because of her love choices, he and the rest of the family should be branded as outcasts, too?

People need to think of the extent of their choices. It's like choosing to marry a person with a contagious incurable disease, will that be a perfect option for a person who wants lifelong partnership? If not, find someone else. Same with this tradition. Why bring stigma to your whole family, why not adjust?

If people adhere so strongly to such a tradition, what sort of life does she want to give her family because of her selfish choices? Everyone giving congratulations isn't really thinking about the ripple effect, just momentary gratification. Can they live with the ostracization?

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by jseth: 9:59am On Nov 24, 2019
outcast dey say in this our present generation. she has finally found a man that will make her happy for the rest of her life and take her out of the market which is the prayer of every parent to see that day and here u r, calling it a taboo. kudos to that your sister for standing on her decision and fighting for what she want. tradition will not provide her husband and neither will tradition make her happy and come to think of it, you expect her to leave a relationship of over seven years that she has worked so hard to get to that point. my brother, you people should have conscience nah, fear God
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by franchasng: 9:59am On Nov 24, 2019
FrLukas:

So what you are saying is that you can marry into an Osu family? undecided
First, there is nothing like Osu family in my book and in the book of my family...we are enlightened, I have never for once believed in that nonsense bullshyyt called Osu caste system....its only for foolish tribalistic herbalist like the op that uphold it.

Do you know how many of the so called Osu people that are Governors, Ministers, Senators, MDs, CEOs, why did they rose to those heights if they are a taboo Use your head, stop allowing useless traditions to limit your progress in life, free your mind, damn those that hold on to those foolish traditional beliefs like Osu caste because it is bullshyyyt!!
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by NaMeAboki: 10:01am On Nov 24, 2019
So this barbaric tradition is still very much alive and working even after they claimed to have outlawed it?
No Igbo should henceforth complain of marginalisation when in fact they are busy discriminating against themselves.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Nobody: 10:01am On Nov 24, 2019
Please, which village is this, that still talks about 'Osu' in Igbo land?
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by DMerciful(m): 10:04am On Nov 24, 2019
Its obvious the op made this post to get comments and probably bash Igbos. Osu cast system has been prohibited in Igbo land. OP is just being mischievous!
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by AmuDimpka: 10:04am On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

Please ignore any typographical or grammatical error. I just want to pour it out the way it is in my heart.

I am seriously confused and worried about what is happening in my family and I will appreciate your candid advice.

There is this guy my sister has been in a relationship with for over seven years now. so he actually asked her hand in marriage and decided to come see my parents for introduction, about some months ago. My family decided to take their time to find out more about the guys family background as is required in Igbo tradition.

After several questions asked, my family came to find out that the guy is an Osu (an outcast). On knowing this, everybody in my family told my sister to cut ties with him and discontinue the relationship because it is a big taboo to get married to an Osu in my place . If you do, no family member or friend will attend your wedding or even have anything to do with you again.

But my sister refused to listen to anybody claiming she really loves the guy, that they have been together for a very long time and that she is not getting younger anymore (mind you, she is in her early thirties). Everybody (my parents and extended family members) tried to talk her out of it but she still didn't listen.

After much pressure and her continues insistence, my dad decided to give them his blessings, although against his wish (my dad is actually not really deep into tradition). Now the guy has done all the traditional rights and paid for her dowry. Their wedding is coming up soon.

But the problem now is, according to tradition and from what I heard, if she was allowed to go with the guy without my dad giving them his blessings, the stigma would have just been on her and she alone would have been considered Osu, since she insisted to continue with the marriage. But now that my dad has given them his blessings, it is considered that all of us (her siblings) will also have that link of Osu too. Except if she decide to put an end to the relationship and discontinue with the wedding, which I don't think my sister is ready to do.

I will really like to get opinions and sincere advice especially from those that are familiar with tradition, cause I'm seriously bothered. Thanks!

I am an Igbo man from Abịa State .. Trust ke, you are stupid and your family is stupid...ndị nzuzu! Ana akogheri na emebohari ndị Igbo ....kutokpa gbagbuo unu ebe ahụ

What is osu ? Are you guys stupid ? You have been buying from people also interacting with people do you know who is osu ! Igbo land abolished That....so hey the hell with that

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Kennyswagzz: 10:04am On Nov 24, 2019
creekman:

Ibos and their traditions. You hate Hausa's, you hate d Yoruba's. You even hate your fellow igbo person all in d name of Osu. What a tribe..
a cursed tribe
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by AmuDimpka: 10:06am On Nov 24, 2019
DMerciful:
Its obvious the op made this post to get comments and probably bash Igbos. Osu cast system has been prohibited in Igbo land. OP is just being mischievous!

Don't mind the idiot....very stupid op! Ask her her the village gag still practice this madness

Nzuzu

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Evangkatsoulis: 10:06am On Nov 24, 2019
Jfyzee:
Pls someone should tell OP that that culture and tradition of his has been abolished some years back.

He can as well, make use of his google to confirm since ignorance is disease in his family.. undecided undecided
Who abolished the tradition? And what authority does the person have?
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by AmuDimpka: 10:06am On Nov 24, 2019
Kennyswagzz:
a cursed tribe
. And Yoruba a treachery tribe as fani kayde made us to know ....idiot
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Xscape1993(m): 10:07am On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

I am seriously confused and worried about what is happening in my family and I will appreciate your candid advice. What is Osu in this modern Christian world? Some people are very funny in this part of the world. Congratulations to your sister on her sweet wedding day!

Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by AmuDimpka: 10:08am On Nov 24, 2019
Evangkatsoulis:

Who abolished the tradition? And what authority does the person have?

The Igbo king's came together at Nri some years ago to do that

What is wrong with us Igbo...that is why majority of Igbo don't support this Biafra thing

Biafra gbukwa ha there...igbo ndi nzuzu...ana ezuzu ghari
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by Evangkatsoulis: 10:10am On Nov 24, 2019
AmuDimpka:

The Igbo king's came together at Nri some years ago to do that

What is wrong with us Igbo...that is why majority of Igbo don't support this Biafra thing

Biafra gbukwa ha there...igbo ndi nzuzu...ana ezuzu ghari
Ok. What is the history behind the osu? And how do the "kings" have power to abolish a spiritual tradition?
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by actrinity(m): 10:11am On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

osu has been abolished in Igboland about a year or two years ago. The kings in Igboland came together, performed some rituals and declared that there is nothing like osu anymore. so my dear, leave ur sister to marry her love. there is nothing like osu anymore in Igboland. it has been abolished. law is made for man, not man for the law.
shalom.
Re: My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo by player007(m): 10:11am On Nov 24, 2019
TheSkyIsBlue:

Hello Nairalanders!

Your family is willing to loose a daughter because of that?
how about coming together as a family and praying for her?
Abeg where is her wedding happening?
will like to support her by attending.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (21) (Reply)

Coping With A Spouse With High Sex Drive / Sex Tips: How To Lose Your Virginity Without Pain (girls) / When A Guy Passes By, What Do Girls Look At?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.