Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,035 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:04 AM

Jonathan Is An Opportunist - Ray Murphy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Is An Opportunist - Ray Murphy (715 Views)

Gov Fashola Is An Opportunist / Ojo Maduekwe, An Opportunist, Says American Official ! / Col. Lawal Gwadabe (rtd) Is Liar And An Opportunist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Is An Opportunist - Ray Murphy by Nobody: 4:28pm On Nov 21, 2010
Weekly Trust: What is the South-South Unity Forum all about?
Chief Ray Murphy: The South–South Unity Forum is composed of multi-partisan political leaders of different forces and social groups who are concerned, not only about the core interest of the South-South zone, but also about the unity and continued stability of Nigeria. We are motivated and united by the fundamental concern and challenges which confront the South–South zone on an honest platform. We are discussing and interfacing with other zones in the country. The Forum recognizes that the stability of the nation depends on peace. And peace is founded on mutual respect and capacity to live with one another. We also recognize that the absence of the above is a recipe for war and disharmony. On zoning and rotation, especially as it affects the office of the president and other executive posts, we don’t like the way it is being handled right now. The South-South Unity Forum unequivocally subscribes to zoning and rotation in view of the plurality of our country. The Forum stands by and upholds zoning on behalf of the people of the South–South. We accept that Nigerians, not just the PDP alone, subscribe to zoning and rotation. It is on the basis of zoning that the current government is structured. You will recall that former President Olusegun Obasanjo was President of Nigeria for eight years and all attempts to pull him down were resisted because they believed that for the unity of this country, the Yorubas should serve out their term. Even some of the current presidential aspirants from the North had to intervene to stop the Ghali Na’aba-led House of Representatives from impeaching him. You recall that in the 2007 presidential primaries, people like Dr. Peter Odili, who could have done a better job at the primaries, were prevented from contesting because of zoning according to Donald Duke. There was this well publicized expanded caucus meeting in which these principal characters attended and subscribed to zoning as a principle. And a principle is that which override individual interest at all times.
We don’t want people to believe that the South-South zone is a zone of opportunists going by the stand of these people who are now saying that there is no zoning just because they found themselves in the corridors of power. That is not how a nation is constructed. Nations are constructed on the principles that allow the country to live in peace. Therefore, we of the South-South Unity Forum believe in peace. We believe and accept that there is zoning which gives northern Nigeria the presidency of Nigeria from 2007 to 2015. We also subsequently expect that 2015 will be our turn to produce the president of Nigeria. If you observe very well, you will see that right now, nobody is running for the president from the South West and South-East because they know that zoning exists. If there is anybody at all running for the presidency from these areas, they are not people of note. They are pretenders. So, why are we distorting and denying what we know is true? Our Christian faith teaches us that we should do unto others what we want them to do to us. Christianity also teaches us that our neighbors are critical to our success.
We in the South–South Unity Forum don’t subscribe to the notion that might is right as those of them who have power now seem to be behaving. We are expressing the true feelings of the people of the Niger-Delta. Mind you it is our people who agitated for zoning and rotation in all the constitutional conferences to make for equitable participation. If not for zoning, how is it possible for a minority tribe of 15,000 people to become Senate President.
WT: Do the majority of the people of the south-south share in your optimism because the contrary seems to be the case?
Murphy: Absolutely. Let me construct the South-South for you. It is a multi-ethnic region made of Ijaw, Ishekiri, Ibibio, Efik, Annang, Ogoja, Delta Ibo, Ikwere, Edo, Urohbo and many other ethnic groups. The south-south extends from the creeks to the savannah land. I come from the savannah land. I come from Ogoja. A lot of people come from Edo and others from the thick forested areas like Boki, the largest forest reserve in West Africa. Our people are farmers and fishermen.
This picture I have painted for you shows that we are a diverse people. Let me make it clear to you that the majority of our people do not have access to the media to air their views. Most of the people who are in power can be heard. Our people recognize that peace is a foundation of the society. Look, this idea that the bowler hat is the tradition of the South-South is not true. That is the tradition of less than 10 per cent of the population of the South-South. Where I come from, we wear red caps. Do you hear these people? No. They are in their towns and villages doing their businesses. You should never mistake the voice of the few as the voice of the majority.
WT: But it appears that when the Ijaws sneeze, the entire South-South catches cold?
Murphy: That is the misrepresentation of fact. That cannot be so. Let me also tell you that we are honorable people. We know for a fact that Bayelsa State was created by late General Sani Abacha. We also know that Bayelsa State is the only state with eight local government areas. The state will have gotten more local government areas if there were people or land to create more. And Bayelsa is the headquarters of Ijawland. You have Akwa Ibom State which today enjoys the largest royalties because it has several oil wells. What is happening today is that the Nigerian state is rewarding those who make trouble. And that does not reflect the true nature of the south-south. Where I come from, we are traditional warriors but that does not mean that we terrorize other people. We live in peace with our neighbors.
WT: Can you point to any Ijaw-man today who is anti-Jonathan?
Murphy: This South-South Unity Forum is an interesting thing. I am not here to speak either for or against Jonathan. But, am telling you that majority of the people of the south-south know that there is zoning. Let’s talk politics here if you really think that everybody support Jonathan. What is the crisis in Jonathan’s home state of Bayelsa all about? It is not because that it is perceived that he is not in support of the president. Didn’t you hear that those who threw stone against the governor when Jonathan visited Bayelsa were sponsored? The question is by whom? Did you not see advertorial from some people from the Ijaw nation that this is not what they bargained for? I don’t have anything against Ijaw people. All I am saying is that the Ijaws have their space and we have ours. In a democracy there is pluralism. We at the South–South Unity Forum, we are saying no to this politics of opportunism. If we abandon zoning, how can someone like me from a minority become President?
Look, Dr. Joseph Wayas became Senate President in 1979 because of zoning. How will that have been possible knowing fully well that he came from an ethnic group whose population is not more than 15,000 people? That is a fact. Let me say it loud and clear that we the notable leaders in the South-South Unity Forum cannot be said not to be speaking for our people. Chief Tom Ikimi who was a signatory to our advertorial is well known. Dr. Akpanika is also well known medical practitioner since 1970. Socrates said society is made of two categories of people- lovers of gain and lovers of honor. We chose to be lovers of honor. The voices that are dominant now are voices of disunity and we say we are for a united Nigeria. The interest of one man cannot be greater than the interest of the country. It is as if they are saying, let’s have this one chance and we are done. We say no. What about the interest of those yet unborn?
WT: How will you respond to those who might say that your group is a sellout?
Murphy: One of the sad ironies in this country is that people who are telling lies are most time taken as those speaking the truth. If not, how do you accuse the person speaking the truth of a sell out while those telling lies are seen as honorable? If we who are speaking the truth about zoning are sellouts, it also means that those telling lies have been bought over by those who want to be president by force.
WT: Some will argue that the South-South Unity Forum is Abuja-based without a strong presence in the Niger-Delta.
Murphy: No. That is not fair. Dr. Ikimi doesn’t live in Abuja though he has a home here. He is well known. Dr. Ambrose Akpanika is also well known. Majority of our people are modest people who don’t make noise or shout. I, for example, have a constituency back home. My father, late Chief Murphy, was the founder of the Calabar-Ogoja Movement, the first agitation that led to the creation of the region. He attended all the constitutional conferences both pre and post-colonial conferences. Most of us in the South-South Unity Forum are brand names politically and we don’t make noise about it because we are nice and courteous people. We are present at home but when we have meetings our delegates come to attend. Majority of our people support zoning and rotation.

http://www.weekly.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4647:jonathan-is-an-opportunist-ray-murphy&catid=41:news&Itemid=30
Re: Jonathan Is An Opportunist - Ray Murphy by slap1(m): 4:45pm On Nov 21, 2010
Isn't opportunism a part of politics?
Re: Jonathan Is An Opportunist - Ray Murphy by vigasimple(m): 7:34pm On Nov 21, 2010
If GEJ is an opportunist, then so be it on behalf of Southernern Nigeria and the progressive needs of all Nigerians.

The North are die hard opportunist and very selfish people. For 36 out of 50 years of nigerian Independence, they have always produce the President/Head of state.

If MKO Abiola has not been murdered by the insincere lot in the North, the South via SW will not have been President, and if power ever get back to the North, it ain't coming back to the South.

I am pretty sure that Ray Murphy has been paid to make noise on behalf of IBB and BORN TO RULE team of Ciroma.

I actually like the idea of zoning, but when the south spend the next 24years, the equation is balanced then we can rotate the power back to the North.

Yeye people for yey idea.
Re: Jonathan Is An Opportunist - Ray Murphy by semid4lyfe(m): 1:46am On Nov 22, 2010
Daily Trust. . .a newspaper with a ____________ agenda. Fill in the blank

Next please! tongue

(1) (Reply)

Gridlock In The Universities / 1 In Every 1,672 Internet Users Visits Nairaland.com Daily / Balarabe Musa Wants To Be Governor Again, 30 Years After Leaving Office

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.