Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,411 members, 7,812,220 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:14 AM

Find Your Unique Writing Voice - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Find Your Unique Writing Voice (526 Views)

How I Discover My Writing Voice Through Keeping A Journal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Find Your Unique Writing Voice by gracile(f): 11:38am On Nov 30, 2019
Hey guys, it’s been a minute (okay a few weeks technically) and I have missed you. For the record, it wasn’t deliberate. It’s been one helluva ‘break’ so let’s just call them unforeseen circumstances. Losing my phone and the delayed arrival of my laptop were definitely not planned but then, shit happens right? So I’m back yeah, got my acts together. Like I’ve made a list of interesting headlines we’ll be talking about for the next couple of weeks so sit back and let’s get into today’s topic already.

Growing up I had a lot of writers who I fancied. And when I read their books, I would subconsciously begin to talk, act and/or write like them. I remember that whenever I read James Hadley Chase I became uptight and a little too cautious. James Patterson on the other hand always influenced my sense of humor. I soon realized that just as no two persons are the same, no two writers write the same. And the most terrible if not the worst thing that could happen to a writer is to lose their uniqueness.

Now everyone appreciates unique right. Maybe it’s because everyone is unique – from our anatomical differences to our innate abilities, we are all, well, unique. But in a world where the quality of writing is fast deteriorating, a lot of writers have lost their unique writing voice. It’s sad.

When I pick a book or a write up, I want to be blown away. And I’m sure that’s the case for so many others. Especially with creative writing, the reader craves for original, natural, crazy, raw, humorous, fun etc. it’s why we (I) love Mark Manson and so many others. If it’s going to be worth our intention, then you better be interesting.

And here are 7 ways I think any writer can incorporate in retracing or finding their unique writing voice

Be yourself

There is nothing more unique than the cliched ‘Be yourself’ mantra (ignore the irony). The next thing you want to do after knowing yourself is to become it, in its fullness. Technically, that’s the best you can be. It’s fun. People only struggle with personality and acceptance issues because they aren’t being or haven’t loved being themselves.

Know your audience

Bear your readers in mind when writing. This makes it easy as you’ll know what your readers expect. You want to put yourself in their shoes. So next time you choose a headline to write on, ask yourself, “if I wanted to read something on this, what do I expect?”

Be Spontaneous

Okay rules are cool, but they suck too. I also find them limiting, and since writing is not speaking, it makes even more annoying to follow up on rules. I want to be conversational, I want to sound like I’m talking life to my readers. No sugar coating, cancelling, and all that chaos in my head. Then I must deal with punctuations and figures of shit and all that crap. Yea I think I just broke some of them. Noticed the many jargons in this point? Just write.

Let others read your work

This is important. Getting someone on the outside to read your work, gives you an idea of what your readers see or think about your write up. There is a reason we all (most of us) wanted someone to read our amazing write up when we first started.

Be your first fan

Most definitely sis (man, bro etc),love your write up and what you’re all about then others will follow. I’m my number one fan whatever the case. You shouldn’t be complacent, but you should give yourself some credit too.

Be versatile

Be known for something but don’t be limited. You’ll eventually narrow down to your favorite niche but don’t let that limit you. Imagine you ate say, rice everyday from the beginning of the year, you’d get bored eventually that’s if you even made it past the first 3 days.

Get crazy

Don’t be afraid of being crazy sometimes it’s like in the real world, the more loosened up you are the more fun you’ll have and the authentic you are perceived to be. James Patterson, one of my favorites is a good example of crazy, it’s probably why I’m always on the lookout for his novels.

I feel like most of the points highlighted are intertwined. But I know you got what I’m trying to say. The point is, uniqueness is in simply being authentic. Whether you’re the crazy, reserved, weird or natural, nerdy Just… be it �

Please subscribe to my blog for more juicy posts on book reviews, stories and all things literature. Link on signature

See ya �

2 Likes

Re: Find Your Unique Writing Voice by Elssa(f): 12:51pm On Nov 30, 2019
I didn’t know i could finish reading it but it was worth the read.
Nice one op

2 Likes

Re: Find Your Unique Writing Voice by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 3:30pm On Nov 30, 2019
Wow, Gracile! This is impressive.

1 Like

Re: Find Your Unique Writing Voice by Culin(f): 11:53pm On Dec 04, 2019
Thank you for this.

1 Like

Re: Find Your Unique Writing Voice by millieademi: 12:14am On Dec 05, 2019
I have six words for you gracile- thank you, thank you, thank you.

This was elucidating

1 Like

Re: Find Your Unique Writing Voice by gracile(f): 11:55pm On Dec 09, 2019
millieademi:
I have six words for you gracile- thank you, thank you, thank you.

This was elucidating

Wow Millie thank you too for reading I’m glad you loved it!

1 Like

Re: Find Your Unique Writing Voice by gracile(f): 11:57pm On Dec 09, 2019
Culin:
Thank you for this.

You’re welcome Culin (8

And thank you for reading
Re: Find Your Unique Writing Voice by gracile(f): 11:58pm On Dec 09, 2019
OluwabuqqyYOLO:
Wow, Gracile! This is impressive.

Oh dear Thronekid how I’ve missed you cry
Re: Find Your Unique Writing Voice by gracile(f): 11:59pm On Dec 09, 2019
Elssa:
I didn’t know i could finish reading it but it was worth the read.
Nice one op

Thanks Elssa and thanks for stopping by cheesy

(1) (Reply)

A Church Playlet Titled Awaiting Room / Oluronbi Story And Film / Shackles Of Love (A True Story of Love, Romance and Hatred)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.