Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,223 members, 7,818,764 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:10 AM

Ohanaeze Is Dead –ikoh, Community Leader - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ohanaeze Is Dead –ikoh, Community Leader (5866 Views)

Chibok Community Leader Thanks Jonathan For Sending Emissary / "Heart Attacks & Frustration Kill 7 Parents Of Chibok Girls" - Community Leader / Convoy Of Kwara's First-Lady Killed Lagos Community Leader- Saharareporters. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ohanaeze Is Dead –ikoh, Community Leader by houvest: 10:52pm On Nov 25, 2010
kcjazz:

And then he died,

Ohanaeze and strategic alliance for their pockets? As an organisation this Ohanaeze respect level is low even MASSOB is more respected. They are a paper tiger and don't represent Igbos. What has alliance done for the Igbos in previous elections? Could you enumerate

As every mortal will. But dont be deiceived he is very much alive through his legacy. It is the same divide and rulke policy all over again and the East just cant get it.
Re: Ohanaeze Is Dead –ikoh, Community Leader by AndreUweh(m): 11:14pm On Nov 25, 2010
kcjazz:

And then he died,

Ohanaeze and strategic alliance for their pockets? As an organisation this Ohanaeze respect level is low even MASSOB is more respected. They are a paper tiger and don't represent Igbos. What has alliance done for the Igbos in previous elections? Could you enumerate

MASSOB is different from Ohanaeze Ndi Igbo. They do dot have a common goal. Get this filled up in your little brain. Ohanaeze is the apex Igbo organisation and from time to time has been consulted by the govt to represent Igbo interest. In 1995, Ohanaeze represented Ndigbo at the National conference in Abuja, not your village union.
At the bolded, the emergence of Azikiwe as the president of Nigeria in 1960 was as a result of alliance. Even boys in secondary school govt or history class knows this. Was your education in Nigeria or in Congo?.
Re: Ohanaeze Is Dead –ikoh, Community Leader by AndreUweh(m): 11:20pm On Nov 25, 2010
Abagworo:

You seem to be diverging from the actual argument.You seem not to agree on a simple reasoning that Ohaneze made a hasty endorsement which even Ijaw Youth Council is yet to make.Do you think Ohaneze loves Jonathan more than Ijaw youths?

Now, that you mentioned the issue of zoning, I saw you on the television the other day I had an impression that you were not sold on this President Jonathan’s ambition for 2011,

I am not a bandwagon person. Majority of Ijaw people are not bandwagon people. We have foundations. Our foundation is Kaiama declaration. We want to pursue it with other nations. I think we can only allign with political parties or candidates that can take our interest into account. If Goodluck Jonathan because he is built around the Niger Delta is interested in the interest of the minorities and can accommodate the majorities along the lines of aspirations of Nigerians, why won’t we support him? We will support anybody who will give Nigerians fundamental freedom. If Jonathan uses the PDP, brings all the legislators and tell us that we are committed to the enthronement of a just and fair Nigeria, we will support that person. Any person that supports that, we will support. It is not about talking. You must before you get to that level begin to act on those things that we demand. I don’t even think we should proceed on an election when we have not restructured Nigeria because the presidency is a cage. When you get there, you are lost. They will use the army, the police and everything to cage you. The question is, will a Jonathan presidency deliver on the fundamental freedom and lives of Nigerians? If Goodluck Jonathan is that person, if we find him to be that person, we will support him. But if he does not show clearly and concretely in ways that will provide the confidence and the assurance that we need that he is that person we are looking for, I personally will lead the Ijaw nation and Ijaw people who I have influence over to say that that will not be a solution to our problem. We will just be putting people there who after four years or eight, will finish his tenure and they will say, you people you have eaten your share, you wait for other people to eat and it will take another 40 years before it gets to us again. Is that the type of thing we want?
Are you insinuating that GEJ will not get Ijaw votes?. Do not be deceived by what you read on the pages of newspapers. The Ijaw will vote for GEJ more than any other ethnic group in Nigeria.
People did not see ANY THING WRONG IN Obama's endorsements from various bodies even before he was nominated by his party. Why should it be wrong in the case of GEJ?.
Re: Ohanaeze Is Dead –ikoh, Community Leader by Abagworo(m): 11:27pm On Nov 25, 2010
Andre Uweh:

Are you insinuating that GEJ will not get Ijaw votes?. Do not be deceived by what you read on the pages of newspapers. The Ijaw will vote for GEJ more than any other ethnic group in Nigeria.
People did not see Obama's endorsements from various bodies even before he was nominated by his party. Why should it be wrong in the case of GEJ?.

The argument is over then since you have admitted Ohaneze's flaws.

And here is what I wrote

Do you think Ohaneze loves Jonathan more than Ijaw youths?
Re: Ohanaeze Is Dead –ikoh, Community Leader by AndreUweh(m): 11:31pm On Nov 25, 2010
^^^I meant to say that people did not see anything wrong in various bodies even endorsing Obama before he was picked by his party.
Re: Ohanaeze Is Dead –ikoh, Community Leader by kcjazz(m): 11:33pm On Nov 25, 2010
Andre Uweh:

MASSOB is different from Ohanaeze Ndi Igbo. They do dot have a common goal. Get this filled up in your little brain. Ohanaeze is the apex Igbo organisation and from time to time has been consulted by the govt to represent Igbo interest. In 1995, Ohanaeze represented Ndigbo at the National conference in Abuja, not your village union.
At the bolded, the emergence of Azikiwe as the president of Nigeria in 1960 was as a result of alliance. Even boys in secondary school govt or history class knows this. Was your education in Nigeria or in Congo?.

Thank you for your response.
I thought Ohanaeze started in 1976 and I wonder how their alliance helped in 1960. In my reference I used "this Ohaneaze" lacks respect and I stand on that. For the past ten years, (I would be recent not to push you) what has Ohaneaze done for the Onitsha- Owerri road?
Where was Ohaneaze when Andy Uba kidnapped a sitting governor?
Maybe at some point they were respected but now they are not. They have no business endorsing a candidate seeking a primary election. By doing that, they have admitted to be PDP members and I know the Igbos are not all PDPs.

What are the results of alliance? Igbo Presidency in 2015?
Re: Ohanaeze Is Dead –ikoh, Community Leader by vicenzo(m): 11:36pm On Nov 25, 2010
It is now obvious that most of these anti ohanaeze elements have personal grudge against ohanaeze just like mr ikoh,someone here calling uwaechue a non-igbo says it all.@abagworo.After all your arguement,you have come to what i have been saying,which is as follows.1 that ohanaeze only did the will of the people and did not act on its own,rather, made wide consultation with various igbo groups.2 that majority of igbo people in the streets of enugu,umuahia,aba,owerre,onitsha,awka,abakakaliki wants GEJ,an act which shows that ohanaeze really do know what ndi igbo wants.
Re: Ohanaeze Is Dead –ikoh, Community Leader by AndreUweh(m): 11:45pm On Nov 25, 2010
kcjazz:

Thank you for your response.
I thought Ohanaeze started in 1976 and I wonder how their alliance helped in 1960. In my reference I used "this Ohaneaze" lacks respect and I stand on that. For the past ten years, (I would be recent not to push you) what has Ohaneaze done for the Onitsha- Owerri road?
Where was Ohaneaze when Andy Uba kidnapped a sitting governor?
Maybe at some point they were respected but now they are not. They have no business endorsing a candidate seeking a primary election. By doing that, they have admitted to be PDP members and I know the Igbos are not all PDPs.

What are the results of alliance? Igbo Presidency in 2015?
Ohanaeze started in 1937 but was not known as Ohanaeze then but Igbo Union. @ the bolded,That question is not for Ohanaeze but for the security apparatus of the govt.
On Onitsha-Owerri Road, that is one of the sins of Obasanjo against Ndigbo.
Re: Ohanaeze Is Dead –ikoh, Community Leader by AndreUweh(m): 11:47pm On Nov 25, 2010
vicenzo:

It is now obvious that most of these anti ohanaeze elements have personal grudge against ohanaeze just like mr ikoh,someone here calling uwaechue a non-igbo says it all.@abagworo.After all your arguement,you have come to what i have been saying,which is as follows.1 that ohanaeze only did the will of the people and did not act on its own,rather, made wide consultation with various igbo groups.2 that majority of igbo people in the streets of enugu,umuahia,aba,owerre,onitsha,awka,abakakaliki wants GEJ,an act which shows that ohanaeze really do know what ndi igbo wants.
Thanks.
Re: Ohanaeze Is Dead –ikoh, Community Leader by kcjazz(m): 11:54pm On Nov 25, 2010
Andre Uweh:

Ohanaeze started in 1937 but was not known as Ohanaeze then but Igbo Union. @ the bolded,That question is not for Ohanaeze but for the security apparatus of the govt.
On Onitsha-Owerri Road, that is one of the sins of Obasanjo against Ndigbo.

As usual we never take responsibility. It has to be someone else from another tribe.
Re: Ohanaeze Is Dead –ikoh, Community Leader by asha80(m): 11:56pm On Nov 25, 2010
Like i said before

hmm the igbo replubican nature is excellent if the stay on their own or have their own country but in a nigerian state i am not too sure about that undecided
Re: Ohanaeze Is Dead –ikoh, Community Leader by Abagworo(m): 12:05am On Nov 26, 2010
vicenzo:

It is now obvious that most of these anti ohanaeze elements have personal grudge against ohanaeze just like  mr ikoh,someone here  calling uwaechue a non-igbo  says it all.@abagworo.After all your arguement,you have come to what i have been saying,which is as follows.1 that ohanaeze only did the will of the people and did not act on its own,rather, made wide  consultation with various igbo groups.2 that majority of igbo people in the streets of enugu,umuahia,aba,owerre,onitsha,awka,abakakaliki wants GEJ,an act which shows that ohanaeze really do know what ndi igbo wants.

I have not noticed any anti-Ohaneze element.Rather I noticed disagreement with Ohaneze's hasty endorsement.I posted Ijaw youth chairman's official statement for a reason.Maybe I should break it down for you because you are not brainy enough to comprehend.

Ijaws support Jonathan more than Igbos but knowing how stupid it is to openly play ethnic politics,the young man made a very wise statement.I know how hard that young man is working for GEJ but he did not come out to speak on behalf of Ijaws that they have adopted GEJ.

I am not a bandwagon person. Majority of Ijaw people are not bandwagon people. We have foundations. Our foundation is Kaiama declaration. We want to pursue it with other nations. I think we can only allign with political parties or candidates that can take our interest into account. If Goodluck Jonathan because he is built around the Niger Delta is interested in the interest of the minorities and can accommodate the majorities along the lines of aspirations of Nigerians, why won’t we support him? We will support anybody who will give Nigerians fundamental freedom. If Jonathan uses the PDP, brings all the legislators and tell us that we are committed to the enthronement of a just and fair Nigeria, we will support that person. Any person that supports that, we will support. It is not about talking. You must before you get to that level begin to act on those things that we demand. I don’t even think we should proceed on an election when we have not restructured Nigeria because the presidency is a cage. When you get there, you are lost. They will use the army, the police and everything to cage you. The question is, will a Jonathan presidency deliver on the fundamental freedom and lives of Nigerians? If Goodluck Jonathan is that person, if we find him to be that person, we will support him. But if he does not show clearly and concretely in ways that will provide the confidence and the assurance that we need that he is that person we are looking for, I personally will lead the Ijaw nation and Ijaw people who I have influence over to say that that will not be a solution to our problem.
Re: Ohanaeze Is Dead –ikoh, Community Leader by jason12345: 12:08am On Nov 26, 2010
kcjazz:

As usual we never take responsibility. It has to be someone else from another tribe.

GBAM!!! thank you for noticing.

as i said before, igbos are known for their truthful nature.

. . . . .  .and the drama continues.

for ohanaeze to endorse someone, can't you all see the wider ramifications undecided. pls, give it a thought undecided
Re: Ohanaeze Is Dead –ikoh, Community Leader by jason12345: 12:12am On Nov 26, 2010
as i said before,

the decision was either "forwardness" or a bribery based decision! because if you give it a thought, you will notice that it gives does not give the igbos any comparative advantage infact it poses a disadvantage to the igbos since it is viewed as an "ethnic" endorsement.
Re: Ohanaeze Is Dead –ikoh, Community Leader by Abagworo(m): 12:15am On Nov 26, 2010
Let me now modify this young Ijaw Youths Movement president's statement from Ohaneze point of view so that Andre and co will understand what I have been arguing about.

I[b] am not a bandwagon person. Majority of Igbo people are not bandwagon people[/b]. We have foundations. Our foundation is justice and equity. We want to pursue it with other nations. I think we can only allign with political parties or candidates that can take our interest into account. If Goodluck Jonathan because he is built around the East is interested in the interest of the Igbo and can accommodate the majority and minority along the lines of aspirations of Nigerians, why won’t we support him? We will support anybody who will give Nigerians fundamental freedom. If Jonathan uses the PDP, brings all the legislators and tell us that we are committed to the enthronement of a just and fair Nigeria, we will support that person. Any person that supports that, we will support. It is not about talking. You must before you get to that level begin to act on those things that we demand. I don’t even think we should proceed on an election when we have not restructured Nigeria because the presidency is a cage. When you get there, you are lost. They will use the army, the police and everything to cage you. The question is, will a Jonathan presidency deliver on the fundamental freedom and lives of Nigerians? If Goodluck Jonathan is that person, if we find him to be that person, we will support him. But if he does not show clearly and concretely in ways that will provide the confidence and the assurance that we need that he is that person we are looking for, I personally will lead the Igbo nation and Igbo people who I have influence over to say that that will not be a solution to our problem.
Re: Ohanaeze Is Dead –ikoh, Community Leader by vicenzo(m): 12:21am On Nov 26, 2010
@1024.Ken nnamani was once a senate president but he couldnt do a single project in his amechi awkunanaw hometown,he dosnt care about his people,how can such a man represent ndi igbo.Jim nwobodo betrayed ekwueme,ekwueme's most lasting legacy in the east is modotel which is built in every nook and cranny,ekwueme was ditched by the north when he aspired for the no 1 position,but today he is willing to lick the aboki's backside just to have a say on who should be the vp.Go and tell these politicians that ndi igbo's future will not be sacrificed on the alter of their greed.
Re: Ohanaeze Is Dead –ikoh, Community Leader by jason12345: 12:25am On Nov 26, 2010
vicenzo:

@1024[b].Ken nnamani was once a senate president but he couldnt do a single project in his amechi awkunanaw hometown[/b],he dosnt care about his people,how can such a man represent ndi igbo.Jim nwobodo betrayed ekwueme,ekwueme's most lasting legacy in the east is modotel which is built in every nook and cranny,ekwueme was ditched by the north when he aspired for the no 1 position,but today he is willing to lick the aboki's backside just to have a say on who should be the vp.Go and tell these politicians that ndi igbo's future will not be sacrificed on the alter of their greed.

do senators implement projects in nigeria now? i thought they were lawmakers and people that approve of national projects. lol
Re: Ohanaeze Is Dead –ikoh, Community Leader by kcjazz(m): 12:27am On Nov 26, 2010
Andre Uweh:

^^^I meant to say that people did not see anything wrong in various bodies even endorsing Obama before he was picked by his party.

Here is the issue
Ebonyi - PDP
Anambra- APGA
Abia - APGA
Imo - PPA (later PDP)
Enugu - PDP

In answer to your comments above, Obama is a democrat. The National Rifle Association of America (powerful gun association/lobbying group) has always voted Republican, it would be foolish to have them endorse a democrat during a primary. Organisations vote along party lines to protect their interests and if they have to endorse a candidate during a primary then that means they are members of that party.
I listed the states above to show the maths, the SE is not PDP, why is an umbrella body endorsing a candidate during a primary? Just doesn't make sense. Maybe a little patience until primaries are over before making declarations would help.
Re: Ohanaeze Is Dead –ikoh, Community Leader by asha80(m): 12:37am On Nov 26, 2010
kcjazz:

Here is the issue
Ebonyi - PDP
Anambra- APGA
[b]Abia - APGA[/b]Imo - PPA (later PDP)
Enugu - PDP

In answer to your comments above, Obama is a democrat. The National Rifle Association of America (powerful gun association/lobbying group) has always voted Republican, it would be foolish to have them endorse a democrat during a primary. Organisations vote along party lines to protect their interests and if they have to endorse a candidate during a primary then that means they are members of that party.
I listed the states above to show the maths, the SE is not PDP, why is an umbrella body endorsing a candidate during a primary? Just doesn't make sense. Maybe a little patience until primaries are over before making declarations would help.

when did abia become apga?
Re: Ohanaeze Is Dead –ikoh, Community Leader by Abagworo(m): 12:52am On Nov 26, 2010
Abia is PPA APGA PDP
Re: Ohanaeze Is Dead –ikoh, Community Leader by kcjazz(m): 12:56am On Nov 26, 2010
asha 80:

when did abia become apga?

They change so much, I can't keep up grin
Re: Ohanaeze Is Dead –ikoh, Community Leader by asha80(m): 12:58am On Nov 26, 2010
kcjazz:

They change so much, I can't keep up grin

More like theodore orji is the one doing the changing.
Re: Ohanaeze Is Dead –ikoh, Community Leader by Ibime(m): 1:10am On Nov 26, 2010
A house divided against itslef cannot stand.

But if we are being honest, the only divisor in this issue is money. Some have taken money to speak for one side, whilst some have taken money to speak for the other, and the common masses are here fretting about it although no one ever consulted them

That said, Ohanaeze should not have taken a political stand, much less for a party which has nothing to offer. Ohanaeze is simply suppused to be a socio-cultural group, and a pressure group. The gentleman is right when he accuses Ohanaeze of not holding govt to account over issues such as River Niger Bridge, Federal roads, kidnapping etc. Ohanaeze therefore has little political capital left to spend since it has not fulfilled its primary function.
Re: Ohanaeze Is Dead –ikoh, Community Leader by 1025: 12:02pm On Nov 26, 2010

@andrew,
did u say azikiwe, pressidency was as a result of alliance? if any alliance can produce a rubber stamp president which was exactly what azikiwe was.
if we have ohanaeze that was this active, how come they(ohanaeze) was unable to resolved the issue between jim nwobodo and alex ekwueme?
if this ohanaeze cld not present a single igbo candidate in 1999, how and why are they endorsing one now that no igboman is in the run for pdp?
is this ohanaeze ndigbo about pdp or abt nigeria?
who are the other candidates for this presidential race?
what are the conditions for ohanaeze to support an outsider when an igboman is in the race?
is this ohanaeze ndigbo or ohanaeze ndinigeria?

@1024.Ken nnamani was once a senate president but he couldnt do a single project in his amechi awkunanaw hometown,he dosnt care about his people,how can such a man represent ndi igbo.Jim nwobodo betrayed ekwueme,ekwueme's most lasting legacy in the east is modotel which is built in every nook and cranny,ekwueme was ditched by the north when he aspired for the no 1 position,but today he is willing to lick the aboki's backside just to have a say on who should be the vp.Go and tell these politicians that ndi igbo's future will not be sacrificed on the alter of their greed.
@vicenzo,
what did obasanjo do for his ppl? what has jonathan done for his ppl?
has uwaechue done enough to speak for us or making our decissions for us.
the key issue here is that ohanaeze did not do well in endorsing any one at this stage. is not abt jonathan or anyone.
there can never be any active ohanaeze ndigbo without settling all the factions and offended parties. unity is the name of the game.
Re: Ohanaeze Is Dead –ikoh, Community Leader by AndreUweh(m): 12:14pm On Nov 26, 2010
Ibime:

But if we are being honest, the only divisor in this issue is money. Some have taken money to speak for one side, whilst some have taken money to speak for the other, and the common masses are here fretting about it although no one ever consulted them

That said, Ohanaeze should not have taken a political stand, much less for a party which has nothing to offer. Ohanaeze is simply suppused to be a socio-cultural group, and a pressure group. The gentleman is right when he accuses Ohanaeze of not holding govt to account over issues such as River Niger Bridge, Federal roads, kidnapping etc. Ohanaeze therefore has little political capital left to spend since it has not fulfilled its primary function.
It is not about money,there is no amount of money that can buy over Ohanaeze and over 50 branches worldwide. Ohanaeze(No 7 Park Avenue) consulted wide enough and gave to Ndigbo what was already known to them as they requested.
Ohanaeze as a socio-cultural group looks into the every aspect of Igboman's life including politics.
On River Niger and other infrastructures, Obasanjo is to be blamed for his unkept pledges to Ohanaeze.
The state security outfit failed the Igbo nation on constant kidnappings in Igboland.
Re: Ohanaeze Is Dead –ikoh, Community Leader by houvest: 12:21pm On Nov 26, 2010
Ibime:

And You were the treasurer that issued them the cheques. I always saw you as reputable. Making wild accusations of distinguished Igbo leaders based on assumptions discredits you as a person. How much will they use to bribe Ohaneze worldwide or folks like Ekwueme, Ojukwu, Soludo, Nnamani , etc. Argue issues like the once you highlighted and not conjectures . Let us keep weighting the balance of sanity on NL towards the positive. Let the pigs keep operating inside the gutter. My two kobo.
Re: Ohanaeze Is Dead –ikoh, Community Leader by Abagworo(m): 1:35pm On Nov 26, 2010
If APGA had Merged with PPA to form APPA,we Igbos would have had a party of Southeast but PPA has been crushed and APGA lacks the mechanism to spread across the SE.A political party can adopt a candidate of their choice without raising much dust.ACN is gradually taking back SW from OBJ's grip which he used maradonic skills to bring them to their knees in 2003.Now PDP shall surely lose SW in 2011.
Re: Ohanaeze Is Dead –ikoh, Community Leader by Ibime(m): 2:10pm On Nov 26, 2010
@ Houvest,

I don't need a soothsayer to reveal that money has exchanged hands. This is the way of Nigerian politics and nobody involving themselves in PDP politics is above it.

Why would someone make a unilateral decision, then backtrack to consult the Imeobi after already making Ohanaezes position clear. That's like putting the cart before the horse. My experience of Nigerian politics tells me that Uwueche was settled, then Imeobi demanded their share, and I make bold to say so without bias or tribal sensitivity.

Now I will ask you, whether the Ciroma consensus was a "settled" affair or not. Do you not think IBB, Gusau, Saraki and Atiku hadn't long planned it? Ciroma was simply chosen to lead the public on a merry dance.
Re: Ohanaeze Is Dead –ikoh, Community Leader by houvest: 5:06pm On Nov 26, 2010
The SW never went to PDP. They were rigged over. SW will always be under AC/AD/UPN/AG. APGA was on a roller coaster to liberate the SE from PDP but the short-sightedness that is being replayed now in this quest to have an Igboman as vice president next year by all means helped  crush APGA. Chekwas was accused of mismanagement and instead of harvesting his ideas of a pan-Igbo party and diplomatically resolving the issues, APGA was reduced by Umeh to an Anambra party. Its 1999 clout that swept the SE was removed and Obi managed with the help of Ikemba to keep APGA alive as a one state party. PPA tried to come on board as a replacement for APGA but the endemic and intrinsic selfishness of the demagogue Orji Kalu, made PPA to be DOA-  dead on arrival. After Obi and Ikemba in Anambra and OUK in Abia, PDP will roam freelly in Igboland unfettered. The SE must rediscover itself afresh and redefine her politics. The politics of alliance with the North as second fiddlers has left the SE impoverished, marginalized, directionless,etc.

After the war, fastforward to 1978/79 Zik tried to use NPP as the NCNC before her to reunite, rediscover and reposition Ndigbo on their own before interfacing with the larger Nigeria. He was largely successful in that the then 2 Igbo states were governed by NPP. The then 3 other eastern states  went over to NPN as a result of the erosion of Ziks influence because of the Eyo Ita saga that gave Zik's opponents  a large political capital in propaganda by portraying Zik and Ndigbo as domineering and selfish used powerfuilly before, during and after the civil war  to erode fillial bonds between the Igbo and her minority neighbours and also the Adaka Boro -led Ijaw nationalism. However NPP came second in those states behind NPN as well as Lagos and I think Bendel state behind UPN. At the national level, NPP came third  numerically behind NPN and UPN but still came second in National spread having secured Plateau state and came second also in Benue state beating UPN that secured the then five LOOBO states to the third position in National spread . While UPN secured states only in the West, NPP secured states both in the East and North while NPN got states in all the Zones and won the elections securing  25% in the  controversial 12 I/3 states out of the then 19 states of the federation.

Coming out just from the ashes of the war Zik, inspite of the presence of prominent Igbo sons like Ekwueme, Onoh, KO, Okadigbo and later Ikemba, in NPN and all the other 4 political parties parading Igbo vice presidential candidates, was able to get Ndigbo together to keep their own states and yet make inroads into others. Granted his performance dropped below that of the NCNC days but it is quite understandable considering the volume of water that had passed under the bridge.
Unfortunately the NPN's vaulting ambition to sweep all states in 1983 led to the politics of earthquakes and landslides and ultimately brought back the khakhi boys, truncating the 2nd Republic and Igbo political revivalism.  During that interlude Zik and his natural successors in the person of RBK and Sam Mbakwe died.  His shoes were too big to be filled by the remaining ones. Nwobodo one of the living ones among them could not perpetuate his dynasty and reap the legacy of bonds created by Zik all over the Nation for Ndigbo like friends in the SW in the persons of Ogunsanya and Benson, in the middlebelt in the persons of Lar, Unongo, etc and in the  South south and far North  and this left Ziks political family in more or less a political wilderness, the same fears Achebe had expressed in his  political essay 'the problem with Nigeria.'

I think the emergence of Ohaneze was in those halcyon days of the second republic politics and I think the founders were  Igbo Inteligentia who wanted to craft for the Igbo a leadership closer to Igbo republicanism and away from a  leadership that was  reposed in one man- Zik . So at the onset, Ohaneze was seen as anti -Zik and pro NPN and was not quickly embraced by Ziks political sons. I stand to be corrected though. However with the decimation of Ziks dynasty, the wisdom of Ohaneze founders has been proved.
Igbo leadership now rested sqaurely on Ohaneze. However with the help of hindsight I think that Ohaneze was not really prepared for the responsibilities that was coming on her and operated a laid back leadership which did not really beneffit Ndigbo appropriately.
Political leadership still went to individuals with Alex ekwueme alternating with the Ikemba now and then. This laidback leadership by Ohaneze created a vaccum which the 5 Igbo governors have exploited and arrogated to themselves the defacto leaders of Igboland even though they are not recognised as such by the larger igbo society. Ordinarily this would not have been a problem  if these were reputable, wise, dynamic, charismatic and upright men after all Tinubu emerged as a Yoruba leader from his activities in NADECO and governorship of Lagos State. Some of them have questionable backgrounds and only about half of them were actually elected by the people so the moral grounds for them to claim Igbo leadership are wanting.  Moreover the performance of some of them in governance leaves a lot to be desired.

Ekwueme is sold to his loyalty to the North and his pan-Nigeria views while Ikemba is encumbered by history to really be the political leader to take Ndigbo out of wilderness. Besides they are both getting on in years and should by now be playing the role of Don Corleone to Mike in his later years ie consiglere (advisory). Udenwa, Egwu, ken Nnamani, Anyim, Soludo,etc are all potential Igbo leaders but can they bestride the Nation like a colossus the way Zik did? I think perhaps, some of them will when they fully mature but for now I think Ohaneze should be fully empowered into a strong leadership force for Ndigbo with full powers of sanction.

1/ Ohaneze should establish a political wing or perhaps adopt APGA and gradually nurture it back to life and position it for the coming elections at the state levels.
2/Using their endorsement for Jonathan  as a launching pad they should rebuild  Igbo relations with their South south neighbhours exploiting to the fullest the advantages of  pre-Independence history, proximity and fillial bonds thereby ensuring a zonal integration that will enable them to launch out full force in 2015 and beyond to capture power at the centre.
3/ Ohaneze should try as much as possible to bring back dissident members into the group using their power of sanctions where necessary.
5/ Ohaneze should establish mechanisms to monitor the Local and state governments in Igboland and also Federal govt activities there.
6/Ohaneze should impress on Town Unions on revival of Igbo moral  values and curbing social menaces that lead to crime and even misdeameanors.
7/ Ohaneze should link up with WIC (World Igbo Congress) on the implementation of the WIC Economic blueprint for  Igboland.
8/  ohaneze should play a big brother role in the SE and SS in reconciling feuding communities like those fighting in Ebonyi now, Ijaw/ itsekiri, Urhobo/ Itsekiri, Ikwerre/others, Ika/ others etc,
9/ Ohaneze should try and collaborate at the National level with other regional groups to forge National unity and break deadlocks and also lobby them on their agenda for an Igbo presidency not just by shouting it in the pages of Newspapers.

Other suggestions are welcome.
Re: Ohanaeze Is Dead –ikoh, Community Leader by houvest: 5:10pm On Nov 26, 2010
Ibime:

@ Houvest,

I don't need a soothsayer to reveal that money has exchanged hands. This is the way of Nigerian politics and nobody involving themselves in PDP politics is above it.

Why would someone make a unilateral decision, then backtrack to consult the Imeobi after already making Ohanaezes position clear. That's like putting the cart before the horse. My experience of Nigerian politics tells me that Uwueche was settled, then Imeobi demanded their share, and I make bold to say so without bias or tribal sensitivity.

Now I will ask you, whether the Ciroma consensus was a "settled" affair or not. Do you not think IBB, Gusau, Saraki and Atiku hadn't long planned it? Ciroma was simply chosen to lead the public on a merry dance.

OMG Ibime my apologies. I wrongly held you in high esteem. You can continue with your hypotheses based on conjectures. I deal with facts and proofs. My apologies once again.
Re: Ohanaeze Is Dead –ikoh, Community Leader by AndreUweh(m): 5:26pm On Nov 26, 2010
Ibime:

@ Houvest,

Please count money out, Uwawchue is made already and is even richer than GEJ. Others are also rich. Engr Isaac Mahonwu is from your state and you should know him better. How about settling over 50 branches of Ohanaeze worldwide, is that possible.
Before Amb Uwaechue released his statement, a deal had been struck already. The Ime Obi only met to ractify what has already been agreed upon.
Re: Ohanaeze Is Dead –ikoh, Community Leader by ChinenyeN(m): 5:26pm On Nov 26, 2010
houvest:

but for now I think Ohaneze [/b]should [b]be fully empowered into a strong leadership force for Ndigbo with full powers of sanction.
I disagree completely. Although, if you pay attention, you'll realize that this is exactly the kind of nonsense Ohanaeze is trying to pull off.

houvest:

1/ Ohaneze should establish a political wing or perhaps adopt APGA and gradually nurture it back to life and position it for the coming elections at the state levels.
2/Using their endorsement for Jonathan  as a launching pad they should rebuild  Igbo relations with their South south neighbhours exploiting to the fullest the advantages of  pre-Independence history, proximity and fillial bonds thereby ensuring a zonal integration that will enable them to launch out full force in 2015 and beyond to capture power at the centre.
3/ Ohaneze should try as much as possible to bring back dissident members into the group using their power of sanctions where necessary.
5/ Ohaneze should establish mechanisms to monitor the Local and state governments in Igboland and also Federal govt activities there.
6/Ohaneze should impress on Town Unions on revival of Igbo moral  values and curbing social menaces that lead to crime and even misdeameanors.
7/ Ohaneze should link up with WIC (World Igbo Congress) on the implementation of the WIC Economic blueprint for  Igboland.
8/  ohaneze should play a big brother role in the SE and SS in reconciling feuding communities like those fighting in Ebonyi now, Ijaw/ itsekiri, Urhobo/ Itsekiri, Ikwerre/others, Ika/ others etc,
9/ Ohaneze should try and collaborate at the National level with other regional groups to forge National unity and break deadlocks and also lobby them on their agenda for an Igbo presidency not just by shouting it in the pages of Newspapers.
The bolded is what I long since suggested, except for it being established by Ohanaeze. It is in our best interest to not affiliate the two as part and parcel of each other.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Man "Breaks The Internet" After Being Spotted In A Nightclub In This Attire. PIC / Does Tinubu Actually Believe He Or Any Other Yoruba Will Become President? / Son Of Chadian President Is At The War Front, Where Is Yusuf Buhari?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.