Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,312 members, 7,815,566 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:38 PM

Anthony Joshua Reveals Health Issue Before His First Fight With Ruiz. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Anthony Joshua Reveals Health Issue Before His First Fight With Ruiz. (50681 Views)

Andy Ruiz In New Shape For First Fight Since Anthony Joshua Loss (Photos) / Anthony Joshua Loses to Andy Ruiz Jr. Knocked Out In The 7th Round (Pics) / Anthony Joshua Vs Andy Ruiz Jr: Live At Madison Square Garden (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anthony Joshua Reveals Health Issue Before His First Fight With Ruiz. by Lombardi: 1:25am On Dec 09, 2019
Unified world heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua said a health issue left him "tired" and "drained" in the build-up to his June defeat by Andy Ruiz Jr.

Joshua, 30, reclaimed his world titles in Saudi Arabia on Saturday, dominating the Mexican over 12 rounds.

Conspiracy theories had circulated after his initial defeat, one of the biggest shocks in heavyweight history.

"I had some issue with my health which I was going through for a long time," Joshua told the 5 Live Boxing podcast.

The Briton added: "I didn't know what was wrong with me. I felt so tired and drained and thought it must be down to training.

"In the changing room before the fight I got a bucket of ice and was putting my head in it thinking 'why do I feel so tired?'

5 live boxing podcast: AJ the morning after and final thoughts from Saudi Arabia
Joshua's victory in pictures
How social media reacted to Joshua's win
Mike Costello's commentary of Joshua's winning moment
"The responsibilities of being world champion are difficult. All that stuff, feeling so tired, dealing with obligations.

"Now I have energy, I haven't missed a session."

He added: "After my check-ups it showed what the problem was and this is what you have to get sorted.

"Even in this camp I had an operation done but as I'd started training in June I had no issues."

Joshua refused to say what the operation was but it is understood the procedure he had was linked to the issue diagnosed after his defeat by Ruiz.

Joshua opens up at last
Joshua had hinted previously that he had something to reveal about what went on before his first career defeat and, after initial hesitation, provided at least some insight to the 5 Live Boxing podcast.

Joshua 'emotional' after regaining heavyweight world titles
'With the fear of humiliation came Joshua's best display'
Theories aired in the interim had ranged form him having shown the effects of being concussed in sparring to having a seizure before the bout at Madison Square Garden.

He now says he feels "back" and "focused".

The two-time world heavyweight champion also said he learned a valuable lesson not to accept opponents at short notice - Ruiz was drafted in six weeks before their fight after American Jarrell Miller failed three drug tests.

Joshua, who will return to the UK in the early hours of Monday morning with the IBF, WBA and WBO belts, was on the front of Sunday's Saudi newspapers, alongside Crown Prince Mohammad Bin Salman, who attended his fight.

Despite widespread criticism of staging the bout in a country criticised for its human rights record, Joshua said he would "100%" be happy to return to the kingdom on holiday or to perform.

'All challengers are welcome'
Joshua is now expected to face either the WBO's mandatory challenger - currently Ukraine's Oleksandr Usyk - or the man in the same position with the IBF, Bulgarian Kubrat Pulev.

He said he was no longer interested in calling out WBC champion Deontay Wilder for a historic bout with all four world heavyweight titles on the line.

I was overweight, says Ruiz
Listen: Highlights of Ruiz-Joshua fight
Chasing a contest with compatriot Tyson Fury was also dismissed as Joshua said he hoped to focus on one "hurdle" at a time.

"Looking so far ahead it can be a blurry vision looking that far out," Joshua told BBC Sport.

"Sooner or later I will be looking directly at the undisputed championship of the world.

"If the opportunity presents itself I will fight Wilder and Fury. Wilder has a fight with Fury in February. Once that is out of the way they can start mentioning my name.

"I can't keep on fighting all the champions, the best in the division and then other people who say they want to step up don't step up.

"All challengers are welcome to take on this current unified champion."

Joshua said to defend his belts "on home soil would be big news" after promoter Eddie Hearn revealed he had been in discussions over a fight at Tottenham's new 60,000-capacity stadium, most likely against Pulev.

"It would be mega," Joshua added. "Looking at how many people came out here shows there is still a big interest in the heavyweight division, especially now we are taking the belts back.

"Sometimes it would be better against a Brit, but if not I follow the mandatories and defend them that way."

Source:https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/50704532

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Anthony Joshua Reveals Health Issue Before His First Fight With Ruiz. by kponkedenge(m): 5:01am On Dec 09, 2019
Congratulations. The most important thing is winning. That's all that matters.

81 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Anthony Joshua Reveals Health Issue Before His First Fight With Ruiz. by livebyday(m): 5:01am On Dec 09, 2019
grin cheesy grin

This man can pander .. you won on points hush up already

A win is a win.. yeah it cost me money but that's life let's all move on..

No one really cares if you didn't knock him out the fact is you won

Leave the sob stories for ELLEN or Straight Talk show

Right here we have a government who has incarcerated SOWORE for no just cause after telling his aide Lauretta to come online and tell us SOWORE staged his own arrest, only later to have DSS confirm they arrested him after the same DSS first claimed it was SOWORE and his supporters who took him

So forgive me if at this point I don't care if you had the flu and that's why you didn't knock out Ruiz

Geez!!

88 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Anthony Joshua Reveals Health Issue Before His First Fight With Ruiz. by DenreleDave(m): 5:02am On Dec 09, 2019
Any job within lagos Pls.... Pls quote me if any... Yet to serve though..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anthony Joshua Reveals Health Issue Before His First Fight With Ruiz. by Nobody: 5:03am On Dec 09, 2019
when youre trying to explain to your mum why you got second position the last time

38 Likes

Re: Anthony Joshua Reveals Health Issue Before His First Fight With Ruiz. by Meti99(m): 5:03am On Dec 09, 2019
Truly, success has many friends. Nobody love failure

9 Likes

Re: Anthony Joshua Reveals Health Issue Before His First Fight With Ruiz. by Blessedity(m): 5:03am On Dec 09, 2019
Victory at Last

congratulations AJ

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Anthony Joshua Reveals Health Issue Before His First Fight With Ruiz. by Yankiss(m): 5:04am On Dec 09, 2019
AJ"s home soil is UK and Nigerians won't let us rest. Anyways, I like the young chap. He should please take it easy with DJ Cuppy's Puna. That one is not heavy weight bout grin grin shocked

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Anthony Joshua Reveals Health Issue Before His First Fight With Ruiz. by adexllyz: 5:05am On Dec 09, 2019
Aj
Re: Anthony Joshua Reveals Health Issue Before His First Fight With Ruiz. by akilo1: 5:05am On Dec 09, 2019
Congrats, i knew it that the june fight was not real joshau , children of hate oya make una come ooo food don ready

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anthony Joshua Reveals Health Issue Before His First Fight With Ruiz. by andrew12(m): 5:05am On Dec 09, 2019
lol make we hear Naija wid excuse after loosing the thing dey trait forget (gbagbey)
Re: Anthony Joshua Reveals Health Issue Before His First Fight With Ruiz. by Mendula35(m): 5:06am On Dec 09, 2019
Great!
Re: Anthony Joshua Reveals Health Issue Before His First Fight With Ruiz. by RPirez: 5:07am On Dec 09, 2019
cool
Re: Anthony Joshua Reveals Health Issue Before His First Fight With Ruiz. by mimilogs: 5:08am On Dec 09, 2019
Our champ, we are proud of you, even though we expected a knock out cool

8 Likes

Re: Anthony Joshua Reveals Health Issue Before His First Fight With Ruiz. by chronique(m): 5:08am On Dec 09, 2019
Good one. A lot of pundits thought he couldn't do it but he provided a technical masterpiece by outboxing Andy Ruiz for 12 rounds and showing good body movements round the ring. Dude has done us proud.

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Anthony Joshua Reveals Health Issue Before His First Fight With Ruiz. by Praktikals(m): 5:10am On Dec 09, 2019
grin
Re: Anthony Joshua Reveals Health Issue Before His First Fight With Ruiz. by Ernerstdavid55(m): 5:10am On Dec 09, 2019
kponkedenge:
Congratulations. The most important thing is winning. That's all that matters.
winning is not all dat matters alaye

2 Likes

Re: Anthony Joshua Reveals Health Issue Before His First Fight With Ruiz. by EniHolar(f): 5:11am On Dec 09, 2019
Every loser has a complaint.

3 Likes

Re: Anthony Joshua Reveals Health Issue Before His First Fight With Ruiz. by snoopanddre(m): 5:12am On Dec 09, 2019
Congrats once again. Hoping to hear more of ur success stories in d nearest and farthest future. Amen!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Anthony Joshua Reveals Health Issue Before His First Fight With Ruiz. by midolian(m): 5:12am On Dec 09, 2019
Now the health issue is gone and you couldn't give the fat boy a KO..

Abeg enjoy your gelato in peace. Don't infuriate some of us

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anthony Joshua Reveals Health Issue Before His First Fight With Ruiz. by Xisnin(m): 5:12am On Dec 09, 2019
livebyday:
grin cheesy grin

This man can pander .. you won on points hush up already

A win is a win.. yeah it cost me money but that's life let's all move on..

No one really cares if you didn't knock him out the fact is you won

Leave the sob stories for ELLEN or Straight Talk show

Right here we have a government who has incarcerated SOWORE for no just cause after telling his aide Lauretta to come online and tell us SOWORE staged his own arrest, only later to have DSS confirm they arrested him after the same DSS first claimed it was SOWORE and his supporters who took him

So forgive me if at this point I don't care if you had the flu and that's why you didn't knock out Ruiz

Geez!!
You can't read.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Anthony Joshua Reveals Health Issue Before His First Fight With Ruiz. by Romanoff(f): 5:13am On Dec 09, 2019
For the first time on this forum, I read a long post word for word.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anthony Joshua Reveals Health Issue Before His First Fight With Ruiz. by voskia: 5:13am On Dec 09, 2019
mybe you should try out tyson fury.. it
would definately be a great match up.. but u go likely collect beating sha..
Re: Anthony Joshua Reveals Health Issue Before His First Fight With Ruiz. by therajah: 5:15am On Dec 09, 2019
Hmn DJ cuppy cuppy! Baaaad girl!! You made AJ tired!! I salute you.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anthony Joshua Reveals Health Issue Before His First Fight With Ruiz. by DonFreshmoney(m): 5:15am On Dec 09, 2019
I believe you joor AJ... eff those who doubt u

1 Like

Re: Anthony Joshua Reveals Health Issue Before His First Fight With Ruiz. by abbaapple: 5:15am On Dec 09, 2019
angry

Please where is Cuppy

2 Likes

Re: Anthony Joshua Reveals Health Issue Before His First Fight With Ruiz. by dfrost: 5:15am On Dec 09, 2019
shocked
Re: Anthony Joshua Reveals Health Issue Before His First Fight With Ruiz. by ednut1(m): 5:16am On Dec 09, 2019
He can be sued for saying this. Why not postpone the fight then. Fury or wilder next. Lets see
Re: Anthony Joshua Reveals Health Issue Before His First Fight With Ruiz. by Edu3Again: 5:19am On Dec 09, 2019
Excuse
Re: Anthony Joshua Reveals Health Issue Before His First Fight With Ruiz. by VivaDeAngelo(m): 5:19am On Dec 09, 2019
Why are we hearing this now? You waited to win so can spew this nonsense. What happened to staying humble and hungry? Abeg enjoy your victory in peace but avoid Wilder and Fury, you are not in the same league with these guys.

6 Likes

Re: Anthony Joshua Reveals Health Issue Before His First Fight With Ruiz. by englishmart(m): 5:20am On Dec 09, 2019
He might match Wilder but Fury? I doubt

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Anthony Joshua Reveals Health Issue Before His First Fight With Ruiz. by GEOANDSONS: 5:22am On Dec 09, 2019
Congratulations A.J

Collect Wilder Belt, then face Fury.

Home & Office Furnitures available

Nationwide delivery

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Moment I Realised Lionel Messi Was ‘Not Normal’ – Thierry Henry Reveals / Idah Peterside Welcomes Baby After 10 Years Of Marriage. Photo / Olanrewaju Kayode And His Wife, Ezinne Dora Kayode & Kids (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.