Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,117 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:37 AM

Is Zoning Holding Nigeria Back? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Zoning Holding Nigeria Back? (4632 Views)

Three Bad Things Holding Nigeria From Developing / How The Clueless One Defeated All The Political Dragons Holding Nigeria Hostage / Breaking News!!! US Gov Re-admits Nigeria Back Into The Diversity Visa Lottery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Zoning Holding Nigeria Back? by sillyme(f): 9:22pm On Nov 25, 2010
A recent piece in the Economist highlights the system of zoning, that Nigeria employs to alternate power between the north and south of the country. In the Economist’s words: “Candidates are picked alternatively from north and south behind closed doors and presented to voters in rigged polls.”

I have to agree with the message of the piece, which is essentially saying that zoning does not work. In a country of approximately 150 million people, they need a government that consists of the best people for the job – through merit rather than where they come from.

Since independence 50 years ago, Nigeria has not achieved its full potential as ‘the giant of Africa’. Public services across the nation are all but non-existent, corruption is rife and democracy, in the true meaning of the word, is  not being practiced.

Another extract: “The zoning system…tends to produce poor leaders. Only the well-connected get to the front of the queue. Usually they are incompetent,too,since the regional barons who anoint them like weak figures who will not challenge the status quo.”

Food for thought – What do you think? Is zoning an out-dated idea that produces poor leaders, or is it still the best way to deal with ethnic tensions within Nigeria? Comments below.
Re: Is Zoning Holding Nigeria Back? by Blazay(m): 9:30pm On Nov 25, 2010
No, it is not.
Given the multi-ethnic sentiments dividing the whole country, it is the best we can do now.
So that each geo-political zone can work within itself to field it's best candidate.

I like the idea because it would bring about a healthy competion within the ethnic groups in Nigeria.
It would be nice to see what ethnic group can put Nigeria in the right direction/

I do not count the military when I think of governance.

OBJ has had 10 years and counting. A major failure from the Western part of Nigeria.
Atiku is from the Middle Belt and will show more promise being independent from the only government we have ever known in Nigerian history, which is the OBJ-IBB pseudo ciivilian government.

We need a break from 'khaki in agbada' rule.

Right now, zoning is the only mechanism by which the various ethnic groups in Nigeria will avoid the comback of military rule in Nigeria. At least, something to hope for as in 'it is our turn'.

Not a bad idea if implemented with the right tools in place.
Re: Is Zoning Holding Nigeria Back? by ndcide(m): 12:38pm On Nov 26, 2010
zoning is not a bad idea if implimented properly.it must also go with a free and fair election. If we don't want to face the truth, then we can call it a totaly bad idea. For me frm federal to the local govet zoning should be practiced but with a very free and fair election.
Re: Is Zoning Holding Nigeria Back? by furacao(m): 2:56pm On Nov 26, 2010
Once Nigeria becomes a meritocracy, then we can begin to believe we are serious. Un til then, we'll have to make do with recycled leadership() of IBB, Buhari, Atiku etc. (l wonder where Obama and Cameron were when IBB was first in power.)

But not everyone wants to be part of this joke,

Long Live Biafra! Let my people go!!!
Re: Is Zoning Holding Nigeria Back? by Becomrich11: 4:27pm On Nov 26, 2010
2:1:0:3 system(6 zone),East got2,West1,Mid west0,North3,New 6 Universities

East got 2
West 1
Mid west 0
North 3

The 6 zone or the 2:1:0:3 is not good for nigeria, it is cheating people.

Re: Is Zoning Holding Nigeria Back? by sundayogor(m): 4:50pm On Nov 26, 2010
make we 4get about this zoning of a thing, no be only Hausa and Yoruba dey 4 Nigeria, we plenty for only hausa and Yoruba people to rule us. this zoning of a thing no go solve Nigeria problem, wetin we want na leader not traditional ruler
Re: Is Zoning Holding Nigeria Back? by SeXyBoNE: 9:04pm On Nov 26, 2010
YESSSSSSSSSS
Re: Is Zoning Holding Nigeria Back? by oiseworld: 12:04am On Nov 27, 2010
Blazay:

No, it is not.
Given the multi-ethnic sentiments dividing the whole country, it is the best we can do now.
So that each geo-political zone can work within itself to field it's best candidate.

I like the idea because it would bring about a healthy competion within the ethnic groups in Nigeria.
It would be nice to see what ethnic group can put Nigeria in the right direction/

I do not count the military when I think of governance.

OBJ has had 10 years and counting. A major failure from the Western part of Nigeria.
Atiku is from the Middle Belt and will show more promise being independent from the only government we have ever known in Nigerian history, which is the OBJ-IBB pseudo ciivilian government.

We need a break from 'khaki in agbada' rule.

Right now, zoning is the only mechanism by which the various ethnic groups in Nigeria will avoid the comback of military rule in Nigeria. At least, something to hope for as in 'it is our turn'.

Not a bad idea if implemented with the right tools in place.

the moment u say zoning, u have stepped on the foot of a free and fair election.

remember that this zoning of a thing is not in the Nigerian constitution.
obviously the election has to be rigged to favour the zoned region. that is the point u all do not understand.
Re: Is Zoning Holding Nigeria Back? by Kobojunkie: 12:23am On Nov 27, 2010
oiseworld:

the moment u say zoning, u have stepped on the foot of a free and fair election.
I don’t believe that to be the case. Even in advanced worlds, zoning of offices is considered acceptable. Zoning does not in any way hinder free and fair election; it simply gives people who belong to each of the different groups a higher chance at the seat in question.
Is it the most ideal, I would say not but it is does not hinder free and fair election, if you seek the most qualified candidate no matter the zone.
oiseworld:

remember that this zoning of a thing is not in the Nigerian constitution.
Zoning is constitution -- what do you think federal character has been all about? We all cried foul last year when Yar adua supposedly ignored federal character in his appointment of Alhaji Abdullahi Inde as the comptroller-general of the Nigerian Customs Service, and also in the appointment of Lamido Sanusi as the Governor of the Central Bank .
oiseworld:

obviously the election has to be rigged to favour the zoned region. that is the point u all do not understand.
No, it does not have to be rigged. Zoning has nothing to do with rigging --- that our corrupt elite’ practice both does not mean there exists a relationship between the two.
Re: Is Zoning Holding Nigeria Back? by alphabet43(m): 12:36am On Nov 27, 2010
Are you fucking shitting me. Nigeria is backwards due to the mental retardation of people like all of you talking about some zoning shit. I don't even believe I'm hearing conversation in 2010. i guess we should even go back to slavery then. Support your candidate and let him win in a free and fair election. It is complete and utter madness and mental retardation to advocate some retarded as zoning
Re: Is Zoning Holding Nigeria Back? by oiseworld: 12:44am On Nov 27, 2010
what happens if after zoning.   another candidate from another party,from another region wins the election.  won't the zoned region cry fowl, that they had been cheated.  

not to allow these, the election would have to be rigged by the PDP. let us use our foresight.

lets say PDP present a Northerner and ACN wins the election with an igbo man.  wont"t the north feel cheated.
Re: Is Zoning Holding Nigeria Back? by Becomrich11: 1:24am On Nov 27, 2010
Kobojunkie what are you talking about, zonning is not constitution. Federal character and zonning are two thing. Federal character talks about state, and not a nonsense 6 zone, created by some cabal in Nigeria.

Even federal character is not right. because the state are not equal in population. You can not compare imo state and half of the population of ibadan. it is an unfair system. Only wicked govt get involve in this. That is why jonathan using 6 zone which is uncontitutional , is a shame even it could lead to impreachment. because he is doing something that is uncontitutional. PDP constitution is not nigeria constitution.
Re: Is Zoning Holding Nigeria Back? by mensdept: 1:43am On Nov 27, 2010
Is zoning really the best we can do? Even at the state level, criminals are using zoning as a reason to support one candidate over the other, instead of experience, track record, or accountability.

Was it not the same zoning that produced OBJ and Yar Adua?

How I wish our leaders, or rather our people, would fight to the last for honest elections instead of selections. That way, people like Fashola and Peter Obi would be in the majority.
Re: Is Zoning Holding Nigeria Back? by OYBMEND: 1:56am On Nov 27, 2010
Zoning is why after the PDP rigging, there was no ethnic war because supporters of Buhari can not possibly attack supporters of Yar'adua or Atiku

And Supporters of Olu Falae can not possibly attack supporters of OBJ based on one ethnic group maltreating the other during elections.

So folks, zoning is not best practice but in Nigeria; for now it works.
Re: Is Zoning Holding Nigeria Back? by mensdept: 2:03am On Nov 27, 2010
OYB_MEND:

Zoning is why after the PDP rigging, there was no ethnic war because supporters of Buhari can not possibly attack supporters of Yar'adua or Atiku

And Supporters of Olu Falae can not possibly attack supporters of OBJ based on one ethnic group maltreating the other during elections.

So folks, zoning is not best practice but in Nigeria; for now it works.

Perhaps but,

What happens when it doesnt work, or isnt working, or Naija isnt moving forward, and instead, state legislators and national MPs are awarding themselves millions abi billions for cars, furniture, and maybe even jets?

You see, when a pretender is imposed on us in the name of ZONING, doenst perform, and dies, his slightly more competent Vice could be denied the natural ascendancy to be HOS. Then we have to renegotiate or return to square one.
Re: Is Zoning Holding Nigeria Back? by OYBMEND: 2:06am On Nov 27, 2010
At least we are not fighting wars after election.

Trust me there are well qualified Presidential materials in every zone at each time.

If we honestly want the best we can find at least 3 good leadership materials in each zone.

We just refuse to seek the best.

Zoning is not the problem, refusal to demand the best is.

The parties that don't have a zoning policy don't even have the best candidates they can have.
Re: Is Zoning Holding Nigeria Back? by OYBMEND: 2:11am On Nov 27, 2010
If you institutionalize a rigorous election programme

where candidates declare on time, engage in life debates, tell us where they stand phylosophically, conducts steady press conferences defending and responding to events in the polity.

Even if you zone power to just one state under this condition we will produce a world class leader.

But if you have a system where people run for the Presidency and yet hide in their bedrooms and then a winner will emerge. Even if you ask the whole of Africa to participate in that election, on those who have connections and no how to play the game of rigging in Nigeria will emerge.
Re: Is Zoning Holding Nigeria Back? by Kobojunkie: 2:16am On Nov 27, 2010
oiseworld:

what happens if after zoning.   another candidate from another party,from another region wins the election.  won't the zoned region cry fowl, that they had been cheated.  
Well, what you have above is not even possible is zoning is actually implemented on a National level.
oiseworld:

not to allow these, the election would have to be rigged by the PDP. let us use our foresight.
lets say PDP present a Northerner and ACN wins the election with an igbo man.  wont"t the north feel cheated.
I believe you are confusing PDP Zoning with national zoning here.
Re: Is Zoning Holding Nigeria Back? by Kobojunkie: 2:19am On Nov 27, 2010
mens dept:

Is zoning really the best we can do? Even at the state level, criminals are using zoning as a reason to support one candidate over the other, instead of experience, track record, or accountability.
Was it not the same zoning that produced OBJ and Yar Adua?

PDP Zoning produced Obj and yar adua as PDP Candidates. RIGGING at the national level made them presidents. Zoning is not to blame for that.
mens dept:

How I wish our leaders, or rather our people, would fight to the last for honest elections instead of selections. That way, people like Fashola and Peter Obi would be in the majority.
Then please urge your leaders to fight for better elections at the National level, but let us get a better idea of what Zoning is and what is really is to blame for.
Re: Is Zoning Holding Nigeria Back? by Kobojunkie: 2:23am On Nov 27, 2010
mens dept:

Perhaps but,

What happens when it doesnt work, or isnt working, or Naija isnt moving forward, and instead, state legislators and national MPs are awarding themselves millions abi billions for cars, furniture, and maybe even jets?
Well, when it comes to electing a president, the nation does not require the office be zoned so we are yet to actually ZONE the presidency. However, I believe most of our political parties practice zoning at the party level and so we confuse that to mean the presidency is zoned, which is not necessarily the case.

mens dept:

You see, when a pretender is imposed on us in the name of ZONING, doenst perform, and dies, his slightly more competent Vice could be denied the natural ascendancy to be HOS. Then we have to renegotiate or return to square one.
This is wrong! If the house had organized a new election within 3 months of the last fiasco, we would have probably ended up with another party in power, if Nigerians were really as disgusted as I had initially thought they were.

I feel I need to repeat this again, Zoning is not to blame for our getting Yar adua – rigging is.
Re: Is Zoning Holding Nigeria Back? by igboboy1(m): 8:22am On Nov 27, 2010
alphabet43:

Are you bleeping shitting me. Nigeria is backwards due to the mental retardation of people like all of you talking about some zoning poo. I don't even believe I'm hearing conversation in 2010. i guess we should even go back to slavery then. Support your candidate and let him win in a free and fair election. It is complete and utter madness and mental retardation to advocate some not-so-smart as zoning

Easy for you to say, I believe you and agree when u say Nigeria is backward due to Zoning. Me myself I hate it but unfortunately "na so we see am" for naija,

This zoning has only come up because past leaders (which happen to be hausa and yoruba men) have not done anything for the country other than promote their region (especially hausa people, na them full fed government, military).

I dont think anybody cares if the president of nigeria is from ile ife for the next 50yrs as long as we dey see progress in all of nigeria and not just in their accounts and home states then everything is cool. e hotara ?
Re: Is Zoning Holding Nigeria Back? by igbobuigbo: 8:32am On Nov 27, 2010
Nigeria is doomed without zoning. The present zoning arrangement has one major flaw: it is 2-zonal (north versus south) instead of 6-zonal (SE, NE, NW, SS, SW and NC). If the later was the case, nobody will have seen Jonathan as usurping the north's term.
Re: Is Zoning Holding Nigeria Back? by fstranger: 8:43am On Nov 27, 2010
igbobuigbo:

Nigeria is doomed without zoning. The present zoning arrangement has one major flaw: it is 2-zonal (north versus south) instead of 6-zonal (SE, NE, NW, SS, SW and NC). If the later was the case, nobody will have seen Jonathan as usurping the north's term.

Again wrong you are. the present system is actually 6-zonal, not 2-zonal. check your facts!
I agree with you, Zoning is necessary in our politics.
Re: Is Zoning Holding Nigeria Back? by igbobuigbo: 8:45am On Nov 27, 2010
fstranger:

Again wrong you are. the present system is actually 6-zonal, not 2-zonal. check your facts!
I agree with you, Zoning is necessary in our politics.

Why not show how I am wrong. What do you know apart from cursing, hatred, bigotry and ignorance?
Re: Is Zoning Holding Nigeria Back? by fstranger: 8:48am On Nov 27, 2010
igbobuigbo:

Why not show how I am wrong. What do you know apart from cursing, hatred, bigotry and ignorance?

I do know about the intricacies of Nigeria politics more than you will ever know.
Now run to Idumagbo and get me some spare parts from your brother Nwokocha.
Re: Is Zoning Holding Nigeria Back? by igbobuigbo: 8:57am On Nov 27, 2010
fstranger:

I do know about the intricacies of Nigeria politics more than you will ever know.
Now run to Idumagbo and get me some spare parts from your brother Nwokocha.

Better a spare parts dealer than a jobless motor park tout Bode, in Ojota, no?
Re: Is Zoning Holding Nigeria Back? by fstranger: 9:04am On Nov 27, 2010
igbobuigbo:

Better a spare parts dealer than a jobless motor park tout Bode, in Ojota, no?

If you say so. Most of the touts drive commercial buses and they keep you in business.
Anyway, whatever you do, you still have to "serve" the interests of the 'Yoruba' man, educated or not.

Now run to 'Alaba' and go get 'Bode' some spare parts for his danfo.
Re: Is Zoning Holding Nigeria Back? by igbobuigbo: 9:09am On Nov 27, 2010
fstranger:

If you say so. Most of the touts drive commercial buses and they keep you in business.
Anyway, whatever you do, you still have to "serve" the interests of the 'Yoruba' man, educated or not.

Now run to 'Alaba' and go get 'Bode' some spare parts for his danfo.

That spare parts dealer feeds you and your family. These days, many of their apprentices and market security men bear names such as Tinubu, Ola, Ade, Akin, etc
Re: Is Zoning Holding Nigeria Back? by fstranger: 9:13am On Nov 27, 2010
The vast majority of those doing that dirty job still go by names like Emeka, Obi, Nwobodo, Igbobuigbo, Igbo boy etc
Re: Is Zoning Holding Nigeria Back? by igbobuigbo: 9:22am On Nov 27, 2010
fstranger:

The vast majority of those doing that dirty job still go by names like Emeka, Obi, Nwobodo, Igbobuigbo, Igbo boy etc

Yes, but they work for themselves while Ola, Ade, fstranger, Tinubu, Adisa serve them as gate men and apprentices, while still maintaining their 100% hold on the motor parks as touts.
Re: Is Zoning Holding Nigeria Back? by kcjazz(m): 9:23am On Nov 27, 2010
For now, zoning is necessary due to our division along ethnic and religious lines. However, I would suggest 2-zonal arrangement (North and South), that way we have a wider pull of qualified candidates. All states/zones are not on the same level both academically or in terms of development, hence having a 6-zonal arrangement would limit us as a country.
Re: Is Zoning Holding Nigeria Back? by fstranger: 9:30am On Nov 27, 2010
igbobuigbo:

Yes, but they work for themselves while Ola, Ade, fstranger, Tinubu, Adisa serve them as gate men and apprentices, while still maintaining their 100% hold on the motor parks as touts.

True, because unlike the myopic Emekas, the Olas believe in diversifying their source of income. Again, superior thinking from the Yorubas. Y'all need to learn from Ola, Ade, fstranger, Tinubu, and Adisa.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos State Govt Warns Of Another Heavy Rain - Be At Alert Guyz / How Do I Get Official Documents Relating To Goverment Spending. / Jonathan's Youwin Is A Joke. Nigerians Take Note And Demand Your Rights

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.