Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,728 members, 7,851,494 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 08:41 PM

Colour Blindness Or ! Why Do We Call Ourselves “BLACKS” And Proud About It ? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Colour Blindness Or ! Why Do We Call Ourselves “BLACKS” And Proud About It ? (1491 Views)

I Am From Portharcourt And Proud Igbo- Sabinus / I Hate Myself For Being A Nigerian And Proud To Be An Igbo / PDP Governors React To Peter Obi's Performance At VP Debate And Proud Of Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Colour Blindness Or ! Why Do We Call Ourselves “BLACKS” And Proud About It ? by WebSurfer(m): 12:28pm On Dec 09, 2019
Personal Opinion:

I think it is not only pejorative but disparaging when we call ourselves “black”

Firstly, i will like to state, that the word “black”, except used in describing physical objects or living organisms with black coloring, example; Blackbird, blackboard, blacksmiths etc,

Stands for everything negative, illegal or inferior

Examples; Blackball , Black·guard , Blackmail, blacklist, black book, black market, etc

Except the westerners choose to see themselves as superior or pure, or literally mentioning the exact color of their skin, i clearly want to understand why we or they, call themselves “White”

Many legends like Fela in the past made major contributions to this and i think it should be corrected.

We are not illegal humans or less than any race

Kindly look at your skin, and tell me why you call yourself black
Re: Colour Blindness Or ! Why Do We Call Ourselves “BLACKS” And Proud About It ? by PapaBaby: 12:35pm On Dec 09, 2019
Stop looking at Black in a negative way.
Re: Colour Blindness Or ! Why Do We Call Ourselves “BLACKS” And Proud About It ? by WebSurfer(m): 12:38pm On Dec 09, 2019
PapaBaby:
Stop looking at Black in a negative way.
Maybe if you tell me something positive about the word, or they modify the dictionary meaning

Either ways, my skin color is literally not the color below, neither other africans

Re: Colour Blindness Or ! Why Do We Call Ourselves “BLACKS” And Proud About It ? by WebSurfer(m): 12:46pm On Dec 09, 2019
You would hear or read “brown skinned” that is fine

But, have you seen, “Pink skinned” ? Or “Orange skinned”

Or maybe suffer color blindness to know what “white” is
Re: Colour Blindness Or ! Why Do We Call Ourselves “BLACKS” And Proud About It ? by dawnomike(m): 12:46pm On Dec 09, 2019
WebSurfer:
Personal Opinion:

I think it is not only pejorative but disparaging when we call ourselves “black”

Firstly, i will like to state, that the word “black” stands for everything “illegal” , inferior or negative.

Blackmail, blacklist, black book, etc

Except the westerners choose to see themselves as superior or pure, or literally mentioning the exact color of their skin, i clearly want to understand why we or they, call themselves “White”

Many legends like Fela in the past made major contributions to this and i think it should be corrected.

We are not illegal humans or less than any race

Kindly look at your skin, and tell me why you call yourself black
i share your opinion

1 Like

Re: Colour Blindness Or ! Why Do We Call Ourselves “BLACKS” And Proud About It ? by WebSurfer(m): 12:52pm On Dec 09, 2019
dawnomike:
i share your opinion
Even as africans, When somebody calls you a blackman, you already know the stereotype that comes with it
Re: Colour Blindness Or ! Why Do We Call Ourselves “BLACKS” And Proud About It ? by helinues: 12:53pm On Dec 09, 2019
Sorry " Black " is only English words .
Re: Colour Blindness Or ! Why Do We Call Ourselves “BLACKS” And Proud About It ? by WebSurfer(m): 12:55pm On Dec 09, 2019
helinues:
Sorry " Black " is only English words .

Look well in history and story of slave trades expecially in Latin America
Find out the translated names for African decedants

In Latin, black is Nigreos
In Spanish, Negra , Negro

Infact, it’s even rude and demeaning when people of mixed race are called Mulattos (Mixed parent, of Caucasian and African decent)

If that doesn’t doesn’t give you pointers why it’s offensive when the opposite race mentions, don’t know what else will make sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQRNeyPklys
Re: Colour Blindness Or ! Why Do We Call Ourselves “BLACKS” And Proud About It ? by helinues: 12:58pm On Dec 09, 2019
WebSurfer:

Look well in history and story of slave trades expecially in Latin America
Find out the translated names for African decedants

That's what they made you to believe. Na Dudu my ancestors dey call colour black.
Re: Colour Blindness Or ! Why Do We Call Ourselves “BLACKS” And Proud About It ? by WebSurfer(m): 1:02pm On Dec 09, 2019
helinues:

That's what they made you to believe. Na Dudu my ancestors dey call colour black.

Watch at least the beginning of the video posted above

“God made whites”
“Saint peter made mulattos”
“The Devil made black” - Jose Hernandes

I find it annoying you are not getting my point
Re: Colour Blindness Or ! Why Do We Call Ourselves “BLACKS” And Proud About It ? by helinues: 1:06pm On Dec 09, 2019
WebSurfer:

Watch at least the beginning of the video posted above

“God made whites”
“Saint peters made mulattos”
“Devil made black”

I find it annoying you are not getting my point

Still English story... What they wants you to believe.. You mean during the bible time, Nigeria no exists?

Re: Colour Blindness Or ! Why Do We Call Ourselves “BLACKS” And Proud About It ? by WebSurfer(m): 1:09pm On Dec 09, 2019
helinues:

Still English story... What they wants you to believe.. You mean during the bible time, Nigeria no exists?
i clearly, shouldn’t be talking to people who still haven’t found out religion is man-made in 21st century
Re: Colour Blindness Or ! Why Do We Call Ourselves “BLACKS” And Proud About It ? by helinues: 1:10pm On Dec 09, 2019
WebSurfer:

i clearly, shouldn’t be talking to people who still haven’t found out religion is man-made in 21st century

Your matter

Re: Colour Blindness Or ! Why Do We Call Ourselves “BLACKS” And Proud About It ? by passion007: 1:16pm On Dec 09, 2019
What do you suggest OP?

Brown skin? Yellow skin?

Before you answer, think of the darker members of the race and come up with a colour that includes all, and doesn't create room for further discrimination of other members who have a heavier pigmentation than others.

Now, I challenge you to come up with a colour that's acceptable to you and most Africans/ people of African descent.
Re: Colour Blindness Or ! Why Do We Call Ourselves “BLACKS” And Proud About It ? by WebSurfer(m): 1:19pm On Dec 09, 2019
passion007:
What do you suggest OP?

Brown skin? Yellow skin?

Before you answer, think of the darker members of the race and come up with a colour that includes all, and doesn't create room for further discrimination of other members who have a heavier pigmentation than others.

Now, I challenge you to come up with a colour that's acceptable to you and most Africans/ people of African descent.

Having in mind nobody is yellow, or white, I would accept being called brown skinned, African, Light skinned or Fair in complexion

Dark skinned or darker in complexion even sounds better than the term “Black” which is even literally wrong for choosing a representing color

If we want to eradicate racism and the dark view or stereotypes of this race, we must correct ourselves
Re: Colour Blindness Or ! Why Do We Call Ourselves “BLACKS” And Proud About It ? by passion007: 2:05pm On Dec 09, 2019
WebSurfer:

Having in mind nobody is yellow, or white, I would accept being called brown skinned, African, Light skinned or Fair in complexion

Dark skinned or darker in complexion even sounds better than the term “Black” which is even literally wrong for choosing a representing color

If we want to eradicate racism and the dark view or stereotypes of this race, we must correct ourselves

I did think this was what you were on to. My point is brown skin is not inclusive at all, as a descriptor for people of African descent, particularly of sub saharan Africa.
Brown skin, in modern context, describes people of Asian descent such as Indians. Neither of these colour appellation claims to categorize every member of the racial group they describe. Black is a spectrum of colours, and not only "charcoal black" as you wrongly assume, which is perhaps the cause of your confusion.

Your other point about dark skin. Dark skin, black skin, po-tay-to, po-tah-to. What's in a name, my friend? Through history we have censored many racial slurs which were considered offensive, but being described as a black person is something I proudly identify as. If you describe yourself as lighter skinned, that is simply an adjective that describes your colour relative to a darker member of the group. But this is one group nonetheless.

We need to decolonise our minds. Be proud of whatever hue of black you are. Racism is not how you describe yourself, but how other people of a different culture may perceive you, often fueled by perhaps their existing bias and prejudice. But to bend over backwards and deny other members of my racial group in the hope that I'll be accepted by a non black population is something you and me should never have to do. It reeks of inferiority.

1 Like

Re: Colour Blindness Or ! Why Do We Call Ourselves “BLACKS” And Proud About It ? by WebSurfer(m): 2:14pm On Dec 09, 2019
passion007:

I did think this was what you were on to. My point is brown skin is not inclusive at all, as a descriptor for people of African descent, particularly of sub saharan Africa.
Brown skin, in modern context, describes people of Asian descent such as Indians. Neither of these colour appellation claims to categorize every member of the racial group they describe. [s]Black is a spectrum of colours, and not only "charcoal black" [/s]as you wrongly assume, which is perhaps the cause of your confusion.

Your other point about dark skin. Dark skin, black skin, po-tay-to, po-tah-to. What's in a name, my friend? Through history we have censored many racial slurs which were considered offensive, but [s]being described as a black person is something I proudly identify as[/s]. If you describe yourself as lighter skinned, that is simply an adjective that describes your colour relative to a darker member of the group. But this is one group nonetheless.

[s]We need to decolonise our minds. Be proud of whatever hue of black you are. [/s]
Racism is not how you describe yourself, but how other people of a different culture may perceive you, often fueled by perhaps their existing bias and prejudice. But to bend over backwards and deny other members of my racial group in the hope that I'll be accepted by a non black population is something you and me should never have to do. It reeks of inferiority.
I forbid such a mentality. It reeks of ignorance

For the selected in red, i am saying they have subjected you inferior and illegal and you cannot think clearly for yourself
Re: Colour Blindness Or ! Why Do We Call Ourselves “BLACKS” And Proud About It ? by passion007: 2:26pm On Dec 09, 2019
WebSurfer:

I forbid such a mentality. It reeks of ignorance

It doesn't matter at all if you forbid it or not; that's beside the point.

Until you're able to come up with a skin colour categorization that includes more African peoples than the current descriptor "black", we'll carry on with the status quo.

Changing your race from black to any other colour will not in any way, change how a non black person perceives or relates with you.
Re: Colour Blindness Or ! Why Do We Call Ourselves “BLACKS” And Proud About It ? by WebSurfer(m): 2:29pm On Dec 09, 2019
passion007:

It doesn't matter at all if you forbid it or not; that's beside the point.

Until you're able to come up with a skin colour categorization that includes more African peoples than the current descriptor "black", we'll carry on with the status quo.

Changing your race from black to any other colour will not in any way, change how a non black person perceives or relates with you.
As long you keep associating with with word black, you are a slave illegal for all i care.

Goodbye since you are so blind you cannnot relatively say the exact colour of your skin.

This is beyond your comprehension
Re: Colour Blindness Or ! Why Do We Call Ourselves “BLACKS” And Proud About It ? by passion007: 2:54pm On Dec 09, 2019
WebSurfer:

As long you keep associating with with word black, you are a slave illegal for all i care.

Goodbye since you are so blind you cannnot relatively say the exact colour of your skin.

This is beyond your comprehension

You're being petty and craving for white validation. Simple as that.

Simple question

After you succeed in adopting "brown " to describe African people, would everyone below still belong to the same race?

You're against the descriptor black because you're of a lighter hue and think brown describes you better compared to white people?

Compared to Asian and north African peoples , are you going to further describe yourself as "darker brown"?

Compared to some of these beautifully melanated Sudanese models, are you now going to be lighter brown?

Haha where does the madness end?? Now im genuinely messing with you.

All of this heehaw will be avoided if you weren't chasing white validation.

Re: Colour Blindness Or ! Why Do We Call Ourselves “BLACKS” And Proud About It ? by WebSurfer(m): 3:01pm On Dec 09, 2019
passion007:

You're being petty and craving for white validation. Simple as that.

Simple question

After you succeed in adopting "brown " to describe African people, would everyone below still belong to the same race?

You're against the descriptor black because you're of a lighter hue and think brown describes you better compared to white people?

Compared to Asian and north African peoples , are you going to further describe yourself as "darker brown"?

Compared to some of these beautifully melanated Sudanese models, are you now going to be lighter brown?

Haha where does the madness end?? Now im genuinely messing with you.

All of this heehaw will be avoided if you weren't chasing white validation.
If you are not foolish with what you posted, you can identify the difference between the pictures you posted and black

Btw you keep using forbidden words in my dictionary when you mentioned “white validation” you clearly even lose the point continuously. Stop writing out of shame
Re: Colour Blindness Or ! Why Do We Call Ourselves “BLACKS” And Proud About It ? by nlPoster: 3:01pm On Dec 09, 2019
WebSurfer:

Maybe if you tell me something positive about the word, or they modify the dictionary meaning

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/in_the_black
Re: Colour Blindness Or ! Why Do We Call Ourselves “BLACKS” And Proud About It ? by WebSurfer(m): 3:04pm On Dec 09, 2019
nlPoster:

Black means rich

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/in_the_black
How does “In the black” connote “black” in my mentions
Re: Colour Blindness Or ! Why Do We Call Ourselves “BLACKS” And Proud About It ? by passion007: 3:09pm On Dec 09, 2019
WebSurfer:

If you are not foolish with what you posted, you can identify the difference between the pictures you posted and black

Btw you keep using forbidden words in my dictionary when you mentioned “white validation” you clearly even lose the point continuously. Stop writing out of shame

If you can't identify two of the models as unarguably black, then it's time to change your phone. There's a few cheap, good resolution phones in the market these days, you know.
Wink wink.
Re: Colour Blindness Or ! Why Do We Call Ourselves “BLACKS” And Proud About It ? by WebSurfer(m): 3:36pm On Dec 09, 2019
passion007:

If you can't identify two of the models as unarguably black, then it's time to change your phone. There's a few cheap, good resolution phones in the market these days, you know.
Wink wink.
You clearly have anomalies with the way you reason
Re: Colour Blindness Or ! Why Do We Call Ourselves “BLACKS” And Proud About It ? by nlPoster: 3:41pm On Dec 09, 2019
WebSurfer:

How does “In the black” connote “black” in my mentions

I modified my comment since most blacks cant be called rich.

To answer your question, in the black connotes black because both are referring to a colour.
Re: Colour Blindness Or ! Why Do We Call Ourselves “BLACKS” And Proud About It ? by passion007: 3:46pm On Dec 09, 2019
WebSurfer:

You deny thay black is a spectrum of colours, but you accept brown as a spectrum. Haha.

All these men are brown, according to you. These are pictures of Hispanic, North African men who historically identify as brown, and West African and Sudanese men who historically identify as black.

And the reason you're so passionate about using the word 'brown' to describe African people is to curb racism yea? Ridiculous.

I think you need to be comfortable in your skin first. Somebody needs to get their confidence back.

Have you recently moved from Nigeria and experiencing racism, hence wanting to change your racial identifiers in the hope this changes how the white population perceive you?
Never gonna happen.
I can help you come to grips with this reality.

Send a DM if you need my help.

Cheers

Re: Colour Blindness Or ! Why Do We Call Ourselves “BLACKS” And Proud About It ? by WebSurfer(m): 3:56pm On Dec 09, 2019
passion007:

You deny thay black is a spectrum of colours, but you accept brown as a spectrum. Haha.

All these men are brown, according to you. These are pictures of Hispanic, North African men who historically identify as brown, and West African and Sudanese men who historically identify as black.

And the reason you're so passionate about using the word 'brown' to describe African people is to curb racism yea? Ridiculous.

I think you need to be comfortable in your skin first. Somebody needs to get their confidence back.

Have you recently moved from Nigeria and experiencing racism, hence wanting to change your racial identifiers in the hope this changes how the white population perceive you?
Never gonna happen.
I can help you come to grips with this reality.

Send a DM if you need my help.

Cheers

Who is talking about comfort in skin colour? I have not severely experienced racism except crucial airport checks (of which i take responsibility for because of the image our brothers gave to us) or xenophobic treatments but that, entirely a different topic.

I can’t believe you are so dumb you cannot differentiate between black and brown (either light or dark brown)

Arguing with you seems like i am doing so with a dullard
Re: Colour Blindness Or ! Why Do We Call Ourselves “BLACKS” And Proud About It ? by passion007: 4:26pm On Dec 09, 2019
WebSurfer:

Who is talking about comfort in skin colour? I have not severely experienced racism except crucial airport checks (of which i take responsibility for because of the image our brothers gave to us) or xenophobic treatments but that, entirely a different topic.

I can’t believe you are so dumb you cannot differentiate between black and brown (either light or dark brown)

Arguing with you seems like i am doing so with a dullard

Typical response when you've run out of ideas to support your inconsistent stance.

Why is it okay to describe brown with quantifiers, but black has to be absolute?

Answer this question without your trademark meander.
Re: Colour Blindness Or ! Why Do We Call Ourselves “BLACKS” And Proud About It ? by WebSurfer(m): 5:08pm On Dec 09, 2019
passion007:

Typical response when you've run out of ideas to support your inconsistent stance.

Why is it okay to describe brown with quantifiers, but black has to be absolute?

Answer this question without your trademark meander.
You will never have common sense. I don’t know how this topic concern the nonsense you wrote above
Re: Colour Blindness Or ! Why Do We Call Ourselves “BLACKS” And Proud About It ? by passion007: 5:44pm On Dec 09, 2019
WebSurfer:

You will never have common sense. I don’t know how this topic concern the nonsense you wrote above

So basically, no knowledge or understanding of what you're advocating.

Just another loud and empty barrel, chanting a tired line he doesn't understand.

Look at all these accomplished people of African descent who identify as black without any qualms, but on this forum an obscure online character would rather be described as brown and is mindlessly unable to communicate his stance or convince anyone to take him seriously.

GTFOH!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why PDP Will Not Field Obaseki Despite His Bags Of Money / How Magu, Ordered Arrest Of Complainant To Protect ‘godson’ Caught During Sting / Mr President Used The Federal Executive Chamber For APC NWC Meeting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.