Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,222 members, 7,818,762 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:03 AM

5 Nigerian Television Series That Held Us Spellbound This Decade - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 5 Nigerian Television Series That Held Us Spellbound This Decade (59822 Views)

DSS Kidnapped And Held Us For 20 Days Without Charge- Jewish Film Makers(pic) / 34 Achievements Of President Muhammadu Buhari That Left Nigerians Spellbound!! / 30 Achievements Of President Buhari That Left Nigerians Spellbound (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Nigerian Television Series That Held Us Spellbound This Decade by drmikeadams(m): 11:04pm On Dec 20, 2019
oluplus:
My sibling and I no make your list?
grin

I loved d episode where dey were hiring drivers ,broda shaggi finish work

2 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Television Series That Held Us Spellbound This Decade by Nobody: 11:05pm On Dec 20, 2019
My Siblings and I is the bomb...

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Television Series That Held Us Spellbound This Decade by mojeezy: 11:10pm On Dec 20, 2019
Tried watching but none of them kept me spellbound.
The only ones that did were jennifer's diary and rok tv's ojukwu
and since they're not here, ur list is biased

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Television Series That Held Us Spellbound This Decade by cosmos1440: 11:19pm On Dec 20, 2019
YoungLionken:
I don't really know any of the aforementioned by the OP but, you see Papa Ajasco and Company,Superstory,Ayamatanger(i am at anger), Jaguar, Ishawuru, Fuji House of Commotion, Everyday People ehn...

cheesy

2 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Television Series That Held Us Spellbound This Decade by osazsky(m): 11:20pm On Dec 20, 2019
Lotel:
Where is jenifa's diary??
spits tufiakwa

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Television Series That Held Us Spellbound This Decade by karli4nia(m): 11:20pm On Dec 20, 2019
healthserve:
Secrets of the sand

Isn't that the one that played in the 90s along side rich also cry..? And passions..

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Television Series That Held Us Spellbound This Decade by cosmos1440: 11:21pm On Dec 20, 2019
mojeezy:
Tried watching but none of them kept me spellbound.
The only ones that did were jennifer's diary and rok tv's ojukwu
and since they're not here, ur list is biased

You're right,
There's no series of recent that beats Jenifer's Diary

2 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Television Series That Held Us Spellbound This Decade by karli4nia(m): 11:22pm On Dec 20, 2019
I don't know anyone here except.for Johnson's..
Re: 5 Nigerian Television Series That Held Us Spellbound This Decade by aywagze(m): 11:23pm On Dec 20, 2019
Una see electricity watch tv for una side ?? ..electricity no dey this side since like forever o.
Re: 5 Nigerian Television Series That Held Us Spellbound This Decade by blingxx(m): 11:30pm On Dec 20, 2019
bluecircle470:
Who even know all this? I have not heard of those names before. Good radiance to bad rubbish

These shows are only aired on dstv and gotv
Re: 5 Nigerian Television Series That Held Us Spellbound This Decade by Vicyace: 11:34pm On Dec 20, 2019
YoungLionken:
I don't really know any of the aforementioned by the OP but, you see Papa Ajasco and Company,Superstory,Ayamatanger(i am at anger), Jaguar, Ishawuru, Fuji House of Commotion, Everyday People ehn...

The picture, Mama leko,

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Television Series That Held Us Spellbound This Decade by Hallabee1(m): 11:38pm On Dec 20, 2019
edoairways:

2010 to 2019 is how many years?

the guy is right,u be indomie generation, how about Passion( though not local series) way back on AIT, can never forget that , I love that series alot
Re: 5 Nigerian Television Series That Held Us Spellbound This Decade by Adinoyi119(m): 11:40pm On Dec 20, 2019
Sons of Caliphates Husbands of Lagos Every other movies should be thrown inside the trash can!
Re: 5 Nigerian Television Series That Held Us Spellbound This Decade by edoairways: 11:42pm On Dec 20, 2019
Hallabee1:

the guy is right,u be indomie generation, how about Passion way back on AIT, can never forget that
Do you know when I was born?
Can you comprehend what the poster posted at all because it seems you and that guy don't?
So go back to the article, digest to understand what it says

3 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Television Series That Held Us Spellbound This Decade by Suspect33(m): 11:47pm On Dec 20, 2019
edoairways:

Can you comprehend what the poster posted at all because it seems you and that guy don't?
lol, some were even mentioning fuji house of commotion, is it that they don't understand what 'decade' means?
Re: 5 Nigerian Television Series That Held Us Spellbound This Decade by Hallabee1(m): 11:53pm On Dec 20, 2019
edoairways:

I tried to modify my quote but it was already posted , the OP was referring to local series but I so much love that Passion though not local series but can't forget that series , apologies
Re: 5 Nigerian Television Series That Held Us Spellbound This Decade by 3mmyz(m): 12:07am On Dec 21, 2019
oluwasegun007:
Why am I the one one who feel the Johnsons is over hyped..

The comedy they portray is weak and lack creativity..

Then you're wrong.
Re: 5 Nigerian Television Series That Held Us Spellbound This Decade by Fayrouzz(m): 12:17am On Dec 21, 2019
oluwasegun007:

Very weak indeed. I can't seem to get the hype.

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Television Series That Held Us Spellbound This Decade by E2000: 12:21am On Dec 21, 2019
Why Nigeria start producing Science fiction tv series let me know
Re: 5 Nigerian Television Series That Held Us Spellbound This Decade by cliqtips: 12:33am On Dec 21, 2019
you're joking for not including Jenifa's diary or Maybe, you mean JENIFA'S DIARY is too BIG for this group ...
TonyeBarcanista:

The 2010s have been a great decade for Nigerian television shows. From the scripting to the quality of production, Nigerian television has come a long way since the days of New Masquerade.

As we bid farewell to the decade that gave us unforgettable characters like Achelonu and Spiff, we shed the spotlight on Nigerian television shows that not only delivered on quality but also had social media buzzing.

Here are five series that held us spellbound this decade and are all currently available for streaming on Showmax.

1. Ajoche

Fondly dubbed Nigeria’s Game of Thrones by fans of the show, Ajoche aired on Africa Magic Showcase from April 2018 to May 2019.

Ajoche is set in 1918 when the Idoma emerged from the middle belt of Nigeria at a time when culture and tradition were celebrated. The hit show is a tale of war and duty, revenge and honour, love and lust as the people of Ocholuje embrace their destiny, uncovering some bitter truths and harsh realities as they fight for survival.

Ajoche earned a City People Movie Award nomination for Best TV Series of the Year (English) and frequently made it to the top of Twitter in Nigeria while it aired.

Produced by James Omokwe, the show stars the likes of Hilda Dokubo, Femi Branch, William Benson, Lota Chukwu, Akah Nani, Efa Iwara,Tokunbo Idowu (T-Boss), Lilian Afegbai and Big Brother alumni Bassey Ekpenyong.

2. Battleground

Battleground is a family drama series centred around the Badmus’, a wealthy Nigerian family, and the often questionable lengths its patriarch goes to hold on to power, wealth and even family.

The show gave us one of the most unforgettable moments in Nigerian television history - Adaora flogging Onajite - and had social media buzzing while it aired. From the plot to the acting and even costumes, Battleground held its audience spellbound from start to finish.

It even featured a crossover episode with another Africa Magic series, Hush, reminiscent of the How To Get Away With Murder/Scandal crossover.
The show stars Gbenga Titiloye, Shaffy Bello, Kunle Coker, Joke Silva, Okey Uzoeshi, Ini Dima-Okojie, Ozzy Agu, and Yinka Davies.

3. Hush

Hush marked the return of Nollywood legend Richard Mofe-Damijo to the small screen, thrilling viewers with the delivery of drama and suspense.

Fashion, politics and power is the central theme of the show. A governorship aspirant’s noble mission is tainted by the ambitions of an exclusive men’s club and her personal life.

The show earned a Best Drama nomination in the 2017 Africa Magic Viewers Choice Awards (AMVCA) and stars Thelma Okoduwa, Mawuli Gavor, Ade Laoye, Chris Okagbue and Baaj Adebule, amongst others.

In the wake of the show’s finale, fans applauded the ending, describing it on social media as one of the best Nigerian television shows ever written.

4. The Johnsons

The Johnsons chronicles the lives of an average Nigerian family and the everyday challenges they navigate, told from the perspective of their special 15-year old son, Efe Johnson.

Showing since 2014 on Africa Magic, the show quickly became a household name due to the antics of the characters. The Johnsons has earned several awards, including the 2017 City People Movie Award for Best TV Series of the Year (English) and 2017 AMVCA for Best Comedy.

The Johnsons stars Charles Inojie, Chinedu Ihedieze, Ada Ameh, and Olumide Owuru, among others.

5. Hustle

Starring Sola Sobowale, Seyi Law, Seun Ajayi, Afeez Ayetoro aka Saka, Uzo Osimkpa and most recently Tobi Bakre from Big Brother Naija, Hustle tells the story of Dayo, a gullible but optimistic young man who moves to Lagos with dreams of making it big.

The show earned Deborah Anugwa a 2017 AMVCA Best Actress In A Comedy Award and frequently emerges as one of the most-watched Nigerian shows on Showmax

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Nigerian Television Series That Held Us Spellbound This Decade by wickedtuna: 12:34am On Dec 21, 2019
YoungLionken:
nice list. Edge of paradise too.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Television Series That Held Us Spellbound This Decade by Chrisophad(m): 12:44am On Dec 21, 2019
When you say spellbound and within the last decade,and Jenifa's Diary isn't among top three... then there's is a disconnect somewhere

2 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Television Series That Held Us Spellbound This Decade by kingposh(m): 1:03am On Dec 21, 2019
oluwasegun007:

I swear

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Television Series That Held Us Spellbound This Decade by odinga1of: 1:09am On Dec 21, 2019
TonyeBarcanista:

The 2010s have been a great decade for Nigerian television shows. From the scripting to the quality of production, Nigerian television has come a long way since the days of New Masquerade.

As we bid farewell to the decade that gave us unforgettable characters like Achelonu and Spiff, we shed the spotlight on Nigerian television shows that not only delivered on quality but also had social media buzzing.

Here are five series that held us spellbound this decade and are all currently available for streaming on Showmax.

1. Ajoche

Fondly dubbed Nigeria’s Game of Thrones by fans of the show, Ajoche aired on Africa Magic Showcase from April 2018 to May 2019.

Ajoche is set in 1918 when the Idoma emerged from the middle belt of Nigeria at a time when culture and tradition were celebrated. The hit show is a tale of war and duty, revenge and honour, love and lust as the people of Ocholuje embrace their destiny, uncovering some bitter truths and harsh realities as they fight for survival.

Ajoche earned a City People Movie Award nomination for Best TV Series of the Year (English) and frequently made it to the top of Twitter in Nigeria while it aired.

Produced by James Omokwe, the show stars the likes of Hilda Dokubo, Femi Branch, William Benson, Lota Chukwu, Akah Nani, Efa Iwara,Tokunbo Idowu (T-Boss), Lilian Afegbai and Big Brother alumni Bassey Ekpenyong.

2. Battleground

Battleground is a family drama series centred around the Badmus’, a wealthy Nigerian family, and the often questionable lengths its patriarch goes to hold on to power, wealth and even family.

The show gave us one of the most unforgettable moments in Nigerian television history - Adaora flogging Onajite - and had social media buzzing while it aired. From the plot to the acting and even costumes, Battleground held its audience spellbound from start to finish.

It even featured a crossover episode with another Africa Magic series, Hush, reminiscent of the How To Get Away With Murder/Scandal crossover.
The show stars Gbenga Titiloye, Shaffy Bello, Kunle Coker, Joke Silva, Okey Uzoeshi, Ini Dima-Okojie, Ozzy Agu, and Yinka Davies.

3. Hush

Hush marked the return of Nollywood legend Richard Mofe-Damijo to the small screen, thrilling viewers with the delivery of drama and suspense.

Fashion, politics and power is the central theme of the show. A governorship aspirant’s noble mission is tainted by the ambitions of an exclusive men’s club and her personal life.

The show earned a Best Drama nomination in the 2017 Africa Magic Viewers Choice Awards (AMVCA) and stars Thelma Okoduwa, Mawuli Gavor, Ade Laoye, Chris Okagbue and Baaj Adebule, amongst others.

In the wake of the show’s finale, fans applauded the ending, describing it on social media as one of the best Nigerian television shows ever written.

4. The Johnsons

The Johnsons chronicles the lives of an average Nigerian family and the everyday challenges they navigate, told from the perspective of their special 15-year old son, Efe Johnson.

Showing since 2014 on Africa Magic, the show quickly became a household name due to the antics of the characters. The Johnsons has earned several awards, including the 2017 City People Movie Award for Best TV Series of the Year (English) and 2017 AMVCA for Best Comedy.

The Johnsons stars Charles Inojie, Chinedu Ihedieze, Ada Ameh, and Olumide Owuru, among others.

5. Hustle

Starring Sola Sobowale, Seyi Law, Seun Ajayi, Afeez Ayetoro aka Saka, Uzo Osimkpa and most recently Tobi Bakre from Big Brother Naija, Hustle tells the story of Dayo, a gullible but optimistic young man who moves to Lagos with dreams of making it big.

The show earned Deborah Anugwa a 2017 AMVCA Best Actress In A Comedy Award and frequently emerges as one of the most-watched Nigerian shows on Showmax

You talked about "Hustle" without mentioning "Ochuko" Elvis Poko?

Oga stick to politricks

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Television Series That Held Us Spellbound This Decade by eginaP: 1:10am On Dec 21, 2019
Am I the only one noticing that many people do not know the meaning of "This decade".

Kwontinue.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Television Series That Held Us Spellbound This Decade by mofedamijo(m): 1:13am On Dec 21, 2019
healthserve:
Secrets of the sand

Ruth and Rachel......you're old my guy, though he said this decade.
Re: 5 Nigerian Television Series That Held Us Spellbound This Decade by Ausmos: 1:36am On Dec 21, 2019
Mexyz:
Apart from the Johnsons, never heard or seen the rest.
I also miss a program back then where couples are invited, they ask them questions, one of them is asked to write the answer while they ask the other to give the answer verbally(can't really remember sha)
Prizes on offer then were basically household things (deep freezers, Gen, etc..

I guess it's IT'S YOUR CHOICE
Re: 5 Nigerian Television Series That Held Us Spellbound This Decade by meobizy(f): 1:40am On Dec 21, 2019
Hotel Majestic was my shit. Imagining Oge Okoye's character get bleeped repeatedly was the bomb. Ivie Okujaye is a wonderful actress. Has she fizzled out of the industry? The show deserves a second season. If I can see where to download all the episodes I won't hesitate.

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Television Series That Held Us Spellbound This Decade by Marcos88(m): 1:51am On Dec 21, 2019
Ruth and Raquel

healthserve:
Secrets of the sand
Re: 5 Nigerian Television Series That Held Us Spellbound This Decade by therajah: 2:58am On Dec 21, 2019
ASOROCK wonders
Re: 5 Nigerian Television Series That Held Us Spellbound This Decade by Focusmind: 3:01am On Dec 21, 2019
Zebrudayya Okoroigwe Nwobodo alias 4:30

May be Jaguar next. Indomie generation won't know about these two.

NTA Enugu Channel 8, una well done o
Re: 5 Nigerian Television Series That Held Us Spellbound This Decade by Nature8(m): 3:29am On Dec 21, 2019
healthserve:
Diego and Paloma. When you are mine

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Rivers State Assembly Crises - The Complete Videos / Fayose, Tinubu, Saraki At Akeredolu's Swearing-In (Photos) / INEC Declares Godwin Obaseki Winner Of Edo Governorship Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.