Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,997 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:57 AM

Tunde Bakare: We Were Not Bribed (It Was Transport Money) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tunde Bakare: We Were Not Bribed (It Was Transport Money) (9415 Views)

Udoedehe: Akpabio Gave Us N3m “transport Money” Each After PDP Caucus Meetings / APC Bribed Tribunal With N23b To Oust Me – Wike / Jonathan Bribed Pastors With N7bn, Not N6bn – Musa Dikwa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tunde Bakare: We Were Not Bribed (It Was Transport Money) by BlackRevo: 8:51pm On Nov 30, 2010
We Were Not Offered Bribe: Rev. Tunde Bakare

Rev. Tunde Bakare, senior pastor of Latter Rain Assembly, and convener of Save Nigeria Group (SNG), has denied claim by Sahara reporters that fifty thousand dollars was offered to members of the group as bribe in exchange for their support, during a recent visit with President Goodluck Jonathan. In a telephone conversation with huhuonline.com, Rev Bakare said, “we visited the president, we made our position known to him, and were offered transport money, but we rejected it,based on integrity. “It was not a bribe”, he affirmed
http://www.huhuonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2337%3Awe-were-not-offered-bribe-tunde-bakare&catid=103%3Amore-news
Re: Tunde Bakare: We Were Not Bribed (It Was Transport Money) by violent(m): 9:07pm On Nov 30, 2010
"they weren't trying to bribe us,they only offered us transport money". . . . .seriously?
Re: Tunde Bakare: We Were Not Bribed (It Was Transport Money) by BlackRevo: 9:13pm On Nov 30, 2010
violent:

"they weren't trying to bribe us,they only offered us transport money". . . . .seriously?

Yes what is wrong in offering someone transport money or is it a crime now to offer visitors gift? undecided
Re: Tunde Bakare: We Were Not Bribed (It Was Transport Money) by Beaf: 9:13pm On Nov 30, 2010
Miracle!
I de laugh oooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Vultures were actually circling, looking for my flesh on the other thread. Omase o!
Re: Tunde Bakare: We Were Not Bribed (It Was Transport Money) by Abagworo(m): 9:18pm On Nov 30, 2010
Orubebe’s Secret Meeting With Okah Two Weeks Before Abuja Blasts Revealed!

Wed Oct, 20 2010

Tobi Smith

The South African government is reportedly in a fix as new evidence from the trial of former leader of the Movement for the Emancipation of Niger Delta, Henry Okah shows a complex relationship between him and top officials of Nigerian government.

But Orubebe claimed that the last time he made the trip to South Africa to see Okah was about five months ago as part government’s effort to plead with the militants to stop militancy and support the Jonathan Presidency.

Investigations and details from Okah’s bail hearing reveals a complex web of intrigue between Okah and top aides of President Goodluck Jonathan.

A source close to Okah’s family said that two weeks before the twin blasts to marred Nigeria’s 50th Independence Day celebrations, one of Jonathan’s closest confidants, Elder Godsday Orubebe, the Minister of Niger Delta paid a secret visit to Okah in South Africa.

The source said Orubebe made it abundantly clear he was there on behalf of Jonathan.

Orubebe was hosted to a dinner by Okah and his wife during which he allegedly told Okah that President Jonathan needed his assistance and cooperation for his presidential campaign. Okah and Jonathan are not strange bedfellows. They are both from Nigeria’s Bayelsa State.

In 2007, as Vice President, late President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua sent Jonathan to seek ways of ending the Niger Delta crisis with Okah in South Africa. However, Okah was arrested in Angola a few weeks later and extradited to Nigeria. Okah believes the visit by Jonathan was a setup and never forgave him for it.

When Okah’s case was settled and he was freed after a political arrangement was reached and Okah accepted “amnesty”, both men went their separate ways. When Jonathan became President at the death of Yar’Adua, he sought to renew his relationship with Okah and sent some of his trusted aides to him in South Africa but Okah allegedly rebuffed them.

However, Orubebe and another important adviser both with ties to Okah continued to ply pressure on the ex-rebel leader to work and cooperate with Jonathan.

As presidential politics kicked off, Jonathan decided it could no longer leave the issue of Okah unresolved and decided to dispatch Orubebe to South Africa to get his support.

On September 17, two weeks before the Abuja blasts, Orubebe traveled to South Africa and had dinner with him and his wife, Azuka, at his residence on September 18.

After dinner, a close family source said Okah dropped off Orubebe in his car at the popular Redeem Christian Church of God located at 118 Annie road, Randburg, South Africa.

During the visit, Orubebe stayed at the prestigious Southern Sun hotel on Katherine Street located in the heart of Sandton, Johannesburg’s premier business and financial hub. A mere 30 minutes’ from the O.R Tambo International Airport.

In a news article published on March 17th, 2008, in the Vanguard newspaper, Orubebe admitted that the then Vice President, Jonathan did travel to South Africa and met with Okah before he was arrested in Angola.

“Speaking in an interactive session with newsmen in Warri, Delta State, Elder Orubebe said the Vice President went to South Africa and met with Henry Okah just as he met with other persons that are supposed to be involved in the peace process in the region, asking, "If Vice President meets with you today and tomorrow, you have problem with the security agents, there is no way you will say that it is the Vice President that is behind it." The article said.

In court yesterday, Okah insisted he was “Trying terribly hard from embarrasing the Nigerian government” by not saying everything he knows to which the South Africa prosecutor retorted, “The only person you are embarrassing is yourself Mr. Okah”

Sources close to Okah’s family say he will pull everyone down if he opens his mouth. There is no doubt that top government officials pay him regular visits and sought his help to calm the region down.”

“The real fireworks will start when the case goes to trial and not the bail hearing. There is a reason government opted for a secret trial in 2008. If Okah talks heads will roll.” The source said.

Re: Tunde Bakare: We Were Not Bribed (It Was Transport Money) by Beaf: 9:18pm On Nov 30, 2010
I'm wondering if some people are now getting so desperate that they think this thread is about more lies on any unrelated topic. Chei! The truth is like juju, when it comes out strange men go mad! grin

violent:

I think you are forgetting that GEJ invited them. They didn't come off their own accord, therefore you would expect some help with their welfare, such as transport and accommodation, feeding etc.
Re: Tunde Bakare: We Were Not Bribed (It Was Transport Money) by Kobojunkie: 9:20pm On Nov 30, 2010
violent:

The same TRANSPORT MONEY that was later called TITHE and HOOKED to WIKILEAKS with invisible threads( I checked wikileaks and there are next to no mentions of Nigeria anywhere) . . . . ROFLMAO!!! I smell a rat . . . .
Re: Tunde Bakare: We Were Not Bribed (It Was Transport Money) by Abagworo(m): 9:23pm On Nov 30, 2010
Beaf:

I think you are forgetting that GEJ invited them. They didn't come off their own accord, therefore you would expect some help with their welfare, such as transport and accomodation, feeding etc.

This Orubebe is always a victim of negative accusations.His $50,000 transport offer comes nearly two months after being accused by Henry Okah of trying to bribe him to implicate Northerners in Abuja bombing.

To all wey sabi.Abeg make una give us the history of this Orubebe man.
Re: Tunde Bakare: We Were Not Bribed (It Was Transport Money) by Beaf: 9:25pm On Nov 30, 2010
^
People like you who are so desperate to smear others have no shame. What an immoral disgrace you are!
You can engage in all sorts of gutter tactics from now until you meet your payment. Its fine, good will always defeat evil.

See how shamelessly desperate you are! Poor sod!
Re: Tunde Bakare: We Were Not Bribed (It Was Transport Money) by BlackRevo: 9:33pm On Nov 30, 2010
I don't see any big deal about this gift after all touts visits tinubu and he gives them transport money.

Will you visit someone without them offering you tea or water or something? I visit people and they give you money to visits.

Youth and organizations visits companies and governors, they are always given compensation or appreciation for their visit.

So what is all these noise about and by the way the victim finally came out and said it was not a bribe . . . end of discussion.

Abeg make una no make me laugh ooooo. grin
Re: Tunde Bakare: We Were Not Bribed (It Was Transport Money) by Abagworo(m): 10:04pm On Nov 30, 2010
Could beaf be Orubebe?
Re: Tunde Bakare: We Were Not Bribed (It Was Transport Money) by Abagworo(m): 10:08pm On Nov 30, 2010
Revealed: Yar'Adua stunned as Jonathan, Orubebe feature on Tompolo's Blacklist

Ubiquitous on the Nigerian political scene; secretive and discreet even by Nigerian standards, vice president Jonathan Ebele Goodluck remains a political enigma. Little surprise therefore that his name featured prominently on the list of individuals funding the militant insurgency that has engulfed the Niger Delta region and threatens to escalate into full scale terrorism, despite an offer of amnesty by President Umaru Musa Yar'adua.

Also on the black-box list are various leading political and military figures including the Niger Delta Minister, Elder Godsday Urebebe who is in the penultimate stages of transferring his ministry from Abuja to offices in each of the nine states making up the Delta region.

http://www.thenigerianvoice.com/nvnews/844/16/revealed-yaradua-stunned-as-jonathan-orubebe-featu.html
Re: Tunde Bakare: We Were Not Bribed (It Was Transport Money) by violent(m): 10:10pm On Nov 30, 2010
I think you are forgetting that GEJ invited them. They didn't come off their own accord, therefore you would expect some help with their welfare, such as transport and accommodation, feeding etc

I do understand your position Mr Beaf, i was just wondering if the president extends the same courtesy to every t[i]i[/i]t, tat, and tatty tht vists his royal palace.

I also find it amusing that the President that officially earns  N3.51 million per year offers visitors "transport money" in the sum of 7 million. . . oh well, maybe I am just building a castle from an anthill. . .or maybe i just smell a rat {quoting kobojunkie}

Besides, can anyone please educate us on how bribes are offered to people? perhaps citing examples from history?. . ,  oh well, if anything, i am yet to see someone say exclusively to an individual or a group "take xyz amount, it's a bribe from me to you". . . .most times its always in the form of "transport money". . . ."money to buy biscuits for children". . ."christmas money". . ."shaving stick money" .etc etc.
Re: Tunde Bakare: We Were Not Bribed (It Was Transport Money) by Beaf: 10:17pm On Nov 30, 2010
^
We have only heard the figure of $50,000.00 from Sahara reporters. Have you heard Bakare mention such an amount? Even Bakare says they were offered transport fare, not given. So how did the $50,000.00 figure come about, if not malicious rumours?

Secondly, what makes you think any money GEJ gives out is from his salary? In govt positions all over the World, there is a security vote that officials can use for hospitality.

To close the argument, the $50,000.00 is from Sahara reporters. Lets be objective about a story that didn't add up from the outset, that where I stand.
Re: Tunde Bakare: We Were Not Bribed (It Was Transport Money) by Abagworo(m): 10:19pm On Nov 30, 2010
violent:

I do understand your position Mr Beaf, i was just wondering if the president extends the same courtesy to every t[i]i[/i]t, tat, and tatty tht vists his royal palace.

I also find it amusing that the President that officially earns  N3.51 million per year offers visitors "transport money" in the sum of 7 million. . . oh well, maybe I am just building a castle from an anthill. . .or maybe i just smell a rat {quoting kobojunkie}

Besides, can anyone please educate us on how bribes are offered to people? perhaps citing examples from history?. . ,  oh well, if anything, i am yet to see someone say exclusively to an individual or a group "take xyz amount, it's a bribe from me to you". . . .most times its always in the form of "transport money". . . ."money to buy biscuits for children". . ."christmas money". . ."shaving stick money" .etc etc.

The truth is that it is waste of time for you to argue with some biased people.Everyone knows that $50,000 is too much a sum fore mere transport but these people will try to justify it.
Re: Tunde Bakare: We Were Not Bribed (It Was Transport Money) by igbobuigbo: 10:21pm On Nov 30, 2010
Sahara Misreporters finally busted?
Re: Tunde Bakare: We Were Not Bribed (It Was Transport Money) by Kobojunkie: 10:27pm On Nov 30, 2010
violent:

Besides, can anyone please educate us on how bribes are offered to people? perhaps citing examples from history?. . ,  oh well, if anything, i am yet to see someone say exclusively to an individual or a group "take xyz amount, it's a bribe from me to you". . . .most times its always in the form of "transport money". . . ."money to buy biscuits for children". . ."christmas money". . . .etc etc.
It is not government’s place, even in Nigeria, to give anyone CASH TRANSPORT MONEY. It is against the Law, even in Nigeria. Any CASH GIFT of that sort is considered BRIBE if not handled according to the law, no matter what anyone wants to call it. So, I don’t see why you should worry yourself about this one.

When Government wants to makes donations or give gifts of any sort, it has to go through the right channel and it is obvious, this was not the case here, since even the aides were quick to deny the offering of any bribe. 

Aso Rock is nobody's father's house so as long as you are there, or having people there for official visits, it all has to be according to the law, not some goons/cultures idea of bribery as gift giving.
Re: Tunde Bakare: We Were Not Bribed (It Was Transport Money) by blacksta(m): 10:29pm On Nov 30, 2010
GEJ might have good intentions but unfortunately he has surrounded himself with crooks -  I repeat GEJ is not the messiah to solve Nigeria problems. The Demise of PDP is the beginning of hope for Nigeria
Re: Tunde Bakare: We Were Not Bribed (It Was Transport Money) by violent(m): 10:31pm On Nov 30, 2010
I love that stuff. . .the security vote thingy, it's the excuse our leaders have for bleeding the country to death. . .an unaudited, unaccounted amount without an exact value.

It would be recalled that one of the first rows between Governor Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State and the state House of Assembly shortly after he was sworn in was the accusation by the then Speaker of the House, against the governor of collecting N911 million as security votes between November 12, 2008 and December 31, 2008, a period of seven weeks. Garuba also alleged that the governor was constructing a swimming pool at the Government House for N200 million and painting the Government House at the cost of N600 million.

Now the President gives away transport money allegedly in a sum of over[b] 7 million naira[/b] to be charged on security votes!. . . . and the same nation keeps borrowing!

I dey laugh o. . .
Re: Tunde Bakare: We Were Not Bribed (It Was Transport Money) by BlackRevo: 10:35pm On Nov 30, 2010
Why don't you go and scrap security vote out of the budget or don't forget the hardship or entertainment allowance for the senators as well.

You guys don't know what is hitting you for that country . . . i dey laugh grin grin
Re: Tunde Bakare: We Were Not Bribed (It Was Transport Money) by Beaf: 10:39pm On Nov 30, 2010
violent:

I love that stuff. . .the security vote thingy, it's the excuse our leaders have for bleeding the country to death. . .an unaudited, unaccounted amount without an exact value.

It would be recalled that one of the first rows between Governor Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State and the state House of Assembly shortly after he was sworn in was the accusation by the then Speaker of the House, against the governor of collecting N911 million as security votes between November 12, 2008 and December 31, 2008, a period of seven weeks. Garuba also alleged that the governor was constructing a swimming pool at the Government House for N200 million and painting the Government House at the cost of N600 million.

Now the President gives away transport money allegedly in a sum of over[b] 7 million naira[/b] to be charged on security votes!. . . . and the same nation keeps borrowing!

I dey laugh o. . .

Dude, all govt accounts are audited, perhaps you don't know how these things work, even your manager at work has such a budget. Its pretty elementry really.
"A sum of over 7 million naira" I see you are happy to go with the Sahara Reporters beer palour story, so no point bandying angles with you.

Abeg, I'm going to chill jare, while you guys busy yourself with various rumour angles. This story is too ridiculous for my attention.
Re: Tunde Bakare: We Were Not Bribed (It Was Transport Money) by violent(m): 10:43pm On Nov 30, 2010
^^ actually that's why i wrote allegedly!  cheesy
Re: Tunde Bakare: We Were Not Bribed (It Was Transport Money) by blacksta(m): 10:46pm On Nov 30, 2010
This beaf dey annoy me sef  security vote my a ss    - I  have never seen an instance where someone will defend the indefensible.  It is total insanity to expect anything good to come out of evil PDP
Re: Tunde Bakare: We Were Not Bribed (It Was Transport Money) by Nobody: 11:04pm On Nov 30, 2010
$50, 000 thats N7.6m for transport?
Re: Tunde Bakare: We Were Not Bribed (It Was Transport Money) by SapeleGuy: 11:08pm On Nov 30, 2010
Did SNG trek to Aso Rock? Abi dem use okada?  Did they tell anyone they have no money to get back?
Let us learn to tell the truth, this behaviour is very very dodgy and a worrying development.
Re: Tunde Bakare: We Were Not Bribed (It Was Transport Money) by kmoneyE(m): 11:55pm On Nov 30, 2010
Nigerian version of[b] WIKKILEAKS[/b] grin cheesy
Re: Tunde Bakare: We Were Not Bribed (It Was Transport Money) by MaiSuya(m): 12:15am On Dec 01, 2010
na wa O! this bribery episode is really becoming else.
Re: Tunde Bakare: We Were Not Bribed (It Was Transport Money) by presido1: 12:49am On Dec 01, 2010
$50k for transport? shocked grin grin , may be they want to go right round the world 10 times before getting to Lagos or wherever they came from.

@ Beaf

When Sahara report in favour GJ they are credible but when against they become bear parlour. You are proving IBB right with his "Nigerian Youths are not ready yet" mantra.
Re: Tunde Bakare: We Were Not Bribed (It Was Transport Money) by Nobody: 7:31am On Dec 01, 2010
i dont even trust this SNG. how can they save nigeria when they are supporting buhari
Re: Tunde Bakare: We Were Not Bribed (It Was Transport Money) by Nobody: 7:50am On Dec 01, 2010
50 000 dollars for transport ? I now know why our federation and excess crude account are diminishing so fast.
While other countries are tighting their belt financially,our own na loot loot loot.what an extravagant president !
Re: Tunde Bakare: We Were Not Bribed (It Was Transport Money) by Nobody: 8:20am On Dec 01, 2010
$50k for transport! Are Bakare and co transporting to the Moon?
Re: Tunde Bakare: We Were Not Bribed (It Was Transport Money) by oisehumen(m): 11:49am On Dec 01, 2010
So many people here have no biz being here, honestly.
We have all read Bakare's side of the story.
Where did he mention $50,000?? Sahara Reporters have a 'reputation' of falsehood, this is not the first time they will be carrying fake rumours all around.

You guys should please, be objective and straight forward abeg.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ebonyi Political History. Afikpo Are Not Abakaliki. Afikpo Fake Igbo / 'O TO GE' Movement Will Send Saraki Into Political Oblivion By Abdulrazaq Hamzat / Kano APC Crisis: Supreme Court To Deliver Judgement On Friday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.