Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,229 members, 7,818,774 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:32 AM

Bashir Magashi Named In $550,000 Fund Diversion, Buhari Silent - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bashir Magashi Named In $550,000 Fund Diversion, Buhari Silent (40948 Views)

DSS Detains Wale Adedayo, Ogun LG Chairman Who Accused Abiodun Of Fund Diversion / Attahiru Burial: "HEARTLESS Felt Condolences" - Bashir Magashi, Defence Minister / Bashir Magashi Stole From Nigeria. Now, A Minister In Buhari’s Cabinet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bashir Magashi Named In $550,000 Fund Diversion, Buhari Silent by dre11(m): 6:37am On Dec 30, 2019
Buhari Silent As Defence Minister Is Named In $550,000 Fund Diversion

President Muhammadu Buhari came under heavy criticism yesterday for his failure to act in the alleged indictment of his Minister of Defence, Bashir Magashi, for a $550,000 security fund diversion. Presidential spokesman, Garba Shehu deflected response on the allegation to the office of the Minister of Defence when The Guardian sought the presidency’s reaction on the matter.

Against a groundswell of allegations of cherry-picking on whom to prosecute in his anti-corruption offensive, Buhari is now directly fingered for shielding Magashi, who is accused of stealing and shipping $550,000 from the nation’s treasury to an offshore account. Magashi has been called out to explain his role in the slush amount he received from the infamous ‘Abacha loot’ estimated by Transparency International to be at least $5 billion, out of which $3 billion has been recovered.

Nigerians are incensed that Buhari still ignores the findings in the report. The president’s indisposition to bringing his key appointees to account came to the fore as Shehu maintained that it was not within his purview to respond to everything. “Direct your question to the man (Minister of Defence),” he told The Guardian when asked to respond to this latest allegation against his principal’s defence chief.

A leading online Nigerian newspaper provided more insight to corruption in the Buhari administration as it spotted what appears to be at odds with the administration’s sworn mandate to tackle corruption. It noted that it has been 123 days since Magashi was exposed as having been indicted for stealing and shipping abroad about $550,000 from the nation’s treasury. Yet, Buhari has failed to take action on the indictment.

The newspaper had on August 28 exclusively reported how Magashi, a retired major general, while in service, got a slice of the infamous ‘Abacha Loot.’ The Buhari government has since benefitted from several millions of dollars in returned funds from countries where the money was hidden. At the time, a presidency official, who asked not to be named because he had no permission to grant media interviews, said: “I can tell you that there is no way the president would have ignored that kind of matter to appoint him if he were made aware.”

But 123 days after, many Nigerians feel embarrassed that the president still ignores the findings in the report. Even when the newspaper contacted Garba Shehu before it went public with the report, he did not answer or return multiple calls and text messages sent over two days on why the president had not taken a stance on the allegations.

The silence of Buhari and his inner cabinet is already being interpreted as consistent with the administration’s policy of selective justice. Even critical government agencies which provide background information like the Department of State Services (DSS) have been fingered for turning a blind eye to Magashi’s alleged corrupt past before the Senate confirmed him.

While the presidency is taking a bashing for its allegedly choosy anti-corruption battle, the Civil Liberties Organisation (CLO) described Buhari as a leader who fights corruption with two different boxing gloves.

Ibuchukwu Ezike, CLO Executive Director told The Guardian yesterday that Nigeria will not win the anti-corruption war with a leader like Buhari who still thinks like a clan leader.

Also, a Warri-based lawyer, Otome Adamidenyo, was emphatic that the administration can only convince Nigerians it is committed to wiping out corruption by looking inwards and bringing to justice members of the Buhari inner circle involved in fleecing the country. On his part, Executive Director, Association of Media Practitioners Against Corruption and Instability (AMPACI), Ayodele Johnson, tasked Buhari to do more to restore public confidence in the anti-corruption battle. “It’s not enough to yell at public gatherings that the government is fighting corruption. Let Buhari arrest and prosecute his appointees indicted for stealing public funds,” said Johnson.

https://m.guardian.ng/news/buhari-silent-as-defence-minister-is-named-in-550000-fund-diversion/

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Bashir Magashi Named In $550,000 Fund Diversion, Buhari Silent by crownwealth: 6:38am On Dec 30, 2019
Major General M. Buharin is supervising the highest corruption ever in Nigeria political landscape.

Posterity will surely not be kind to his highest attitude of “Holier-than-thou”.

Corruption in Nigeria have now been more institutionalized and integrated into our governance, no thanks to the failed Major General with highest level of cluelessness of modern day governance.

You guys should ask Major General Buharin to account for all the billions of dollars released to fight Boko Haram since 2015.

Similarly, Buratai was part of those supervising procurement of military hardwares during GEJ’s time and was accused of massive corruption, including buying choice properties in Dubai. Yet, Major General Buharin could not prosecute him. Why?

So, Buharin’s fight against kworuption is indeed a hoax and nothing but smoke screen.

Buharin, fantastically kworupt President in Nigeria history!

133 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Bashir Magashi Named In $550,000 Fund Diversion, Buhari Silent by nakaman: 6:41am On Dec 30, 2019
what does he have to say, it's his crew

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bashir Magashi Named In $550,000 Fund Diversion, Buhari Silent by Nobody: 6:43am On Dec 30, 2019
When I speak the truth, some irresponsible moronic zombies will call me "Mr Hater"

Some of them will send me a PM to insult me.

Like I have always said, Baba lifeless is good at shielding his corrupt friends and knows how to pay deaf ears to any criticism in that regards.

I am finding it strange how a supposed "giant of Africa" will be fooled by one lanky daura drunkard with his "anti-corruption sermon" when himself is an epitome of corruption.

The shielding of Bashir Magashi by the retired daura drunkard is not the first and it won't be the last.

Major Gen. Buhari (rtd) is a corrupt beast.... You can quote me anywhere, I am not afraid to say the truth..... I am only afraid of those zombies who'll see gross stupidity and impunity from their daura lord and saviour and pretend they see nothing.

162 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Bashir Magashi Named In $550,000 Fund Diversion, Buhari Silent by Nwodosis(m): 6:44am On Dec 30, 2019
Insecticide and Deodorant format of fighting corruption by Buhari.

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bashir Magashi Named In $550,000 Fund Diversion, Buhari Silent by GOFRONT(m): 6:45am On Dec 30, 2019
This is Nigeria...
Re: Bashir Magashi Named In $550,000 Fund Diversion, Buhari Silent by helinues: 6:47am On Dec 30, 2019
shocked shocked

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bashir Magashi Named In $550,000 Fund Diversion, Buhari Silent by yenereal(m): 6:50am On Dec 30, 2019
cheesy
Re: Bashir Magashi Named In $550,000 Fund Diversion, Buhari Silent by Flyingngel(m): 6:52am On Dec 30, 2019
why shldnt he be silent when he is fighting one sided corruption war. You will hear his supporters talking abt Kalu imprisonment but what they don't know is that Kalu step was building himself for 2023 which some Southeastern Apc members we're not happy.

12 Likes

Re: Bashir Magashi Named In $550,000 Fund Diversion, Buhari Silent by GamalNasser: 7:00am On Dec 30, 2019
I remain adamant that Major General Buhari is the most corrupt Nigerian ever born ,infact It's Buhari that is responsible for the prevalence of corruption in Nigeria after his coup plot against Shagari.

34 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Bashir Magashi Named In $550,000 Fund Diversion, Buhari Silent by crownwealth: 7:02am On Dec 30, 2019
GamalNasser:
I remain adamant that Major General Buhari is the most corrupt Nigerian ever born ,infact It's Buhari that is responsible for the prevalence of corruption in Nigeria after his coup plot against Shagari.

The coup plotter is extremely kworupt, ever since his days in PTF.

He uses cronies to loot while claiming saint.

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Bashir Magashi Named In $550,000 Fund Diversion, Buhari Silent by Nobody: 7:02am On Dec 30, 2019
shocked

Please is Gen. Buhari still fighting corruption

8 Likes

Re: Bashir Magashi Named In $550,000 Fund Diversion, Buhari Silent by crownwealth: 7:03am On Dec 30, 2019
helinues:
Ok

Let see your defense to the ‘fantastically kworupt regime’

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bashir Magashi Named In $550,000 Fund Diversion, Buhari Silent by Nobody: 7:07am On Dec 30, 2019
Someday another govt will come and expose the damage done by Buhari and fellow marauders.

38 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Bashir Magashi Named In $550,000 Fund Diversion, Buhari Silent by hisgrace090: 7:21am On Dec 30, 2019
As usual he will say nothing while Garba shehu will rant.

9 Likes

Re: Bashir Magashi Named In $550,000 Fund Diversion, Buhari Silent by clarocuzioo(m): 7:35am On Dec 30, 2019
Where's the ZOMBIE -in-CHIEF .

Come and disgrace your generation defending this disaster of a government.

I have said it and I say it again, corruption fighting in this administration is a ruse, when this regime ends, we will see that corruption has become official in this regime.

What happened to Babachir Lawal case? The man is living large, enjoying his loot.

What about the $25M dollars contract scam Ibe kaichukwu mentioned? Till date nothing was done about it.
Who owns the money found in Ikoyi house ?
A president that claims it is fighting corruption approved #37B for renovation of the National Assembly complex.

These administration reeks of looting all round, unfortunately their e-diots come here daily to disturb the peace of the Cyber space with heir anti corruption stance.

They can only fool their paid miscrants and not sensible and patriotic Nigerians.
Kwaraption phiter indeed.

43 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Bashir Magashi Named In $550,000 Fund Diversion, Buhari Silent by elchariotlp: 7:41am On Dec 30, 2019
I dont even have anything to say again.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bashir Magashi Named In $550,000 Fund Diversion, Buhari Silent by nwamabo247(m): 7:48am On Dec 30, 2019
I belong to no body and I belong to every body is that statement still valid

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bashir Magashi Named In $550,000 Fund Diversion, Buhari Silent by imiski(m): 8:20am On Dec 30, 2019
Bmc where ona dey?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bashir Magashi Named In $550,000 Fund Diversion, Buhari Silent by aolawale025: 8:20am On Dec 30, 2019
Some high-level scams

5 Likes

Re: Bashir Magashi Named In $550,000 Fund Diversion, Buhari Silent by slimfit1(m): 8:35am On Dec 30, 2019
They are preparing to divide this country they are storing funds away for Arewa republic. Buhari is a big thief that uses other people to keep funds. He will answer questions after 2023 how he managed to keep quiet.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bashir Magashi Named In $550,000 Fund Diversion, Buhari Silent by dammieco(m): 8:42am On Dec 30, 2019

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bashir Magashi Named In $550,000 Fund Diversion, Buhari Silent by Nobody: 8:42am On Dec 30, 2019
grin

Again the one sided nepotic government has s exposed for the sham it is

I rest my.noodles

5 Likes

Re: Bashir Magashi Named In $550,000 Fund Diversion, Buhari Silent by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:42am On Dec 30, 2019
EFCC over to you guys.

Keep up the good job Mr Magu.

We believe and trust you to do justice to all matters of corruption in our nation.

Nigeria must be great again.

All looters must perish after we collect back our yams from their throat......

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bashir Magashi Named In $550,000 Fund Diversion, Buhari Silent by Roon9(m): 8:43am On Dec 30, 2019
Lols
Re: Bashir Magashi Named In $550,000 Fund Diversion, Buhari Silent by Bossontop(m): 8:43am On Dec 30, 2019
undecided
D general ryt now......

1 Like

Re: Bashir Magashi Named In $550,000 Fund Diversion, Buhari Silent by gurunlocker: 8:43am On Dec 30, 2019
grin
Re: Bashir Magashi Named In $550,000 Fund Diversion, Buhari Silent by Afolabimills(m): 8:44am On Dec 30, 2019
crownwealth:
Major General M. Buharin is supervising the highest corruption ever in Nigeria political landscape.

Posterity will surely not be kind to his highest attitude of “Holier-than-thou”.

Corruption in Nigeria have now been more institutionalized and integrated into our governance, no thanks to the failed Major General with highest level of cluelessness of modern day governance.

You guys should ask Major General Buharin to account for all the billions of dollars released to fight Boko Haram since 2015.

Similarly, Buratai was part of those supervising procurement of military hardwares during GEJ’s time and was accused of massive corruption, including buying choice properties in Dubai. Yet, Major General Buharin could not prosecute him. Why?

So, Buharin’s fight against kworuption is indeed a hoax and nothing but smoke screen.

Buharin, fantastically kworupt President in Nigeria history!
the general n his hordes of thieves n zombies

5 Likes

Re: Bashir Magashi Named In $550,000 Fund Diversion, Buhari Silent by Nobody: 8:44am On Dec 30, 2019
It's the way of government in Nigeria....ignore corruption when it affects you.

3 Likes

Re: Bashir Magashi Named In $550,000 Fund Diversion, Buhari Silent by Nobody: 8:44am On Dec 30, 2019
If you are a Muslim, you are protected from all charges.
Moreover, Christians are never appointed to any juicy position in this administration,it's an unwritten rule angry angry angry

8 Likes

Re: Bashir Magashi Named In $550,000 Fund Diversion, Buhari Silent by Masama: 8:44am On Dec 30, 2019
fantastically corrupt government

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Osun 2022: Dele Adeleke Withdraws From PDP Governorship Race, Reveals Reason / 2face: Leave Buhari Alone, Hold Your Governors, Reps & Senators Accountable / Half-Unclad Women Protest In Kaduna Against Killings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.