Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,200 members, 7,811,529 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:55 PM

Whatsapp Is About To Stop Working On Windows And Some Android/ios Phones - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Whatsapp Is About To Stop Working On Windows And Some Android/ios Phones (45591 Views)

Voicenote On Whatsapp Is The Worst Invention / Whatsapp Is Temporarily Banning ‘gbwhatsapp’ Users / Top 3 Features In Iphone X Which Some Android Users Wished They Had (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whatsapp Is About To Stop Working On Windows And Some Android/ios Phones by gcey2k(m): 12:48am On Jan 02, 2020
A major update to WhatsApp means the world’s most popular messaging app is about to stop working on millions of phones around the world.

From 1 January, anyone using Windows phones will no longer be able to access the Facebook-owned app, while people running older versions of Android or iOS will lose support at the end of January.

WhatsApp said blocking certain mobile operating systems from using the app was necessary in order to ensure the security of its users.

“Because we no longer actively develop for these operating systems, some features might stop functioning at any time,” WhatsApp wrote in a series of posts to its website.

“For the best experience, we recommend you use the latest version of iOS [or Android] available for your phone.”

Android phones running an older version of 2.33 – also known as Gingerbread – will lose support, as well as iPhone owners that use iOS 8 or earlier.

Anyone affected by this will be unable to create a new account, as well as being blocked from their existing accounts.

Apple released iOS 8 in 2014, meaning anyone with an iPhone 6 or newer will be spared from the purge. iOS 8 is compatible with the iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c and iPhone 5s, so owners of these phones are advised to update their devices if they have not done so already.

For owners of Android handsets, which represent the majority of WhatsApp users, the situation is slightly more complicated.

Android Gingerbread came out in 2010, so every single Google, Huawei, Samsung and Sony smartphone of the last decade is safe. However, certain models released before 2010 will also be safe, so long as they are updated to the latest version available to them.

Anyone with a Windows phone who wishes to save their chat histories before the deadline will be able to do so by selecting ‘Export chat’ within the each chat’s settings.
Source: https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/whatsapp-update-latest-iphone-android-version-ios-not-working-a9265206.html?amp

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Whatsapp Is About To Stop Working On Windows And Some Android/ios Phones by LordviccoDaGuru(m): 9:48am On Jan 02, 2020
WhatsApp is about to stop working or it has already stop working on those phones?

see how you misled everything WhstsApp said after 31st December 2019 now u are bringing this fake news to extend it till January ending.

they are some particular phones that will end support by January ending but here u just misled everything. Don't you know some phones stop accusing WhatsApp day before yesterday??

All these chop and give bloggers kai, na woo.

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Whatsapp Is About To Stop Working On Windows And Some Android/ios Phones by tolumizzy(m): 10:01am On Jan 02, 2020
Re: Whatsapp Is About To Stop Working On Windows And Some Android/ios Phones by solsticey2k3(m): 10:02am On Jan 02, 2020
Hmmm undecided

This has been long awaited

2 Likes

Re: Whatsapp Is About To Stop Working On Windows And Some Android/ios Phones by Ohaneze1: 10:03am On Jan 02, 2020
Ok
Re: Whatsapp Is About To Stop Working On Windows And Some Android/ios Phones by luvkidtemmy(m): 10:03am On Jan 02, 2020
Re: Whatsapp Is About To Stop Working On Windows And Some Android/ios Phones by oshe11: 10:04am On Jan 02, 2020
Whatsapp was IT until Twitter took over thanks to Tacha
Re: Whatsapp Is About To Stop Working On Windows And Some Android/ios Phones by GoodBoi1(m): 10:04am On Jan 02, 2020
It seems WhatsApp has the power to kill market for some phones

6 Likes

Re: Whatsapp Is About To Stop Working On Windows And Some Android/ios Phones by ostechno(m): 10:04am On Jan 02, 2020
They've been saying that for over 5 years now

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whatsapp Is About To Stop Working On Windows And Some Android/ios Phones by Egoveen: 10:04am On Jan 02, 2020
WhatsApp is an outdated,old model means of communication.... Ara gbachipukwa WhatsApp nti,i will go back to 2go I swear:@ Ndi ara.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whatsapp Is About To Stop Working On Windows And Some Android/ios Phones by biosystech: 10:04am On Jan 02, 2020
Very true. I was given an extension till the 14th Jan save all data on WhatsApp.

I still use a windows phone, a lumia 930 precisely.

ostechno:
They've been saying that for over 5 years now
Nope. Mine started since last year July after Instagram and Facebook stopped working.

6 Likes

Re: Whatsapp Is About To Stop Working On Windows And Some Android/ios Phones by dalass(f): 10:04am On Jan 02, 2020
sad
Re: Whatsapp Is About To Stop Working On Windows And Some Android/ios Phones by RapistOnBail: 10:04am On Jan 02, 2020
Since WhatsApp won't be working on less Android phones and cracked Windows,

I would be selling my Samsung s6 edge to the less Android users who wish to continue their daily businesses on WhatsApp. You can DM for price.

1 Like

Re: Whatsapp Is About To Stop Working On Windows And Some Android/ios Phones by realwiz1(m): 10:05am On Jan 02, 2020
Re: Whatsapp Is About To Stop Working On Windows And Some Android/ios Phones by kandral: 10:05am On Jan 02, 2020
Does Android phone running below version 4 still exist?

2 Likes

Re: Whatsapp Is About To Stop Working On Windows And Some Android/ios Phones by realwiz1(m): 10:06am On Jan 02, 2020
Does it affect my Nokia torch grin

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Whatsapp Is About To Stop Working On Windows And Some Android/ios Phones by Richnero(m): 10:06am On Jan 02, 2020
Are people still using android version 2.33 phones?
Re: Whatsapp Is About To Stop Working On Windows And Some Android/ios Phones by Nobody: 10:07am On Jan 02, 2020
Now they got you hooked on the app, get ready to pay for it; proof positive that altruism is as alien to the Caucasian races as logic is to the black man grin

1 Like

Re: Whatsapp Is About To Stop Working On Windows And Some Android/ios Phones by lyriclekidd(m): 10:08am On Jan 02, 2020
Ok
Re: Whatsapp Is About To Stop Working On Windows And Some Android/ios Phones by Femich18(m): 10:08am On Jan 02, 2020
Hmmmmm
Re: Whatsapp Is About To Stop Working On Windows And Some Android/ios Phones by dangoteinlaw: 10:08am On Jan 02, 2020
Who still uses those phones? Thats how even iPhone 7 users will be hyping themselves "iOS gang". Any iPhone with home button is out of town!!

8 Likes

Re: Whatsapp Is About To Stop Working On Windows And Some Android/ios Phones by Celense(m): 10:08am On Jan 02, 2020
Are you serious?
Re: Whatsapp Is About To Stop Working On Windows And Some Android/ios Phones by Kenny9857(m): 10:09am On Jan 02, 2020
Accessing not accusing bro
LordviccoDaGuru:
WhatsApp is about to stop working or it has already stop working on those phones?

see how you misled everything WhstsApp said after 31st December 2019 now u are bringing this fake news to extend it till January ending.

they are some particular phones that will end support by January ending but here u just misled everything. Don't you know some phones stop accusing WhatsApp day before yesterday??

All these chop and give bloggers kai, na woo.

6 Likes

Re: Whatsapp Is About To Stop Working On Windows And Some Android/ios Phones by SolarKing1: 10:10am On Jan 02, 2020
Up Oppo! grin
Xiaomi chickens can choke now that OPPO is taking over! Oppo A9 2020 with whipping 8GB RAM, 128GB ROM, 5,000mah Battery, etc. for just 82k. Xiaomi better produce similar specs for same affordable price if they want to hold the massive market in 2020.

11 Likes

Re: Whatsapp Is About To Stop Working On Windows And Some Android/ios Phones by Nobody: 10:11am On Jan 02, 2020
Takeit2017:
Happy new year

Am David, 20years old, a computer literate and a blogger currently working in a cafe situate, lying, and being at ibeju-Lekki Lagos
Am the only one proving for my family with my hard earned 25000 monthly salary every month i stop working last two months because I had to go and take care of my mom in the village for personal reasons which almost emptied my life savings now am planning on starting a passport photograph business in my v illage after I have gathered I will come back to Lagos to start my hustling again and I don't have enough savings cus of wat happened. Just hoping on God right now

Thanks
u r welcome

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why You Should Use Only The Left Ear To Answer Phone Calls / Best Phone Camera According To Latest Research / What Else Do You Do With Your phone Apart From These Things?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.