Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,222 members, 7,829,371 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:27 AM

Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding (63308 Views)

Mutant, One-Eyed Albino Baby Shark Found In Indonesia (Pictures) / Orangutan Who Lost Both Arms Learns To Survive In The Jungle In Indonesia / Crocodile In Indonesia Has Tyre Around Its Neck, Cash Reward For Who Removes It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by Dogalmighty17: 9:48pm On Jan 03, 2020
Cloud seeding is a technique that involves the use of chemicals finely dispersed thousands of feet up in the atmosphere to create rain and as it is in this case, stop the formation of clouds. It is a pretty old technology. The chemical used to cause rain is usually some compound of silver.

dominique:
What is cloud seeding? Try and reattach the photos properly
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by Dellfoam(m): 9:48pm On Jan 03, 2020
At least, they are okay now! Thank God
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by dayveed1(m): 9:51pm On Jan 03, 2020
KingAzubuike:
And some Nigerians here will be claiming they can use juju to stop and create rain. We always tell theme juju doesn't exist but they wouldn't wanna believe.
OK if Juju doesn't exist.. So why are people being kidnapped for rituals? I think somehow Juju /dark magic/ witchcraft exist.. I'm just trying to understand.

1 Like

Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by Stevewonder004(m): 9:52pm On Jan 03, 2020
May God not allow us to see evil but i fear for lagos in the nearest future, this should serve as a warning to be ready by so many other countries. God bless Nigeria, my only known home country.
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by KingAzubuike(f): 9:54pm On Jan 03, 2020
Slynation:

When my cousin bro was doing his tradition marriage on a very sunny afternoon around December 28th 3yrs ago, some men came to us (Rain makers) & demanded we pay them or they will send down heavy rainfall to scatter everything.... People like you thought it was a joke including myself, until heavy black cloud gathered around us within 15minx, all of a sudden it started drizzling, we had to negotiate & we settled the case amicably with 10K...after that, about 5minx later the day became bright and sunny again, so if this is not voodoo i don't know what else to call it....

Oga this nonsense has been debunked severally. It's a simple high school scientifical technique. .. they burn a particular specie of tree whose secret they pass down from father to son coz they don't want anyone to know. The tree contains SILVER IODIDE or POTASSIUM IODIDE as part of the chemical properties. Silver iodide and potassium iodide induces nucleation and acts as a surface conducive for condensation to occur which then turns to precipitation. It's just simple physics but you illiterates wouldn't wanna agree. That's why they only perform this during rainy season.. go do am for dry season to test the potency of your so called juju

3 Likes

Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by blowjohn(m): 9:55pm On Jan 03, 2020
beylinko:
ok. hopefully it works for them. we are battling with harmattan here o. Abeg what's the way forward?

Bush burning seeding.
By using fire, heat is expended into the air with resultant increase in temperature. A reference to Dalton's atomic theory.

1 Like

Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by rerhji(m): 9:55pm On Jan 03, 2020
dominique:

I've googled it. Should they not be preventing rainfall rather than induce it?
they probably release the cloud condensation nuclei (NACL) in a place away from where the storm cells are...so de tends to draw the water vapour away from the already flooded area
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by Josh44s(m): 9:56pm On Jan 03, 2020
kingreign:

NaCl (sodium chloride aka common table salt) is hygroscopic, meaning it absorb moisture from its surrounding and from the atmosphere around it. The knowledge of this property of salt is what is used to 'seed cloud', cloud seeding is a process of spraying chemicals usually NaCl into the atmosphere to absorb atmospheric precipitation. This will induce changes in rainfall or snowfall pattern and time.

Previously, Silver iodide or potassium iodide etc were used for this purpose.

I just want to ask one very important question. What are the disadvantages be use I know it will be very disastrous.
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by blowjohn(m): 9:56pm On Jan 03, 2020
KingAzubuike:

Oga this nonsense has been debunked severally. It's a simple high school scientifical technique. .. they burn a particular specie of tree whose secret they pass down from father to son coz they don't want anyone to know. The tree contains SILVER IODIDE or POTASSIUM IODIDE as part of the chemical properties. Silver iodide and potassium iodide induces nucleation and acts as a surface conducive for condensation to occur which then turns to precipitation. It's just simple physics but you illiterates wouldn't wanna agree. That's why they only perform this during rainy season.. go do am for dry season to test the potency of your so called juju

So, how many of such trees do they need to burn? Or they just burn one tree and the whole area dries up?
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by Nobody: 10:01pm On Jan 03, 2020
Okoroawusa:

What is the matter with you people?

Leave the country for others if u r tired of it.
Come carry me na
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by Respect55(m): 10:01pm On Jan 03, 2020
kingreign:

NaCl (sodium chloride aka common table salt) is hygroscopic, meaning it absorb moisture from its surrounding and from the atmosphere around it. The knowledge of this property of salt is what is used to 'seed cloud', cloud seeding is a process of spraying chemicals usually NaCl into the atmosphere to absorb atmospheric precipitation. This will induce changes in rainfall or snowfall pattern and time.

God bless you
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by ehissi(m): 10:05pm On Jan 03, 2020
Macsjebs:

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-50981453

Hmmmmm! Cloud seeding! Geo engineering at its best......
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by Fabkimzzy1: 10:11pm On Jan 03, 2020
But Insertion or application of hygroscopic substances into the atmosphere will rather increase the precipitation level instead of decreasing it because hygroscopic substances act as condensation nuclei
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by Nobody: 10:16pm On Jan 03, 2020
dominique:

I've googled it. Should they not be preventing rainfall rather than induce it?

That would make the rain fail early rather allowing full condensation
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by DerickCO(m): 10:18pm On Jan 03, 2020
Chei!

Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by valentineuwakwe(m): 10:25pm On Jan 03, 2020
if it is in Nigeria now, they would have gone to consult one Oracle that will tell them its the sins of there ancestors that is causing the flood, hence they must appease the gods....
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by kingreign(m): 10:32pm On Jan 03, 2020
Chatbot1234:

are you a chemist ?

No, I'm an environmentalist, but I studied chemistry in elementary school.
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by AfroKnight: 10:35pm On Jan 03, 2020
So the terraforming we saw in Superman is taking place Live!

What a time to be alive.

RIP to the departed.
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by Fabkimzzy1: 10:36pm On Jan 03, 2020
kingreign:

Insertion of hygroscopic substance into the atmosphere will rather increase the precipitation level instead of decreasing it because hygroscopic substances act as condensation nuclei in the atmosphere. Hygroscopic substances are similar to aerosols in the atmosphere where atmospheric water vapour condenses

1 Like

Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by kingxsamz(m): 10:37pm On Jan 03, 2020
In my country, you can stop the rain with just 5k.

Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by sotall(m): 10:38pm On Jan 03, 2020
kingreign:

Lemme explain further. When the atmosphere becomes laden with evaporated moisture and the clouds becomes heavy and dense, they fall off as rainfall/precipitation. Now, NaCl being hygroscopic draws atmospheric humidity and this will cause the sky around the region where the 'seeding' occurs to become dense and heavy thus bringing down precipitation or (rainfall/snowfall).

Scientists playing God albeit, foolishly.

You are the one not understanding it objectively.

Seeding as a solution in this case is a last resort to help stop further flooding and increasing water levels in the area.

The seeding will not be done in Jarkata. It will be done wherever the wind is carrying rain clouds towards Jarkata. That way they induce it to fall before it gets to Jarkata.

2 Likes

Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by kingxsamz(m): 10:40pm On Jan 03, 2020
Slynation:

When my cousin bro was doing his tradition marriage on a very sunny afternoon around December 28th 3yrs ago, some men came to us (Rain makers) & demanded we pay them or they will send down heavy rainfall to scatter everything.... People like you thought it was a joke including myself, until heavy black cloud gathered around us within 15minx, all of a sudden it started drizzling, we had to negotiate & we settled the case amicably with 10K...after that, about 5minx later the day became bright and sunny again, so if this is not voodoo i don't know what else to call it....

The belief of nonsense makes one dumb, and decreases one's ability to reason logically.
That was the case of you and your 'cousin bro'.
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by Ayobami7(m): 10:45pm On Jan 03, 2020
eyaah
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by kingxsamz(m): 10:45pm On Jan 03, 2020
ifeanyija:
juju exist oo, except u re saying God don't exist, if God exist den Satan exist

Smh, this one probably thinks everyone is a Christian, or into his religion.

Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by urchcoded(m): 10:50pm On Jan 03, 2020
engrchykae:
but whenever the rain must fall,we must have lots of salts being washed down,hcl,and compounds of na.
Nature should be allowed to take it's course.
When the rain finally falls, every metallic surface is exposed to attack
I don't think so
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by ifeanyija(m): 10:51pm On Jan 03, 2020
kingxsamz:

what do u believe in?
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by Slynation(m): 10:54pm On Jan 03, 2020
kingxsamz:

The belief of nonsense makes one dumb, and decreases one's ability to reason logically.
I don't have strength to type, I hear you sir....Magana yakari ko?? torr!!
#Atheist are the worst set of people to converse with, Topics like this, to them "food is ready'

1 Like

Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by kingxsamz(m): 10:57pm On Jan 03, 2020
dayveed1:
OK if Juju doesn't exist.. So why are people being kidnapped for rituals? I think somehow Juju /dark magic/ witchcraft exist.. I'm just trying to understand.

People believe such crap exist because that's what they've been brainwashed to believe.
They grew up into it.
If we can eradicate such senseless belief, trust me, the rate of kidnapping and ritual killing would be on the low.
Think about it, this is the age of technology, the age where every little thing is being recorded on camera, yet there's still no sound proof of the existence of juju or dark magic.
Juju exists yet there's no way it has contributed positively to this country.
Juju exists, yet the white men came in and took our brothers.
Guy think deep and don't believe everything you were told while growing up.

OK if Juju doesn't exist.. So why are people being kidnapped for rituals?

If the 72 virgins in heaven doesn't exist, why are these terrorists blowing themselves up in order to get rewarded in heaven?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by doggedfighter(f): 10:58pm On Jan 03, 2020
kingxsamz:

They may be graduates but fooled by illitrate villagers. Here he is praising and announcing rubbish
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by doggedfighter(f): 10:58pm On Jan 03, 2020
kingxsamz:

Imagine such nonsense grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Photos As Recaptured Kano Lion Returns To Cage / Nigerian Man Builds "Helicopter" In Oyo (photos) / Angry Elephant Attacks Jumbo Sculpture After Thinking It’s A Love Rival(Pix,vid)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.