Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,475 members, 7,830,390 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:54 PM

Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding - Science/Technology (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding (63318 Views)

Mutant, One-Eyed Albino Baby Shark Found In Indonesia (Pictures) / Orangutan Who Lost Both Arms Learns To Survive In The Jungle In Indonesia / Crocodile In Indonesia Has Tyre Around Its Neck, Cash Reward For Who Removes It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by kingxsamz(m): 11:00pm On Jan 03, 2020
Slynation:

I don't have strength to type, I hear you sir....Magana yakari ko?? torr!!
# Atheist are the worst set of people to converse with , Topics like this, to them "food is ready'

I'm not an atheist, never said I was.

They're are the worst to you because they keep proving you wrong.
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by Ken4Christ: 11:00pm On Jan 03, 2020
Signs of the end time. Repent and accept Jesus as your Lord and Saviour. We are living in perilous time.
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by kingxsamz(m): 11:02pm On Jan 03, 2020
doggedfighter:

They may be graduates but fooled by illitrate villagers. Here he is praising and announcing rubbish

Asin eh, the thing tire me. grin
See how ordinary villagers used brain to scam them of 10k.
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by Slynation(m): 11:15pm On Jan 03, 2020
kingxsamz:

I'm not an atheist, never said I was.

They're are the worst to you because they keep proving you wrong.
Prove me wrong in what ways?? grin I have seen the manifestation of God's works around me, I know the importance and the powers of prayers, so I'm not moved by their wordings about the evolution of bible, just that somethings about the mystery surrounding life are better left unsaid...

There is power from above and power from beneath, you are free to believe whatever u want to believe in!! After all, we all came into this world incognito
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by Isoduwa(m): 11:16pm On Jan 03, 2020
gideonite98:
Nice move by their government

Thank God say no be naija

Of course Buhari will run away to his second country called united kingdom

1 Like

Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by anochuko01(m): 11:18pm On Jan 03, 2020
Altrarecords:
I was touched by the baby pic

Really sad coming to this world in such a state
You sure say that man care?
As long as he gets food and diapers are changed at the right time, Na flexing him dey.
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by kingreign(m): 11:21pm On Jan 03, 2020
sotall:

You are the one not understanding it objectively.

Seeding as a solution in this case is a last resort to help stop further flooding and increasing water levels in the area.

The seeding will not be done in Jarkata. It will be done wherever the wind is carrying rain clouds towards Jarkata. That way they induce it to fall before it gets to Jarkata.

You didn't understand what I wrote, but this which you wrote is what I actually said.
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by Culin(f): 11:23pm On Jan 03, 2020
Wow, learnt something new today.
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by sotall(m): 11:25pm On Jan 03, 2020
kingreign:

You didn't understand what I wrote, but this which you wrote is what I actually said.
Then why did you use the word "foolishly"?
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by sotall(m): 11:26pm On Jan 03, 2020
Slynation:

Prove me wrong in what ways?? grin I have seen the manifestation of God's works around me, I know the importance and the powers of prayers, so I'm not moved by their wordings about the evolution of bible, just that somethings about the mystery surrounding life are better left unsaid...

There is power from above and power from beneath, you are free to believe whatever u want to believe in!! After all, we all came into this world incognito

What do you mean there is power from above and power from beneath?
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by Savagethe21st(m): 11:33pm On Jan 03, 2020
The way people die in third world countries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE0DM2WXazk Hello guys i'm a producer in my teens chasing my dreams.It would be a huge blessing if someone checked out my beats and comment what you think or critique subscribe to support me and .Thanks and Godbless.
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by Blakjewelry(m): 11:35pm On Jan 03, 2020
kingreign:

NaCl (sodium chloride aka common table salt) is hygroscopic, meaning it absorb moisture from its surrounding and from the atmosphere around it. The knowledge of this property of salt is what is used to 'seed cloud', cloud seeding is a process of spraying chemicals usually NaCl into the atmosphere to absorb atmospheric precipitation. This will induce changes in rainfall or snowfall pattern and time.

Previously, Silver iodide or potassium iodide etc were used for this purpose.
But in this case it's not the hygroscopic property is been used rather it will act as impurity which can change a lot of factors like either heighten or lower the temperature or pressure at which water condense, boil etc
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by kingreign(m): 11:35pm On Jan 03, 2020
sotall:

Then why did you use the word "foolishly"?
They should quit playing God. Let nature do what it's got to do. Good or bad.
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by 0monnak0da: 11:49pm On Jan 03, 2020
Those saying learnt somethin

What exactly?
How effective is it.?
What does it cost e.g to stop rain in the whole SS SE or SW
Is that feasible?
If you stop rain in A night it cause flooding in B
Can we measure success in %%?

If it so great why is it not widespread
Why was it not deployed BEFORE 43 people died?
Who won the contract to supply salt
Can they be trusted not to mix it with sand?

Many people are easily dazzled.
That is why churches boom.
People believe ANYTHING
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by pacespot(m): 11:53pm On Jan 03, 2020
Is there any reason to associate the drop in global temperature with the fact that more people are now aware of the threat of climate change which is now seeing more businesses moving towards cleaner energy sources like solar and nuclear to power their businesses. Is it that the campaign over climate change is working already, because I can personally feel the difference in weather change since 2017: 2017 was warmer than 2018, while 2018 was warmer compared to 2019. Are we going to witness a more steady climate in 2020?

Kudos to Indonesia for this good initiative.
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by tck2000(m): 11:53pm On Jan 03, 2020
kingreign:

NaCl (sodium chloride aka common table salt) is hygroscopic, meaning it absorb moisture from its surrounding and from the atmosphere around it. The knowledge of this property of salt is what is used to 'seed cloud', cloud seeding is a process of spraying chemicals usually NaCl into the atmosphere to absorb atmospheric precipitation. This will induce changes in rainfall or snowfall pattern and time.

Apt
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by engrchykae(m): 12:03am On Jan 04, 2020
harveygordon:

How? Last I checked, it's moisture and O2 that capable of destroying metal except from heat
when metallic salts like nacl falls on fe,na being more electropositive will displace Fe and therefore cause rust

1 Like

Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by kingreign(m): 12:11am On Jan 04, 2020
Blakjewelry:

But in this case it's not the hygroscopic property is been used rather it will act as impurity which can change a lot of factors like either heighten or lower the temperature or pressure at which water condense, boil etc
I'm afraid you're wrong. Hygroscopicity (sic) plays a huge role. If the primary aim of NaCl waas to act as impurity, then the whole aim of cloud seeding would be defeated because pollens, soot, smoke, dust and other impurities are present in the atmosphere too and if scientists are to go by your analogy, they too can be used as cloud seeding catalysts.
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by Ishilove: 12:13am On Jan 04, 2020
kingreign:

NaCl (sodium chloride aka common table salt) is hygroscopic, meaning it absorb moisture from its surrounding and from the atmosphere around it.
My brain started sparking here.

The knowledge of this property of salt is what is used to 'seed cloud', cloud seeding is a process of spraying chemicals usually NaCl into the atmosphere to absorb atmospheric precipitation.
Sparks increased. Eyes glazing over...

This will induce changes in rainfall or snowfall pattern and time.

Brain stopped sparking and begun rebooting after it opened a small section of my skull and dumped out everything it just read.

You cannor kee me abeg.

Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by kingreign(m): 12:15am On Jan 04, 2020
Ishilove:

My brain started sparking here.

Sparks increased. Eyes glazing over...

Brain stopped sparking and begun rebooting after it opened a small section of my skull and dumped out everything it just read.

You cannor kee me abeg.

Mabinu ma, don't mind me, it's prof Udosen, Prof Faith, Prof Uyanga, etc that caused these to happen. Forgive me ma

2 Likes

Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by Ishilove: 12:15am On Jan 04, 2020
kingreign:

I'm afraid you're wrong. Hygroscopicity (sic) plays a huge role. If the primary aim of NaCl waas to act as impurity, then the whole aim of cloud seeding would be defeated because pollens, soot, smoke, dust and other impurities are present in the atmosphere too and if scientists are to go by your analogy, they too can be used as cloud seeding catalysts.
This is how what you wrote here reads to me:

Brhdjehrvuebdbsjwmjeguebdkaoevfrndkekebfhdjrxejkw

undecided embarassed
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by Ishilove: 12:15am On Jan 04, 2020
kingreign:

Mabinu ma, don't mind me, it's prof Udosen, Prof Faith, Prof Uyanga, etc that caused these to happen. Forgive me ma
Hokay. All is forgiven grin

1 Like

Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by kingreign(m): 12:16am On Jan 04, 2020
Ishilove:

This is how what you wrote here reads to me:

Brhdjehrvuebdbsjwmjeguebdkaoevfrndkekebfhdjrxejkw

undecided embarassed

grin cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by Blakjewelry(m): 1:10am On Jan 04, 2020
kingreign:

You are wrong

This is not a scientific thread so I am not going to explain the whole process how it works but, a simple example is adding salt to snow to make melt fast. Salt is used in this case because it is more cheaper and easily available compared to other more preferable option. The properties been applied can also be observed if you add salt to a bottle of water and place in the freezer with another bottle of water from the tap. The tap water will freeze over first and it will take longer for the salt mixture to freeze. Also the salt molecules act as tiny particles which the rain or snow use as base or nuclei to build upon, But if you want to push it further, I am going to open a proper thread on this issue and quote you.
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by Victorex001(m): 3:09am On Jan 04, 2020
Mikelarteta:
Our major Natural disaster in Nigeria is Buhari and Boko Haram.

Not really, the truth is our lands and atmosphere are not busy except the oil companies posing a major threat to our ozone layers like the time we heard new of acids rain, most of the Western countries are extremely Industrialized (emitting all sorts of chemicals and all from huge companies) and these things affects nature, Indonesia have deforested (bush burning) almost of their lands for agriculture especially Palm trees these things affects nature. Indonesia are even shifting into the islands to plant more palm trees this has displaced many animals and disrupt the ecosystem.

Nigeria and Africa at large is still filled with virgin empty, idol lands so for now our nature is still intact, Oil companies are mostly the industries that poses threat to our nature.
If Africa or Nigeria was as highly industrialized and busy like these countries once in awhile we’ll experience these natural disasters, just take for a example how the Real Estate industry is posing flood threats in Lekki.

1 Like

Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by sotall(m): 3:19am On Jan 04, 2020
kingreign:

They should quit playing God. Let nature do what it's got to do. Good or bad.

seriousIy?

I guess if your life or that of a loved one was at stake, you wouldn't be saying this?
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by yom2(m): 4:47am On Jan 04, 2020
beylinko:
ok. hopefully it works for them. we are battling with harmattan here o. Abeg what's the way forward?
we shall commence with cloud boiling very soon. Plug an electric boiler to power supply and extend it into the cloud to boil the harmattan cloud so that whether go warm up

1 Like

Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by midnighter(f): 5:43am On Jan 04, 2020
GidiWoodsMan:

They are inducing the cloud masses to fall as rain in less flood-prone areas, before the winds move them into position over already flooded Jakarta

Thanks. This was the missing piece of information
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by handsomebanana(m): 5:53am On Jan 04, 2020
doggedfighter:

They may be graduates but fooled by illitrate villagers. Here he is praising and announcing rubbish

God will show u.
Keep doubting.
Heaven is real, so is hell.
Make ur choice while u still have one.

The day of judgement is near
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by Ishilove: 6:40am On Jan 04, 2020
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by Neddyogu(m): 6:51am On Jan 04, 2020
Buh I thought the monsoon season should have been over by now naa..
Re: Cloud Seeding Used To Stop Rain As Atleast 43 People Die In Indonesia Flooding by mu2sa2: 6:54am On Jan 04, 2020
Mikelarteta:
Our major Natural disaster in Nigeria is Buhari and Boko Haram.
And yourself and people of your ilk.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerian Man Builds "Helicopter" In Oyo (photos) / Angry Elephant Attacks Jumbo Sculpture After Thinking It’s A Love Rival(Pix,vid) / Crocodile Captured In Arepo, Lagos - Ibadan Expressway (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.