Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,536 members, 7,823,328 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:50 AM

Message For Babapupa: Crime: Lagos, Ogun Top In Armed Robbery - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Message For Babapupa: Crime: Lagos, Ogun Top In Armed Robbery (900 Views)

Lagos-Ogun Metro Rail Transit To Cost N456bn (Approval granted to start) / So Many Uniform Too Much Crime (lagos) / Oyo, Imo, Ogun, Others Lead In Armed Robbery In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Message For Babapupa: Crime: Lagos, Ogun Top In Armed Robbery by AkinEgba: 7:12am On Dec 04, 2010
Crime: Lagos, Ogun Top In Armed Robbery
Tuesday, 09 November 2010 00:35 Wisdom Patrick, Lagos
E-mail Print

As both the Muslim and Christian faithful look forward to the Eid-el Kabir and Charismas celebrations respectively, criminal activities have also increased in some major states of the federation.

According to statistics from the Nigeria Police Force (NPF) made available to LEADERSHIP in Lagos yesterday, Lagos and Ogun have overtaken Abia and Akwa Ibom states in cases of banditry and other related organised crimes. Following in that order are Oyo, Gombe, Katsina, Kano, Edo, Rivers and Anambra states.

The police report said in the last two months of September and October, Lagos and Ogun states recorded a total of 2,378 case of reported armed robbery. A breakdown of the statistics shows that Lagos recorded a total of 1,262 incidents of armed robbery, while Ogun State recorded over 1,100 cases of armed robbery.

It was also gathered that close to about 2,567 light weapons had entered Lagos through illegal means within the last two months. LEADERSHIP also gathered that apart from armed robbery, Lagos also took the lead in house break-ins.

It was gathered that Lagos recorded over 2,901 cases in burglary, while items ranging from GSM handsets and other valuables including Laptops computers were freely stolen. Police record also showed that police in Ogun State, however, arrested only five of the armed robbers in the months of September and October.

www.leadershipeditors.com/ns/index.php">http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:92vGRKneyU0J:www.leadershipeditors.com/ns/index.php%3Foption%3Dcom_content%26view%3Darticle%26id%3D19021:crime-lagos-ogun-top-in-armed-robbery%26catid%3D16:headline-news%26Itemid%3D102+armed+robbers+in+Lagos&cd=14&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a
Re: Message For Babapupa: Crime: Lagos, Ogun Top In Armed Robbery by DapoBear(m): 7:18am On Dec 04, 2010
Err, shouldn't you instead consider per capita crime rates? Lagos has a lot more population than say the Eastern states; that crime rates there are anywhere near comparable to Abia and Anambra reflects poorly on the latter two states.

Also, newspaper reports are probably not going to tell the whole story, since it is highly likely that crime is severely underreported in the East. Consider for example how even Igbo people are afraid to live in their homeland due to fear of kidnapping and crime. That alone should tell you about how safe the region is relative to others in Nigeria.
Re: Message For Babapupa: Crime: Lagos, Ogun Top In Armed Robbery by AkinEgba: 7:19am On Dec 04, 2010
strangerf:

Most of the  crimes in Lagos and Ogun are committed by Ibos
Buncha misfits!

You could be right, you could be wrong. But you will have to prove that, or accept that Ibo population in Lagos is not less than 75% of Lagos population.

We Yorubas are always in denial.
Re: Message For Babapupa: Crime: Lagos, Ogun Top In Armed Robbery by strangerf: 7:21am On Dec 04, 2010
^^^
Sharrrraaaaaaaaaap there
You are Ibo
I know you!
Re: Message For Babapupa: Crime: Lagos, Ogun Top In Armed Robbery by AkinEgba: 7:21am On Dec 04, 2010
DapoBear:

Err, shouldn't you instead consider per capita crime rates? Lagos has a lot more population than say the Eastern states; that crime rates there are anywhere near comparable to Abia and Anambra reflects poorly on the latter two states.

Also, newspaper reports are probably not going to tell the whole story, since it is highly likely that crime is severely underreported in the East. Consider for example how even Igbo people are afraid to live in their homeland due to fear of kidnapping and crime. That alone should tell you about how safe the region is relative to others in Nigeria.

If crime is under reported in the East how come we know of the kidnappings in Abia and Akwa Ibom? Actually the crime rate in Abia has gone down since the military clampdown. Let we Yorubas stop living in denial and making out as if  the SW is one crime-free paradise.
Re: Message For Babapupa: Crime: Lagos, Ogun Top In Armed Robbery by AkinEgba: 7:23am On Dec 04, 2010
strangerf:

^^^
Sharrrraaaaaaaaaap there
You are Ibo
I know you!

Yes, everyone that those not follow the mumu train is Ibo. Are ibos not human beings? Are they some UFOs in outer space?
Re: Message For Babapupa: Crime: Lagos, Ogun Top In Armed Robbery by DapoBear(m): 7:26am On Dec 04, 2010
Akin-Egba:

If crime is under reported in the East how come we know of the kidnappings in Abia and Akwa Ibom?
Think very carefully about what you just wrote. Consider if there is a contradiction in the first and the second part of your statement.

Actually the crime rate in Abia has gone down since the military clampdown.
Evidence of this? Seems unfortunate that a largescale military presence was the only way to reduce crime there. It truly must have been a hellish land if it essentially required an army to pacify it.

Let we Yorubas stop living in denial and making out as if  the SW is one crime-free paradise.
Me personally, I don't think the SW is a crime-free paradise. It is the Igbo who live in the Southwest are the ones who claim this to be true, at least relative to their homeland. Quite unfortunate, being driven away from your homeland like refugees due to crime and chaos.
Re: Message For Babapupa: Crime: Lagos, Ogun Top In Armed Robbery by AkinEgba: 7:27am On Dec 04, 2010
DapoBear:

Did you miss Ogun and Oyo in the ranking? Why does everything in the SW begins and ends with Lagos? Are Ogun, Oyo, Ondo, Osun and Ekiti orphan states?
Re: Message For Babapupa: Crime: Lagos, Ogun Top In Armed Robbery by DapoBear(m): 7:28am On Dec 04, 2010
^-- Then prepare for us per capita crime rates so we can compare. Your current analysis is flawed until this is done.
Re: Message For Babapupa: Crime: Lagos, Ogun Top In Armed Robbery by AkinEgba: 7:29am On Dec 04, 2010
DapoBear:

Think very carefully about what you just wrote. Consider if there is a contradiction in the first and the second part of your statement.
Evidence of this? Seems unfortunate that a largescale military presence was the only way to reduce crime there. It truly must have been a hellish land if it essentially required an army to pacify it.
Me personally, I don't think the SW is a crime-free paradise. It is the Igbo who live in the Southwest are the ones who claim this to be true, at least relative to their homeland. Quite unfortunate, being driven away from your homeland like refugees due to crime and chaos.

Deal with the data presented by the Nigerian police and quit always comparing yourself with Ibos.
Re: Message For Babapupa: Crime: Lagos, Ogun Top In Armed Robbery by AkinEgba: 7:30am On Dec 04, 2010
DapoBear:

^-- Then prepare for us per capita crime rates so we can compare. Your current analysis is flawed until this is done.

I can post 100 crime articles in the SW (Lagos) in which the criminals are clearly identified as Yoruba
Re: Message For Babapupa: Crime: Lagos, Ogun Top In Armed Robbery by AkinEgba: 7:32am On Dec 04, 2010
Last year data, Oyo and Ogun (my state, unfortunately) were also leading, followed by Imo.
Re: Message For Babapupa: Crime: Lagos, Ogun Top In Armed Robbery by DapoBear(m): 7:33am On Dec 04, 2010
How on earth am I comparing myself to Igbos? I am only claiming that your analysis is flawed, as you did not compute per capita crime rates. I'm also suggesting that Yorubaland is probably a relatively safe place, since massive numbers of people from the East have fled their crime-filled land for the relative safety of the West.

Akin-Egba:

I can post 100 crime articles in the SW (Lagos) in which the criminals are clearly identified as Yoruba
Do you know what the word "rate" means? Articles are irrelevant. Take the police data, divide by the listed population of the state to get a crime rate. Tabulate it and report it here, so we can compare. Otherwise your analysis is meaningless.
Re: Message For Babapupa: Crime: Lagos, Ogun Top In Armed Robbery by AkinEgba: 7:40am On Dec 04, 2010
DapoBear:

How on earth am I comparing myself to Igbos? I am only claiming that your analysis is flawed, as you did not compute per capita crime rates. I'm also suggesting that Yorubaland is probably a relatively safe place, since massive numbers of people from the East have fled their crime-filled land for the relative safety of the West.
Do you know what the word "rate" means? Articles are irrelevant. Take the police data, divide by the listed population of the state to get a crime rate. Tabulate it and report it here, so we can compare. Otherwise your analysis is meaningless.

Ibos have been living in all parts of Nigeria since adam. When did the spate of kidnappings begin in Iboland that you now allude ibo presence in other parts of Nigeria as due to flight from crime in their land?
Re: Message For Babapupa: Crime: Lagos, Ogun Top In Armed Robbery by AkinEgba: 7:41am On Dec 04, 2010
Dapobear do you know what gbomogbomo means? Can you trace the origin of it?
Re: Message For Babapupa: Crime: Lagos, Ogun Top In Armed Robbery by DapoBear(m): 7:46am On Dec 04, 2010
^-- Who can say. Perhaps the East sef has always been filled with violence; perhaps that is why they have been leaving it. I can only go by what the Igbo I know have told me. And they've said they feel safe in the West, but fear for their safety and lives in the East. I can only sympathize.
Re: Message For Babapupa: Crime: Lagos, Ogun Top In Armed Robbery by Nobody: 7:50am On Dec 04, 2010
another unreasonable/unnecessary e fight/ argument. lets concern ourselves on how we can assist in reducing the menace. whats rrs in Lagos doing?
Re: Message For Babapupa: Crime: Lagos, Ogun Top In Armed Robbery by AkinEgba: 7:53am On Dec 04, 2010
DapoBear:

^-- Who can say. Perhaps the East sef has always been filled with violence; perhaps that is why they have been leaving it. I can only go by what the Igbo I know have told me. And they've said they feel safe in the West, but fear for their safety and lives in the East. I can only sympathize.

How many Ibos currently live in the East? Have all the ibos ran to Lagos?
Has SW ever been a safe place in Nigeria?
Elections are coming and we all know how deadly our politics is, We know about human rituals, gbomogbomo and even kidnapping and armed robbery in the SW
Every police report I have seen have always listed Ogun and Oyo above any Eastern states in crime level.
At some point, the Ogun house of assembly had to beg the robbers to go on break for some time (see my next post)
Given the Ibo population in Lagos, only on ignoramus will say they are not involved in crime in that state, but to say most of the crimes in Lagos are committed by Ibos is pure lie. Unless we are also willing to accept that most people living in Lagos are ibos.
Re: Message For Babapupa: Crime: Lagos, Ogun Top In Armed Robbery by AkinEgba: 7:53am On Dec 04, 2010
Lawmakers ask robbers to declare temporary ceasefire

By Dimeji Kayode-Adedeji

October 29, 2009 01:50AMT print email

The Ogun State House of Assembly on Wednesday appealed to armed robbers operating in the state and neighbouring ones to suspend their activities in the light of the junior World Cup going on in the country.

The Assembly reminded the robbers that any of their operations during the period of the tournament will give the country a bad name, as several foreign visitors are in the country now. Ogun is one of the states hosting teams in the competition.

The lawmakers agreed to beg the bandits during deliberations on the floor of the House, at their Oke-Mosan, Abeokuta complex. A member, Edward Ayo Odugbesan had raised an alarm that the Isheri bridge, which links Ogun with Lagos State, has become a den of bandits.

Mr. Odugbesan said there is a need for the men of the underworld to suspend their operations in the interim, because of the on-going mundial. The Ijebu-Ode International Stadium is one of the centres being used for the competition.

“I want to appeal to the men of the underworld to suspend their actions and operations in the interim because of our foreign visitors currently in the state,” he said. “Then they can resume thereafter, because there is nowhere in the world where robbers and robberies could be stopped from their work.” He then called on his colleagues to support his call on the armed bandits to soft-pedal because the situation is becoming worrisome.

“If foreigners witness the robbers’ attacks at this point, it would send a bad signal to other nations,” he said.

Police wake up

Reacting to Mr. Odugbesan’s call, the Speaker, Tunji Egbetokun, called on the police leadership to intensify efforts in ensuring that security is maintained in the state.

“I want to use the opportunity to call on the police to intensify efforts in checkmating criminals. They should please not relent in the efforts,” he said.

In a related development, the Assembly ordered the head of the Local Government Administration of Obafemi-Owode to appear before it next Wednesday for clarification on the budget and expenditure of the council. The local government official was said to have dodged previous invitations over the past three months – a development which the Assembly faulted at its session yesterday.

The lawmakers, therefore, directed the Clerk of the House, Demola Badejo, to write the official on the matter and direct him to report before it.

234next.com
Re: Message For Babapupa: Crime: Lagos, Ogun Top In Armed Robbery by Jakumo(m): 7:59am On Dec 04, 2010
In addition to the now standard issue AK47 assault rifles and belt-fed general purpose machine guns fielded by Nigerian bandits, the use of grenades and demolition explosives has escalated over the past year in many parts of the federation.

Just yesterday, December 3 2010, reports filtering from the town of Ilishan in Ogun State describe a precision coordinated assault on the local branch of Wema Bank by a gang of twelve Igbo gentlemen who arrived in three vehicles, shortly after an armored bullion van had delivered a large consignment of cash.  

The ATM machine located on the bank's perimeter wall was uprooted and fragmented, along with a ten-foot section of the reinforced wall itself, by a massive explosion that was heard over a five mile radius.  Second and third explosions, interspersed with bursts of auto rifle fire, were used to discourage gathering onlookers from straying too close to scene of the asset re-allocation exercise, before the visitors gained access to the bank and calmly liberated all funds just delivered by the bullion van, implying, of course, the presence of an informant within the bank.  

Hopefully, pictures of the ATM machine's wreckage will be made available, so that I can post them here for your Xmas season enjoyment.
Re: Message For Babapupa: Crime: Lagos, Ogun Top In Armed Robbery by DapoBear(m): 8:01am On Dec 04, 2010
@Akin-Egba: You keep running from pillar to post. You can post 1000 articles if you like. We know that most of the media is based in the West and thus there is more coverage. In the East, most will admit even the reported crime is a tiny fraction of what actually occurs.

Perhaps you should post per capita crime rates, as was initially requested. This might help to fill some of the holes in your porous arguments and reasoning.

Finally, is your claim that because not all of the Igbos fleeing crime in the East fled to Lagos, this is somehow a good thing? Or evidence to support your point? Again, think through this a bit further and consider if this makes any sense.
Re: Message For Babapupa: Crime: Lagos, Ogun Top In Armed Robbery by Beaf: 8:05am On Dec 04, 2010
This thread is theatrical. grin

(1)

Buhari ,buharism, And Buharinomics Part2: Is Candidate Buhari Clueless? / 1000 Reasons I Will Never Vote For Buhari / ACN Marginalising Lagos Indigenes’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.