Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,448 members, 7,823,060 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:52 PM

The Black African Gene - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Black African Gene (8744 Views)

igbos are the most brilliant black african race...US academic report 2015 / A Painfull Picture Of What The Whites Do To The Black African In Those Days. / Tomb Art From Ancient Egypt: A Black African Civilization (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Black African Gene by Blackteeth(m): 10:31pm On Dec 09, 2010
First of all, Africans were not ''stark illiterates'' when Europeans arrived. Thousands of Africans were educated. Universities existed on the continent. After the collapse of Egypt following the Arab invasion, Islam and Arabic became the cultural vehicles of progress in the Nile Valley and beyond. Africans with proximity to this dispensation became part and parcel of that new world. The Timbuktu Manuscripts, several hundred thousand volumes of written text covering science to astronomy, architecture to religion, and dated from at least the 12th century, are clear evidence that knowledge and education were never extinguished on the African continent, and in fact blossomed, with numerous treatises on medicine, literature, and law written in several African languages by African scholars.

The Arabic script incidentally is little more than a corrupted form of the ancient African writing system of hieroglyphs.

The Arabic script directly came from the Nabatean script, which came from the Aramaic script, which came from the Phonecian script, which came from the African Hieroglyphs of the Nile Valley.

My friend STOP using Egypt to cover the ass of the rest of Africa. The Egyptians are Africans but they are not exactly in the same category as the ''pure'' blacks of Sub-saharan Africa down south. The ''pure'' blacks of Sub-saharan Africa are the scope of this post to be specific. Excluding the north Africans what else do you have to defend your position? I guess nothing. Taking Nigeria as part of the Sub-saharan blacks, which universities existed in Nigeria before the coming of the Europeans? How many people where educated? Tell me.

''Africans have had enough time to blah blah blah''. What, 50 years?

You think 50 years is ''more than enough time'' because you are not very thoughtful.

Tell me. Are YOU not an African?

What have YOU done personally to move Africa away from ''backwardness''? Stop projecting your own personal racial insecurities onto ''Africans''. Do YOUR bit and leave the rest to others to do theirs. Afterall today, many Africans work far harder than you to make life better for their fellows, so they by right should be pointing their fingers at YOU, and asking what have YOU done?

You are still repeating your 50 years of independence thing. I asked you to tell me what the people occupying Nigeria were doing before the Europeans came and you didn't do so. The fact is if Africans were not weak, they wouldn't have been colonized, and your talk of 50 years of existence as Nigeria wouldn't have been necessary by now. By the way I don't think you realize the magnitude of what 50 years represent. 50 years of independence is enough to make Nigeria at least the fifth largest economy in the world if you don't know.

Talking about what I have done to move Africa away from the backwardness, I am part of a research team of a construction company aimed at improving the quality of civil engineering structures that are put up in various regions. Am sure I am doing my own part. Tell your politicians to do there own part, and if they do theirs, Africa will rise up with full force I bet.

I DON'T believe that whites are superior to the blacks. But what I believe is Africans weren't naturally made to be like the Europeans and have the same culture with them. In other words, before Africans can match the Europeans in brain contest, they have to be TRAINED to live like an European. If you send an African black baby to be raised in a 100% white European community, that African baby will grow up programmed to behave exactly like an European. And if you bring in a white baby into the Massai tribe of Kenya, that white baby will grow up to behave like a massai.
Re: The Black African Gene by Nobody: 12:54am On Dec 10, 2010
First of all, Africans were not ''stark illiterates'' when Europeans arrived. Thousands of Africans were educated. Universities existed on the continent.  After the collapse of Egypt following the Arab invasion, Islam and Arabic became the cultural vehicles of progress in the Nile Valley and beyond. Africans with proximity to this dispensation became part and parcel of that new world. The Timbuktu Manuscripts, several hundred thousand volumes of written text covering science to astronomy, architecture to religion, and dated from at least the 12th century, are clear evidence that knowledge and education were never extinguished on the African continent, and in fact blossomed, with numerous treatises on medicine, literature, and law written in several African languages by African scholars.

The Arabic script incidentally is little more than a corrupted form of the ancient African writing system of hieroglyphs.

The Arabic script directly came from the Nabatean script, which came from the Aramaic script, which came from the Phonecian script, which came from the African Hieroglyphs of the Nile Valley.

My friend STOP using Egypt to cover the backside of the rest of Africa. The Egyptians are Africans but they are not exactly in the same category as the ''pure'' blacks of Sub-saharan Africa down south.

Firstly the ancient Egyptians were black Africans. I'll leave you and your racist masters in Europe to distinguish what a ''pure black'' is from what a ''non-pure black'' is. References to ancient Egypt are references to a black African civilization. If you have a problem with that reference, start another thread on it.

Excluding the north Africans what else do you have to defend your position? I guess nothing.

The universities of Mali were black African established and run universities. Institutes like the Sankore University in Timbuktu educated thousands of Africans in various fields from law to religion, literature to medicine and the sciences.

See my post below on the Timbuktu Manuscripts, which you can google as well.

Taking Nigeria as part of the Sub-saharan blacks, which universities existed in Nigeria before the coming of the Europeans?

Which universities existed even DURING the time the Europeans ruled Nigeria? Which universities did THEY build in their 80 year rulership of Nigeria?

Answer? A big fat ZERO

It was only AFTER they were driven out, in 1960, that we, AFRICANS, began to build universities in Nigeria.

Today we've built over a hundred universities in Nigeria alone. So we have NOTHING to 'thank' them for since they did NOTHING.

How many were educated

Probably more than were educated by the time the Brits left 80 yrs later with our literacy rate at 5% at independence.

The reason Nigerians are educated today is because NIGERIANS are in power, who INVESTED HEAVILY in mass education from independence till date.

Tell that to your do-nothing oyibo looting masters.

You are still repeating your 50 years of independence thing. I asked you to tell me what the people occupying Nigeria were doing before the Europeans came and you didn't do so.

I did. I wrote a lot of things above which you've simply IGNORED only to regurgitate the same questions.

The fact is if Africans were not weak, they wouldn't have been colonized

Certain episodes in African history led to our position. I earlier traced that history. Did you read it?

and your talk of 50 years of existence as Nigeria wouldn't have been necessary by now. By the way I don't think you realize the magnitude of what 50 years represent. 50 years of independence is enough to make Nigeria at least the fifth largest economy in the world if you don't know.

Life doesn't work like that. A young and complex country like Nigeria with a turbulent history, which only got its first modern university in 1960, WILL HAVE TO go through decades of turmoil  and nation building before becoming a fully developed nation.

I DON'T believe that whites are superior to the blacks. But what I believe is Africans weren't naturally made to be like the Europeans and have the same culture with them. In other words, before Africans can match the Europeans in brain contest, they have to be TRAINED to live like an European. If you send an African black baby to be raised in a 100% white European community, that African baby will grow up programmed to behave exactly like an European. And if you bring in a white baby into the Massai tribe of Kenya, that white baby will grow up to behave like a massai.

What is wrong with the behaviour of a Masai?
Re: The Black African Gene by Nobody: 1:13am On Dec 10, 2010
The Timbuktu Manuscripts

http://www.timbuktufoundation.org/manuscripts.htm

Discovery of Timbuktu Manuscripts puts an end to Western "Songs and Dance Theory" of African People.

[img]http://portal.unesco.org/ci/en/file_download.php/d741c7bec0aa166f19eb3cbcfecbda35Image5+copy.jpg[/img]

‘The Timbuktu manuscripts’ are a symbolic representation of the impact and influence of the early schools and universities ( XII-XVIth century) that existed in West Africa ( Timbuktu-Gao-Djenné-Kano). However, the manuscripts that remain in Timbuktu are only part of the intellectual heritage of West Africa. Many other manuscripts can be found in other locations in West Africa.

How you can help save the endangered manuscripts of Timbuktu ?

All those of you who care and appreciate an African intellectual legacy, an Islamic legacy, an academic legacy and a spiritual legacy help save the endangered manuscripts of Timbuktu. There are 700,000 manuscripts in Timbuktu and surroundings that are on the verge of being lost if the appropriate action is not taken. These manuscripts represent a turning point in the history of Africa and its people. The translation and publication of the manuscripts of Timbuktu will restore self-respect, pride, honor and dignity to the people of Africa and those descended from Africa; it will also obliterate the stereo-typical images of Tarzan and primitive savages as true representation of Africa and its civilization.

The manuscripts of Timbuktu are a living testimony of the highly advanced and refined civilization in Sub-Sahara Africa. Before the European Renaissance, Timbuktu flourished as the greatest academic and commercial center in Africa. Great empires such as Ghana, Mali, and Songhai were proofs of the talents, creativity and ingenuity of the African people. The University of Timbuktu produced both Black African scholars and leaders of the highest rank, character and nobility.

The manuscripts of Timbuktu cover diverse subjects such as mathematics, chemistry, physics, optics, astronomy, medicine, Islamic sciences, history, geography, government legislation and treaties, jurisprudence and much more.

From the 10th century and onward, Timbuktu became an important port where goods from West Africa and North Africa were traded.

Goods coming from Mediterranean shores and salt were traded in Timbuktu for gold. The prosperity of the city attracted both black scholars, black merchants and Arab traders from North Africa. Salt, books and gold were very much in demand at that time. Salt was brought from Tegaza in the north, and gold from the immense gold mines of the Boure and Banbuk, and books were the refined work of the black scholars and scholars of the Sanhaja descent.

In fact, Leo Africanus, a historian of the XVIth century wrote about Timbuktu:

''There are many judges, doctors and clerics here, all receiving good salaries from King Askia Muhammad of the State of Songhay. He pays great respect to men of learning. There is a great demand for books, and more profit is made from the trade in books than from any other line of business.”

The manuscripts provide a written testimony to the skill of African scientists, in astronomy, mathematics, chemistry, medicine and climatology in the Middle Ages.

The manuscripts point to the fact that Africa has a rich legacy of written history, contrary to popular opinion that oral tradition alone has preserved its heritage. This is important, given that written records are believed to be such crucial markers of civilisation.

By the 12th century, Timbuktu became a celebrated center of Islamic learning and a commercial establishment. Timbuktu had three universities and 180 Quranic schools. These universities were the Sankore University, Jingaray Ber University and Sidi Yahya University.

This was the golden age of [post Nile Valley] Africa.

Books were not only written in Timbuktu, but they were also imported and copied there. There was an advanced local book copying industry in the city. The universities and private libraries contained unparalleled scholarly works. The famous scholar of Timbuktu Ahmad Baba who was among those forcibly exiled in Morocco claimed that his library of 1600 books had been plundered, and that his library, according to him, was one of the smaller in the city.

[img]http://3.bp..com/_kxPG6y8Qctk/TFbgsbe1OVI/AAAAAAAAexA/hqGathBBqSs/s800/Sankore+Mosque+-+TIMBUKTU+Photos+(9).jpg[/img]
Sankore University

Sankore University Artistic Render Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE7UVK4lFs4

Restoration of the Manuscripts

South African involvement
South Africa came onto the scene when President Thabo Mbeki offered help to the Malian government to preserve the ancient scripts during a state visit in 2001. The two countries have now launched a trust fund to elicit funds from the public to preserve the continent's heritage.

An estimated R36-million is needed over a five-year period, both to upgrade the Ahmed Baba Centre and to finance the building of a new library equipped with the necessary technology to preserve the manuscripts.

The Timbuktu Manuscripts have been earmarked as the first official cultural project of the New Partnership for Africa's Development (Nepad), the socio-economic revival plan of the African Union. They have also become a South African Presidential Project, co-ordinated by the Presidency and the Department of Arts and Culture, through the National Archives in Pretoria.

South Africa is now sharing with Mali its own technical expertise on preserving ancient documents. According to project leader Dr Graham Dominy of the National archives, four Malians have just finished part of the  training process.
Re: The Black African Gene by koruji(m): 3:59am On Dec 10, 2010
@Blackteeth
You truly are ignorant. My stomach turns as I attempt to read the vomit proceeding from you.

Can you tell me your purpose for these things you are writing? It certainly not for enlightenment. Are you writing some kind of school paper? Are you engaged in a mind warping religious experiment? Are you drunk or on drugs? Are you depressed? Are you. . .?

I am fumbling for reasons on your behalf because it is hard to believe someone would keep insisting that he, his parents, his nation and his race are either DIVINELY CURSED or GENETICALLY DESIGNED TO BE DUMB.

Blackteeth:

This is Brownteeth. I was banned two days ago, so here I am with a new ID.

@Koruji. Am yet to believe that all of humanity came from Africa. And there has been no concrete proof to show that. If they are saying that it was a change in environment that made the blacks who migrated from Africa to other regions of the world to have a white skin, pointed nose, straight hair and all that, Why are the blacks in foreign lands at present not transforming to whites or Asians in their host countries? Saying that blacks transformed to whites is like saying that human beings transformed to monkeys cos the began to spend more time on top of trees. Besides who among us is an eye witness to the black to white transformation? NOBODY!! Forget those stories.

@ROSSIKE. First of all do try to make your comments as short as possible to enable an easy and quick grasp of the message you intend passing across. I think you depend so much on the history books without using your brain to question the things you read. Those things you wrote there may be true but I am still trying to let you know that the Egyptian Africans who played those roles thousands of years are not the same as the Africans we have today spread across Sub Saharan Africa. If actually they were the same, that knowledge of civilization should have been passed to the later generations. But it didn't happen cos when the Europeans visited Africa, Africans were stark illiterates. That knowledge should NEVER have escaped like that. But the fact is those things you mentioned are all history. It's time for us to focus on the present age.

I asked you to explain how the TEACHER EVENTUALLY BECAME AN ILLITERATE AND HAD TO BE MADE LITERATE BY THE STUDENT HE TAUGHT, but you brushed it aside.

Anyway, the main thing is whether Africa ushered in civilization or not, it still doesn't change the fact that Africans are presently backward and the focal question is why are they backward? I think you have been beating about the bush with your history book. This is the question you should answer straight away. Don't tell me slave trade or colonization please because Africans have had enough time to fix the damage.

Re: The Black African Gene by sage(m): 5:25am On Dec 10, 2010
The award for biggest slowpoke on Nairaland goes to Rossike for typing rubbish of the highest order.

The guy has absolutely no idea what he is talking about. I guess he must be joking or something

Let me set a few things straight here

1. There is NO such thing (and has never been any such thing) like a "black African gene" or any thing similar. It is only the worlds most stupid people would even spout nonsense like that.

2. The Australasians are Asians, completely Asians. They have no connections to Africans whatsoever irrespective of their skin colour or hair. Science has proven that

3. Africa is a continent of diverse colours from time immemorial. Before somebody comes on here to talk nonsense, they should learn about the history of places like North Africa. Some people here dont know WTF they are talking about
Re: The Black African Gene by koruji(m): 6:01am On Dec 10, 2010
I think you meant to commend Rossike, at least on this thread, and disparage Brownteeth/Blackteeth/john_mace for the vomit that keeps coming from them. This is because most of what you wrote below actually agrees with what Rossike have being writing, except the Australasian thing. He is actually not saying they are Africans - but blacks. What genetic study suggests is that the Australian aboriginals were among the first set of people to leave the African continent 40-60 thousand years ago.

In essence, genetics is telling us that every human being is African - Africans dispersed by many factors through out the world over many thousands of years.

sage:

The award for biggest not-so-smart person on Nairaland goes to Rossike for typing rubbish of the highest order.

The guy has absolutely no idea what he is talking about. I guess he must be joking or something

Let me set a few things straight here

1. There is NO such thing (and has never been any such thing) like a "black African gene" or any thing similar. It is only the worlds most silly people would even spout nonsense like that.

2. The Australasians are Asians, completely Asians. They have no connections to Africans whatsoever irrespective of their skin colour or hair. Science has proven that

3. Africa is a continent of diverse colours from time immemorial. Before somebody comes on here to talk nonsense, they should learn about the history of places like North Africa. Some people here dont know WTF they are talking about
Re: The Black African Gene by VALIDATOR: 8:17am On Dec 10, 2010
@Rosike,
thank you for the enlightenment on the timbuktu manuscripts.
I however noticed that the oldest among those manuscripts were dated back to just 12th or 13th century AD and contains heavy arabic influence. If you will quickly go through arabic history,you will see that those timbuktu stuffs could not be called african civilization.they are arabic.
As far back as 6th century bc, europe already had very elaborate literary culture. The literary style of old testament of the Bible is a good example.
Nsibidi scripts is a very good eye opener for me and it really supports my position on the subject.

@brown/blackteeth,
i think you have  a very good observation.Africa was backwards since several millenia ago.However, i feel that your conclusion (blaming it on the genes) is too early to draw. Do you have any research pointers to it or are you making a hypothesis?

Here is my proposition,
Before the 4th millenium bc, humans the world over were more or less at par. But after the 4th millenium bc, africa kind of "stagnated" while others developed.

Really,i think studying civilizations all over the world with dates is the key to what we seek.
Re: The Black African Gene by Blackteeth(m): 10:44pm On Dec 10, 2010
Firstly the ancient Egyptians were black Africans. I'll leave you and your racist masters in Europe to distinguish what a ''pure black'' is from what a ''non-pure black'' is. References to ancient Egypt are references to a black African civilization. If you have a problem with that reference, start another thread on it.
I don't know which ancient black Egyptians you are talking about because according to the investigation carried out on the Egyptian mummies together with pictorial evidence showed that the ancient Egyptians weren't accurately and exactly as black as we are. Even though they were Africans. My focus is on the Sub Saharan black man that we belong to. Saying the ancient Egyptians were black is an inaccurate form of description. The ancient Egyptians had black skin, but they are not the same stock with the sub Saharan black man. The Aborigines of Australia have black skins, but they are different from the Sub Saharan black man. Same thing goes for the Indians with black skin. 

The universities of Mali were black African established and run universities. Institutes like the Sankore University in Timbuktu educated thousands of Africans in various fields from law to religion, literature to medicine and the sciences.

See my post below on the Timbuktu Manuscripts, which you can google as well.

This university you are talking about was clearly brought in by the Persian Arabs of that time. It's not like the Malians set up the universities without foreign input. The fact that the university was writing in Arabic, a language owned by the Persians, simply showed that the visit by the Persian Arabs influenced the setting up of those universities. If the university was the original idea of the Malians, a Malian local language would have been used in those manuscripts.

Which universities existed even DURING the time the Europeans ruled Nigeria? Which universities did THEY build in their 80 year rulership of Nigeria?

Answer? A big fat ZERO

It was only AFTER they were driven out, in 1960, that we, AFRICANS, began to build universities in Nigeria.

Today we've built over a hundred universities in Nigeria alone. So we have NOTHING to 'thank' them for since they did NOTHING.

Your response is really funny indeed. YES no universities existed during the Europeans stay, but you failed to realize something. Don't you think that the coming of the Europeans opened our eyes and made us see what we were lacking and how far behind we were? The simple truth is that even though the Europeans did not establish any universities, they inspired us to do so after we interacted with them and saw for ourselves that we needed the kind of education they foreigners possessed. They fact that we copied some aspect of their university system is a proof of the influence. The truth remains that if Africa wasn't visited by the Europeans, Africa wouldn't have been what it is today. We would have been more backward than we are today. Believe it or not. AFRICA'S INTERACTION WITH THE EUROPEANS DID MORE GOOD TO US THAN BAD. open your eyes and realize it.

Probably more than were educated by the time the Brits left 80 yrs later with our literacy rate at 5% at independence.

The reason Nigerians are educated today is because NIGERIANS are in power, who INVESTED HEAVILY in mass education from independence till date.

Who told you that? Weren't there high schools established by the English? I have come across some secondary schools built around 1929 by the English men. Go and ask your father how the quality of education was under the English supervision. You have to understand that the English men started it first before we took over from where they stopped by establishing universities.

Life doesn't work like that. A young and complex country like Nigeria with a turbulent history, which only got its first modern university in 1960, WILL HAVE TO go through decades of turmoil  and nation building before becoming a fully developed nation.

For how long? Isn't it a shame and sign of weakness that foreigners fixed us in a country? Why didn't we do it ourselves and resolve the issues too.

What is wrong with the behaviour of a Masai?

I didn't say anything was wrong. I was only citing an example.

koruji:

@Blackteeth
You truly are ignorant. My stomach turns as I attempt to read the vomit proceeding from you.

Can you tell me your purpose for these things you are writing? It certainly not for enlightenment. Are you writing some kind of school paper? Are you engaged in a mind warping religious experiment? Are you drunk or on drugs? Are you depressed? Are you. . .?

I am fumbling for reasons on your behalf because it is hard to believe someone would keep insisting that he, his parents, his nation and his race are either DIVINELY CURSED or GENETICALLY DESIGNED TO BE DUMB.

Go through my posts and tell me where I have directly said Africans were genetically designed to be dumb. I am only asking if it is the likely situation of things.
Re: The Black African Gene by redsun(m): 11:23pm On Dec 10, 2010
Genes are conditioned by biological,environmental and societal factors. A child brought up in an unreasonable,unproductive and unconstructive society like naija is most likely to tow d line of irrtionality and hopelessness.
Re: The Black African Gene by sage(m): 1:07am On Dec 11, 2010
koruji:

I think you meant to commend Rossike, at least on this thread, and disparage Brownteeth/Blackteeth/john_mace for the vomit that keeps coming from them. This is because most of what you wrote below actually agrees with what Rossike have being writing, except the Australasian thing. He is actually not saying they are Africans - but blacks. What genetic study suggests is that the Australian aboriginals were among the first set of people to leave the African continent 40-60 thousand years ago.

In essence, genetics is telling us that every human being is African - Africans dispersed by many factors through out the world over many thousands of years.

No I actually ment the guy I originally referenced

The term "black" is a completely meaningless term to be honest. Australasians are connected to other Asians like Japanese people etc regardless of skin colour. genetic studies prove that. They are about the least connected to Africans of everybody on earth.

Also with regards to North Africa, some people dont actually understand the history of that part of our continent. People need to do their research before they start speaking on what they dont know anything about. Not all Africans are dark skinned amnd the indigenous populations of North Africa is testament to a diverse continent.
Re: The Black African Gene by koruji(m): 1:56am On Dec 11, 2010
sage:

No I actually ment the guy I originally referenced
>>>Ok then. The guy doesn't seem to be complaining anyway.

The term "black" is a completely meaningless term to be honest. Australasians are connected to other Asians like Japanese people etc regardless of skin colour. genetic studies prove that. They are about the least connected to Africans of everybody on earth.
>>>The question is why is that so?
The answer actually bolsters the out-of-Africa hypothesis even more. Look at it like this: Who are the people likely to have the most distance in gene differentiation from those that remained on the African continent. That would be the group that split off first - at least among living humans. That would be who? The Australasians.

It is easy to equate black with Africa because that is the global interpretation. In essence, we (all humans) are all Africans, and the suggestion that "The Black African Gene" is somehow defective is plain crazy. Africa/Blacks have suffered, and continue to suffer, from external aggressors and internal traitors (these remains the biggest problems we currently face) - these are the things we need to get rid off, then we will blosom again.

Also with regards to North Africa, some people dont actually understand the history of that part of our continent. People need to do their research before they start speaking on what they dont know anything about. Not all Africans are dark skinned and the indigenous populations of North Africa is testament to a diverse continent.
>>>Hence, no fool should come here talking about a defective "Black African Gene"
Re: The Black African Gene by koruji(m): 2:46am On Dec 11, 2010
Blackteeth:

Go through my posts and tell me where I have directly said Africans were genetically designed to be dumb. I am only asking if it is the likely situation of things.

You didn't have to say it exactly as I said it, but that is what most of your statements here imply, if you don't realize (and you did say only a revelation of a divine curse would explain the African situation - even worse). Still, I am not surprised because to support your argument that there is something wrong with the "Black African Gene" you say the following:

You, not just your arguments, are full of holes. It seems you have a wall between the two sides of your brain. Otherwise, your statement above actually means that "there is nothing wrong with the African gene" - unless growing up around Europeans constitute, in your view, "gene surgery"
Re: The Black African Gene by Blackteeth(m): 10:20am On Dec 11, 2010
@Koruji. I still have to repeat that I never made a direct statement to say Africans were cursed. When I said only a revealation of a divine curse will explain the situation in Africa, I said it out of frustration because the economic and political reasons you mentioned as an excuse has not truly explained the situation in Africa. So what other cause is there again to hang on to? The fact is sub-sharan Africans MAY or MAY NOT have a defect because either way cannot be accurately proven. That is why I am ASKING if it has to do with the genetic make up of blacks. The reason why it has appeared like I am directly saying that Africans were cursed is because poster ROSSIKE has been saying that Sub-saharan Africans gave civilization, writing and organized mass education to the world. And my position has been that Sub saharan Africans did not introduce those things to the world.
Re: The Black African Gene by koruji(m): 2:14pm On Dec 11, 2010
Blackteeth:

@Koruji. I still have to repeat that I never made a direct statement to say Africans were cursed. When I said only a revealation of a divine curse will explain the situation in Africa, I said it out of frustration because the economic and political reasons you mentioned as an excuse has not truly explained the situation in Africa. So what other cause is there again to hang on to?

@Blackteeth
There are a 1001 ways to say the same thing, so you don't have to make a direct statement - but your statement actually came really close to being direct. [size=14pt]When you use the word ONLY in regard to a divine curse on Africans[/size] you rule out all other explanations. May be that is not what you wanted to say, but that is what you said!

You claim that "the economic and political reasons" has not truly explained the African situation. However, you reject them off-hand. Even if you are not convinced the best option is to engage in extensive reading - thank God we are living in this century where the truth about ancient Africa, and not the balderwash the racists wrote hundred of years ago, is being revealed with each passing day. On the other hand you "hang on to" a curse as the ONLY explanation? Are you already sure of that? Again, the best option is to read widely about the subject to enlighten yourself. Most of your explanations here are EXACTLY THE SALVE THOSE WHO DID US HARM APPLIED TO THEIR CONSCIENCES - First, it was that Africans were animals, oh wait they are not animals but cannibals, then it was that if they are people just like us their enslavement is justificed because Noah cursed Canaan in the Bible, they have the color of the devil, etc.
Re: The Black African Gene by sage(m): 3:03pm On Dec 11, 2010
koruji:

@Blackteeth
There are a 1001 ways to say the same thing, so you don't have to make a direct statement - but your statement actually came really close to being direct. [size=14pt]When you use the word ONLY in regard to a divine curse on Africans[/size] you rule out all other explanations. May be that is not what you wanted to say, but that is what you said!

You claim that "the economic and political reasons" has not truly explained the African situation. However, you reject them off-hand. Even if you are not convinced the best option is to engage in extensive reading - thank God we are living in this century where the truth about ancient Africa, and not the balderwash the racists wrote hundred of years ago, is being revealed with each passing day. On the other hand you "hang on to" a curse as the ONLY explanation? Are you already sure of that? Again, the best option is to read widely about the subject to enlighten yourself. Most of your explanations here are EXACTLY THE SALVE THOSE WHO DID US HARM APPLIED TO THEIR CONSCIENCES - First, it was that Africans were animals, oh wait they are not animals but cannibals, then it was that if they are people just like us their enslavement is justificed because Noah cursed Canaan in the Bible, they have the color of the devil, etc.

I agree with you. Looking back at it, you were correct for the most part.
There is NO such thing as a "black African" gene so it is stupidity on peoples part to suggest a defect due to something that does not exist.
I was just trying to correct Rossike on North Africa. Even before the arrival of Arabs, North Africa had indigenous people whose skin colour wasnt dark or "black"
Re: The Black African Gene by Blackteeth(m): 6:38pm On Dec 11, 2010
@Koruji. Didn't I tell you that I said the divine curse thing out of fustration?? Besides I never said a genetic defect is a confirmed explanation. I only asked what other explanation is left to hang on to since the economic and political reasons have failed to address the issue properly. Anyway, you shouldn't completely rule out the divine curse/gene theory because none of us knew what happened before we came into existence. The divine curse/gene theory stands as a probability and not a fact. Do you get it?
Re: The Black African Gene by Horus(m): 7:20pm On Dec 11, 2010
Imagine Haiti which gained independence in 1804, after over 200 years is still a poor country, infact haiti is the poorest country in the western hemisphere. What is indeed wrong with the black race?

Between 1804 and 1915, Haiti was one of the richest country in the western hemisphere before the American invasion and occupation of Haiti (1915-1934).  The Americans after killing more than 12.000 haitians liquidated the National Bank of Haiti, imposed forced labor on much of the population and prohibited Blacks from entering hotels and restaurants. With the pretext of protecting the Haitian gold reserves, they carried 100% of the gold off to strong boxes in New York. And you blame "The Black Gene" for this situation in Haiti?
Re: The Black African Gene by Nobody: 9:22pm On Dec 11, 2010
VALIDATOR SAID:

@Rosike,
thank you for the enlightenment on the timbuktu manuscripts.
I however noticed that the oldest among those manuscripts were dated back to just 12th or 13th century AD and contains heavy arabic influence. If you will quickly go through arabic history,you will see that those timbuktu stuffs could not be called african civilization.they are arabic.

This is patently ridiculous.

It's as silly as saying that what we are doing here in Africa today is not African civilization. Our schools and universities today are not African universities. Since they're 'influenced by English, Christianity' etc etc, so Africans cannot be credited with whatever successes we achieve today.

Sounds preposterous doesn't it?

Well that's exactly what you're saying.

If you want to go down that line, we can conclude that Arabic itself is not from the Arabs. The script was derived from the script of the Nabateans, whose script came from the Phoenicians, whose own script came from African hieroglyphs.

So whose writing really is it?

Ancient Hieroglyph writing has been found as far south as Sudan and Nigeria with the Meroitic script of the Kush empire a well known version.

In Nigeria, Olumide Lucas, the great Yoruba historian, speaks of the survival of Yoruba hieroplyphs.

The statue of Oranyan in Ife, ancient symbol of the Yoruba, has hieroglyph inscriptions on it.

Another ancient script is the Ethiopic script. These were the common writing scripts in Africa and beyond millenia before there was an 'Arabic script' or a 'Latin script' etc etc.

The idea that Africans - BLACK Africans - invented writing, is not actually disputable unless one is ignorant of African history. The early Greek scholars gave credit to the ''Ethiopians'', ie 'sub Saharan' Africans, as the originators of writing, religion, sciences, and laws. Study the works of Diodorus Sicilus. Study the accounts of Plato, Herodotus, Homer, and others.

Just because the modern western establishment chooses to ignore the roots and fountain of their civilization  - Africa - does not mean we should sit here and play dumb to their obfuscation.

As far back as 6th century bc, europe already had very elaborate literary culture. The literary style of old testament of the Bible is a good example.

In world history, Europe is a newcomer to writing and a 'literary culture'. When the pyramids were finished, Europe had given the world not one organized civilization, even Asia was just stirring.

Here's a broad chronology:

2500 BC – The African people along the river valleys of the eastern highlands floated stones down the Nile to help build monuments to God.

2500 BC Xia Dynasty rises in China

2200 BC Harrapa and Mohenjo Daro were found in India

800 BC Homer is the first voice of the Greeks

500 BC Romans come to power in Europe.

639 AD Arabs are able to cross into Africa with force under General El As from Arabia-Yemen.

Thousands of years before Greece, Europe's first proper civilization, Africans - black Africans - were churning out scientific and other academic works alien to Europe. Do you know that the Greek philosophers like Aristotle, Plato, and co, who all studied in Egypt under African masters, were PERSECUTED in Greece for teaching ''foreign mysteries''?

Nsibidi scripts is a very good eye opener for me and it really supports my position on the subject.

The Nsibidi scripts are valid examples of pre-colonial African literacy in the forest regions of the south.
Re: The Black African Gene by Nobody: 10:31pm On Dec 11, 2010
Blackteeth said:

I don't know which ancient black Egyptians you are talking about because according to the investigation carried out on the Egyptian mummies together with pictorial evidence showed that the ancient Egyptians weren't accurately and exactly as black as we are. Even though they were Africans. My focus is on the Sub Saharan black man that we belong to. Saying the ancient Egyptians were black is an inaccurate form of description. The ancient Egyptians had black skin, but they are not the same stock with the sub Saharan black man.

Do you realise how ridiculous you sound?  Get this, A BLACK PERSON IS A BLACK PERSON. PERIOD.

This thing you're typing is just racist hogwash. Are Spanish, Greeks, Swedes, Germans, Turks and Italians not white people?

Does anyone go around separating Greek from German, or English from Italian, when discussing European or white  history?

This nonsense you're on about came from the now discredited 'Hamitic Hypotheses' a racist construct whereby racist European ''scholars'' of the 18th century, to justify the enslavement of West and central Africans sought to excise those Africans from their glorious past, by claiming that Nile valley Africans were ''black skinned whites''.

Thus, in their warped conception, although the ancient Egyptians were blacks, they were in fact white!!

Being black from head to toe does not qualify a person to be called black! 

I really will not countenance that nonsense further.

I started a thread earlier filled with proof of ancient black Egypt. You can click on there and learn.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-326177.0.html

This university you are talking about was clearly brought in by the Persian Arabs of that time. It's not like the Malians set up the universities without foreign input.

This is a highly inaccurate reading of what transpired. Persian Arabs did not ''bring in'' the universities in Timbuktu any more than Irish Europeans ''brought in'' the University of Lagos.

The fact that the university used  Arabic, a language owned by the Persians, simply showed that the visit by the Persian Arabs influenced the setting up of those universities. If the university was the original idea of the Malians, a Malian local language would have been used in those manuscripts.

Arabic was the language of trade and commerce as a result of the Arab conquest of the levant, north Africa and southern Europe from 600 AD. This does not mean that Arabs built or were 'responsible for' the universities in Mali.

Mali was a powerful, independent empire with a strong administrative structure and bureaucracy not given to foreign dictatorship of any sort. The Malians actually converted the Arabic script into an Africanized variant called Ajami. In addition, the Timbuktu Manuscripts contain several volumes of books written in African languages, penned in the Ajami script - the rough equivalent of using the English script to write in Yoruba, Igbo etc as we do today.

The important thing is that there was literacy. The govts which established these schools were independent black-run governments which decided to establish learning as far back as the 12th century. In addition to universities, Timbuktu had over 180 intermediate schools. Many other cities across the empire had these institutes.

Going back far enough as earlier shown, Arabic itself was ultimately derived from ancient African hieroglyphs. So whose writing really, is it? Truth be told, ALL the  major written scripts in existence today are merely bastardized renditions of the ancient African script.

Answer? A big fat ZERO

Your response is really funny indeed. YES no universities existed during the Europeans stay, but you failed to realize something. Don't you think that the coming of the Europeans opened our eyes and made us see what we were lacking and how far behind we were? The simple truth is that even though the Europeans did not establish any universities, they inspired us to do so after we interacted with them and saw for ourselves that we needed the kind of education they foreigners possessed. They fact that we copied some aspect of their university system is a proof of the influence. The truth remains that if Africa wasn't visited by the Europeans, Africa wouldn't have been what it is today. We would have been more backward than we are today. Believe it or not. AFRICA'S INTERACTION WITH THE EUROPEANS DID MORE GOOD TO US THAN BAD. open your eyes and realize it.

Well, African interaction with ancient Europe, whereby Africans taught them writing, architecture, and the sciences, is what led to the white people acquiring any development in the first place.

Also, it is YOU who needs to open your eyes. You don't know how ''backward'' we would have been had European SLAVE SHIPS not arrived 500 years ago, turning everything upside down. Their ''visit'' did not start with colonialism. Their ''visit'' started with their slave ships berthing and threatening coastal village chiefs to sell their people or risk annihilation. This led to wars among ethnic groups and tribes, and a trade that disrupted African civilization like nothing else has, paving the way for colonisation.

If the European slave trade, Arab raids in the interior, and later European colonialism had not disrupted the continent's development, who knows what would have become of the great empires of Mali, of Songhai, of Ghana, of Benin? These empires up till about the 16th century, were as advanced as anywhere in Europe at the time, and were favourably compared with their counterparts around the world, by visiting explorers.

There's no reason to suppose they wouldn't have continued to progress down to our time, like say, the Russians, the Chinese, or the Turks,  if the Europeans/Arabs had simply continued to trade fairly with them as they did initially.

You do realise that the Benin Emperor exchanged ambassadors with Portugal as early as the 15th century, and that in Benin, each trading partner nation had its own governmental department set up for it by the Benin leadership?

They had a bureaucracy that would most certainly have developed in scope and complexity as the centuries wore on.

A trend started whereby the elite of Benin began sending their children to be educated in Europe. Without the disruption wrought by the slave trade, it wouldn't have been long before those offspring would have begun setting up schools at home, especially following their ascension, as the succeeding elite generation, to the helm of office. 

The Benin even at some point in the 16th century began manufacturing their own guns. So there was societal dynamism, movement and information flow, especially in settled, prosperous states like Benin. Hence, there is no reason to suppose that modern knowledge would not have spread eventually to impact these African societies, in the absence of slavery and colonialism.

Who told you that? Weren't there high schools established by the English?

How many?

2?

3?

20?

I have come across some secondary schools built around 1929 by the English men. Go and ask your father how the quality of education was under the English supervision. You have to understand that the English men started it first before we took over from where they stopped by establishing universities.

Stop deceiving yourself. Go and ask your father how many people were opportuned to enjoy education under colonial rule. I'll answer for you. Less than 7% of the population. The English left you after their 80 year rule with a 7% literacy rate. Today, that figure has jumped to 75% in only 50 years of Nigerian leadership.

You really need to take your irrational worship of whites and stick it where the sun doesn't shine.
Re: The Black African Gene by oyinda3(f): 1:01am On Dec 12, 2010

AFRICA'S INTERACTION WITH THE EUROPEANS DID MORE GOOD TO US THAN BAD. open your eyes and realize it.

This is a most ridiculous comment. you need serious deliverance.
Re: The Black African Gene by Blackteeth(m): 11:33pm On Dec 12, 2010
A BLACK PERSON IS A BLACK PERSON. PERIOD.

If that is what you are saying then we can safely conclude that a white person is a white person too. Anyone with a very fair skin is simply a white person. The Asians, Arabs, latinos and Africans with fair skins are whites as well. Are you now satisfied?

This is a highly inaccurate reading of what transpired. Persian Arabs did not ''bring in'' the universities in Timbuktu any more than Irish Europeans ''brought in'' the University of Lagos.

I think I may have used the wrong word ''brought in'' rather than saying influenced. This university you are talking about mainly taught Quranic principles. Since the Quran/Islamic faith originated from the then Persia, it means that the setting up of the university was influenced by the Persians during the course of the interaction Mali had with the Arabs.

Also, it is YOU who needs to open your eyes. You don't know how ''backward'' we would have been had European SLAVE SHIPS not arrived 500 years ago, turning everything upside down. Their ''visit'' did not start with colonialism. Their ''visit'' started with their slave ships berthing and threatening coastal village chiefs to sell their people or risk annihilation. This led to wars among ethnic groups and tribes, and a trade that disrupted African civilization like nothing else has, paving the way for colonisation.

Then tell me why Africans were so weak that the Europeans came with their ships and cratered them away as easy as taking out chickens from the poultry? Why didn't the Europeans go to Asia and the middle east to get slaves? Weren't there human beings there?

How many?

2?

3?

20?

How do you expect the English men to set up 1000 schools for you at a go in place where a single school never existed? The most important thing is they inspired us to set up more schools for ourselves. The fact that they were the spear head of education In Nigeria is enough to give to them credit.

Stop deceiving yourself. Go and ask your father how many people were opportuned to enjoy education under colonial rule. I'll answer for you. Less than 7% of the population. The English left you after their 80 year rule with a 7% literacy rate. Today, that figure has jumped to 75% in only 50 years of Nigerian leadership.

Stop deceiving yourself too. Did Nigerians establish any schools for themselves before the English men came? Why didn't we educate ourselves before the colonial masters came?

oyinda.:

This is a most ridiculous comment. you need serious deliverance.

Why didn't you prove me wrong rather than throwing a futile insulting statement and disappearing.
Re: The Black African Gene by yeswecan(m): 12:02am On Dec 13, 2010
Horus:

Between 1804 and 1915[b], Haiti was one of the richest country in the western hemisphere before the American invasion and occupation of Haiti (1915-1934)[/b].  The Americans after killing more than 12.000 haitians liquidated the National Bank of Haiti, imposed forced labor on much of the population and prohibited Blacks from entering hotels and restaurants. With the pretext of protecting the Haitian gold reserves, they carried 100% of the gold off to strong boxes in New York. And you blame "The Black Gene" for this situation in Haiti?

You are badly informed.  Are you meant to tell me that Haiti was relatively developed before 1915? can you really say that?

I join the hypothesis that there could be something wrong with the black mind - this is not far fetched from the fact that a better part of our history was successfully erased - what we have now are patches of early events viewed through hybrid mindset. We are confused ain't we? we want to be Africans and westerners at the same time. Turn to religion - it is just as eurocentric as what we you were taught in school - even Nigeria schools. How can a mime be confident in his own skin when the original deal is out there. . .  Asians are doing just fine because they followed their own traditional ways of life, mode of development and in some occasions their own language - not trying to appear like Europeans or Americans. . . that is where the problem lies . .  we are trapped between two world hence confused.
Re: The Black African Gene by oyinda3(f): 1:19am On Dec 13, 2010
Blackteeth:

Why didn't you prove me wrong rather than throwing a futile insulting statement and disappearing.

How can you say that  interaction with Europeans brought Africa more good than bad. You obviously do not know your history.
my opinion is that you will have to learn the hard way. you are best left to wallow in your inferiority complex.

Anyways, in my opinion, inferiority complex is one of the hindrances that have kept us from advancing.
how can one progress when he has internalized the idea that he is inferior to all of his peers?

You ask me to prove you wrong that blacks have a st[size=1pt].[/size]upid gene. are you kidding me? The "gene" theory has been  proved wrong and debunked a long time ago!!
the europeans came up with the "scientific fact" that blacks had smaller brains and silly genes etc. This racist pseudoscience was used  to justify a lot of the atrocities they committed against blacks, native americans and dark skinned people.
Even the nazis used the same argument on the jews. i.e pure aryan race.
And you are asking me, a black person, to agree with you that I have a st[size=1pt].[/size]upid gene. You are a fool for that. I will insult you. yes. because you have already insulted me with this topic and your racist posts about blacks.
Re: The Black African Gene by Horus(m): 3:10am On Dec 13, 2010
Are you meant to tell me that Haiti was relatively developed before 1915? can you really say that?

Yes before 1915 Haiti was the wealthiest and most flourishing of all islands in the Caribbean. Do your researchs, talk to historians. And there is nothing wrong with the black gene, this is just a european propaganda. We have to fight against the lies and ignorance created by the european which keep the minds of African people imprisoned and their spiritual strength weak. To make it plainer, the only revolution the African masses can win at this time is a mental and spiritual revolution, which will put the African masses in mental and spiritual power. Then they will have the power to do anything else that may be necessary for complete liberation and well being.
Re: The Black African Gene by Nobody: 3:27am On Dec 13, 2010
Blackteeth said:

A BLACK PERSON IS A BLACK PERSON. PERIOD.

If that is what you are saying then we can safely conclude that a white person is a white person too. Anyone with a very fair skin is simply a white person. The Asians, Arabs, latinos and Africans with fair skins are whites as well. Are you now satisfied?

Whites are Caucasians whose ancestral home is Europe. Blacks are Negroids whose ancestral home is Africa.

I think I may have used the wrong word ''brought in'' rather than saying influenced. This university you are talking about mainly taught Quranic principles.

The ''university I am talking about''?  Mali had several universities (plural). They actually have NAMES, those universities, in case you didn't notice. And no, they did not ''teach mainly quranic principles''. Why don't you research what courses those universities specialised in? I even listed the courses above, yet that flew completely over your head. I think the problem is nothing to do with ''black people''. The problem is that YOU are not very bright.

Since the Quran/Islamic faith originated from the then Persia, it means that the setting up of the university was influenced by the Persians during the course of the interaction Mali had with the Arabs.

I already explained to you the political circumstances in which the universities were established. Talking about this or that 'influence' is silly, because there is no part of the world that is not 'influenced' by the other. Europe itself is heavily influenced by what they learnt from Africa, Asia etc.

You might as well credit Africans for the cities you have in Europe today, plus all their buildings.

Is there any building in Europe as old as the Sudanese pyramids?

Do you know some of the pyramids and temples of Sudan are older than the oldest ones in Egypt?

Lord Lugard's wife, Flora Shaw Lugard, wrote that. She was a historian and wife of the British Governor General of Nigeria.

Her words:

"When the history of Negroland comes to be written in detail, it may be found that the kingdoms lying towards the eastern end of Sudan (classical home of Ancient Ethiopians) were the home of races who inspired, rather than of races who received, the tradition of civilization associated for us with the name of ancient Egypt. For they cover on either side of the Upper Nile between the latitudes of ten degrees and seventeen degrees, territories in which are found monuments more ancient than the oldest Egyptian monuments. If this should prove to be the case and civilized world be forced to recognize in a black people the fount of its original enlightenment, it may happen that we shall have to revise entirely our view of the black races, and regard those who now exist as the decadent representatives of an almost forgotten era, rather than as the embryonic possibility of an era yet to come."

"The fame of the ancient Ethiopians (ancient Kushites) was widespread in ancient history. Homer described them as the most just of men, the favorites of the gods. The annals of all the great early nations of Asia Minor full of them. The Mosaic records allude to them frequently; but while they are described as the most powerful, the most just, and the most beautiful of the human race, they are constantly spoken of as Black, and there seems to be no other conclusion to be drawn than that remote period of history, the leading race of the Western World was a Black race."

Lady Lugard/Flora Shaw Lugard, Asa G. Hilliard, III, A Tropical Dependency: An Outline of the Ancient History of the Western Sudan With an Account of the Modern Settlement of Northern Nigeria, Black Classic Press (1996)

So, based on this testimony by none other than the very people who colonised us, I think it's more than fair to mention the AFRICAN INFLUENCE on what has become today known as 'civilization'.

Since THAT was the first and original INFLUENCE exerted on mankind, THAT should be the first to be recalled in any discourse on ''influences''.

Then tell me why Africans were so weak that the Europeans came with their ships and cratered them away as easy as taking out chickens from the poultry? Why didn't the Europeans go to Asia and the middle east to get slaves? Weren't there human beings there?

Both I and VALIDATOR have outlined in clear terms the factors militating against African development on this thread. Go back and read and stop repeating questions after they've been answered.

And Europe DID start their slave trade first with Asians, but this became uneconomical for them after the Asians proved too 'physically weak' for the task.

How many?

2?

3?

20?

How do you expect the English men to set up 1000 schools for you at a go in place where a single school never existed?

You are wrong to state 'a single school never existed'. Schools existed in the north, and in the south, artisan training schools, apprenticeships, and guilds existed. How else did we manage to train our blacksmiths, our gold miners, our textile makers, our sculptors, our carpenters, our farmers, our hunters, and our pastoralists?

Not a single one of those tasks can be performed without specialised training.

What you should say is that modern/western educational institutes were not in existence. And nothing stopped the English from setting up ''1000 schools''. They should have set up 5,000 in fact, considering the billions of dollars they made from exporting our resources. Instead, only a tiny, negligible minority was granted modern education. There is nothing to be ''grateful'' about THAT. What you SHOULD be grateful for is that NIGERIANS took over power, without which YOU would be a village peasant today, and an illiterate one at that.

Which would be probably no less than you deserve given the questionable use to which you've put your education around here.
Re: The Black African Gene by Blackteeth(m): 11:55am On Dec 13, 2010
oyinda.:

How can you say that  interaction with Europeans brought Africa more good than bad. You obviously do not know your history.
my opinion is that you will have to learn the hard way. you are best left to wallow in your inferiority complex.

Anyways, in my opinion, inferiority complex is one of the hindrances that have kept us from advancing.
how can one progress when he has internalized the idea that he is inferior to all of his peers?

You ask me to prove you wrong that blacks have a st[size=1pt].[/size]upid gene. are you kidding me? The "gene" theory has been  proved wrong and debunked a long time ago!!
the europeans came up with the "scientific fact" that blacks had smaller brains and silly genes etc. This racist pseudoscience was used  to justify a lot of the atrocities they committed against blacks, native americans and dark skinned people.
Even the nazis used the same argument on the jews. i.e pure aryan race.
And you are asking me, a black person, to agree with you that I have a st[size=1pt].[/size]upid gene. You are a fool for that. I will insult you. yes. because you have already insulted me with this topic and your racist posts about blacks.

Hehehe. My friend go and have a sit. First of all I have to repeat again that I never made any direct statement to say that Africans have a faulty gene. Go back to my original post and see that I asked a question if that is probably the situation of things.

Secondly, what do you think Nigeria/Africa would have been like if we were on a planet of our own and never came into contact with the Europeans? The Europeans brought in new knowledge to us including most of the things we use in our daily lives Today ranging from toothbrush to Cars and modern medicine . I doubt if Africans would have had this much knowledge and enjoying these wonders of  technology at the level of this present day if actually we were on different planet away from contact with the Europeans. I believe Africans may invent one or two things on their own, but not close to the present day level of knowlegde.

Talking about the inferiority complex issue you brought up, I have said it several times that this topic isn't about inferiority complex, but the quest to know the truth why Africans are behind. We shouldn't shy away from taking a deep examination simply because it is the race we belong to.

Whites are Caucasians whose ancestral home is Europe. Blacks are Negroids whose ancestral home is Africa.

I didn't ask you about anyone's continent of origin. You said a black skin is automatically a black man, therefore a fair skin is also automatically a white man. Concluded.

The ''university I am talking about''?  Mali had several universities (plural). They actually have NAMES, those universities, in case you didn't notice. And no, they did not ''teach mainly quranic principles''. Why don't you research what courses those universities specialised in? I even listed the courses above, yet that flew completely over your head. I think the problem is nothing to do with ''black people''. The problem is that YOU are not very bright.
If actually you are the one ''very bright'' why didn't you observe that saying ''mainly Quranic'' is not the same with saying ''only Quranic'' which you presumed it to be. I said ''mainly Quranic'' meaning that other subjects may be included, but the teaching of Islam is their main area. Anyway, I would still repeat that the Persians influenced the setting up of those universities.

I already explained to you the political circumstances in which the universities were established. Talking about this or that 'influence' is silly, because there is no part of the world that is not 'influenced' by the other. Europe itself is heavily influenced by what they learnt from Africa, Asia etc.

You might as well credit Africans for the cities you have in Europe today, plus all their buildings.

Is there any building in Europe as old as the Sudanese pyramids?

Am glad the part in bold has finally showed that foreigners played a heavy role in educating Africans as against your claim that Africans educated the world.
Concerning the part talking of cities and building, I don't know which African cities had bitumen tarred roads and sky scrappers before the Europeans got theirs that would make us believe they copied from us.

Both I and VALIDATOR have outlined in clear terms the factors militating against African development on this thread. Go back and read and stop repeating questions after they've been answered.

And Europe DID start their slave trade first with Asians, but this became uneconomical for them after the Asians proved too 'physically weak' for the task.

What was your answer again? The same slavery, colonization and blaming the white man?? Sorry you haven't answered the question yet. Therefore am asking again.

You are wrong to state 'a single school never existed'. Schools existed in the north, and in the south, artisan training schools, apprenticeships, and guilds existed. How else did we manage to train our blacksmiths, our gold miners, our textile makers, our sculptors, our carpenters, our farmers, our hunters, and our pastoralists?

Not a single one of those tasks can be performed without specialised training.

What you should say is that modern/western educational institutes were not in existence. And nothing stopped the English from setting up ''1000 schools''. They should have set up 5,000 in fact, considering the billions of dollars they made from exporting our resources. Instead, only a tiny, negligible minority was granted modern education. There is nothing to be ''grateful'' about THAT. What you SHOULD be grateful for is that NIGERIANS took over power, without which YOU would be a village peasant today, and an illiterate one at that.

Which would be probably no less than you deserve given the questionable use to which you've put your education around here.

Am happy you understood the kind of school I was referring to and save me some stress of re explaining. The question for you is, why should you expect the white man to establish 5000 schools for you? Why didn't we establish OUR OWN modern schools ourselves before the white man's coming? You expect them to give you schools because they were exporting our resources Funny indeed. Why didn't we export our own resources and provide schools for ourselves? This is to show the extent of Africa's weakness which I am asking in this thread whether it's runs in their gene or what. Your statement should be changed to; What you SHOULD be grateful for is that the BRITISH took over power, without which YOU would be a village peasant today, and an illiterate one at that ( Because the inspiration Nigeria had to build more schools came from the Europeans)
Re: The Black African Gene by Arosa(m): 12:47pm On Dec 13, 2010
Secondly, what do you think Nigeria/Africa would have been like if we were on a planet of our own and never came into contact with the Europeans? The Europeans brought in new knowledge to us including most of the things we use in our daily lives Today ranging from toothbrush to Cars and modern medicine . I doubt if Africans would have had this much knowledge and enjoying these wonders of  technology at the level of this present day if actually we were on different planet away from contact with the Europeans. I believe Africans may invent one or two on their own, but not close to the present day level of knowlegde.

Good question, But also think Europe would have been like if they were on a planet of their own, without contact with the rest of the world?
Mind you about two thousand years ago some Europeans were still living in caves.
Re: The Black African Gene by Blackteeth(m): 1:14pm On Dec 13, 2010
^^^ Of course it is absolute fact that the whites were living in caves thousands of years ago. But what I wish to understand is how Africa ''introduced'' civilization to them and didn't help themselves out of the cave with their knowledge of civilization to the present day.
The Europeans had some foreign influence, but not SO MUCH as when compared to Africa. Most of what they do today where brought up themselves. But in the case of Africa, even the clothes they wear and the official languages isn't there own idea, before we start mentioning the knowledge aspect.
Re: The Black African Gene by VALIDATOR: 5:08pm On Dec 13, 2010
@blackteeth,
i think your method of analysis makes it difficult for you to draw conclusions only from effects of political actions. the clothes we wear and the official languages aren't african. those are effects of colonization.
the official currency of most part of the world is the US dollar. that is an effect of american "colonization" of the rest of the world.
history is usually rewritten in a way that makes the ruling power appear to be the smart and right one. It is only the availability of old records that prove them otherwise.

black africa did not have such written records. there may have been attempts to develop some for of writing such as the nsibidi scripts (pointed out by rossike) but it didn't develop far.

archeaological evidences (such as dug up artifacts and architecture) did not show that black africa lagged behind others until about the 4th millenium bc.

i believe that whatever africa's problem is MUST be traced to what went wrong during and after the 4th millenium bc.
Re: The Black African Gene by johnblaze1: 10:21pm On Dec 13, 2010
@blackteeth

I am quite impressed with your knowledge and background of the subject matter, you have really done your homework before coming on this thread. To say the least the average african lacks what is referred to as "auto-transcendence" that is to say to ability to move from one stage of civilisation to the next, we simply remained in our primitive state for thousands of years untill the Europeans(a more advanced civilisation) came and colonised us,teaching us pretty much everything we know today.

Another reason why I feel africa is so underdeveloped is because we ascribe so much to the spiritual,the average african is very spiritual and this prevents the development of free thought and expression, people who made remarks that was contrary to the status quo were killed or ostracised, but in other civilisation except african freedom of thought thrived and that in the sense broaden their civilsation.

we should learn to confront the truth which in most cases in very bitter, africa is simply a continent that has refused to develop.
Re: The Black African Gene by johnblaze1: 10:30pm On Dec 13, 2010
blackteeth asked a question and no one is yet to answer it, can you mention on great civilisation that existed in sub-sahara africa? Most civilisation that existed in those regions were pretty much primitive and that was why when the europeans came they quickly crushed them and subdue them. Its quite unfortunate but its the hard truth, the europeans came with their guns, cannon, war ship and other artillery while the primitive africans fought them with their bows and arrows!! how the hell did we think we could defeat them, and yet some people still talk about great african civilisation.
Re: The Black African Gene by koruji(m): 12:18am On Dec 14, 2010
@john_blaze
I am impressed also by your ability to hold on to your idea without letting facts get in the way. Given your "brilliant" expositions on this matter, you must surely have other insights into Africa's development. Please inform me:

1. How Africa might go about developing?
2. What you, personally, be doing along those lines?

Waiting. . .

john_blaze:

@blackteeth

I am quite impressed with your knowledge and background of the subject matter, you have really done your homework before coming on this thread. To say the least the average african lacks what is referred to as "auto-transcendence" that is to say to ability to move from one stage of civilisation to the next, we simply remained in our primitive state for thousands of years untill the Europeans(a more advanced civilisation) came and colonised us,teaching us pretty much everything we know today.

Another reason why I feel africa is so underdeveloped is because we ascribe so much to the spiritual,the average african is very spiritual and this prevents the development of free thought and expression, people who made remarks that was contrary to the status quo were killed or ostracised, but in other civilisation except african freedom of thought thrived and that in the sense broaden their civilsation.

we should learn to confront the truth which in most cases in very bitter, africa is simply a continent that has refused to develop.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

LIVE: Special House Of Reps Session On Bribery Scandal / Breaking News: I'd Rather Resign Than Postpone Elections - Prof. Jega / False Asset Charge: Saraki Closes Defence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 241
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.