Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,907 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:59 PM

Mark And Bankole To Buy Official Residences ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mark And Bankole To Buy Official Residences ! (4158 Views)

Bankole - Our Leaders Love To Rule And Die In Office / Boko Haram Burns Residences Of Speaker Of Yobe State House Of Assembly / Mark And Bankole To Buy Official Residences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mark And Bankole To Buy Official Residences ! by wales(m): 8:22am On Dec 06, 2010
On Tuesday, November 30, 2010, President Goodluck Jonathan approved the sale of the official residences of the presiding officers of the National Assembly. The Senate President, the Deputy Senate President, the Speaker of the House of Representatives, and the Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, have all been given leave to purchase their current living quarters, presidency sources told NEXT over the weekend.

The 2011 Appropriation Bill, which is yet to be brought to public notice, has already made N1.5 billion available for the construction of replacements for the yet-to-be sold properties.

Till date, the presiding officers of the Assembly have not enjoyed the monetisation policy put in place by President Olusegun Obasanjo which would have entitled them to reside in their private homes and thus receive accommodation allowances as other legislators do. Rather, the federal government provides official residences for the four officials. Human Rights lawyers however say that it is a contradiction for the federal government to allow presiding officers benefit from the old policy and in the same vein spend public funds to replace those houses.

“You cannot in a seeming fitful adherence to the monetisation policy at the same time approve money for the construction of new houses. It is contradictory and does not make sense. This is abuse of office,” Jiti Ogunye, a Lagos based human rights attorney said.

Some legislators, who are offended by Mr. Jonathan’s actions, believe that the president is trying to garner a more robust support base ahead of the 2011 Elections in the light of recent divisions in the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), on whose platform, President Jonathan hopes to run.

Ima Niboro, the spokesman of the president however denied any knowledge of such an approval for the sale of these houses to the lawmakers.

“I cannot confirm. You may have to speak to the FCT minister,” Mr. Niboro said in a text message.

Further enquiries at the Federal Capital Territory Administration indicated that the officials are not aware of the current deal between the presidency and the lawmakers.

“The president is desperate. You know, there are so many things that he wants from them so they are taking advantage of the situation,” a legislator, who spoke on condition of anonymity said to NEXT in Abuja.

Mr. Ogunye agrees with the legislator’s conclusions.

“Given the timing of the unholy gesture, I would be right to suggest that it is an attempt to curry support for the 2011 project. What is going on now is nothing but a grand abuse of office which to me is coming at the time when Goodluck Jonathan’s presidency is interfacing with caucuses in the National Assembly and begging for their support for his attempt to govern the country again,” he said.

Building new houses

Last week, the minister of finance, Olusegun Aganga, met with committee chairs in the Senate during which time many believe he shared with them details of the 2011 Appropriation Bill. Although the bill is yet to be read on the floor of the Senate, a copy of the document obtained by NEXT shows that provisions have been made for the building of new living quarters for the principal officers of the National Assembly.

This document also carries the signatures of the chairs of the Committee on Appropriation in the Senate and the House of Representatives, Iyiola Omisore and Ayoade Ademola respectively.

The bill indicates that N1.5 billion is the budget for the:

“Design and Construction of National Assembly Presiding Officers Residence (Senate President, Deputy Senate President, Speaker and Deputy Speaker House of Reps).” Spokespersons for the Senate President and the Speaker of the House of Representatives however vehemently denied any knowledge of the move by their principals to purchase the said properties.

“Not to my knowledge. It is not possible now. If it is sold, where will the next person [speaker] stay? Will he stay under the bridge or in a hotel? It is not possible,” Musa Ebomhiana, the chief press secretary to the speaker of the House of Representatives, said.

“I’m not aware about bidding. I’m not aware of any approval by President Jonathan. I’m not aware at all,” Kola Ologbodiyan, the spokesman of the Senate President said.

Controversial spending

This is not the first time that public spending on the residences of the NASS officials has raised questions.

The first public uproar came in 2007 when the House of Representatives, under the leadership of Patricia Etteh, awarded contracts to the tune of N628 million for the renovation of her house and her deputy’s.

The controversy led to her resignation later in the year. In 2008, the federal government approved a total ofN200 million to be spent in renovating the residences. The officials only recently moved back into their official residencies after the massive renovations that were carried out.

Mr. Ogunye says that it is irresponsible of the government to keep making a fuss of the residences of the lawmakers.

“We are talking about a government that is not building roads. So what then is the case of perpetually renovating, building and selling of legislative quarters?” he said.

Just another largesse

Should the sale of the houses be made to the leaders of both chambers of the Assembly, it will be an extra largesse for them.

Mr. Mark, who became the Senate president in 2007, has been a Senator since 1999. He, alongside other serving legislators between 2003 and 2007, benefitted from the sale of the Apo legislative quarters, residence to the legislators. Same for Mr. Bankole who was also a member of the House of Representatives when the Apo quarter houses were sold to serving federal lawmakers. Mr. Bankole lived in his Apo quarters house until early this year when he moved to his official- now to be bought- residence.

“These national assembly leaders apart from owning houses in Apo quarters also own property in choice areas in Abuja. Why then would the President want to give them largesse now,” a visibly angry former lawmaker, who benefitted from the sale of the Apo quarters said.

Need to work together

The decision by President Jonathan to sell these houses to the presiding officers may also not be unconnected with the need for all of them to work together in order to benefit from the PDP zoning arrangement.

Except President Jonathan returns as President in 2011, there is hardly any chance that either of the four house leaders will remain in his position. As it currently stands, Mr. Jonathan is from the South South; the Vice President, Namadi Sambo is from the North West; Mr. Mark is from the North central; his deputy Ike Ekweremadu is from the South East; and Mr. Bankole is from the South West.

By implication, should the PDP ticket be secured by a northern aspirant, who may go ahead to win the general elections, both Mr. Mark and Mr. Bankole, if they return to the national assembly, may lose their leadership positions. While Mr. Mark has signified his intention to return to the senate, his House of Representatives counterpart is yet to declare if he will return to the house or contest for the Ogun State governorship election.

Both Eseme Eyiboh, the spokesman of the house of Representatives; and Ayogu Eze, the Senate spokesman declined to pick their calls or respond to text messages.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5649840-146/mark_and_bankole_to_buy_official.csp

Re: Mark And Bankole To Buy Official Residences ! by wales(m): 8:37am On Dec 06, 2010
", President Goodluck Jonathan who has given permission to the four men to purchase their current living quarters.", what the hell does that mean? DISGRACEFUL!!!, an example of how they spend the 25% of the national budget! somebody is bound to have a nervous breakdown reading about all these spending. loosing faith fast. replacing one corrupt politician with another. money changing hands with consideration. same ol' same ol'. no accountability. complete disregard for the citizenry. i hope the well runs dry, and fast. shameless people.
Re: Mark And Bankole To Buy Official Residences ! by Saylawchar(m): 12:38pm On Dec 06, 2010
these people are ready to mortgage this generation and the one beyond, but why are they doing us like this
Re: Mark And Bankole To Buy Official Residences ! by LKRavitz(m): 12:45pm On Dec 06, 2010
Is this Democracy working at all? Its damn to expensive and everyone is just a criminal. Seriously we need a Revolution these guys take us for granted a lot. We need to start taking them out one by one . until we shed blood we cant move foward with this amount of corruption. Read history.
Re: Mark And Bankole To Buy Official Residences ! by oluwabamis(m): 12:57pm On Dec 06, 2010
At the rate at which our leaders are going, this nation may just crumble one day. Its so sickening to read this magnitude of corruption and to think and believe that this nation will progress. Patriotism has nothing to do with this. Except there is a change from status quo. We are just joking about progress
Re: Mark And Bankole To Buy Official Residences ! by Kennyblues(m): 12:58pm On Dec 06, 2010
Jonathan! Jonathan!! Jonathan!!!, how many times have i called, the flies that is earmarked for destruction follows the corpse to the grave. "You cannot in a seeming fitful adherence to the monetisation policy at the same time approve money for the construction of new houses. It is contradictory and does not make sense".
Re: Mark And Bankole To Buy Official Residences ! by LKRavitz(m): 1:01pm On Dec 06, 2010
With all Due Respect Jonathan is Daft and shallow. He wants to please everyone he gave nollywood 200 million dollars is that the most important problem with Nigeria. Please im begging you do not Vote for jonathan or Atiku they are both criminals.Buhari or any other serious candidate would do . if any of them is President then we r doomed as a country.
Re: Mark And Bankole To Buy Official Residences ! by Nobody: 1:13pm On Dec 06, 2010
where did u get that cartoon from?
Re: Mark And Bankole To Buy Official Residences ! by olaolabiy: 1:40pm On Dec 06, 2010
Hmmmmmm
Re: Mark And Bankole To Buy Official Residences ! by Ymodulus: 1:50pm On Dec 06, 2010
Blatant rubbish
Re: Mark And Bankole To Buy Official Residences ! by foyeks2001(f): 2:00pm On Dec 06, 2010
rich are getting richer syndrome is very much alive here in naija
Re: Mark And Bankole To Buy Official Residences ! by greenish05: 2:40pm On Dec 06, 2010
nice cartoon of selfish leaders
Re: Mark And Bankole To Buy Official Residences ! by liaslo1(m): 3:48pm On Dec 06, 2010
well, i'm not suprised that this is happening cos we know the mentality of many politician in this country, they are just scammers angry sad embarassed lipsrsealed
Re: Mark And Bankole To Buy Official Residences ! by oge4real(f): 4:07pm On Dec 06, 2010
I just get disappointed in GEJ every blessed day, he seems to not be able to do one thing right.
Re: Mark And Bankole To Buy Official Residences ! by JUO(m): 4:10pm On Dec 06, 2010
nice cartoon who did it?
Re: Mark And Bankole To Buy Official Residences ! by babsmii(m): 4:43pm On Dec 06, 2010
he's making mistakes and believes he can work his way out, instead of him to just believe he's planted there by God and wait on God to work it out, he wants to do it humanly, God dey, anyways sha, u still beta Atiku, he would do worse!
Re: Mark And Bankole To Buy Official Residences ! by princekevo(m): 5:01pm On Dec 06, 2010
babsmii:

he's making mistakes and believes he can work his way out, instead of him to just believe he's planted there by God and wait on God to work it out, he wants to do it humanly, God dey, anyways sha, u still beta Atiku, he would do worse!

Planted by which of the gods, and what type of fertilizer did this god used for the planting? Please tell that god that the orange tree he planted is bring up bitter cola, so he should better uproot it fast before we cut it down.
Re: Mark And Bankole To Buy Official Residences ! by Divihack: 6:23pm On Dec 06, 2010
1.5 billion for Houses but around the same amount was given for opening of Universities.wat is the way naija(sori MADAM NAFDAC)
Re: Mark And Bankole To Buy Official Residences ! by safariman(m): 8:25pm On Dec 06, 2010
If these guys were Obama, they'll buy the white house
Re: Mark And Bankole To Buy Official Residences ! by ibedun: 10:56pm On Dec 06, 2010
Nigerian!!!!! Please get off your lazy pathetic arse and fight. That is all you need !!!!!!

They wont stop until you unleash your fury on them!!!!!!!
Re: Mark And Bankole To Buy Official Residences ! by balo(m): 2:52am On Dec 07, 2010
L. KRavitz:

Is this Democracy working at all? Its damn to expensive and everyone is just a criminal. Seriously we need a Revolution these guys take us for granted a lot. We need to start taking them out one by one . until we shed blood we cant move foward with this amount of corruption. Read history.

Will you lead the revolution?
Re: Mark And Bankole To Buy Official Residences ! by balo(m): 2:57am On Dec 07, 2010
ibedun:

Nigerian!!!!! Please get off your lazy pathetic arse and fight. That is all you need !!!!!!

They wont stop until you unleash your fury on them!!!!!!!

I want to believe you are from Taiwan, lol. cheesy
Re: Mark And Bankole To Buy Official Residences ! by ladej(m): 2:59am On Dec 07, 2010
balo:

Will you lead the revolution?
excellent question
Re: Mark And Bankole To Buy Official Residences ! by igboboy1(m): 4:15am On Dec 07, 2010
This bankole is becoming irritating, e never chop money tire, After giving us hope say na im be one of the youngest senator at that time yet he behaves like the old bafoons wey full ABJ
Re: Mark And Bankole To Buy Official Residences ! by ifeci: 7:47am On Dec 07, 2010
This Goodluck guy should better be careful! does he think he is on a shopping spree? 1st, he wanted to give 100million to onyeka onwenu for campaign song, 2ndly the tunde bakare $50000 saga, and now houses for sale. who ever knows this GEJ guy should better warn him! he is not even my candidate.
Re: Mark And Bankole To Buy Official Residences ! by mrofficial(m): 8:12am On Dec 07, 2010
Nigerians, always running their mouths on Nairaland. grin grin grin

While Atiku banner is being posted on most bill boards. What's bad if you put yours against him?

Even as my family believes in this Goodluck, I do tell them that this guy is not good for Nigeria at this age.
Re: Mark And Bankole To Buy Official Residences ! by wazobiang: 8:53am On Dec 07, 2010
These bastards are still making mistakes and they think they are having fun. The game's almost up and they are looking for keys into houses wey dem no get.

[size=24pt]Okay! make dem sell Aso Rock give GEJ too![/size]
Re: Mark And Bankole To Buy Official Residences ! by Nobody: 9:03am On Dec 07, 2010
when i read stuffs like dis abt my country i regret coming to life as a nigerian, d happenings in my country all signals to the end time.
Re: Mark And Bankole To Buy Official Residences ! by Ninapha(f): 11:43am On Dec 07, 2010
:-x :-x :-x cry
Re: Mark And Bankole To Buy Official Residences ! by scmk: 12:46pm On Dec 07, 2010
GEJ is just try to play along wt, to get wat he wants

their support !, but i hope he doesnt lose the support of the masses in tryn to please this guys
Re: Mark And Bankole To Buy Official Residences ! by akinnux(m): 2:14pm On Dec 07, 2010
[size=8pt][size=8pt]I have always said it Jonathan is part of the establishment and would do this country no good. All the good policies put in place by Obasanjo administration are being compromised on daily basis both by the late Yar'adua and now Jonathan. Nigerian! we are back to square zero. Where is the saviour? angry sad[/size][/size]
Re: Mark And Bankole To Buy Official Residences ! by dklex(m): 2:59pm On Dec 07, 2010
I think they should be allow to purchase them, since this is the only thing they have come to this world to do. they will never leave a good legacy behind, but one thing is for sure they will only be remember for buying everything they can lay their eye on. greed, they will never be satisfy , they will soon start to they make arrangement to buy properties in heaven and hell , cause they don't know where they will belong to. wasted and useless senators .

(1) (2) (Reply)

PHOTO: INEC Letter Confirming Registration Of APC / Tinubu Replies Dino Maleye / PHOTO: This Is What Someone Found On His Rice At A Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.