Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,539 members, 7,847,229 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 01:24 PM

Amotekun, Hisbah Have The Same Legal Status, Equal Rights – Sagay - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amotekun, Hisbah Have The Same Legal Status, Equal Rights – Sagay (1905 Views)

Lagos Sex Workers Demand Equal Rights In Celebration Of Workers Day . / You Have Equal Rights In Katsina– Gov. Masari Tells Katsina Christians / US Visit: Atiku Has Disqualified Himself From Presidential Race – Sagay (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Amotekun, Hisbah Have The Same Legal Status, Equal Rights – Sagay by nairavsdollars(f): 8:08am On Jan 16, 2020
By Temidayo Akinsuyi

Prof. Itse Sagay (SAN), Chairman of the Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption (PACAC) in this interview with TEMIDAYO AKINSUYI, speaks on the controversy trailing the statement of the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN), describing the South-West security outfit, Operation Amotekun as illegal. Excerpts:

The Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN) has described Operation Amotekun, a security arrangement put together by South-West governors as illegal. He said the governors should have consulted him so that he can give them legal advice on whether they can go ahead or not. As a legal expert, what is your perspective on this?

I believe that the governors have no duty to consult him. He is Attorney- General of the Federation, not Attorney-General of South-West states. The state governors have their own Attorney-Generals who are equally as qualified as Malami is. So, if this is part of the conspiracy that anything that smacks of regional arrangements or organisation offends some people who believe there has to be direct federal rule in every nook and cranny of the country, that is own misery. But it has nothing to do with the law. As far as i am concerned, Malami is just expressing his personal prejudice, it has nothing to with the law. The Amotekun people are not paramilitary organisation. They are to apprehend those committing crimes and report to the police or they themselves can exercise their rights of citizen’s arrest which we all can do as individuals. I can arrest somebody who I suspect has committed a crime.

So, the AGF is just speaking out of pure prejudice and it is very sad that people of Northern extraction are never happy when we want to organise ourselves on regional basis. I don’t understand that. if you don’t want to organise yourselves, how can you stop others from doing it? It is pure prejudice and it has nothing to do with the law. The governors have no duty whatsoever to consult him and he shouldn’t aggrandise himself and arrogate to himself powers that he doesn’t have. I think the governors should just ignore him and carry on with what they are doing. If he feels aggrieved that people in some parts off the country are trying to secure themselves against crime, he can go to court to challenge it. That arrogant authority that he can dictate to states is very insulting.

Since the pronouncement by the Minister, there has been this debate about why Sharia Police in some Northern states popularly called Hisbah should be legal while Amotekun was declared illegal. Is there any difference between the two?

In a sense, they have the same legal status; in the sense that each one is a creation of the state and not of the federal government. It is a very good point to raise and others have also raised the issue of the Civilian JTF in the North East. Those people are organised to identify Boko Haram terrorists and alert the military. When necessary, they defend themselves against the terrorists. Nobody is complaining because it is for a good purpose. Let me make a general statement here. In law, if something is not expressly prohibited, then that thing can be done legitimately. There is no law, either in the Police or any other act, is there a prohibition of one state or many states coming together to organise the promotion of the security of the peoples of the state. The primary duty of the state is the protection of the security of the people. It is in the section 14 (2) of the constitution. That is their primary duty and this falls not only on the federal government but on all states. If you look at the constitution, the powers are equal in that sense. The federal covers the whole country and the states cover their territorial areas. They can make laws for good governance which is also provided for in the constitution. What I am saying is that the concept of Amotekun is not banned and if it is not prohibited, it can be legitimately embarked upon.

On the non-legal side, if you think about our security, the insecurity challenge which is confronting Nigeria now is so high everywhere. People are afraid of traveling by road or going out at nights and so on. I think we should welcome any effort by a group or individual state to help to secure lives and property and improve the security situation in the country. .

It is the duty of the federal government to collaborate with them to improve the security of everybody in the country. The state government also has a duty to protect the lives and security of everybody so, several state governments can decide to exercise that duty together collectively and the federal government should assist them. So, there is nothing illegal at all about Amotekun. If they now want to carry arms such as AK-47 and other powerful arms aside dane guns, at that stage, they will need federal permission. But if they are not doing that, and they are not an armed body in the modern sense, they do not need any other authority to operate

An aide of the Minister yesterday said they wonder if you have any personal scores to settle with him given your opposition to some of his actions in the last few days. Do you have anything personal against Malami?

I want to advise the gentleman not to personalise issues of public interests. The position of Attorney-General is a very important one and its authority affects all of us. So, when he as a lawyer makes a statement or takes any decision that one considers wrong, there is nothing wrong in expressing a contrary view. That is what a debate is all about in a democratic society. It is not personal. Personally, I like Malami as a person. It is just unfortunate that he issued statements one after the other within a short period and the media wanted me to express my views on the issues and I don’t agree with the steps Malami took on the two occasions. I have nothing against him; in fact, I’m favorably disposed towards him because in a sense, we are all working together in the same theatre. So, it’s not correct for anyone to say I am having any personal scores to settle with him and it is wrong for anyone to interpret my objective views on statements issued by Malami in that light. It is not right. I can call Malami now and chat with him on issues of interests to the country. I have nothing personal against him.
https://www.independent.ng/amotekun-hisbah-have-the-same-legal-status-sagay/

1 Like

Re: Amotekun, Hisbah Have The Same Legal Status, Equal Rights – Sagay by mrvitalis(m): 8:09am On Jan 16, 2020
I'm happy Yoruba's started this ...if it was Igbo's the story would be different

Now their won't be an excuse when south east for theirs

6 Likes

Re: Amotekun, Hisbah Have The Same Legal Status, Equal Rights – Sagay by hisexcellency34: 8:10am On Jan 16, 2020
Thank you Papa Sagay for telling them the truth. Southerners should unite on this Anatekun issue whether you are in APC or not. Let's tell them North has no monopoly of the country

4 Likes

Re: Amotekun, Hisbah Have The Same Legal Status, Equal Rights – Sagay by hisexcellency34: 8:11am On Jan 16, 2020
Shut up and stop being tribalistic. I'm Igbo too

mrvitalis:
I'm happy Yoruba's started this ...if it was Igbo's the story would be different

Now their won't be an excuse when south east for theirs

1 Like

Re: Amotekun, Hisbah Have The Same Legal Status, Equal Rights – Sagay by omowolewa: 8:12am On Jan 16, 2020
Mallami is just sentimental about the whole issue. We are not talking of Militias here

What happens to civilian JTF? They're all children of necessity.

3 Likes

Re: Amotekun, Hisbah Have The Same Legal Status, Equal Rights – Sagay by Iamgrey5(m): 8:15am On Jan 16, 2020
Malami the court and constitution himself

He just keeps embarrassing the government
Re: Amotekun, Hisbah Have The Same Legal Status, Equal Rights – Sagay by hisexcellency34: 8:17am On Jan 16, 2020
He is a Fulani man like Buhari

Iamgrey5:

Re: Amotekun, Hisbah Have The Same Legal Status, Equal Rights – Sagay by landforeast(m): 8:17am On Jan 16, 2020
Malami is the spoles person for the Northern people's affairs also doubles as the attorney general of the federation.
Re: Amotekun, Hisbah Have The Same Legal Status, Equal Rights – Sagay by Iamgrey5(m): 8:22am On Jan 16, 2020
hisexcellency34:

I think Malami should know he doesn't have the power he arogates for himself.
Re: Amotekun, Hisbah Have The Same Legal Status, Equal Rights – Sagay by Nobody: 8:23am On Jan 16, 2020
Iamgrey5:

As if it was not the government that told him to do what he did.

1 Like

Re: Amotekun, Hisbah Have The Same Legal Status, Equal Rights – Sagay by mrvitalis(m): 8:24am On Jan 16, 2020
hisexcellency34:
Shut up and stop being tribalistic. I'm Igbo too

What did I say that's tribalistic ?
You would only be blind if you don't know the hatred the north have for south east ...

If it was Igbo's this won't never have been approved

Didn't woke try to do the same in rivers state ? What happened

People like u with your stupid sense of unity are the reason Igbo's are treated the way we are

4 Likes

Re: Amotekun, Hisbah Have The Same Legal Status, Equal Rights – Sagay by updatechange(m): 8:27am On Jan 16, 2020
Malami is a kunu-fied aboki that has more fura in his head than the neurons needed.
He should tell us why Amotekun is illegal and hisbah legal.

Awon werey gbogbo. angry

1 Like

Re: Amotekun, Hisbah Have The Same Legal Status, Equal Rights – Sagay by Iamgrey5(m): 8:30am On Jan 16, 2020
Awol1:

As if it was not the that told him to do what he did.
He however doesn't have the power to pronounce anything illegal that has not yet been confirmed by the court.

He should have communicated directly to the state government that the federal government is not overly comfortable with the outfit.

He is a lawyer and he should understand the limitations and strengths of his position as AGF

1 Like

Re: Amotekun, Hisbah Have The Same Legal Status, Equal Rights – Sagay by BeardedMeat(m): 8:31am On Jan 16, 2020
hisexcellency34:

While I admired your initial efforts to caution Mrvitalis even though he was not expressly been tribalistic in his comments, you can't imagine my disappointment when after a few seconds, you fell into the ditch yourself by stereotyping fulanis.

This conduct is actually the bane of Nigeria.

Hypocrisy reings supreme in our blood.

I'm glad that sagay has taken this tough stand. I'm pleasantly surprised.

1 Like

Re: Amotekun, Hisbah Have The Same Legal Status, Equal Rights – Sagay by BeardedMeat(m): 8:34am On Jan 16, 2020
mrvitalis:

What did I say that's tribalistic ?
You would only be blind if you don't know the hatred the north have for south east ...

If it was Igbo's this won't never have been approved

Didn't woke try to do the same in rivers state ? What happened

People like u with your stupid sense of unity are the reason Igbo's are treated the way we are
Nwanne ozuola.
Re: Amotekun, Hisbah Have The Same Legal Status, Equal Rights – Sagay by mrvitalis(m): 8:43am On Jan 16, 2020
BeardedMeat:
While I admired your initial efforts to caution Mrvitalis even though he was not expressly been tribalistic in his comments, you can't imagine my disappointment when after a few seconds, you fell into the ditch yourself by stereotyping fulanis.

This conduct is actually the bane of Nigeria.

Hypocrisy reings supreme in our blood.

I'm glad that sagay has taken this tough stand. I'm pleasantly surprised.
Pretending the obvious is not true is how the Hausa's lost their land to Fulani's
Pretending the obvious is not true is how Ilorin went
Pretending the obvious is not true is why stupid Igbo's keep investing in the north n south west

We as a country are not one ,can't be one ...the sooner we accept this the faster we can grow

3 Likes

Re: Amotekun, Hisbah Have The Same Legal Status, Equal Rights – Sagay by id911(m): 8:50am On Jan 16, 2020
Sagay eyes dey open small small and he will be sacked soon because the statement he made on his first question up there is very very strong.

I don't know when we Southerners go get sense, come together and chase these Fulanis out of our lives and restructure this country for the benefit of our generation and those yet unborn

1 Like

Re: Amotekun, Hisbah Have The Same Legal Status, Equal Rights – Sagay by hisexcellency34: 9:43am On Jan 16, 2020
Sack him. Is he In Buhari's cabinet?

id911:
Sagay eyes dey open small small and he will be sacked soon because the statement he made on his first question up there is very very strong.

I don't know when we Southerners go get sense, come together and chase these Fulanis out of our lives and restructure this country for the benefit of our generation and those yet unborn
Re: Amotekun, Hisbah Have The Same Legal Status, Equal Rights – Sagay by id911(m): 9:46am On Jan 16, 2020
hisexcellency34:
Sack him. Is he In Buhari's cabinet?

No, he's in your cabinet

A Cabinet is a body of high-ranking members of government, typically representing the executive branch. It is a body of high-ranking state officials, can also sometimes be referred to as the Council of Ministers, an Executive Council or Executive Committee.

Is Itse Sagay not a high-ranking member of the executive branch of government? Maybe you think he's working for Tompolo as Chairman of Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption
Re: Amotekun, Hisbah Have The Same Legal Status, Equal Rights – Sagay by hisexcellency34: 10:11am On Jan 16, 2020
Then go and sack him nah, you think Buhari reasons the way you do

id911:

No, he's in your cabinet

A Cabinet is a body of high-ranking members of government, typically representing the executive branch. It is a body of high-ranking state officials, can also sometimes be referred to as the Council of Ministers, an Executive Council or Executive Committee.

Is Itse Sagay not a high-ranking member of the executive branch of government? Maybe you think he's working for Tompolo as Chairman of Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption
Re: Amotekun, Hisbah Have The Same Legal Status, Equal Rights – Sagay by id911(m): 10:22am On Jan 16, 2020
hisexcellency34:
Then go and sack him nah, you think Buhari reasons the way you do

Fvck off my mention! Why then did you ask this question - "Sack him. Is he In Buhari's cabinet?" You obviously didn't know the meaning of Cabinet

1 Like

Re: Amotekun, Hisbah Have The Same Legal Status, Equal Rights – Sagay by saaron(m): 10:23am On Jan 16, 2020
Repost:
The biggest characteristics of tyrranical regimes is their hypocrisy and selective justice especially when it involves the law. They choose which law to obey and which law to ignore. So far, Buhari's islamist regime has done excellently well in that area.
Recently islamic hisbah police arrested a Nigerian ''Police Officer'' in the NORTH. Guess what happen to hisbah? NOTHING. Rulers of the regime suddenly developed eye problem. They became blind and thus could not read the constitution to see whether hisbah islamic police is legal or not. But as soon as Amotekun was formed to save lives, the regime mysteriously got cured of blindness, read the consititution and declared Amatekun illegal. Who do they thing they're fooling?
Matters that concerned the well being of Middle Belt and Southern Nigerians, they use Nigeria's constitution to frustrate it to death. However, any matter that concerns Northern agenda, they throw Nigeria's constitution into the dustbin and replace it with Sharia law - their supreme constitution as confirmed by their Sharia CJN. Imagine this wickedness? And they have the guts to shout one Nigeria.
Buhari's regime is the SPONSOR of fulani terrorist genocidal activities and massacres in Nigeria! This Nigerians must always keep at the back of their minds.
The plot to make Nigeria a fulani capital in Africa is not a mere conspiracy thoery, it's a FACT!

2 Likes

Re: Amotekun, Hisbah Have The Same Legal Status, Equal Rights – Sagay by hisexcellency34: 12:46pm On Jan 16, 2020
Fact!
saaron:
Repost:
The biggest characteristics of tyrranical regimes is their hypocrisy and selective justice especially when it involves the law. They choose which law to obey and which law to ignore. So far, Buhari's islamist regime has done excellently well in that area.
Recently islamic hisbah police arrested a Nigerian ''Police Officer'' in the NORTH. Guess what happen to hisbah? NOTHING. Rulers of the regime suddenly developed eye problem. They became blind and thus could not read the constitution to see whether hisbah islamic police is legal or not. But as soon as Amotekun was formed to save lives, the regime mysteriously got cured of blindness, read the consititution and declared Amatekun illegal. Who do they thing they're fooling?
Matters that concerned the well being of Middle Belt and Southern Nigerians, they use Nigeria's constitution to frustrate it to death. However, any matter that concerns Northern agenda, they throw Nigeria's constitution into the dustbin and replace it with Sharia law - their supreme constitution as confirmed by their Sharia CJN. Imagine this wickedness? And they have the guts to shout one Nigeria.
Buhari's regime is the SPONSOR of fulani terrorist genocidal activities and massacres in Nigeria! This Nigerians must always keep at the back of their minds.
The plot to make Nigeria a fulani capital in Africa is not a mere conspiracy thoery, it's a FACT!
Re: Amotekun, Hisbah Have The Same Legal Status, Equal Rights – Sagay by agulion: 12:52pm On Jan 16, 2020
Are sure Sagay really said those things, because I have always seen him as Zombie. Anyway change is pamanant

1 Like

Re: Amotekun, Hisbah Have The Same Legal Status, Equal Rights – Sagay by hisexcellency34: 12:15pm On Jan 17, 2020
Why referring to an elder statesman as zombie,?

agulion:
Are sure Sagay really said those things, because I have always seen him as Zombie. Anyway change is pamanant
Re: Amotekun, Hisbah Have The Same Legal Status, Equal Rights – Sagay by Racoon(m): 12:24pm On Jan 17, 2020
Sagay seems to be waking up.This is the Sagay during his days in Ambrose Ali University Ekpoma.Well, he have not said anything new or different.The core northern hausa-fulani power clique under this APC regime are hellbent on establishing a caliphate across Nigeria.

The islamization and fulanization agenda is real and being systematically implemented.Unfolding events in the annals of this govt have continue to proved it so.

-How can the fulanis- 4th.globally acclaimed terrorists group not be legally decleared the terrorists group that they are till date?
-Why have the regime of Maj.Gen.M.Buhari(rtd), its officials continued to defend the atrocities of these terrorists?
-Why has the APC-led regime entrenched an almost all core hausa-fulani muslims in all strata of our national life without recourse to the federal character provision in the Nigerian constitution?
-Why is the regime increasingly intolerant of opposition, antagonistic to participatory democracy, lopsidedly fighting corruption,locking up opposition etc?

Re: Amotekun, Hisbah Have The Same Legal Status, Equal Rights – Sagay by osscarr(m): 12:28pm On Jan 17, 2020
where sagay see sense?
who borrow sagay sense?
wonderful!

1 Like

Re: Amotekun, Hisbah Have The Same Legal Status, Equal Rights – Sagay by hisexcellency34: 12:30pm On Jan 17, 2020
I expect people like Feni Adesina, Laureta Onichie to also borrow sense on this Amoteku issue

osscarr:
where sagay see sense?
who borrow sagay sense?
wonderful!

1 Like

Re: Amotekun, Hisbah Have The Same Legal Status, Equal Rights – Sagay by Racoon(m): 12:36pm On Jan 17, 2020
hisexcellency34:
I expect people like Feni Adesina, Laureta Onichie to also borrow sense on this Amoteku issue
They have long sold their souls to the devil.So embarrassing to know that Femi Adeshina is a pastor with Foursquare Gospel Church.

2 Likes

Re: Amotekun, Hisbah Have The Same Legal Status, Equal Rights – Sagay by hisexcellency34: 12:48pm On Jan 17, 2020
Too bad and he will return to his hometown after his job ends

Racoon:
They have long sold their souls to the devil.So embarrassing to know that Femi Adeshina is a pastor with Foursquare Gospel Church.
Re: Amotekun, Hisbah Have The Same Legal Status, Equal Rights – Sagay by Racoon(m): 1:23pm On Jan 17, 2020
[s]
Iamgrey5:
Malami the court and constitution himself. He just keeps embarrassing the government.
[/s] As if AGF-Malami iberiberism started today in a regime that is not only a disgrace and embarrassment but much worst a monumental political catastrophe.A fella that is part of the Presidency cabal hence speaking for his hausa-fulani brethren.Abeg make we hear word.

(1) (Reply)

Covid 19: Rivers State Government Orders New Sitting Arrangements For Vehicles / Piers Morgan And Rudy Giuliani Verbally Attack Each Other Over Trump's Tweet / Obaseki Leaves APC For PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.