Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,455 members, 7,830,268 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:57 PM

We Want Skirts Included In NYSC Uniform - Serve With Skirts Movement Protests - NYSC (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / We Want Skirts Included In NYSC Uniform - Serve With Skirts Movement Protests (69776 Views)

This Is How 'slay Queens' Will Rubbish NYSC Uniform If Allowed To Wear Skirts / Lady Turns Her NYSC Uniform Into A Wrapper & Blouse, Rocks It As She Passes Out / Deeper Life Corper Turns Her NYSC Uniform Into Skirt In Sokoto (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Want Skirts Included In NYSC Uniform - Serve With Skirts Movement Protests by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jan 17, 2020
TheStarsAlign:

NYSC (especially camping) is suppose to be a form of combat/hardship simulation. Does army wear skirt to war? Would it be proper when a lady is mounting a wall/tree while guys below be getting distracted by her pants?. Or the lady herself pulling the skirt up to be able to mount/climb/jump a hurdle?

Women in office can choose to wear skirt because their work environment is not affected. If govt would ever allow skirts, they should kukuma cancel NYSC sef. Some arguments don't need to rise at all.
@bolded, yes. Army women who aren't positioned at the battle front are allowed to wear skirts. You hardly would even find lady soldiers at the battle front though they're trained in combat readiness.
Skirts in the military is universal, women have a choice to put on skirts if they feel more comfy. From the US to the UK to Russia and China, women are allowed to wear skirts and they march with it at parade (though the UK made an adjustment for the sake of transgender), and yes even in Nigeria, women officers wear skirts. What then is your lopsided point?

I think a major problem we have in Nigeria is that we are very resistant to change. The world has moved on from these basic agitation and has come to respect people's choice, but in Nigeria we are still insistent that all cadets shave their hair and beard clean, we dont allow tattoos etc whereas in advanced societies, women cadets are even allowed to dye their hair and everyone can spot a tattoo.
What stops NYSC from introducing above knee skirts for those who so wish, ladies can wear that with tights underneath if they feel more comfy in that. And before you tell me that tights and trousers are same , no sir, they are not. It's more like saying Ijaw and Itshekiri are one and the same because the occupy same geographic space.
Your point on boys scoping girls on skirts shouldnt even be, cos boys scope girls on shorts and besides, they would be in tights.
If NYSC cannot accommodate, then they should be exempted as requested. NYSC has outlived its relevance anyway it's just a lazy governments excuse for not providing jobs for its teeming youths.

1 Like

Re: We Want Skirts Included In NYSC Uniform - Serve With Skirts Movement Protests by goodheart02(m): 4:42pm On Jan 17, 2020
quaintbloke:
As expected, we are having hard right comments here, but why are we soo resistant to differing opinion?
If people consider trousers as improper dressing, why should they be shouted down and heckled?
NYSC should be a scheme of national pride and people shouldn't be forced into accepting what they aren't comfy with. Even proper military women wear skirts, so what's the fuss with hard rightists?

Later we would expect not to be looked down on as Musulmi ladies for dressing like masquerades in the name of religious adherence or we will turn around to scream islamisation when policies aren't made to favour us, yet we dont want to listen to the voice of the minority. Nigerians are rooted in so much hypocrisy.

We really need to be tolerant of each other's inclination.

Every organization has its own rules and regulation. And i believe the university u attend or attended has its own too, which i'm sure u obeyed or risk expulsion, despite whether u liked the rules or not. So does the NYSC programme. If they can't fit in, they leave. Their headache. Our youths should be talking of better things like their counterparts abroad.
Re: We Want Skirts Included In NYSC Uniform - Serve With Skirts Movement Protests by Olisehinnocent: 4:47pm On Jan 17, 2020
You make me to remember a girl in my platoon that usually wear white bum short to parade ground. The girl hot die! grin grin
taiyesoul:
I think a Bum shorts too will be very ideal grin

1 Like

Re: We Want Skirts Included In NYSC Uniform - Serve With Skirts Movement Protests by edoairways: 5:00pm On Jan 17, 2020
fohiss:
But seriously these things have be there for long ..so many imam wife alpha wife and prophet and even pastors wife that went to school wore this trouser .... Instead of you guys to be fighting for the betterment of the youth..the country ..you are here saying trash ...
Abeg NYSC nor be false ...if u nor like trouser abeg exemption form dey
Give them exemption to work in private or public institutions.

1 Like

Re: We Want Skirts Included In NYSC Uniform - Serve With Skirts Movement Protests by OGHENAOGIE(m): 5:01pm On Jan 17, 2020
quaintbloke:

Gentle man, first you have to realise that nysc is a federal parastatal, funded by tax payers money of every Nigerian, so we all have a stake and no one deserves to be excluded based on their inclination.
This is more like telling a disabled man that he cannot aspire to his dreams because the laws at present have no provision for disablity in the military.
This is where diversity and equality comes in, a topic which should be taught in schools.

Until recently, hijab was frowned upon by law school but it took thr bravely of a lady to change the laid down rules which has been silently changed to accommodate her beliefs. Note that even if she was told to fvck off, she fought for what was right and the voice of reason prevailed.

Nigeria cannot forever remain a rigid country, we have lopsided reasoning which doesnt conform with acceptable societal norms in the wider world.
As an after thought, we know a good part of our laws and constitution is fundamentally flawed and need revision.
I hope u don't complain when Muslims want to use sharia laws up north with this ur logic
Re: We Want Skirts Included In NYSC Uniform - Serve With Skirts Movement Protests by edoairways: 5:03pm On Jan 17, 2020
Dpharisee:
If wearing Hijab during NYSC activities is good for Hajia Aisha of Ansarudeen, Skirt is also good for Sister Gloria of Deeper Life which means fairness.
Robert Mugabe 2020 grin
grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: We Want Skirts Included In NYSC Uniform - Serve With Skirts Movement Protests by edoairways: 5:10pm On Jan 17, 2020
bigdammyj:
Please, What is the difference between the "daughters world and the daughters of God" in Nigeria of today?
Daughter of the world expose their bodies while daughter of God don't

1 Like

Re: We Want Skirts Included In NYSC Uniform - Serve With Skirts Movement Protests by Geminita1(f): 5:11pm On Jan 17, 2020
hopefulLandlord:

so skirts make someone "not to look smart"?
Yes especially long baggy skirts like the one they are recommending.
Re: We Want Skirts Included In NYSC Uniform - Serve With Skirts Movement Protests by edoairways: 5:11pm On Jan 17, 2020
fegori:
The purpose of the trouser is to look smart and to be free during those rigorous NYSC activities. Beside, trouser doesn't make any lady 'worldly'. God is after your inward man not your outward appearance. As long as u are not exposing your body while on trouser, then u are good to go.
Roman 12:1 to end answers your question

1 Like

Re: We Want Skirts Included In NYSC Uniform - Serve With Skirts Movement Protests by edoairways: 5:18pm On Jan 17, 2020
Oksoluk10:
I thought nysc is an annex of the military. Is there any military woman wearing skirt? Even if govt decide to implement this, majority of the girls will still go for trousers cos most girls don't even have skirts. They should advocate for more job than this nonsense.
At the minorities will be considered

1 Like

Re: We Want Skirts Included In NYSC Uniform - Serve With Skirts Movement Protests by BluntBoy(m): 5:29pm On Jan 17, 2020
The NYSC has outlived its usefulness.

It is a waste of resources, and it has failed to unite the nation which was what its founding fathers had in mind.

I understand that tribalism has been rife from the 40s, and that the civil war deepened it, but the NYSC has failed to address the issue. Why should we continue to waste resources on such a scheme?

Military service is a better option. It saves resources, and it is far more dignifying. And this program would produce far more disciplined citizens than the NYSC could ever produce.
Re: We Want Skirts Included In NYSC Uniform - Serve With Skirts Movement Protests by heiroluwaseun: 5:29pm On Jan 17, 2020
wahala dey country sha
Re: We Want Skirts Included In NYSC Uniform - Serve With Skirts Movement Protests by UndauntedYOCA(f): 5:30pm On Jan 17, 2020
I am highly disappointed! By faith I am a Christian and even the Bible says to give to Caesar what belongs to him and I think this is one of such, it also says to obey higher authority, now, these ladies do not see reasons with the government, the trousers make them smart and it is easier to escape/I.e when danger arises (rape, armed robbery etc). These sisters are super sick, they can't protest for a better Nigeria but can stage a protest over skirts and pants.
Re: We Want Skirts Included In NYSC Uniform - Serve With Skirts Movement Protests by fegori: 5:32pm On Jan 17, 2020
edoairways:

Roman 12:1 to end answers your question

Rom.12.1 - I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

It doesn't talk about wearing trousers or not
Re: We Want Skirts Included In NYSC Uniform - Serve With Skirts Movement Protests by barbietosin(f): 5:41pm On Jan 17, 2020
Scrapper ni
Realtord43:
They should go and sit down, what is even here in Nigeria to serve? skirt or no skirt, NYSC should be scrap! its a waste of time and resources. misplace priority group!! angry
Re: We Want Skirts Included In NYSC Uniform - Serve With Skirts Movement Protests by fraymite: 5:45pm On Jan 17, 2020
Dpharisee:
If wearing Hijab during NYSC activities is good for Hajia Aisha of Ansarudeen, Skirt is also good for Sister Gloria of Deeper Life which means fairness.
Robert Mugabe 2020 grin
You think only the deeper life will benefit from the skirt inclusion? In fact Muslims will be the major beneficiary. I wish them success.

Meanwhile, some ladies will use the opportunity to convert the skirt to a tight mini or even micro skirt.
Re: We Want Skirts Included In NYSC Uniform - Serve With Skirts Movement Protests by therajah: 5:52pm On Jan 17, 2020
Your girls should obey God rather than men! If going to camp and putting on trousers will make them fall then they can opt out..
Re: We Want Skirts Included In NYSC Uniform - Serve With Skirts Movement Protests by Onyi4live(m): 5:55pm On Jan 17, 2020
Inside life.
Re: We Want Skirts Included In NYSC Uniform - Serve With Skirts Movement Protests by PROPHETmichael: 5:58pm On Jan 17, 2020
On one condition and that is it must be deeper life kind of skirt.
Re: We Want Skirts Included In NYSC Uniform - Serve With Skirts Movement Protests by davillian(m): 6:05pm On Jan 17, 2020
;DSkirts doesn't mean decency
Re: We Want Skirts Included In NYSC Uniform - Serve With Skirts Movement Protests by kharyhordhe(m): 6:07pm On Jan 17, 2020
ipreach:
Serve With Skirts Movement, an advocacy group was on Wednesday, stage a peaceful protest at the Unity Fountain in Abuja to demand inclusion of skirts as part of the uniform for the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC).

Members of the group, comprising of young boys and girls, held banners with inscriptions like “there is a difference between the world and the daughters of God”, "We cannot dress like the world", “our sisters cannot dress like men. They should be decently covered”, among others, with some of the female members dressed in Khaki skirts.

According to them, year after year, female corps members are harassed at orientation camps for refusing to wear skirts. This, they said, is a breach of their fundamental human rights under Section 38(1) of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

A leader of the group, Udochi Emmanuel, said the use of trousers are evoking immorality in the camps. In the 1970s and 1980s, she said, “we had our mothers wearing skirts and we want to go back to that.”

“We have asked for exemption (sic) severally. NYSC has not given that as an option, they have made it a compulsory one-year service for everyone below the age of 30 and they are mandated to wear those clothes.

“We have already started negotiations (with government) and we hope that from this dialogue we will get a favourable response,” she said.

When asked if don’t they get what they are seeking for Ms Emmanuel said they “may need to ask for redress in the court.”

A corps member, Patience Noble, who was part of the protest, told journalists that she was posted to Ebonyi State for service and when she insisted on wearing skirt, she was asked to leave camp.

“As a citizen of my country, I have the right to serve the nation just like every other graduate has. They insisted that I wear this trouser or leave the camp. During the camp there were lots of insults and humiliation – one of military tore the skirts I was wearing on my body.”

The protest comes barely two months after two members of the 2019 NYSC Stream C in Ebonyi State, were sent home from camp for refusing to wear trousers.

The NYSC spokesperson in the state, Ngozi Ukwuoma, explained that when the duo were accosted and interrogated, they disclosed that they could not wear the white shorts and the trousers given to them by the NYSC since it was against their faith.

Efforts were, however, made by the office of the Camp Director to make them see reason why they must obey the rules and regulations guiding the orientation and NYSC, but all efforts to do that were futile, she said.

This act generated controversy among Nigerians as many were torn between allowing skirt as part of the NYSC uniform or not.

Although the NYSC act does not clearly state what the uniform should be, it only said the corps members should accept and wear whatever is given to them.

Section 3(1)(ix) of the NYSC bye-laws states that every corps member shall “wear the various uniforms provided for the activities.”

It also says “any member who refuses, fails or neglects to comply with this rule shall be tried by the Camp Court and, if found guilty, be liable to be decamped and sent out of the orientation camp.”

The Senate had in March 2018, rejected a bill to amend the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Act.

The bill was rejected following concerns that such amendment requires altering the constitution which requires a longer process.

Officials of the NYSC have, however, continued to admonish corps members to adhere to the laws of the Corps.

https://www.believespot.com/2020/01/group-protests-wants-skirts-included-in-nysc.html
click on my signature no stories
Re: We Want Skirts Included In NYSC Uniform - Serve With Skirts Movement Protests by West10(m): 6:32pm On Jan 17, 2020
Una no get work ni
Re: We Want Skirts Included In NYSC Uniform - Serve With Skirts Movement Protests by izubext007: 6:35pm On Jan 17, 2020
Deeper Life, Hope Mini Skirt Inclusive.
Re: We Want Skirts Included In NYSC Uniform - Serve With Skirts Movement Protests by PremiumTrends(m): 6:36pm On Jan 17, 2020
We have female soldiers that are devote Christians, and they wear trousers as their uniform when necessary. Does that make them lesser Christians?
This movement is definitely by disguised illiterates. The enlightened ones will know better.

1 Like

Re: We Want Skirts Included In NYSC Uniform - Serve With Skirts Movement Protests by Fasholu: 6:37pm On Jan 17, 2020
quaintbloke:
As expected, we are having hard right comments here, but why are we soo resistant to differing opinion?
If people consider trousers as improper dressing, why should they be shouted down and heckled?
NYSC should be a scheme of national pride and people shouldn't be forced into accepting what they aren't comfy with. Even proper military women wear skirts, so what's the fuss with hard rightists?

Later we would expect not to be looked down on as Musulmi ladies for dressing like masquerades in the name of religious adherence or we will turn around to scream islamisation when policies aren't made to favour us, yet we dont want to listen to the voice of the minority. Nigerians are rooted in so much hypocrisy.

Skirts wouldn't be appropriate for the drills they would go through in camp, their sexuality is even more protected with trousers. Skirts for maybe post camp though.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Want Skirts Included In NYSC Uniform - Serve With Skirts Movement Protests by zzzzaky: 6:41pm On Jan 17, 2020
so that they will have access to sexduce boys and having sex sharp sharp. Nysc is not compulsory so you can quit if you can wear the normal kits.
Re: We Want Skirts Included In NYSC Uniform - Serve With Skirts Movement Protests by edoairways: 6:52pm On Jan 17, 2020
fegori:

Rom.12.1 - I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

It doesn't talk about wearing trousers or not
It talks about presenting your body to God meaning God is interested in your body not just heart as opined
Re: We Want Skirts Included In NYSC Uniform - Serve With Skirts Movement Protests by Teeabod(m): 6:56pm On Jan 17, 2020
The last time I checked...Nysc is not a must nah!!!
Re: We Want Skirts Included In NYSC Uniform - Serve With Skirts Movement Protests by munezo(m): 7:14pm On Jan 17, 2020
This is the result of joblessness. So they don't know what else to protest about? So wearing trouser is now a sin? As if they don't commit other sins. As if they are all virgins.

Let them wear skirt and use it to cross obstacles in NYSC camp.

Rubbish!
Re: We Want Skirts Included In NYSC Uniform - Serve With Skirts Movement Protests by Kaimadiya(f): 7:21pm On Jan 17, 2020
trousers covers than skirt
I don see skirt wey go make your dada scatter Las Las, na Dem go still wear skirt still slimfit am Una plenty for my church
Re: We Want Skirts Included In NYSC Uniform - Serve With Skirts Movement Protests by hayoholla(m): 7:44pm On Jan 17, 2020
quaintbloke:

They knew what they were signing up for. Ask yourself, is it possible to undertake those exercise on camp with their skirt on? It is merely religious blindness. And talking about being tolerant here, they are the ones not being tolerant. Did Fg restrict them from putting on their skirts and hijabs, before or after camp? But for that purpose, they need to adhere not because of anything, but simply because it will be easier to carry out the camp task and nothing more. Nysc on their part needs to create an option for exemption for those who can't conform with the rules, simple!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nigerian Army Reacts To Officer Pouring Dirty Water On Corper In Calabar / Kogi Election: Corper Who Died, Buried Amidst Tears / NYSC Date Of Birth And Exemption Issues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.