Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,321 members, 7,811,948 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:00 AM

All You Need To Know About Lassa Fever - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / All You Need To Know About Lassa Fever (23157 Views)

Everything You Need To Know About Lassa Fever / Frequently Asked Questions About Lassa Fever / UNN Graduate Dies Of Lassa Fever In Kogi (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

All You Need To Know About Lassa Fever by chijioke17(m): 7:01am On Jan 23, 2020
Key facts

Lassa fever is an acute viral haemorrhagic illness of 2-21 days duration that occurs in West Africa.
The Lassa virus is transmitted to humans via contact with food or household items contaminated with rodent urine or faeces.

Person-to-person infections and laboratory transmission can also occur, particularly in hospitals lacking adequate infection prevention and control measures.

Lassa fever is known to be endemic in Benin, Ghana, Guinea, Liberia, Mali, Sierra Leone, and Nigeria, but probably exists in other West African countries as well.

The overall case-fatality rate is 1%. Observed case-fatality rate among patients hospitalized with severe cases of Lassa fever is 15%.
Early supportive care with rehydration and symptomatic treatment improves survival.

Symptoms of Lassa fever

The incubation period of Lassa fever ranges from 6–21 days. The onset of the disease, when it is symptomatic, is usually gradual, starting with fever, general weakness, and malaise. After a few days, headache, sore throat, muscle pain, chest pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, cough, and abdominal pain may follow. In severe cases facial swelling, fluid in the lung cavity, bleeding from the mouth, nose, vagina or gastrointestinal tract and low blood pressure may develop.

Protein may be noted in the urine. Shock, seizures, tremor, disorientation, and coma may be seen in the later stages. Deafness occurs in 25% of patients who survive the disease. In half of these cases, hearing returns partially after 1–3 months. Transient hair loss and gait disturbance may occur during recovery.

Death usually occurs within 14 days of onset in fatal cases. The disease is especially severe late in pregnancy, with maternal death and/or fetal loss occurring in more than 80% of cases during the third trimester.

Transmission

Humans usually become infected with Lassa virus from exposure to urine or faeces of infected Mastomys rats. Lassa virus may also be spread between humans through direct contact with the blood, urine, faeces, or other bodily secretions of a person infected with Lassa fever. There is no epidemiological evidence supporting airborne spread between humans. Person-to-person transmission occurs in both community and health-care settings, where the virus may be spread by contaminated medical equipment, such as re-used needles. Sexual transmission of Lassa virus has been reported.

Lassa fever occurs in all age groups and both sexes. Persons at greatest risk are those living in rural areas where Mastomys are usually found, especially in communities with poor sanitation or crowded living conditions. Health workers are at risk if caring for Lassa fever patients in the absence of proper barrier nursing and infection prevention and control practices.

Treatment and prophylaxis

The antiviral drug ribavirin seems to be an effective treatment for Lassa fever if given early on in the course of clinical illness. There is no evidence to support the role of ribavirin as post-exposure prophylactic treatment for Lassa fever.

There is currently no vaccine that protects against Lassa fever available in Nigeria

Prevention and control

Prevention of Lassa fever relies on promoting good “community hygiene” to discourage rodents from entering homes. Effective measures include storing grain and other foodstuffs in rodent-proof containers, disposing of garbage far from the home, maintaining clean households and keeping cats. Because Mastomys are so abundant in endemic areas, it is not possible to completely eliminate them from the environment. Family members should always be careful to avoid contact with blood and body fluids while caring for sick persons.

In health-care settings, staff should always apply standard infection prevention and control precautions when caring for patients, regardless of their presumed diagnosis. These include basic hand hygiene, respiratory hygiene, use of personal protective equipment (to block splashes or other contact with infected materials), safe injection practices and safe burial practices.

Health-care workers caring for patients with suspected or confirmed Lassa fever should apply extra infection control measures to prevent contact with the patient’s blood and body fluids and contaminated surfaces or materials such as clothing and bedding. When in close contact (within 1 metre) of patients with Lassa fever, health-care workers should wear face protection (a face shield or a medical mask and goggles), a clean, non-sterile long-sleeved gown, and gloves (sterile gloves for some procedures).

Laboratory workers are also at risk. Samples taken from humans and animals for investigation of Lassa virus infection should be handled by trained staff and processed in suitably equipped laboratories under maximum biological containment conditions.

On rare occasions, travellers from areas where Lassa fever is endemic export the disease to other countries. Although malaria, typhoid fever, and many other tropical infections are much more common, the diagnosis of Lassa fever should be considered in febrile patients returning from West Africa, especially if they have had exposures in rural areas or hospitals in countries where Lassa fever is known to be endemic. Health-care workers seeing a patient suspected to have Lassa fever should immediately contact local and national experts for advice and to arrange for laboratory testing.

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/lassa-fever

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: All You Need To Know About Lassa Fever by dayleke: 7:32am On Jan 23, 2020
Thank you very much OP.

Public awareness is very critical at this stage to prevent a very bad aftermath.

Apart from the government and all these NGOs that abound all over the place, each individual has a role to play this time around.

We should have learnt our lessons from the "Ebola era".

May baba God help us in this country.
AMEN.

This needs to be on the front page please.

20 Likes

Re: All You Need To Know About Lassa Fever by MaddySav: 8:22am On Jan 23, 2020
Nawa o

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: All You Need To Know About Lassa Fever by sunnedee2: 9:33am On Jan 23, 2020
Can the mods please move this to the front page?
Re: All You Need To Know About Lassa Fever by chijioke17(m): 12:13pm On Jan 23, 2020
lalasticlala:

Is the OP the source? No link to the source

I totally didn't realize I didn't include the source, I've done that now though, thanks

3 Likes

Re: All You Need To Know About Lassa Fever by Slawormir: 1:05pm On Jan 23, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
This lassa fever is deadly niggarz. Don't look down on it

This particular fever almost fuckkedd someone up in my family last two year. My female sibling

Got me running from Benin to irrua hospital like mad man
At first I didn't know it was even lassa fever

I spent almost 450,000 naira( every day blood test, pcv test, dialysis, drip). I don't know what type of fever it was o. But blood was coming out from her nose. Her belle and legs swell.
My mum cried all day and night... As a real niggarrr i was scared for the very first time in my life. Seeing the way the nurses and doctors were piercing her with needless to take blood samples all the time scared me the more
But it was later that the doctor said something about lasser abi na yellow fever. The doctor carried her into one machine room like that o. The doctor said it was dialysis abi wetin

Na hospital we for do her birthday and Christmas.

7 Likes

Re: All You Need To Know About Lassa Fever by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jan 23, 2020
lalsticlala:

what if Op is a Doctor, a Public Health Officer?

1 Like

Re: All You Need To Know About Lassa Fever by Perfecttouchade: 1:07pm On Jan 23, 2020
Soon we go dey see Lassa greetings just like the ebola greeting ...the best is to keep your environment clean, I pity those who lives in dirty face me and face house...their rats dey be like giant, operation kill the rats in your neighborhood yanyan...this is one of the benefit of amotekun, FG please amotekun must stay cheesy ..
Re: All You Need To Know About Lassa Fever by MarkT30: 1:07pm On Jan 23, 2020
Nice info
Re: All You Need To Know About Lassa Fever by Gkay1(m): 1:08pm On Jan 23, 2020
Thank you very much for the info, God bless you.
Re: All You Need To Know About Lassa Fever by tstx(m): 1:08pm On Jan 23, 2020
Is it Nigerians again... They won't take the necessary precautions but when they contract the illness they'll start crying

1 Like

Re: All You Need To Know About Lassa Fever by LilSmith55(m): 1:08pm On Jan 23, 2020
Oyinbo go develop disease, kon test am for Africa

4 Likes

Re: All You Need To Know About Lassa Fever by mytime24(f): 1:10pm On Jan 23, 2020
Who is dis fooool above mi, better take down dat pic undecided

1 Like

Re: All You Need To Know About Lassa Fever by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jan 23, 2020
The way this decade started was too dramatic.

Trump first started with a bomb, then the yorubas threw in the Amotekun. Then there's the small matter of Meghan and Harry.

Not to forget also Chioma use Davido and Peruzzi do leg-over, them overthrow Ihedioha from the throne, Mr Mbaka dey read palms, lassa fever don break out, canteen dey use paracetamol boil ponmo grin

This 2020 go sweet gan.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: All You Need To Know About Lassa Fever by Perfecttouchade: 1:15pm On Jan 23, 2020
mytime24:
Who is dis fooool above mi, better take down dat pic undecided
na wa for the poster
Re: All You Need To Know About Lassa Fever by Nobody: 1:16pm On Jan 23, 2020
lalasticlala:

Bros abeg what is the meaning of this things, I don't understand how it works

Banned by the antispam bot in Family for https://www.nairaland.com/5646708/unintentionally-mother-killing-us-pls#8603349

How does antispam bot works? I have been banned severally for this
Re: All You Need To Know About Lassa Fever by Horus(m): 1:18pm On Jan 23, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eti_uybAkzo

All You Need To Know About Lassa Fever
Re: All You Need To Know About Lassa Fever by sheltcon: 1:19pm On Jan 23, 2020
This life is gradually coming to an end, imagine those days when we eat any even if rat had eating from it.

1 Like

Re: All You Need To Know About Lassa Fever by Nobody: 1:20pm On Jan 23, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr
This lassa fever is deadly niggarz. Don't look down on it

This particular fever almost fuckkedd someone up in my family last two year. My female sibling
Can you ever start a phrase without sounding like an American wannabe niggar undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: All You Need To Know About Lassa Fever by GREATESTPIANIST: 1:22pm On Jan 23, 2020
sheltcon:
This life is gradually coming to an end, imagine those days when we eat any even if rat had eating from it.
this world will end this decade by His grace

1 Like

Re: All You Need To Know About Lassa Fever by Nmezor(f): 1:22pm On Jan 23, 2020
Thanks for sharing OP.
Re: All You Need To Know About Lassa Fever by GREATESTPIANIST: 1:23pm On Jan 23, 2020
grossintel:
Can you ever start a phrase without sounding like an American wannabe niggar undecided
yinmu

1 Like

Re: All You Need To Know About Lassa Fever by chukwuibuipob: 1:29pm On Jan 23, 2020
lipsrsealed
Re: All You Need To Know About Lassa Fever by Akaegwu(m): 1:36pm On Jan 23, 2020
Rat was a delicious meal those days. Really enjoyed it. How time flies

(1) (2) (Reply)

Best Sleeping Position During Pregnancy / Woman Dies From Drinking Too Much Coca Cola / Uncircumcised Joysticks Carry Bacteria & Germs – Doctor Warns On MouthGig

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.