Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,502 members, 7,843,518 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 07:17 AM

Anyone Knows Ken Saro Wiwa's Daughter? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anyone Knows Ken Saro Wiwa's Daughter? (1125 Views)

Noo Saro-Wiwa: We Had To Reassemble His Skeleton' - Ken Saro Wiwa's Daughter / Menegian Saro-Wiwa Dies Of Coronavirus In London / Ken Saro Wiwa's Curse On Nigeria 24 Years Ago (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anyone Knows Ken Saro Wiwa's Daughter? by igbesachick: 2:53pm On Jan 26, 2020
i have read a book named "looking for transwonderland", written by ken saro-wiwa's daughter noo saro-wiwa.

wow, what a reminder for me, i can feel and see again the heat and chaos of lagos , the infringed osogbo heritage , the shrinking chad lake, the oil fields in port harcourt, the empty model city abuja, the masqueraders in calabar, the emir ceremony in kano, the lousy and exorbitant nigerian hotels without power supply....

her depiction is vivid and detailed, and she has traveled almost the whole nigeria. what a book , what a woman.

i can see she is proud of her original nationality which is nigerian, but she is objective about things she sees in nigeria, such as the dilapidated streets, the poor and uneducated majority grassroots, and corruption, the jollof rice she likes, the crazy danfos, and even the scam....

so surprised that i have experienced these many things in nigeria without realizing or remembering them , had i not read this reminder.

as a diaspora , she had chances to encounter people from different classes, somehow so did I . this brings more reason for me to feel an empathy to her. and she liked "shoddy" nollywood movies "which do not bother to cater to the international audiance", so did I. but at least, she was disappointed by the "village" shop mall in 2007 while i was happy to see the shipshape shoprite and grab a bite in it in 2015.

do you like her? she is the nigeria writer with the least african trace i have ever known. her thoughts and wording are west/international, although with a bit of abstract patriotism. to an outsider , me, i think she is very cool and impartial. she should be a gem and pride of nigeria. is she really so in your eyes? and what about her father? is he a bonus or minus for her?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Anyone Knows Ken Saro Wiwa's Daughter? by Sammy213(m): 2:54pm On Jan 26, 2020
Ftc

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Anyone Knows Ken Saro Wiwa's Daughter? by igbesachick: 3:10pm On Jan 26, 2020
i dont want to read books written by white writers on african cointries.

i especially detest the "journalism" genre.

but this book is written by a black woman about her own country. and it is not a jumble of critique which is called "journalism" . it is a real travelogue. see what is out there, and say what one sees.

what a wonderful book. i feel privileged to read this book. by the way, she is so "non-black", but nonetheless "local" too. enigmatically fascinating.
Re: Anyone Knows Ken Saro Wiwa's Daughter? by igbesachick: 3:33pm On Jan 26, 2020
i peruse her work very slowly, almost 40 pages per day. and it is fun to read nigerian pidgin english "wetin" "commot" , etc. among her purely immaculate english.
Re: Anyone Knows Ken Saro Wiwa's Daughter? by Yamleg: 10:34am On Feb 03, 2020
igbesachick:
i peruse her work very slowly, almost 40 pages per day. and it is fun to read nigerian pidgin english "wetin" "commot" , etc. among her purely immaculate english.

I stay in Lusada, are you from igbesa?

(1) (Reply)

The Court That Found Actress Funke Guilty Sat In Contravention Of The Law. / Boko Haram Fresh Attack:70 Killed’ As Boko Haram Sets Borno Village On Fire(pix) / “pastor Oyedepo Is A Bastard And A Bald Headed Fowl”- Daddy Freeze Says (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.