Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,096 members, 7,852,703 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 01:32 AM

Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles (26129 Views)

Wike Orders Task Force To Destroy 500 Impounded Commercial Motorcycles / LASG Reiterates Ban On Commercial Motorcycles In Restricted Areas / Lagos Impounds 100 Commercial Motorcycles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by sulaak(m): 2:25pm On Jan 31, 2020
mrsage:
Let's get things clear.
I'm not in love with okoada and Kekes. They also have their faults.

However the government approach is wrong.

First they should consider the social consequences of this so called "restriction".

These bikes and Kekes are a business, Micro Finance banks (who pay taxes to government and employ Lagosians ) have invested heavily in this mode of transportation. How do we expect them to recover?

If the government decides to ban, why can't they give the operators some time. 6-8 months notice is not a bad idea.

Then every party involved will have time to plan an exit strategy.

If you take away a mans means of livelihood how do you expect him to survive?

The government approach is correct! It's the Lagosian approach that is wrong, they continue to support the like of Tinubu and his cohort that have capture the revenues of the states for their self-interest, what kind of people in a "democracy" will tolerate the state of Lagos roads, the lack of mass transit infrastructures and not protest on the street.
Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by DaCharis2016: 2:35pm On Jan 31, 2020
"police are worried"

For where? This man no dey street, so he no know wassup.

Policemen are hurrying up milking bikers rather.

They already started extorting ahead of the 1 February enforcement date."police are worried"

They already started extorting ahead of the 1 February enforcement date.
"police are worried"

Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by olaolaking: 2:36pm On Jan 31, 2020
tsdarkside:

your argument is a fraud....

do you have any prove that this keke people pay tax too or you just assumin....??
people that are not even registered....??

They pay 150 naira every day to council
Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by duwdu: 2:51pm On Jan 31, 2020
sulaak:

The government approach is correct! It's the Lagosian approach that is wrong, they continue to support the like of Tinubu and his cohort that have capture the revenues of the states for their self-interest, what kind of people in a "democracy" will tolerate the state of Lagos roads, the lack of mass transit infrastructures and not protest on the street.

LOL, some of you will become extinct on this "Tinubu" matter... Which other parts of Nigeria have been better developed than Tinubu's Lagos, especially in terms of public infrastructure, that you're basing this your drivel on?

In any case, why don't you lead the street protest? And if you don't live in Lagos, what gives you the right to think you can dictate to Lagosians how their assets are managed? Why do you feel joy in badmouthing and goading other people towards disaster? Is your own private space Utopia?

P34c3

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by winkmart: 2:51pm On Jan 31, 2020
Make them no reach Ipaja
Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by Neddstark: 2:54pm On Jan 31, 2020
Regulate these guys. But still ban them from some major areas in Lagos i.e Third Mainland Bridge and other major bridges
Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by don4real18(m): 2:56pm On Jan 31, 2020
tsdarkside:

do you have any prove that this keke people pay tax too or you just assumin....??

The NURTW collects tax on behalf of the government. That's your proof
Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by duwdu: 2:57pm On Jan 31, 2020
olaolaking:
They pay 150 naira every day to council

Good for them...they can now keep their 150 Naira every day, or invest it in other genuine human endeavors.

P34c3
Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by ranmoor: 2:58pm On Jan 31, 2020
Why are people sweating over this issue?
1. It was only rebanned in 6 local govt, lagos has 20 LGAs
2. Are okada supposed to be plying expressways? Currently, my neighbour is yet to recover from the okada accident he had on Lagos-Ibadan expressway!
3. It has been illegal activities since the days of BRF.. soonest I hope it will be enforced in all the remaining 16 LGAs.

Okada ought to be operating on minor roads and streets.
Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by tityboi: 3:05pm On Jan 31, 2020
Government can change anytime
Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by Yodexy: 3:34pm On Jan 31, 2020
DaCharis2016:
"police are worried"

They already started extorting ahead of the 1 February enforcement date."police are worried"

"police are worried"

Thanks you my brother.
I use my motorcycle to hustle on a part-time basis, but I've been having run-ins with police since that news was released.

They'll just stop me and remove my key. The next thing, they're showing me the news on their phone.

When I argue that it's supposed to take effect February 2, they'll tell me that their Oga just left and he gave orders for them to start arresting bikes.

I had to settle them both times, now my bike just dey house dey chill.

Monkey no fit dey work, make Baboon dey chop.

I heard that some police officers have vowed to build their house, and buy cars on this bike ban matter.

I am just looking at how this whole ban scenario will play out.

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by lexy2014: 3:40pm On Jan 31, 2020
BabaRamota1980:

Government does not owe you job in return for your tax.

Amnesty rewards is not our way of life in Yorubaland.

Govt does not owe you job, and you had better not go into crime if you know whats good for you.

Relocate to other states where you can earn money with your okada.

Seems u are saying govt doesn't owe anyone anything. If govt doesn't owe its citizens jobs, then what does it owe them?

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by lexy2014: 3:42pm On Jan 31, 2020
duwdu:

LOL, some of you will become extinct on this "Tinubu" matter... Which other parts of Nigeria have been better developed than Tinubu's Lagos, especially in terms of public infrastructure, that you're basing this your drivel on?

In any case, why don't you lead the street protest? And if you don't live in Lagos, what gives you the right to think you can dictate to Lagosians how their assets are managed? Why do you feel joy in badmouthing and goading other people towards disaster? Is your own private space Utopia?

P34c3

Pls name d public infrastructure in Lagos provided to Lagos by Tinubu?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by murmee: 3:44pm On Jan 31, 2020
BabaRamota1980:

They dont owe anybody an alternative. You should be asking yourself, now that okada and napep is banned, what alternative do you have for yourself?
What those Okada riders don't even realise is that the Government is even helping by making them rearrange their future. There are many skills to learn that are more dignifying than Okada riding. Would these riders want to do this dangerous work when they are in their fifties and sixties. They are not even thinking of the health hazard of being exposed to wind, sun and rain while riding. A lot of cities have banned them in Nigeria and heaven did not fall!
Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by Basher8583: 3:55pm On Jan 31, 2020
mrsage:
Let's get things clear.
I'm not in love with okoada and Kekes. They also have their faults.

However the government approach is wrong.

First they should consider the social consequences of this so called "restriction".

These bikes and Kekes are a business, Micro Finance banks (who pay taxes to government and employ Lagosians ) have invested heavily in this mode of transportation. How do we expect them to recover?

If the government decides to ban, why can't they give the operators some time. 6-8 months notice is not a bad idea.

Then every party involved will have time to plan an exit strategy.

If you take away a mans means of livelihood how do you expect him to survive?

The investors took a market risk every business goes through it it's not new.
Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by lexy2014: 3:56pm On Jan 31, 2020
Davash222:
Then, who licensed them

D better question should be why does d govt collect taxes from them despite not "licensing" them?
Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by lexy2014: 4:01pm On Jan 31, 2020
murmee:
What those Okada riders don't even realise is that the Government is even helping by making them rearrange their future. There are many skills to learn that are more dignifying than Okada riding. Would these riders want to do this dangerous work when they are in their fifties and sixties. They are not even thinking of the health hazard of being exposed to wind, sun and rain while riding. A lot of cities have banned them in Nigeria and heaven did not fall!

Pls what are d skills to be learned that are more dignifying than okada riding? Has d govt offered these guys better alternatives and opportunities to secure their futures? How has d govt rearranged d future of Lagos in terms of education, health, transportation, agriculture, sanitation, employment etc?

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by atmstyle: 4:04pm On Jan 31, 2020
BabaRamota1980:

They dont owe anybody an alternative. You should be asking yourself, now that okada and napep is banned, what alternative do you have for yourself?
Commisioner Omotosho, is that you?
Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by Eezywayne: 4:21pm On Jan 31, 2020
OUR VISION: help 10,000 Nigerians become landlords by 2030
OUR MISSION: Kill your house rent, and spare your landlord
OUR SOLUTION: Land 48™ - own a land in 48 weeks
OUR STRATEGY: Goal setting + Savings
OUR LOCATIONS: Ota, Ikorodu, Mowe/Ibafo, Ibeju-Lekki
OUR OFFER: Starting from 5k/week
Dare to join us and other landlords-in-progress on this journey of a lifetime!
https://www.ogalandlord.com.ng/
Send a DM or Call/WhatsApp: 08028518313, 09052535870, 07031306757, 08154802848, 08072690607

Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by Unrated900(m): 4:36pm On Jan 31, 2020
Brandstudio01:
I pity for Opay. Please always considered the future before investing your hard earned money in any venture

I pity them really hard

Korope bus will be selling fast now

Naija I hail ooooo
Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by ajl: 4:36pm On Jan 31, 2020
Here is the roll call of serious nuisance and life threatening activities carried out by Okada riders, probably not the ride hailing ones.

1. Attack and destruction of public assets (around May 31, 2018).
https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/mob-attacks-police-station-burns-vehicle-over-killed-okada-rider/amp/

2. Multiple attacks on police stations. Culprits here identified as mainly hausa language speakers (around March 7, 2019).
https://www.google.com/amp/s/dailypost.ng/2019/03/07/police-arrest-9-okada-riders-alleged-attempt-burn-police-station-lagos/amp/

3. Attack on public servants like state enforcement teams (about 2 months ago).
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2019/11/26/12-arrested-as-protesters-attempt-to-burn-police-station-in-lagos/amp/

4. Okada riders set local government council on fire (around Jan 12, 2020)
https://www.google.com/amp/s/blackboxnigeria.com/okada-riders-set-lagos-lga-office-ablaze/amp/

5. Angry Okada riders set petrol tanker on fire (around Oct 12, 2018).
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vanguardngr.com/2018/10/okadamen-set-tanker-ablaze-over-killing-of-two-in-lagos/amp/

6. Set police vehicle on fire around Herbert Macaulay, Yaba (June 12, 2006; part of main story)
https://allafrica.com/stories/200606270251.html

7. Fatal attack on LASTMA officials by Okada riders, arson and vehicles burnt with 1 dead (around Feb 10, 2011).
https://www.thenigerianvoice.com/amp/news/45942/one-dead-two-brt-buses-burnt-as-lastma-and-okada-riders-cl.html

8. Okada riders burnt down police vehicle and attacked police post in Ibeshe, Ikorodu (around May 30, 2018)
https://orientalnewsng.com/iikorodu-crises-lagos-police-command-to-charge-63-okada-riders-for-arson/

9. Okada riders armed with dangerous weapons and PMS attempt to burn down police station (around March 4, 2019).
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.topnews.ng/how-angry-okada-riders-were-stopped-from-burning-down-police-station-in-lagos/amp/

10. Okada riders attacked a senior police officer (before/around April 13, 2019)
https://leadership.ng/2019/04/13/four-okada-riders-in-prison-for-attacking-police-officer/

11. Okada riders attacked and injured state task force officials in Oshodi area (on Dec. 3, 2019).
https://www.chronicle.ng/2019/12/okoda-riders-on-rampage-at-oshodi-attack-taskforce-officials/

12. Okada riders attacked and injured 5 policemen (around Oct. 30, 2015).
https://www.gidipoint.com/okada-riders-injure-five-policemen-in-lagos-riot/

13. Okada riders colleagues attempts to lynch man who slapped/injured their colleague (around Jan 17, 2019).
https://m.guardian.ng/news/man-escapes-lynching-after-hitting-okada-rider/

14. Okada riders lynch two policemen to death (around May 23, 2014).
https://www..com/talk/topic,206202.0.html

15. Lady saved from being lynch after "serial false accuser" Okada rider falsely accused her of "stealing" his manhood. (around Nov 24, 2017).
https://insidemainland.com/2017/11/24/hilarious-wont-believe-actions-sex-crazy-okada-rider-festac/

And so many more, all in Lagos. If you still want these criminals on the road, it's your choice. Last year I went to our property somewhere in Lagos, and there were several hausa speaking youths that congregated and left so much wastes in the drainage. I was told that it's their usual meeting point because they come to that area to make purchases. I couldn't even approach them to take care of their waste and never to congregate by the property again because I know how deadly they are. I simply looked away. Once a young man was lynched to death by Okada riders after false accusation.
Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by SoNature(m): 4:39pm On Jan 31, 2020
payperpost:
Very good
!! majority of you don't know the implications of having illegal immigrants everywhere including boko haram elements in thousands in Lagos disguising as okada men., plateau state for instance banned it during Jos crisis and that was the end of the crisis because these fighters and trouble makers relocated to southwest.
the moment okada was banned in those states, they started throwing their okada into the next available trailer heading to Lagos, that is what is responsible for the high number of Chadians , Nigeriens , Senegalese and Malians you see in Lagos today, a LGA office was burnt down few weeks ago including all the sewing machines the government is using for skill empowerment programmes, that is boko haram loading.
they even burgled all the offices and stole all valuables in the broad day light .
this is a matter of security of life and security

Some of you just make a lot of annoying assumptions.

Boko Haram made it abundantly clear right from when the police killed Mohammed Yusuf that their mission was to islamize northern Nigeria, including Abuja.

If Boko Haram could bomb UN Building and Police Force headquarters in Abuja, huncle, Lagos na akamu case.
Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by Litmus: 5:10pm On Jan 31, 2020
Obodo oyibo thingz grin. Nigerians want abroad standards but don’t like what it looks like when leadership give them it. Anyway, Logos govt should license Gokada and others like it as well as Keke. Gokada and keke are not bad and do lend the city a unique character. Nigeria should lean towards developing cities that have unique characteristics that set them apart from other world cities. However, with Keke, govt could implement standards below which keke owners must not stray or risk loosing their license.

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by dederocs(m): 5:16pm On Jan 31, 2020
Critical times calls for critical actions.
Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by Mrblaq1990: 5:31pm On Jan 31, 2020
I live in Ikorodu and ply the highway daily and I know how much these bikers endanger human lives though I also believe the government should try to fix the bad roads so they can be smoother journies and also the lastma officials should be more effective and stop those yellow and red buses from stopping along the roads the way they want. We commercial bus users should also endeavor to go to the bus stops to hop on a bus not any road side. ✌️

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by byteem: 5:56pm On Jan 31, 2020
tsdarkside:

yes i do.. everytime you are sent a bill .. tax is deducted cheque the breakdown.. same applies to taxify, and al others
Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by petitejolie(f): 6:03pm On Jan 31, 2020
U people against this don't know anything. Let d government carry on. I'll rather use my head Dan let emotions becloud my sense of judgement.
Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by ajl: 6:21pm On Jan 31, 2020
SoNature:

Some of you just make a lot of annoying assumptions.

Boko Haram made it abundantly clear right from when the police killed Mohammed Yusuf that their mission was to islamize northern Nigeria, including Abuja.

If Boko Haram could bomb UN Building and Police Force headquarters in Abuja, huncle, Lagos na akamu case.

You both are saying the same thing. Obvious you did not comprehend the point commenter made. Because they have not bombed Lagos does not mean they won't in the future. And should people and govt wait for that to happen. The chaos in Lagos is mind blowing. Lagos is like an open air asylum and you can't tell the difference between the same and the insane.

1 Like

Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by olalekan9320(m): 7:30pm On Jan 31, 2020
BabaRamota1980:

Government do not owe its citizen anything? Little wonder we keep retrogressing.
Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by tsdarkside(m): 7:30pm On Jan 31, 2020
byteem:

yes i do.. everytime you are sent a bill .. tax is deducted cheque the breakdown.. same applies to taxify, and al others

i dont know....i dont jump on kekes or okada or what wharever....

i rather sit in my car or walk.... undecided undecided
Re: Lagos State Says It Did Not License Anybody To Operate Commercial Motorcycles by ashantitope: 8:32pm On Jan 31, 2020
Brandstudio01:
I pity for Opay. Please always considered the future before investing your hard earned money in any venture

Let forget about future I can assure you that if you have money and interest in the business you will have invest.

What are the other means that this so called commissioner provide for them

I work in ajah while my family are in mainland just because of the traffic I drop my car to go home with opay and I control the rider just for my life sake

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Premium Times:- No Discrepancy In Buhari’s WAEC Attestation Certificate / ‘Bury Your Head In Shame’ – Oyegun To APC / DSS Confirms Receipt Of Court Order To Release Sowore

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.