Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,242 members, 7,818,826 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:04 AM

Rich Marrying Rich, Poor Marrying Poor: Way Forward? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Rich Marrying Rich, Poor Marrying Poor: Way Forward? (7509 Views)

Humiliation, A Poor Way Of Rebuking Children/wards/juniors / Unemployed Man Marrying An Unemployed Woman; Your Take? / Father Impreginates Daughter Insists On Marrying Her (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rich Marrying Rich, Poor Marrying Poor: Way Forward? by PrincessJ3(f): 1:41am On Jan 23, 2006
Rich Marrying Rich, Poor Marrying Poor - Where Is The Way Forward?

Why should rich parents insist their children marry into other wealthy family Of course we know these days that some children from poor backgrounds grow to become better, respectable and rich people!!!

How are we going to stop this; could it be by legislation, religion, decree, cultural or moral revisitation? Or we could just leave everything to time, because time changes things.
Re: Rich Marrying Rich, Poor Marrying Poor: Way Forward? by Seun(m): 2:14am On Jan 23, 2006
You can't force rich people to marry their children to poor people. What you can do is encourage them to allow their children to marry both rich and poor as long as the love and the determination to make the marriage work are there.
Re: Rich Marrying Rich, Poor Marrying Poor: Way Forward? by hotangel2(f): 3:15am On Jan 23, 2006
I don't really think, these thing happen in real life as much as it does in movies. I mean the rich parents wanting their kids to marry other kids from rich parents.

Love is mostly what counts. if they are both in love, i think the parents can't really do much about it.
Re: Rich Marrying Rich, Poor Marrying Poor: Way Forward? by PrincessJ3(f): 3:46am On Jan 23, 2006
hot-angel:

I don't really think, these thing happen in real life as much as it does in movies. I mean the rich parents wanting their kids to marry other kids from rich parents.

Love is mostly what counts. if they are both in love, i think the parents can't really do much about it.
well, i think you're right angel. but it does go on in some places!
the parents want to keep their pride by forcing their children to marry into prestigious families!!
Re: Rich Marrying Rich, Poor Marrying Poor: Way Forward? by 2nde(m): 4:49am On Jan 23, 2006
You are all right, some do force thier children, some dont. I think the level of education now is making the parent powerless for them to force thier child into doing anything pertaining to such.
What those who fall under such circumstances should do is to call thier parent with full respect and let them know your actual mind, let them know how much you really care about each other and not yelling as they are yelling too. I think with that, the parent will understand how thier child feels and adjust.
Re: Rich Marrying Rich, Poor Marrying Poor: Way Forward? by DEKING3(m): 8:40am On Jan 23, 2006
I believe that is gradually changing these days especially with the enlightened, rich or poor. But I strongly believe that the children involved have the bigger role to play. If you really love someone and want to stick to him or her, get your mind made up and let your parents know it. Afterall, they can't bundle you into a family you don't want to go to.
Re: Rich Marrying Rich, Poor Marrying Poor: Way Forward? by skima(m): 11:31am On Jan 23, 2006
Love is the koko... We should also understand that some rich could have married poor but they never get contact... and i dont think its possible to go to jungle wen u already found ur love.

Though this days parent dont force their children to marry a particular person .. its now their choice.
Re: Rich Marrying Rich, Poor Marrying Poor: Way Forward? by juwon(m): 12:58pm On Jan 23, 2006
well for me i dont know why i would not like my kids to get married to poor any way any body who is rich has gne thru a poor state well am still poor now lol......
Re: Rich Marrying Rich, Poor Marrying Poor: Way Forward? by dejiolowe: 3:00pm On Jan 23, 2006
love is important but i still want my baby girl to marry at least a promising young man. money is also key or whatelse r we working for?
Re: Rich Marrying Rich, Poor Marrying Poor: Way Forward? by prettyH(f): 7:12pm On Jan 23, 2006
Princess-J:

Rich Marrying Rich, Poor Marrying Poor - Where Is The Way Forward?

Why should rich parents insist their children marry into other wealthy family Of course we know these days that some children from poor backgrounds grow to become better, respectable and rich people!!!

How are we going to stop this; could it be by legislation, religion, decree, cultural or moral revisitation? Or we could just leave everything to time, because time changes things.

I really do agree with your observation. Rich folks always want their kids to remain in the same social circle and not only the parents don't want to loose face in society. Again, even when the those considered as poor try to infiltrate into these social circles. they are looked down on and considered as gold diggers. On very few occassions will one encounter a wealthy person marrying another outside their circle.

As per ending it, obviously the first thing will be for parents to be re-orientated. The poor will one day be rich and the rich can fall from grace. Life is a merry go round that tosses us back and forth.

Despite that though, will parents stop pairing their kids up? I doubt it because as with racism , though it may eventually not be as rampant, it still exists .
Re: Rich Marrying Rich, Poor Marrying Poor: Way Forward? by skima(m): 1:57pm On Jan 24, 2006
I cant advice any guy to go n search for rich girl to marry.. though they can date each other and later go seperate.

If u really wanna hold ur man's position be the to provide and respect marry who is not richer dan u so dat u will have full control of ur marital life...

Note:citing from examples
Re: Rich Marrying Rich, Poor Marrying Poor: Way Forward? by IB7(f): 9:12pm On Jan 24, 2006
Rich marrying rich, poor marrying poor.... leave it or take it. It does exists and it does happen. I am a living display of it.

Regards,
I.B.
Re: Rich Marrying Rich, Poor Marrying Poor: Way Forward? by allonym: 1:09am On Jan 25, 2006
one may say that the parents have nothing to do with it. . . nothing could be further than the truth.

Parents are one of the major influences on a person's life. Parents (those who are or plan on being one probably would agree with this) don't wait until their child is doing something they don't like to start working to dissuade their children of those options. It starts early. If someone doesn't want their children marrying into some family, they don't wait until their kid is 25 and is dating someone from their, when their kid is three - "child, family X is a bad family, nothing good comes from there." Kid is 5, "child, you deserve someone of your stature, nobody from a lower social class can truely understand you". Etc.

So, if you work diligently and situations work in your favor, you can help ensure your kid will never think about marrying whichever group you may not like.
Re: Rich Marrying Rich, Poor Marrying Poor: Way Forward? by Swish(m): 10:51pm On Jan 25, 2006
well, i think why may be due to financial security. if you've experienced "poverty" or anything close then you might not really blame such parents 'cos they think they're looking out for their children b doing so. well i'm like rich or anything like that but comfortable to a certain degree. My ex is from a not too well off home, her mom raised them on frying of akara and stuff, so she kinda promised she wasn't going to be in the same situation. By that she kinda pressured me out of the relationship, if you understand me
Re: Rich Marrying Rich, Poor Marrying Poor: Way Forward? by sumbo(f): 1:03pm On Feb 01, 2006
recently my sister and i were discussing about the issue and concluded it is the people you see you fall in love with

most of the rich marring rich, u would agree with me is how they met, either through parents (biz partners) that is when the issue of you must marry my friends comes in

these rich children meet in planes, friends party abroad, schools abroad, clubs etc

while the poor meet in bus, road, food joints and so on

at the end when the rich finally comes in contact with the poor, there is a problem because the parents are not used to the idea (not to blame them WHO do they meet them selves)

most time these marriage do not work (rich to rich, poor to poor), considering the statistics we have, Biola Okoya, Gbenga Obasanjo...

but the poor, even if they are drinking Garri together

well its what i feel
Re: Rich Marrying Rich, Poor Marrying Poor: Way Forward? by snazzydawn(f): 7:42pm On Feb 04, 2006
I.B.:

Rich marrying rich, poor marrying poor.... leave it or take it. It does exists and it does happen. I am a living display of it.

Regards,
I.B.

Re: Rich Marrying Rich, Poor Marrying Poor: Way Forward? by Latoya(f): 3:21am On Feb 05, 2006
Yea IB, i agree wiv u,it does happen.
Re: Rich Marrying Rich, Poor Marrying Poor: Way Forward? by papermoon(f): 3:28pm On Feb 05, 2006
cry
Re: Rich Marrying Rich, Poor Marrying Poor: Way Forward? by eveseh(f): 3:43pm On Apr 28, 2006
dejiolowe:

love is important but i still want my baby girl to marry at least a promising young man. money is also key or whatelse r we working for?

grin grin grin grin
Re: Rich Marrying Rich, Poor Marrying Poor: Way Forward? by allonym: 3:31pm On May 09, 2006
Swish:

well, i think why may be due to financial security. if you've experienced "poverty" or anything close then you might not really blame such parents 'because they think they're looking out for their children b doing so. well i'm like rich or anything like that but comfortable to a certain degree. My ex is from a not too well off home, her mom raised them on frying of akara and stuff, so she kind of promised she wasn't going to be in the same situation. By that she kind of pressured me out of the relationship, if you understand me

I don't think financial security would make a poor person marry someone else who is poor. Neither does financial security come into play if you are rich and plan on marrying someone else who is rich.
Re: Rich Marrying Rich, Poor Marrying Poor: Way Forward? by DaHitler(m): 4:09pm On May 09, 2006
Marriage is as much an economic decision as it is about the illusion of "love" (Love doesn't exist). Hence, why not aim to marry into the richest family you can get into? And when you and everyone does this, you end up marrying withing your economic class.

Edit: And this is best. It would be terrible to be married to a woman that your family considers to be omo otta (My Yoruba sucks cry) or aje butter.
Re: Rich Marrying Rich, Poor Marrying Poor: Way Forward? by di4real(f): 5:26pm On May 09, 2006
REALLY,I DONT THINK THAT IS HAPPENING ANYMORE.MOST RICH PEOPLE NOW BELIEVE THAT LOVE MATTERS MOST IN RELATIONSHIPS.SO,EXCEPT WHERE BUSINESS MOGULS ARE CONCERNED,i.e WHERE THE MARRIAGE WILL BE ON THE BASES OF CREATING A BUSNESS ALLIANCE, THE PRACTICE IS ALMOST INEXISTENT NOW.SOME EVEN PREFER TO MARRY THEIR SIBLINGS TO THE POOR BECAUSE THEY KNOW THEY'LL HAVE AN EDGE OVER HIM/HER. kiss
Re: Rich Marrying Rich, Poor Marrying Poor: Way Forward? by ramono(m): 7:30pm On May 09, 2006
I have a friend from a working class family who got married to the daughter of a billionaire. He's had to put up with direct and indirect taunts of being a gold digger. But he has refused to be dissuaded and his wife seems to manage the average lifestyle they are living.

I have another friend from a very rich family who hasnt been allowed to marry the lady of his choice beacuase she isnt from a reputable family. He's the heir to a business empire. He's confused on this issue.

The bottom line is to know what you want and if you can live with what comes after.
Re: Rich Marrying Rich, Poor Marrying Poor: Way Forward? by papermoon(f): 7:43pm On May 09, 2006
cry cry
Re: Rich Marrying Rich, Poor Marrying Poor: Way Forward? by ramono(m): 7:55pm On May 09, 2006
Yes,@PMoon.

I have my own pride and I'm confident that I will be a rich man myself, so its quite 'unfortunate' that I will remain in the middle and working classes in my search for a life partner.

The circumstances of one's birth are beyond choice, so u have to live with that.
Re: Rich Marrying Rich, Poor Marrying Poor: Way Forward? by segedoo(m): 8:14pm On May 09, 2006
let's just say to keep the wealth in the family. that's pretty obvious!
Re: Rich Marrying Rich, Poor Marrying Poor: Way Forward? by micklplus(m): 9:30am On May 10, 2006
Its just pathetic that , the issue of LOVE is not important to this RICH families when talking about MARRIAGE and the happiness of their wards !
Re: Rich Marrying Rich, Poor Marrying Poor: Way Forward? by SeunO(m): 1:24pm On May 10, 2006
I believe Rich marrying Rich is alright, it is even good. It is better for people from similar backgrounds to get married to each other, this is because it is very likely that their perspectives and approach to issues would be similar. So parental matchmaking is Alright. Marriage is the oldest form of beneficial alliance between families and nations known to man. And LOVE?, it is simply OVER-RATED
Re: Rich Marrying Rich, Poor Marrying Poor: Way Forward? by SeunO(m): 1:26pm On May 10, 2006
I believe Rich marrying Rich is alright, it is even good. It is better for people from similar backgrounds to get married to each other, this is because it is very likely that their perspectives and approach to issues would be similar. So parental matchmaking is Alright. Marriage is the oldest form of beneficial alliance between families and nations known to man. And LOVE?, it is simply OVER-RATED in my own opinion
Re: Rich Marrying Rich, Poor Marrying Poor: Way Forward? by zebudaya(m): 7:33pm On May 10, 2006
SeunO you just love money, riches, capitalism, and more money. in the end does it really matter. It seems to me that you go through life judging only by its financial worth. How can you say real [b]love [/b]is overated?
Re: Rich Marrying Rich, Poor Marrying Poor: Way Forward? by Ashiwaju(m): 11:19pm On May 10, 2006
This is a reality oo, the rich men only wants to secure them child from Ajegunle boy's and getto star, as much as i know its not right but i just cant compromise you know.

Hustler fit no treat dem picking well ooo but when love is the motive, something good would definately come out of the relation,( i mean Poor and Rich) and if you ask me, i would say every body is poor for as long as no body is hundred percent fit. We all have differences and the bad side of us could also be refered to as being poor. Money wise. No rich man or woman for this nairaland go leave him picking marry Mr. Nobody especially when they see no future(Potential) for the Mr. Nobody. We all like our Sons and Daughters wedding to come out on ovation, London times and new york times, We all love sweet and success story.
Re: Rich Marrying Rich, Poor Marrying Poor: Way Forward? by PrincessJ3(f): 12:10am On Sep 03, 2006
I Just want to say that LOVE REALLY DOES EXIST!
not that i've experienced it, but there is such a thing as perfect love, but its only by Gods strenthenin that we are enabled to overlook eachothers weaknesses!

I'm against the idea of parents choosing their childrens life partners 99%. the other 1% is reserved for situations whereby the parents are worried and can forsee that what your gettin into is not the best for you, because remember parents are always more wiser as they've experienced some things that even us as children, maybe, cannot even comprehend! However my position is that they can advice us and warn us if we're not doing whats best for us, but they have no right to matchmake! This is because it is imperative that LOVE is the foundation of every relationship, souly because with love there is understanding and care, and TRUE love NEVER waxes cold!!!

I believe that even up till today and now cases wherby parents want to marry their children into homes of the same socail standards still occur. However, we must remember that this is only one example: physical standard, moral standard, religion, age, race, etc. Never mind our parents actions, even we ourselves categories our chosen standards as elegable partner material!!
Unfortunately, there is no mass or automatic way to stop this discrimation among men. Nonethless, it is up to each indiviaual to rehabilitate their mind. smiley
[/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][color=#990000][/color]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Beautiful Bouncy/ Bouncing Castle For Sale in Lagos / God In Heaven Where Is Thy Face? This Is Just The Height Of It.. / 7 Things Guys Must Have Before They Get Married

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.