Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,066 members, 7,828,775 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:58 PM

He Scams Over $70, 000 And Ends Up In Prison - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / He Scams Over $70, 000 And Ends Up In Prison (2268 Views)

Company Raises Minimum Pay To $70,000/yr No Matter Ur Qualification- N14 Million / How Tinubu's Loot Ends Up In Hilary Clinton's Purse: The Chagoury Connection / SURE-P Supports Youths In Boko Haram-torn States With $70,000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

He Scams Over $70, 000 And Ends Up In Prison by supereagle(m): 6:22am On Dec 11, 2010
The inordinate ambition of a young man to reap where he did not sow backfired recently when operatives of the Economic And Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, pounced on him and he ended up in the prison yard.   Olaniyi Victor Makinde, an internet fraudster was arrested for allegedly defrauding two Americans of over $70,000 in a purported marriage scam.

The suspect, a 2010 Economics graduate of the University of Ado Ekiti (UNAD) had  allegedly obtained  the said sum  from the  Americans, identified as Marilou Sibbaluca and John Massoni.

It was gathered that he met the victims at a dating site last year while he was still an undergraduate of UNAD.  One of the victims Sibbaluca allegedly told him  that she was in need of a partner, and Makinde didn’t waste time in positioning himself as the Mr. Right for the lady.

In one of the scam messages he sent to the victim, Makinde profiled himself  as  a black American from Queens in New York.

“We are two from my parents. I am 27 years old while my kid brother Tommy Victor is 12 years old, and a student of Tennessee High School in Hollywood. I am 5.9 m tall. My hair is dark, my eyes blue, my parents stay in New York and I just graduated from the University of California. My father owns an oil company and I am now in charge of the company and my mother is a professional Nurse in NY.”

To foreclose any doubt, he sent the victim a picture of a white couple he downloaded from the internet, claiming that the lady in the photograph was his late wife.  He promised to marry the victim. Convinced that the victim had swallowed his bait, Makinde moved in for the kill. He introduced phony businesses to the victim, in the process, she lost over $30,000 to the fraudster.

Makinde presented himself as a woman to the second victim, Massoni with an offer to marry him. The victim not knowing that he was dealing with a scammer started sending money to his ‘fiancee’ and lost $40,000 in the process. During interrogation, Makinde confessed to the crime, but claimed that one Francis Howell who resides in Amsterdam, Holland was the mastermind of the 419 scheme.

He claimed that his share of proceeds from the crime was only N2.3million. From the money, he bought a 2006 model Honda Accord but his father, a top civil servant in Ondo State would not allow him to park the car in his compound until he explained how he got the money to buy the luxury car. Makinde was arrested while attempting to dispose of the car

When he was  arraigned before Justice Olasehinde Kumuyi, the Chief Judge of Ondo State, at the Akure High Court, his lawyer argued for his bail  which was opposed by the prosecution counsel, Mr. Festus Ojo. His lawyer claimed he was only served the process at the court premises moments before the commencement of trial and that he needed time to respond to the motion as the Commission intends to oppose the bail application taking into cognizance the difficulties encountered in apprehending the accused person.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/12/he-scams-over-70-000-and-ends-up-in-prison/
Re: He Scams Over $70, 000 And Ends Up In Prison by supereagle(m): 6:26am On Dec 11, 2010
The judge should not show mercy at all, bad people spoiling the Image of Nigeria should be in Jail.
Re: He Scams Over $70, 000 And Ends Up In Prison by jaybee3(m): 6:37am On Dec 11, 2010
Thumbs up to the dad
Re: He Scams Over $70, 000 And Ends Up In Prison by Nobody: 7:17am On Dec 11, 2010
I thought this scam bastards are repenting not knowing they are still in active service. This criminals are responsible for why promising young Nigerians aren't getting good partners. They flash ill gotten wealth to entice ladies to take others as having no future. Imagine a 27 yr old having a 2006 accord. Girls will think hes one in town not knowing hes a criminal.

let him wrath in jail
Re: He Scams Over $70, 000 And Ends Up In Prison by supereagle(m): 6:39am On Dec 12, 2010
toba:

I thought this scam bastards are repenting not knowing they are still in active service. This criminals are responsible for why promising young Nigerians aren't getting good partners. They flash ill gotten wealth to entice ladies to take others as having no future. Imagine a 27 yr old having a 2006 accord. Girls will think hes one in town not knowing hes a criminal.

let him wrath in jail

They are still active, they have not repented.
Re: He Scams Over $70, 000 And Ends Up In Prison by 1025: 8:22am On Dec 12, 2010
The judge should not show mercy at all, bad people spoiling the Image of Nigeria should be in Jail.

@supereagle,
i hope to get the justified jail term for the fraudstar, the judge will divide N198b by six months = mrs ibru and then use it to convert that of $70,000 to determine the jail term.
efcc must understand that if bode george goes in for 2 yrs for stealing over N100b from us, this man that stole $70,000 from foreigner deserves nothing more than two weeks in prison otherwise we will still believe that they are still they jokers we know.
Re: He Scams Over $70, 000 And Ends Up In Prison by adebayo111: 1:35pm On Dec 12, 2010
Its thru that the judgement should be calculated according to how much is involved. Bode george, 2yrs for *100bn. Then the guy should get less.

Law are made for the poor in nigeria. In china, people like bode george, cecilia ibru, james ibori, atiku , obj ,alam,tinubu and co, will by now be bitting their fingers on their way to meet their creator.
Re: He Scams Over $70, 000 And Ends Up In Prison by keyremotes(m): 2:38pm On Dec 12, 2010
toba:

let him wrath in jail
I feel your pain jare.
Good for him. More will go this way.
HARD WORK PAYS.
Re: He Scams Over $70, 000 And Ends Up In Prison by redsun(m): 2:49pm On Dec 12, 2010
Scams never ends,the whole man made world is built on scam.

I am surprise to know that men like the culprit's dad still exist in nigeria,men with principled and accountable minds,
Re: He Scams Over $70, 000 And Ends Up In Prison by keyremotes(m): 3:17pm On Dec 12, 2010
redsun:

Scams never ends,the whole man made world is built on scam.

I am surprise to know that men like the culprit's dad still exist in nigeria,men with principled and accountable minds,

For your information there are thousands more like this father here in Nigeria.
Things are not as bad as that!!
Re: He Scams Over $70, 000 And Ends Up In Prison by Nobody: 3:30pm On Dec 12, 2010
too bad for the maga after so much prayers and dry fasting

Re: He Scams Over $70, 000 And Ends Up In Prison by redsun(m): 4:06pm On Dec 12, 2010
keyremotes:

For your information there are thousands more like this father here in Nigeria.
Things are not as bad as that!!

O yeah.So there are still some men that can refuse bribe in nigeria?

(1) (Reply)

SSS Arrests The Sun Columnist Okey Ndibe • Seize His US Passport / It Is Not Bleaching, I Just Take Too Much Fanta, Says Alao Akala / NBA President Alleges That Justice Was Bought And Sold In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.