Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,149 members, 7,821,923 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:49 PM

‘Nigeria Should Start Producing Condoms’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘Nigeria Should Start Producing Condoms’ (2041 Views)

"Boko Haram Producing Fuel In Sambisa" / Oil Producing states In Nigeria - The Facts and Figures / Lagos Set To Join Oil Producing States As Production Begins This Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘Nigeria Should Start Producing Condoms’ by LocalChamp: 10:57pm On Dec 11, 2010
‘Nigeria should start producing condoms’

December 10, 2010 06:44AM

The Director of Planning and Research in the Ministry of Health, Muhammed Lecky, has advised that Nigeria should consider local production of condom as an alternative to importation to fast-track the fight against unwanted pregnancies, HIV, as well as to open an avenue for employment.

Mr Lecky said that such suggestion became necessary in the light of the huge consumption of the commodity in the country. “We have the raw materials, we have Export Free Zones and we produce oil which is the basic ingredients for producing latex condom here,” he said.

He spoke against the backdrop of a donor report claiming that the federal government was not providing enough fund to import condom. The report also stated that at least 20 million pieces of condom were consumed in 2009. “We have employment problem here in Nigeria and we are getting people who donate $52 million and buying 200 million pieces of condoms for Nigerians,” he said. “Yet we are talking of government not spending money on the commodities; so why are we not producing these things here.”

He said that development partners should support the manufacture of condoms in Nigeria instead of importation, to make the condom policy more efficient. “Let the partners themselves propose it as an option, so that the more we produce, the more we have efficiency; the price will drop and everything will be on demand,” he said. “Usage will definitely go up because it will now be affordable, accessible and available without any logistics problems.”

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/5652010-147/story.csp
Re: ‘Nigeria Should Start Producing Condoms’ by Nobody: 11:25pm On Dec 11, 2010
As long as it's not aba made.
Re: ‘Nigeria Should Start Producing Condoms’ by Nobody: 11:36pm On Dec 11, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

As long as it's not aba made. shocked
true yarn afterall we are talking about life and death here.
Re: ‘Nigeria Should Start Producing Condoms’ by udezue(m): 11:41pm On Dec 11, 2010
Shut ur ass up illekeidiamin.
Re: ‘Nigeria Should Start Producing Condoms’ by Nobody: 11:44pm On Dec 11, 2010
you think she has no point abi ? undecided angry
Re: ‘Nigeria Should Start Producing Condoms’ by ladej(m): 11:51pm On Dec 11, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

madam ileke. nothing do u cheesy
Re: ‘Nigeria Should Start Producing Condoms’ by Woke4all(m): 12:18am On Dec 12, 2010
LocalChamp:

‘Nigeria should start producing condoms’

December 10, 2010 06:44AM

The Director of Planning and Research in the Ministry of Health, Muhammed Lecky, has advised that Nigeria should consider local production of condom as an alternative to importation to fast-track the fight against unwanted pregnancies, HIV, as well as to open an avenue for employment.

Mr Lecky said that such suggestion became necessary in the light of the huge consumption of the commodity in the country. “We have the raw materials, we have Export Free Zones and we produce oil which is the basic ingredients for producing latex condom here,” he said.

He spoke against the backdrop of a donor report claiming that the federal government was not providing enough fund to import condom. The report also stated that at least 20 million pieces of condom were consumed in 2009. “We have employment problem here in Nigeria and we are getting people who donate $52 million and buying 200 million pieces of condoms for Nigerians,” he said. “Yet we are talking of government not spending money on the commodities; so why are we not producing these things here.”

He said that development partners should support the manufacture of condoms in Nigeria instead of importation, to make the condom policy more efficient. “Let the partners themselves propose it as an option, so that the more we produce, the more we have efficiency; the price will drop and everything will be on demand,” he said. “Usage will definitely go up because it will now be affordable, accessible and available without any logistics problems.”

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/5652010-147/story.csp
Are there some who can't afford a pack or they are just ignorant of using it?
Re: ‘Nigeria Should Start Producing Condoms’ by udezue(m): 12:23am On Dec 12, 2010
Can Ekiti even produce water bottle talkless of condoms? Forest dwelling bush people.
Re: ‘Nigeria Should Start Producing Condoms’ by Nobody: 12:26am On Dec 12, 2010
udezue:

Can Ekiti even produce water bottle talkless of condoms? Forest dwelling bush people.

ROTFL. Very funny.

You're too cute to be rude. grin
Re: ‘Nigeria Should Start Producing Condoms’ by Nobody: 12:29am On Dec 12, 2010
Woke4all:

Are there some who can't afford a pack or they are just ignorant of using it?
how cheaper could it be when gold circle goes for #20 already.anything below that amount,i doubt its reliabililty
Re: ‘Nigeria Should Start Producing Condoms’ by Nobody: 12:34am On Dec 12, 2010
Thinking about it, it's really odd that we don't produce our own condoms.
Re: ‘Nigeria Should Start Producing Condoms’ by strangerf: 12:36am On Dec 12, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

True talk!

Seriously, as long as Ibos are not involved!

Cant trust any of them!
Re: ‘Nigeria Should Start Producing Condoms’ by Woke4all(m): 12:37am On Dec 12, 2010
^^
Government should start distributing condom free rather than thinking of producing the ones that will disappoint people. grin
~Bluetooth:

how cheaper could it be when gold circle goes for #20 already.anything below that amount,i doubt its reliabililty
Re: ‘Nigeria Should Start Producing Condoms’ by redsun(m): 12:44am On Dec 12, 2010
Must every thing be rocket science in nigeria?Condoms,why can't we make condoms in nigeria?Making condoms is just a process that could understood.

Our brains are not working,everything seem to be a mystery.
Re: ‘Nigeria Should Start Producing Condoms’ by Nobody: 12:47am On Dec 12, 2010
redsun said:

Must every thing be rocket science in nigeria? Condoms,why can't we make condoms in nigeria?Making condoms is just a process that could understood.

Our brains are not working, everything seem to be a mystery.

What's stopping you?

Is it not your fellow man that developed a desktop computer and became the world's richest person?

In any case we manufacture far more complex things in Nigeria than condoms, such as cars for instance, so the problem could be it's just not very lucrative or cost effective to entrepreneurs.
Re: ‘Nigeria Should Start Producing Condoms’ by udezue(m): 12:49am On Dec 12, 2010
LOL @ Ileke
Re: ‘Nigeria Should Start Producing Condoms’ by redsun(m): 12:50am On Dec 12, 2010
ROSSIKE:

redsun said:

What's stopping you?

Who said i want to make condoms?But if i must do it,i can.
Re: ‘Nigeria Should Start Producing Condoms’ by Nobody: 12:56am On Dec 12, 2010
redsun:

Who said i want to make condoms?But if i must do it,i can.
so why are you wasting your talent ?
Re: ‘Nigeria Should Start Producing Condoms’ by redsun(m): 1:04am On Dec 12, 2010
~Bluetooth:

so why are you wasting your talent ?

Making condom is a possibility i am not personally keen on but for who wants to make condoms,it is as down to earth as making eleganza plastic products in nigeria.All that are required are the finance,the goal and the atmosphere.
Re: ‘Nigeria Should Start Producing Condoms’ by strangerf: 1:06am On Dec 12, 2010
And people who are willing to use Made in Nigeria Condom

I know I am never going to use anything produced in Nigeria,
Re: ‘Nigeria Should Start Producing Condoms’ by redsun(m): 1:13am On Dec 12, 2010
Do we understand the process of alchemy?That even ancient Egyptians understood
Re: ‘Nigeria Should Start Producing Condoms’ by Dsense(m): 1:39am On Dec 12, 2010
OP,
That would be brilliant step if can be conducted.!
I support Igbo to join the task but Aba ppl . . . .No! No to Aba ppl grin
grin
Ileke-IdI:

These ppl would kidnap you one day grin grin grin
Re: ‘Nigeria Should Start Producing Condoms’ by redsun(m): 1:55am On Dec 12, 2010
Making things is act of creation,using our brains,resources,hands and legs to solve our problems and evolve.The act of existence.
Re: ‘Nigeria Should Start Producing Condoms’ by Becomrich12: 2:34am On Dec 12, 2010
jonathan should go and give them in the north.
Re: ‘Nigeria Should Start Producing Condoms’ by Nobody: 2:36am On Dec 12, 2010
Becomrich?:

jonathan should go and give them in the north.
ROTFL.
Re: ‘Nigeria Should Start Producing Condoms’ by Becomrich12: 2:45am On Dec 12, 2010
Ileke-IdI do you use it
Re: ‘Nigeria Should Start Producing Condoms’ by Nobody: 2:46am On Dec 12, 2010
Becomrich?:

Ileke-IdI do you use it

LOL becommrich. You're sth else.
Re: ‘Nigeria Should Start Producing Condoms’ by Nobody: 2:49am On Dec 12, 2010
Becomrich?:

Ileke-IdI do you use it
what if she is intact n ko ? undecided
Re: ‘Nigeria Should Start Producing Condoms’ by strangerf: 2:52am On Dec 12, 2010
^^^

Meaning?
Re: ‘Nigeria Should Start Producing Condoms’ by Nobody: 2:55am On Dec 12, 2010
sealed ! grin
Re: ‘Nigeria Should Start Producing Condoms’ by Pharoh: 8:03am On Dec 12, 2010
I don't know the kind of hatred people have for igbo made product, the asians started this way too. We should see ourselves as one and try to support or is it a case of jealousy? undecided
Re: ‘Nigeria Should Start Producing Condoms’ by leonaidas(m): 8:33am On Dec 12, 2010
I thought gold circle was made in Nigeria, and what about D'banj's condom biz? Or is it just a rumour?

(1) (2) (Reply)

A More Balanced Review Of Achebe's Biafran War Memoir By Noo Saro-wiwa / Captain Idris Wada Of Kogi State Involved In An Accident. / Who Be The Dullest Governor For Naija?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.