Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,239 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:35 AM

Guys, What Happened To Tinapa! - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Guys, What Happened To Tinapa! (5795 Views)

What Happened To Tinapa? / Why Is The Federal Govt Killing Tinapa? / Donald Duke: A Fraud Or Visionary? (Tinapa) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Guys, What Happened To Tinapa! by strangerf: 10:32am On Dec 12, 2010
^^^^

Blame the Yoruba man, as always!
Re: Guys, What Happened To Tinapa! by SapeleGuy: 10:48am On Dec 12, 2010
^^^I don't play that game. Nah question I ask.

If OBJ makes a mistake how does that equate to the whole Yoruba nation? are you now saying that the Yoruba nation endorsed his every move?
Re: Guys, What Happened To Tinapa! by DapoBear(m): 10:48am On Dec 12, 2010
How is the project being held back by the federal gov't, specifically? Like, name X Y and Z that the fed gov't should do to make the project flourish (that doesn't cost money out of the federal gov'ts pocket.)
Re: Guys, What Happened To Tinapa! by KnowAll(m): 11:45am On Dec 12, 2010
STHow is the project being held back by the federal gov't, specifically? Like, name X Y and Z that the fed gov't should do to make the project flourish (that doesn't cost money out of the federal gov'ts pocket.)

Tinapa is held back by the stake holders who should be pulling in the same direction, instead they are pulling away from each other. The stake-holders are the FG, the State Goverment,  and the private sector investors.  I see no significant benefit why Cross River State is voting PDP or the Goverment at the centre. What has that loyalty given CRS, CRS should re-negotiate their future with their votes,  just like how the SE did recently with Jonathan.(althogh the jury is still out on that) The SE seems to have gotten some sweetners from the FG. ( alas the recent un-banning of some items that were banned and the Enugu International Airport)

The place is not making money now because it has been left to rot, they need to boost the place up, how do u boost it up, Rent - Free for 2 years , all import duties shold be suspended on certain items for 2 years, the Coastal Road and the East - West road projects should be priority projects that should be completed and the port in Calabar would be the prime port for all transactinal dealings with regards to Tinanpa.

If these policies can be put in place, the place would be a bee-hive of activities within 6 months. The place needs some adranelin jabs to get going. If I can buy a designer wear cheaper in Calabar than in the USA, Dubai, and Europe or SA why go to those places. In fact diasporas would be coming on a shopping trip to Nigeria instead of vice-versa. If the FG deem it fit and right to spend 25% of our common-wealth on some beer guzzling lawmakers in Abuja who are contributing zilch to the economy why not spend in an enterprise that would grow and mushroom into an industry which would employ millions of Nigerians, it is high time the FG gets its acts together and play their part in these worthy cause. Donald Duke has done well by putting the infrastrutures in place.

The buck is on Jonathan's lap. 
[b][/b]
Re: Guys, What Happened To Tinapa! by DapoBear(m): 11:57am On Dec 12, 2010
I still don't get it.

I mean, here is your list of ideas:
[list]
[*] Rent - Free for 2 years
[*] all import duties shold be suspended on certain items for 2 years
[*] the Coastal Road and the East - West road projects should be priority projects that should be completed
[/list]

The latter two items seem to be heavily dependent on the federal government. I don't think it makes sense to commission huge state projects that require things beyond your control to work out well.

Like, when Donald Duke began Tinapa, was he assuming no import duties, and that those two roads would be finished?

It seems a bit shortsighted to start a project that requires other things to be done (suspended duties, those roads) without first guaranteeing that the roads will be completed.
Re: Guys, What Happened To Tinapa! by KnowAll(m): 12:23pm On Dec 12, 2010
The latter two items seem to be heavily dependent on the federal government. I don't think it makes sense to commission huge state projects that require things beyond your control to work out well.

Like, when Donald Duke began Tinapa, was he assuming no import duties, and that those two roads would be finished?

It seems a bit shortsighted to start a project that requires other things to be done (suspended duties, those roads) without first guaranteeing that the roads will be completed.

Rent Free - because ask yourself what rent are they getting from that ghost shopping mall at the moment. 

State Goverments should learn fron the Duke's experience they should not support the centre govetment for getting back NOTING in return, since we have the benefit of hindsight now, one does not have to dig deep to know Duke did not carry the FG along when he unilaterally embark on such a gigantic project. Now we are stuck with an  almost white-elephant project in our hands, it is up to the stake-holders to safe it from extinction, otherwise come 2011 CRS goes ACN or any other party what is the point voting for the centre party who are against your progress
[b][/b].  undecided
Re: Guys, What Happened To Tinapa! by violent(m): 12:31pm On Dec 12, 2010
The place is not making money now because it has been left to rot, they need to boost the place up, how do u boost it up, Rent - Free for 2 years , all import duties shold be suspended on certain items for 2 years, the Coastal Road and the East - West road projects should be priority projects that should be completed and the port in Calabar would be the prime port for all transactinal dealings with regards to Tinanpa.

If i owned Tinapa, i wouldn't give it out free of rent for 2 years, why should i? it doesn't make a good business model, the cost of management has to be on someone's balance sheet. Your assumption here is that people aren't occupying those shops because they are expensive, however, this might just be far from reality.

Their are far less attractive shops that probably charge far more than Tinapa does, the secret has always and will always be location, accessibility,  relevance and aggressive marketing. {none of which Tinappa has}  

Besides that, you can't suspend import duties without resulting to trade deficits, which will eventually harm local industries, suspending import duties will only see activities increase at the port, it doesn't necessarily guarantee the success of Tinapa.

A well structured transport system and assured security are fundamentals that must be addressed to improve business at Tinapa. Foreign tourist don't see Tinapa as a stand-alone entity, the see and judge Tinapa based on security reports on "Nigeria". . . Torusits from other state as well can't be bothered to drive long distance to the place, they will rather hang out in local pubs with friends, that leaves Tinapa with local residents, with a population of 1.2 million, half of which can't be bothered to even know what Tinapa stands for.
Re: Guys, What Happened To Tinapa! by Bawss1(m): 12:36pm On Dec 12, 2010
Tinapa is still government run by many accounts so how do you expect it to thrive. We all need to look at how government run organizations are faring then we can understand Tinapa's plight. I think it was a good idea at the beginning, what should have been be done was to let the place be run wholly by a private organisation then things might have been better.
Re: Guys, What Happened To Tinapa! by sochan: 12:44pm On Dec 12, 2010
The biggest problem Tinapa had right from conception is location. especially when transportation in Nigeria is terrible. Massive projects like this need to be located near very vibrant economic cities.

It would have worked best if it had been divided into to parts. 1:Tourism, 2:Trade.

Calabar already has a reputation as a tourist destination, they should have kept it so, probaly expand the obudu cattle ranch project.

Lagos already have a very vibrant trade and reputation, probably situating the trade element on the outskirst would have proven to be quite popolar, like the lekki trade-free zone might end up being.
Re: Guys, What Happened To Tinapa! by KnowAll(m): 12:46pm On Dec 12, 2010
If i owned Tinapa, i wouldn't give it out free of rent for 2 years, why should i?  Your assumption here is that people aren't occupying those shops because they are expensive, however, this might just be far from the truth.

Their are far less attractive shops that probably charge far more than Tinapa does, the secret has always and will always be location, accessibility  and relevance.  

Human beings love a bargain they would climb mountains and cross rives to get their hands on a bargain, but  from feelers that I am getting from some people who enquired about opening a shop in Tinapa, the rent is not only extorsionist in nature it is a hindrance and a very un-welcome hindrance especially when u are pushing for growth in a depressed and a difficult terraine like CRS.

The road network in Nigeria does not do any favours to the place, hence other sweetners to attract speculators and investors. If it gets going the sweetners would be withdrawn, the incentives of suspending  import duties is similar to the Western Sweetner of tax allowances for 2 years to new busineses.

The East-West road is also on the cards so is the costal road, the minister for transport only retirated this point a few days ago,  VP Namadi Sambo whilst endoesing Amechi repeated the same thing over this weekend. So the future looks good for Tinapa with the right policies put in place
Re: Guys, What Happened To Tinapa! by violent(m): 12:55pm On Dec 12, 2010
Here's what i will do if i owned Tinapa:-

Come up with an annual event and develop aggressive marketing strategies for the event.

I'd call it Tinapa summer Time. where Africans can spend their summer holidays with Nollywood celebrities in a world of beautiful splendor. . I'd tag it Africa's biggest annual event, and of course, subsidies will be provided to all those who booked their flight ticket before a certain date. . .

"Celebrities like D'banj, Omotola, Genevive, etc etc will be there all week, water fountains, finest swimming pools, plush restaurants and an amazing culture in nature, time to get away from your work fellas, you don't want to miss the biggest holiday event ever!". . . .

then stand back and watch as folks grabbed their flight tickets to Tinapa like hot dodo!

1 Like

Re: Guys, What Happened To Tinapa! by SapeleGuy: 1:04pm On Dec 12, 2010
Progress on Tinapa was stalled due to the federal governments refusal or delay in signing its own procedures. It took them 5 years to do this. These were signed earlier this year and the project is now blossoming.

Nigeria loses N217 billion annually to Dubai, instead of all these long stories and theories, patriots would simply step up to the plate and make it happen.

Sochan-why must everything be in Lagos? I take it you must be in support of the continued closure / underutilisation of the ports in Koko, Warri, PH, Sapele, Calabar because they are not near vibrant cities like Lagos.
Re: Guys, What Happened To Tinapa! by violent(m): 1:05pm On Dec 12, 2010

Human beings love a bargain they would climb mountains and cross rives to get their hands on a bargain

erhmm, I disagree with this.

Actually, traders and retailers would rather move to a more expensive area with a large flow of human traffic than to a cheaper area with almost zero human presence.

That's why folks don't mind paying over 500,000 for a small shop in computer village in Lagos when they can easily hire a whole factory with the same amount in some other remote place.

So focus first on increasing human traffic in a location, the shops, no matter how expensive will be taken up in no time
Re: Guys, What Happened To Tinapa! by sochan: 1:05pm On Dec 12, 2010
@Violent,

I get your strategy, but that only makes Tinapa a seasonal success. We need to understand that we cannot under estimate the lack of proper tansport links to Calabar, and besides you need to have a local enough vibrant ecomony that can sustain Tinapa all year round.

If Tinapa was located even 100km from Lagos it would have been a different story
Re: Guys, What Happened To Tinapa! by SapeleGuy: 1:10pm On Dec 12, 2010
Knowall, the quid pro quo bargaining that you talk about is simply absent from the thinking of our clueless leaders, they will always sell out for a few $$$$ more.
Re: Guys, What Happened To Tinapa! by violent(m): 1:11pm On Dec 12, 2010
I get your strategy, but that only makes Tinapa a seasonal success.

No it doesn't, it instead promotes its presence as a tourism resort and a trade center.  Chances are, more people will be drawn to spend time at Tinapa, not withstanding the time of the year it is.

Besides that, the Tinapa Summer Time will be an event to look forward to, families will save up for that time of the year, and Calabar's economy will rake in billions in trade.
Re: Guys, What Happened To Tinapa! by sochan: 1:13pm On Dec 12, 2010
@Sapeleguy,

no no no, very far from it. i am from warri and grew up there. Infact, I remember when the port in warri was extended, with all th excitement and hope, but my point is,

We already have very vibrant trade cities, long established with very successful models. Why change it? Why not maximise the potentials of these places, instead of creating new ones that may not necessarily work.

look at Lagos, onitsha, Aba. these are the trade centres of Nigeria, they already have a west african appeal. Why not build around this success.

Calabar on the other hand has a wwell established tourism culture, why not build on it. obudu is a successful brand, expand it, but probaly stick Palms shopping complex size attraction there, nothing bigger.

The focus has to be right
Re: Guys, What Happened To Tinapa! by sochan: 1:17pm On Dec 12, 2010
@Violent,

I doubt it will, but I dont mind being proved wrong. but saying that this is the same Lagos /Abuja scenario. Why has Abuja not become the commercial success that most hoped it would?
Re: Guys, What Happened To Tinapa! by SapeleGuy: 1:26pm On Dec 12, 2010
sochan:

@Sapeleguy,

no no no, very far from it. i am from warri and grew up there. Infact, I remember when the port in warri was extended, with all th excitement and hope, but my point is,

We already have very vibrant trade cities, long established with very successful models. Why change it? Why not maximise the potentials of these places, instead of creating new ones that may not necessarily work.

look at Lagos, onitsha, Aba. these are the trade centres of Nigeria, they already have a west african appeal. Why not build around this success.

Calabar on the other hand has a wwell established tourism culture, why not build on it. obudu is a successful brand, expand it, but probaly stick Palms shopping complex size attraction there, nothing bigger.

The focus has to be right

Tinapa is a visionary project that recognises that shopping and trade are an integral part of the tourist experience (shop, sight seeing & relax).  

It is for the states you mentioned to regenerate their cities and create jobs for their people. Duke has set a very high bar and he should be commended for this.
Re: Guys, What Happened To Tinapa! by KnowAll(m): 1:36pm On Dec 12, 2010
PRESIDENT Goodluck Jonathan and Vice President Namadi Sambo have publicly endorsed the intention of Governor Rotimi Amaechi of Rivers State to run for office a second time.

The president was in Rivers State on Saturday to inspect the ongoing execution of the second phase of Afam Power Station as well as attend a grand reception organised by the Ogbakor Ikwerre Cultural Organisation in honour of Amaechi for his achievements in office in the last three years.

Speaking at the venue of the reception, Jonathan who was represented by Sambo announced the decision of the two leaders to support Amaechi’s quest for a second tenure.

According to Jonathan, the decision to support the Rivers governor was based on his outstanding performance in office which he observed had made Ikwerre, his ethnic group and the entire people of the state proud. Sambo said: “On behalf of President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, I congratulate the people of Ikwere for bearing a son whom everybody is proud of. I thank Ikwerre for their endorsement for him to run.

“Run and run. As far as we are concerned, we have endorsed you,” the Vice President declared.

Sambo noted the numerous projects the Amaechi administration had implemented in the state and pledged additional federal government’s support for his government.

He pointed out that the federal government was determined to ameliorate the hardship of the people in the South­South and Nigeria in general, saying that work was progressing on the East-West highway while contract for the N1.5billion Coastal Road would soon be awarded.

Similarly, he said consultants were working on a new rail line to link Lagos and Calabar just as a new gas pipeline would be built across Rivers State to Lagos and another one to the north.
[b][/b]Sambo observed that the present federal administration was led by people within the age bracket of 50, noting in particular that Jonathan and himself were well educated as a scientist and an architect who would continue to redesign the country.

He urged the people of the state to continue to support the administration.

In his remarks at the occasion, Amaechi challenged his political opponents to a popularity contest with him over the coming gubernatorial election in the state.

“Let them use this opportunity to test their popularity. Those who said my name was not on the ballot can now come and let’s see who wins the next election,” he boasted even as he conceded that it was only God who would determine the winner of the 2011 governorship in the state.
Re: Guys, What Happened To Tinapa! by sochan: 1:38pm On Dec 12, 2010
Viablility is always part of due deligence. When having visionary thoughts, practicallity has to play a key role lest ones vision fails.

Like I said I really do hope i am wrong on this one, but i saw this coming well beofe the project even kicked off, and had heated arguments with people.
Re: Guys, What Happened To Tinapa! by nduchucks: 4:29pm On Dec 12, 2010
Curious people are urged to read the following article by CROSS RIVER STATE ANTI-CORRUPTION NETWORK and them reach their own conclusions.

http://nigerian-newspaper.com/governor-donald-duke.htm

Excerp

For the avoidance of doubt, the following specific issues are hereby being submitted to the EFFC, for further consideration. It is hoped that these issues will lead the EFCC to a better understanding of the affairs of Cross River State, in order that they could also reach a valid conclusions about the operations of the government and the Governor.

a) The deduction of N360,000,000.00 from local government allocations in the pretext of purchasing the cable
    car at the Obudu Ranch Resort.

b) The monthly payment of N18,000,000.00 to the Governor’s wife, Mrs. Onari Duke through her NGO called
    Enterprise Nigeria Foundation with Head office at Plot 15E, Flat 2, Muri Okunola Street, P. O. Box 71003,
    Victoria Island, Lagos, Nigeria; and operational office at Suit C9, Amin Building, Calabar Free Trade Zone –CTZ,
    Calabar. For the month of November 2005, this amount was paid vide Cheque No: 00000714 of Guaranty
    Trust Bank – GTB, Calabar, dated 06-01-2006.

c) The monthly deductions of N42,968,036.53 meant for the poor communities and people of Cross River State
    from the local government joint account as equity participation of Councils in the Tinapa project.

d) The arbitrary deduction of N62,812,531.51 from the local government joint account as loan repayment for
    the Tinapa project for the month of September 2005, vide Guaranty Trust Bank GTB.

e) The inexplicable deduction of N50, 810,121.76 from the local government joint account vied Guarantee
    Trust Bank – GTB in favour of Citizens International Bank.

f) The unauthorized deduction of N62,575,342.40 as Tinapa loan repayment for the month of August, 2005,
   vide Guaranty Trust Bank.

g) The unauthorized deduction of N50,810,121.76 at source from the LGA joint account as loan repayment
    for the month of July 2005, vide Guaranty Trust Bank.

h) The unauthorized deduction of N50,810,121.76 from the local government joint account (meant for the
    poor rural and forest dependent communities) as loan repayment for Tinapa for the month of July 2005,
    vied GTB in favour of Citizens International Bank Plc for August 2005.

i) The unauthorized deduction of N63,505,013.70 at source from the LGA joint account as loan repayment
   for Tinapa for the month of July 2005, vide Guaranty Trust Bank;

j) The unauthorized deduction of N143, 267,132.29 from the local government allocations vide Guaranty Trust
   Bank in favour of Citizens International Bank Plc for the months of June and July.

k) The unauthorized deduction of N70,028,538.81 from the local government joint account vide Guaranty
   Trust Bank in favour of Citizens International Bank Plc for the month of August 2005.

l) The unauthorized deduction of N61,279,178.08 from the local government joint account as loan repayment
   for Tinapa vide Guaranty Trust Bank Plc.

more

Privatization
Records from the Cross River Privatization Council show that between 2002 and 2006 the following public properties have been sold arbitrarily:

1 CREL Plc 500,000,000.00
2 Niger Mills Plc 300,000,000.00
3 Calvenply 70,000,000.00
4 Biakpan Rubber Estate 40,000,000.00
5 Equity Guest House 30,000,000.00
6 Oban Rubber Estate 50,000,000.00
7 Cross Lines Limited 11,800,000.00
8 Cross Lines (Real Estates Quarters) 15,000,000.00
9 Equity Gas Plant 9,100,000.00
10 Equity Guest House 30,000,000.00
11 Metropolitan Hotel, Calabar 200,000,000.00
12 Metropolitan Hotel, Ikom 23,100,000.00
13 Kwafalls Palm Oil Estate 12,000,000.00
Grand Total N1,291,000,000.00

In addition to the above, the following public properties have also been sold without any trace of the funds being paid to the state treasury as a result of the sales:
a) The Calabar Cement Company Ltd, CALCEMCO
b) The Cross River State Newspaper Co-operation
c) The Government Printing Press
d) The Cross River Liaison office in Lagos
e) The Cross River State property at No.3, Military Street, near Tafawa Balewa Square, Lagos
f) Numerous residential buildings and vast area of lands designated for building purposes owned by the Cross River State government have been sold to fronts of Mr. Donald Duke

PRAYER
Our prayer therefore is as follows:

1. That the EFCC should compel the Cross River State Governor to open his financial records for investigation
    as an urgent matter of public interest.
2. That the 18 local government council chairmen in Cross River State should as well be compelled to open
    their financial records for appropriate investigations.
3. That in the cause of carrying out the investigations, the civil society, public servants and civil servants as
    well should be requested to forward useful memoranda to aid the process.
4. That only such procedure can help the EFCC to investigate and present an unbiased position on Governor
    Donald Duke.

Finally, governments serve the broad public good, and the EFCC is established primarily to investigate, expose and restrain fraudulent governments from engaging in any matters that are detrimental to public trust. The EFCC should respond to their moral and constituted responsibility to ensure prudent management of local government finances and indeed public finances belonging to the poor rural people of Cross River State of Nigeria. Based on the available facts highlighted herein above, It is fervently hoped that the EFCC would respond to this matter of the Governor of Cross River State regarding the transparency and morality of his operations in the disbursement of public funds in order that the public will be in a position to adjudge Mr. Donald Duke SAINT OR SINNER.

Duk, Barawo banza!!
Re: Guys, What Happened To Tinapa! by Nobody: 6:09pm On Dec 12, 2010
Blazay said:

I intend to do absolutely nothing.
Not till the Nigerian government bridges that gap between the so called thieving rich and the poor, will such projects mean Jack or Jill to people like myself,

Please. . .I would rather fight for visa to Togo or Ghana where my life is safe from Nigerian police men and the secluded 'come get me i am a rich man' Tinapa resort.

I have children to think about sir.

Happy jollification. . . my life ain't that cheap.

Give me Las Vegas anyday

Oh fuuk off. Who cares about a failure like you? Hopeless shiithead. Go enjoy second class citizenship in Las Vegas, idiott slave. You're probably dumb enough to not know people get shot there every day, unlike Obudu Cattle Ranch. Peabrain slave.
Re: Guys, What Happened To Tinapa! by kcjazz(m): 8:00pm On Dec 12, 2010
I feel Tinapa is a big project that should have being built in strategic phases. With the debt burden on Cross River state, I think the problem now is a marketing problem. I don't believe it has a location problem, rather the location is its uniqueness and appeal.

Few solutions?
Work with the Museum commission to create specialized Museums. Like a slavery museum, modern war/Biafra museum, a large aquarium, Art or Nollywood Museum since they have studios. I wouldn't travel from Lagos if I can find the same experience where I am. They could run this seasonally.
The Nollywood studio, if equipped should be used for a movie.
Engage transport companies, have a plan to transport people coming to Tinapa from any where.
The Calabar carnival needs more publicity. Host interesting events.
Align the project to a cause like feeding hungry kids or cancer awareness.
etc
Like every iconic projects like even the National Theater, our level of managing them is poor.
Re: Guys, What Happened To Tinapa! by DapoBear(m): 8:44pm On Dec 12, 2010
SapeleGuy:

Sochan-why must everything be in Lagos? I take it you must be in support of the continued closure / underutilisation of the ports in Koko, Warri, PH, Sapele, Calabar because they are not near vibrant cities like Lagos.

What does this mean? What goods can one ship to Lagos but not ship to those ports you mention? Which of them are closed, which ones are underutilized, and in what way are they underutilized?

Finally, doesn't it seem that before building Tinapa, you should ensure that things necessary to support it like the Calabar port and East-West road are progressing?

I mean, look at the way Lagos State is managing their Lekki FTZ. They are expanding the road at the same time they are working on the FTZ. It would have been foolish to do the FTZ before expanding the road, no?
Re: Guys, What Happened To Tinapa! by sochan: 8:52pm On Dec 12, 2010
@Dapobear,

Well said. the Tinapa project was not well though through. Simple and short. You build a massive project like that without ensuring that the necessary infrastructure are in place.

Lets just watch how the lekki trade free zone will take off
Re: Guys, What Happened To Tinapa! by celemel(m): 9:36pm On Dec 12, 2010
I've taken time to read through this entire thread. Sadly, so many people don't seem to understand what made Tinapa moribund. I'll attempt to explain the many factors here.
Tinapa was concieved as a PPP initiative, primarily funded by a consortium of banks with loans that were to be repaid after some period of time. Funding came from organizations, such as Ecowas bank, Togo, UBA, First bank, CRSG, etc. By design, it was suppoed to be a free-trade-zone, such that every item of trade was to attract zero import duty.

The branding was perfect, marketing was cool and a lot of money went into building the image of the resort. Multinational organizations, such as Shoprite, Flamingo Stores, Clear Essesnce, Vlisco, Woodin, etc were thrilled by the hype that sorrounded the project to come over and rent spaces, and fully pay for same for two years in advance. I was personally involved in setting up IT backbone for most of these organizations. Unfortunately, the Nigerian factor set in. Obasanjo withheld his accent to the proclamation that was to grant full free-trade-zone status to the project. Most of the organizations that paid for space found it difficult to stock up. Those who tried, were forcibly shut down by the Nigerian Custom Service under the pretext that there was no gazetted documentation, excluding Tinapa from paying duties.

This standoff dragged on for years. Most of the rent paid ran out. The organizations ran huge bills, incurred heavy loses and parked out of the resort. Those who kept their staff in hotels had to scamper to transfer such staff back home. The management couldn't muster enough resources to keep the hugely expensive TV jingles on the air. Tinapa gradually turned to a ghost town , and the fun died. By the time Umaru Yaradua signed the gazette, Tinapa and all the euphoria sorrounding it had completely kaput. That is the story of our dear Tinapa. The blame rests with Uncle Shegge who never intended the project to succeed. The stupid fear was, if Tinapa gets the anticipated patronage it was sure to get, the so-called commercial capital - Lagos, especially the ports would have been threatened. It was purely a matter of the Yoruba hegemony! yet, there was nothing to show that Tinapa would have threatened anybody, let alone, any business interest in Nigeria.
Re: Guys, What Happened To Tinapa! by SapeleGuy: 9:44pm On Dec 12, 2010
DapoBear:

What does this mean? What goods can one ship to Lagos but not ship to those ports you mention? Which of them are closed, which ones are underutilized, and in what way are they underutilized?

You are obviously not familiar with the ports in Nigeria. I think you would do well to do some research on this issue and perhaps you may have posted differently.

DapoBear:

Finally, doesn't it seem that before building Tinapa, you should ensure that things necessary to support it like the Calabar port and East-West road are progressing?

So you expected them to build a 650 kilometre road and the longest bridge in Nigeria before they started the project.  You people criticize any how. East West Road links Delta, Akwa Ibom, Rivers and Bayelsa state. The road is the responsibility of the federal government.

Calabar port has always been ready for action, you will have to ask the FG & NPA why only Lagos port is favoured.
Re: Guys, What Happened To Tinapa! by DapoBear(m): 10:06pm On Dec 12, 2010
SapeleGuy:

You are obviously not familiar with the ports in Nigeria. I think you would do well to do some research on this issue and perhaps you may have posted differently.
Indeed, I am not. Since you are quite familiar with it, perhaps you can summarize the main differences between the status of the different ports, and thus not only save me time, but many others here reading.

So you expected them to build a 650 kilometre road and the longest bridge in Nigeria before they started the project.  You people criticize any how. East West Road links Delta, Akwa Ibom, Rivers and Bayelsa state. The road is the responsibility of the federal government.
The gov't of Nigeria doesn't do anything right. It is like having an undependable friend. If you have a flight to catch at 5pm and you are relying on your undependable friend to pick up up and drive you to the airport, don't be surprised if you miss your flight.

If you want to get something done in Nigeria, you have to do it yourself. This is true for all states, really.

Calabar port has always been ready for action, you will have to ask the FG & NPA why only Lagos port is favoured.
Now, explain very specifically how Calabar port is being discriminated again.
Re: Guys, What Happened To Tinapa! by jason12345: 10:51pm On Dec 12, 2010
celemel:

I've taken time to read through this entire thread.  Sadly, so many people don't seem to understand what made Tinapa moribund.  I'll attempt to explain the many factors here. 
Tinapa was concieved as a PPP initiative, primarily funded by a consortium of banks with loans that were to be repaid after some period of time.  Funding came from organizations, such as Ecowas bank, Togo, UBA, First bank, CRSG, etc.  By design, it was suppoed to be a free-trade-zone, such that every item of trade was to attract zero import duty.

The branding was perfect, marketing was cool and a lot of money went into building the image of the resort.  Multinational organizations, such as Shoprite, Flamingo Stores, Clear Essesnce, Vlisco, Woodin, etc were thrilled by the hype that sorrounded the project to come over and rent spaces, and fully pay for same for two years in advance.  I was personally involved in setting up IT backbone for most of these organizations.  Unfortunately, the Nigerian factor set in.  Obasanjo withheld his accent to the proclamation that was to grant full free-trade-zone status to the project.  Most of the organizations that paid for space found it difficult to stock up.  T[b]hose who tried, were forcibly shut down by the Nigerian Custom Service under the pretext that there was no gazetted documentation, excluding Tinapa from paying duties[/b]. 

This standoff dragged on for years.  Most of the rent paid ran out.  The organizations ran huge bills, incurred heavy loses and parked out of the resort. Those who kept their staff in hotels had to scamper to transfer such staff back home.  The management couldn't muster enough resources to keep the hugely expensive TV jingles on the air.  Tinapa gradually turned to a ghost town , and the fun died.  By the time Umaru Yaradua signed the gazette, Tinapa and all the euphoria sorrounding it had completely kaput.  That is the story of our dear Tinapa.  The blame rests with Uncle Shegge who never intended the project to succeed.  The silly fear was, if Tinapa gets the anticipated patronage it was sure to get, the so-called commercial capital - Lagos, especially the ports would have been threatened.  It was purely a matter of the Yoruba hegemony! yet, there was nothing to show that Tinapa would have threatened anybody, let alone, any business interest in Nigeria.

thanks for the info but i think you added a bit of paranoia, don't you think? according to what you said, it means tinapa was funded mostly by the private sector and a bit of state government input so it has nothing to do with yaradua or obj. the federal government could have little or no influence on the project. if the custom had a duty, then they should do it without the fear of people. what i mean by this is, if the companies had no document that exempted them from paying duties then they should pay. what do you think? may be i do not understand what is actually going on undecided
Re: Guys, What Happened To Tinapa! by violent(m): 11:02pm On Dec 12, 2010
celemel:

I've taken time to read through this entire thread.  Sadly, so many people don't seem to understand what made Tinapa moribund.  I'll attempt to explain the many factors here. 
Tinapa was concieved as a PPP initiative, primarily funded by a consortium of banks with loans that were to be repaid after some period of time.  Funding came from organizations, such as Ecowas bank, Togo, UBA, First bank, CRSG, etc.  By design, it was suppoed to be a free-trade-zone, such that every item of trade was to attract zero import duty.

The branding was perfect, marketing was cool and a lot of money went into building the image of the resort.  Multinational organizations, such as Shoprite, Flamingo Stores, Clear Essesnce, Vlisco, Woodin, etc were thrilled by the hype that sorrounded the project to come over and rent spaces, and fully pay for same for two years in advance.  I was personally involved in setting up IT backbone for most of these organizations.  Unfortunately, the Nigerian factor set in.  Obasanjo withheld his accent to the proclamation that was to grant full free-trade-zone status to the project.  Most of the organizations that paid for space found it difficult to stock up.  Those who tried, were forcibly shut down by the Nigerian Custom Service under the pretext that there was no gazetted documentation, excluding Tinapa from paying duties. 

This standoff dragged on for years.  Most of the rent paid ran out.  The organizations ran huge bills, incurred heavy loses and parked out of the resort. Those who kept their staff in hotels had to scamper to transfer such staff back home.  The management couldn't muster enough resources to keep the hugely expensive TV jingles on the air.  Tinapa gradually turned to a ghost town , and the fun died.  By the time Umaru Yaradua signed the gazette, Tinapa and all the euphoria sorrounding it had completely kaput.  That is the story of our dear Tinapa.  The blame rests with Uncle Shegge who never intended the project to succeed.  The silly fear was, if Tinapa gets the anticipated patronage it was sure to get, the so-called commercial capital - Lagos, especially the ports would have been threatened.  It was purely a matter of the Yoruba hegemony! yet, there was nothing to show that Tinapa would have threatened anybody, let alone, any business interest in Nigeria.

This is quite explanatory, but what i cant seem to get my head around is the fact that organizations involved went on to build a trade resort without necessary documents that will eventually grant the business a "free trade zone" status. . .that to me is putting the cart before the horse!

Clearly, there weren't appropriate feasibility analysis before the project commenced, a sound business minded person considers all sorts of risks including political risks, and then does his best to mitigate against such risk before throwing cash into projects.

Besides, I think you are grossly mistaken on certain issues, Tinappa Business Resort was set to operate within a free trade zone which is the Tinapa Free zone and resort, which is just adjacent to the Calabar free trade zone {Nigeria's premier free trade zone}----- How can it then be that the failure of Tinapa business resort is a matter of "Yoruba hegemony" when Calabar boasted of the first free trade zone in the country and states like Lagos and Ogun had none?
Re: Guys, What Happened To Tinapa! by Abagworo(m): 11:40pm On Dec 12, 2010
Calabar as a city is the 2nd most beautiful city in Nigeria after Abuja.It has a lagoon like Lagos and was once the capital of Nigeria like Lagos.The bane of Calabar's viability is rooted in deliberate marginalisation by successive Nigerian governments till date.Anyone into importation can easily tell you that FG refused the usage of Calabar ports for the importation of almost all but few goods into the country.There is no concrete reason given for this.Even tank farms in PortHarcourt and Calabar lay fallow throughout OBJ's regime until they were allowed to import under GEJ.That is just the simple reason the ports are not working.Government should allow all ports to be used equally.You can't say all textiles,cars,heavy equipments,chemicals and agricultural products must be imported through Lagos and expect the others to thrive.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Un Approves 10 Biafran Delegates To Attend The Un Conference In Feb. 2017 / #endsars: Video Of ‘juju’ Men Being Shot At, Bullets Falling Off During Protest. / How Lack Of Judicial Autonomy Affects You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.