Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,690 members, 7,820,403 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:18 PM

How Do You Cope With Envy? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Cope With Envy? (6978 Views)

Ladies, How Do You Cope With Insensitive Husbands? / I Can’t Cope With His Big Manhood- Wife Tells Court / Bearded Ladies, How Do You Cope? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Cope With Envy? by yulad(m): 2:19am On Dec 16, 2010
We have never been on good terms. But she cld b seductive sometimes, esp when my guard's down. grin grin
Re: How Do You Cope With Envy? by Jarring: 6:05am On Dec 16, 2010
just do your own and keep quiet grin
Re: How Do You Cope With Envy? by AjanleKoko: 10:37am On Dec 16, 2010
How is it that Nigerians are always talking about envy, 'my detractors', 'haters', my enemies', and so on?
You ask a politician why he's not performing, he'll blame his detractors. Even David Mark recently in his flag-off speech for his campaign for another 4-year term of looting, urged us not to listen to what his 'enemies' are saying, but look instead at his 'achievements'. We just can't help but throw some props in the way of 'enemies'. We are really pumped up with ego, aren't we? I guess that's why most other Africans can't stand us.

Even people that haven't really achieved more than a decent job and a means of income are already talking about haters and envious ones. I make bold to say I don't have any enemies. I might have competitors and rivals, but no enemies. So I don't even give that thought the time of day. I celebrate when I succeed, and blame myself when I fail. If someone throws a critical word my way, I mull over it, and try to make sense of it, rather than quickly dismissing such people as 'enemies'.

Whether you like it or not, it is a fact of life that your behaviour might upset some people. Probably it is Westernization that is teaching us this new gospel of insensitivity - it's your life, your money, so do whatever, and whoever doesn't like it can eat poo. Life doesn't work that way, and we should be considerate of how we make others feel, rather than dismissing people who can't stand us as 'haters'. It's a new maturity that black people prolly need to learn.
Re: How Do You Cope With Envy? by emb(m): 12:23pm On Dec 16, 2010
I can't even think clearly,even if i pretend 2 i just can't cope![color=#550000][/color] undecided
Re: How Do You Cope With Envy? by Ranoscky(m): 4:08pm On Dec 16, 2010
Cope with envy ke? undecided. . .I no get time to envy O! If I envy anybody, I can never get whatever I envy on that person. All I do is stay focus and admire, cos, I always get whatever I admire.
Re: How Do You Cope With Envy? by tboy1(m): 4:46pm On Dec 16, 2010
Ranoscky:

Cope with envy ke? undecided. . .I no get time to envy O! If I envy anybody, I can never get whatever I envy on that person. All I do is stay focus and admire, cos, I always get whatever I admire.

Did you read the topic?
Re: How Do You Cope With Envy? by tpia1: 6:37pm On Dec 16, 2010
You cannot stop people from being envious but you can control how you present yourself before envious people especially friends.

You need to wear the traits of humility, kindness, etc and don't make it appear that you take pride in the things you have (which itself is a vice). I may drive an expensive car but if I know someone is envious, I would encourage him/her by saying things like, "i know that this car will be too small for you when you buy someday".

I must not slap anything in his/her face that would fuel/feed their envy, These are my thots

good post, but the fact is no matter what you do, envious people will continue to envy.

you can postpone the envy so to speak, with the methods you outlined brilliantly here, but there are people in this world to whom even your existence is a source of bitterness to them.

the ones who will pull up stories from lord knows when, in an attempt to justify their sadism.

in any event, sometimes its only prayer that can soothe the savage soul.
Re: How Do You Cope With Envy? by AjanleKoko: 7:31pm On Dec 16, 2010
Apparently envy seems to be a major problem for black people in particular.
Re: How Do You Cope With Envy? by unipol(m): 7:37pm On Dec 16, 2010
everybody is not envious. there are people who are naturally envious about everything in life.
These people who are envy are people from very poor family background. who lacked  chances of feeling good. they are always hot by their condition,history and background. so they want to revenge by envying. somebody whose father was a jeep owner cannot envy a new car owner, no matter the class of the car.

the most envious people in europe are those who came by land, and the few who came here by oppurtunity.
Re: How Do You Cope With Envy? by Sagamite(m): 7:38pm On Dec 16, 2010
If you want to envy, I will ensure you have your fill.
Re: How Do You Cope With Envy? by tpia1: 7:40pm On Dec 16, 2010
unipol:

everybody is not envious. there are people who are naturally envious about everything in life.
These people who are envy are people from very poor family background. who lacked chances of feeling good. they are always hot by their condition,history and background. so they want to revenge by envying. somebody whose father was a jeep owner cannot envy a new car owner, no matter the class of the car.

the most envious people in europe are those who came by land, and the few who came here by oppurtunity.

people from rich backgrounds also envy as much as the poor ones.
Re: How Do You Cope With Envy? by unipol(m): 8:22pm On Dec 16, 2010
tpia1:

people from rich backgrounds also envy as much as the poor ones.

if you are confortable and you envy, it is no longer called ENVY but GREEDYNESS
Re: How Do You Cope With Envy? by tpia1: 8:29pm On Dec 16, 2010
unipol:

if you are confortable and you envy, it is no longer called ENVY but GREEDYNESS

it's still envy if they're envious of another person's success, even though they're successful themselves.

happens more often than you think.
Re: How Do You Cope With Envy? by Ranoscky(m): 5:18am On Dec 17, 2010
tboy1:

Did you read the topic?
ya, I did.

I just felt like answerin it the other way round (cos I can't even imagine myself envyin someone else).

But seriously, their's nothin one can do to cope with envy rather than being him/her self in whatever way he/she could.
Re: How Do You Cope With Envy? by tboy1(m): 12:10pm On Dec 17, 2010
Ranoscky:

But seriously, their's nothin one can do to cope with envy rather than being him/her self in whatever way he/she could.

True . . . cool
Re: How Do You Cope With Envy? by lekanbar(m): 4:36pm On Dec 17, 2010
There are two things in involved in this issue, envy either pushes towards more success or false humility, the choice is yours

http://lekanbaruwa.
Re: How Do You Cope With Envy? by luvkia(m): 6:00pm On Dec 17, 2010
tanx 2 u all 4 all ur great contributions. My philosophy in life is that, everyone is capable of everything. Even though sometimes life treat us in a rather unfair manner, some will always leapfrog through it n fly in success. People with negative envy thoughts, instead of them asking how did this person did it, they ask why is it always this person?
Through ur contributions in summary, we should make such people our "frienemy".
Re: How Do You Cope With Envy? by wazobiang: 12:57pm On Dec 19, 2010
i carry it on my shoulder because it proves am making it
Re: How Do You Cope With Envy? by Nobody: 3:12pm On Dec 20, 2010
Cope by putting on cute smiles at times. wink
Re: How Do You Cope With Envy? by denny4ril: 9:56pm On Dec 20, 2010
as long as anyone has standards and goals, u re boud to be envied. lack of focus, laziness, lies and backbiting have all being common traits in people that has resulted in envy
Re: How Do You Cope With Envy? by invisible2(m): 10:26pm On Dec 20, 2010
Change my car, buy an old volks 1971 model and change the engine, they spray paint it and use.
Dump all my fine clothes and use only 3 pairs, one for work, one for church and one for house cloth.
Wear only one pair of shoe all year, deliberately forgeting to polish it.
Pack from my current house and rent a two room in a face me I face you compound with at least 100 other rooms.
Make sure people see me drinking garri with groundnuts every afternoon.
Try to borrow money from co tenants and coleagues in the office even if I have a pocket full.
Make sure I save about a hundred million naira, then I can suddenly change location and step up.lol.
Re: How Do You Cope With Envy? by Nobody: 3:06am On Mar 30, 2011
good question, @ op.

as the song goes

afi eni olorun ba ko yo o,

lo le s'ore araye

bo ba sako, won bu e, bo si sako, won bu e

bo ba lowo won bu e, bo si lowo, won bu e

bo ba kole , won bu e, bo si kole, won bu e

bo ba mowe, won bu e, bo si mowe, won bu e.

great song.
Re: How Do You Cope With Envy? by plappville(f): 9:42am On Mar 30, 2011
FROM Jarring:::::just do your own and keep quiet

Ur second name n'a sabi, i mean u ve said it well. GBAM, because some envious person can never give up, even when u try to encourage dem, they get more envious and tell u, it's because u are nt in My shoe so u wont know how i feel. Give them long rope and keep praying for them. As for me, if i notice some1 is envious of me, i dont ever give him/her My update to reduce thé envious rate.
Re: How Do You Cope With Envy? by horny4u(f): 9:44am On Mar 30, 2011
My mum once told me a story about how my grandpa would always read the newspaper or a book wheever they were been driven and he sat a the back of the car and going at a slow speed where people were, so she asked him why he did that and he said because if he looked up and about he didnot want people he probably will never meet again to feel he was looking down at them hence feel negative and send hime envious thots. That changed my outlook some what if I am with a friend who cannot afford a designer bag Its my duty not to rub mine in her face or even speak about it. Too far? Maybe but I now seem to have healthier relationships as again anyone can acquire any material thing but consideration for others in my opinion takes wisdom to acquire.
Re: How Do You Cope With Envy? by Nobody: 11:21am On Mar 30, 2011
AjanleKoko:

How is it that Nigerians are always talking about envy, 'my detractors', 'haters', my enemies', and so on?
You ask a politician why he's not performing, he'll blame his detractors. Even David Mark recently in his flag-off speech for his campaign for another 4-year term of looting, urged us not to listen to what his 'enemies' are saying, but look instead at his 'achievements'. We just can't help but throw some props in the way of 'enemies'. We are really pumped up with ego, aren't we? I guess that's why most other Africans can't stand us.

Even people that haven't really achieved more than a decent job and a means of income are already talking about haters and envious ones. I make bold to say I don't have any enemies. I might have competitors and rivals, but no enemies. So I don't even give that thought the time of day. I celebrate when I succeed, and blame myself when I fail. If someone throws a critical word my way, I mull over it, and try to make sense of it, rather than quickly dismissing such people as 'enemies'.

Whether you like it or not, it is a fact of life that your behaviour might upset some people. Probably it is Westernization that is teaching us this new gospel of insensitivity - it's your life, your money, so do whatever, and whoever doesn't like it can eat poo. Life doesn't work that way, and we should be considerate of how we make others feel, rather than dismissing people who can't stand us as 'haters'. It's a new maturity that black people prolly need to learn.

true talk just try to tell a friend who is moderately successful what he or she is doing is wtrong u become a hater or the envious person insome cases u are even more successful but still they feel u hating until they fall down flat before they appreciate what u hav been saying all along. Even our music reeks of bad belle people. na wa for us.
Re: How Do You Cope With Envy? by Nobody: 12:43pm On Mar 30, 2011
The really annoying issue is when you see someone on a wrong path and warn them they are headed towards self destruction, and they laugh at you, thinking they know better.

Then when their inevitable happens and they find themselves not where they thought they'd be, they now start hating on others who made wiser or different choices.

Check the path you`re on - because whatever you do has consequences.
Re: How Do You Cope With Envy? by Nobody: 12:44pm On Mar 30, 2011
But then i guess we all have to make our mistakes before we can gain wisdom.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help...i Am Finished!contemplating Abortion At Five Months / My Husband Wont Talk To Me / Distress Sale: 5 Bedroom Bungalow Apartment For Sale #6m(Negotiable)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.