Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,776 members, 7,820,715 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:05 PM

The Tourist (Angelina Jolie & Johnny Deep) Flops ! - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / The Tourist (Angelina Jolie & Johnny Deep) Flops ! (3164 Views)

Genevieve Nnaji To Act Movie With Angelina Jolie / Trailer For The Tourist By Angelina Jolie And Johnny Depp / Milla Jovovich Vs Angelina Jolie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Tourist (Angelina Jolie & Johnny Deep) Flops ! by kadman(m): 5:40pm On Dec 13, 2010
Depp and Jolie suffer box office failure

Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie have suffered their worst US box office performance in years.

The pair star in romantic thriller 'The Tourist', which sees Depp's everyday man becoming embroiled in a spy caper with Jolie's mysterious character.
However, film critics and audiences have been less than enthusiastic about the movie, which saw a disappointing opening weekend in the US, raking in just £10.8 million, landing it the number two spot behind the latest 'Narnia' film which also underachieved at the box office this weekend.
It marks the pair's worst film opening in the US for years. Jolie's critically acclaimed violent war thriller 'A Mighty Heart' failed to find mass-appeal in 2007 with £2.4 million, while Depp suffered a box office flop with Jack the Ripper thriller 'From Hell', earning £7m in 2001.

By comparison Robert Downey Jr.’s latest film 'Due Date' opened with £20.7m a few weeks ago, despite failing to please the critics either.
It’s a surprising flop for the A-list pair who would have expected their joint Hollywood power to earn them more film fans, but they shouldn’t worry just yet. Depp’s fantasy film 'Alice in Wonderland' was a huge hit earlier this year, while Jolie's recent thriller 'Salt' enjoyed decent numbers in the US.
'The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader' debuted at number one, while 'Tangled’ rounded out the US top three.
http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/13122010/5/depp-jolie-suffer-box-office-failure-0.html

REVIEWS

"In a year of craptaculars, The Tourist deserves burial at the bottom of the 2010 dung heap." - Rolling Stone

"It's actually rare for me to see a film that is such an utter failure on so many levels." - 7M Pictures

"Boring, bland and self indulgent Vanity piece for Angelina Jolie." - Eclipse Magazine

"One of the worst films I have seen in ages" - Heat Magazine

"My mother is going to love this movie." - UGO
Re: The Tourist (Angelina Jolie & Johnny Deep) Flops ! by ijawgirl: 6:37pm On Dec 13, 2010
I am so happy I didn't waste my 11 box
so not going to see it~ tongue
Re: The Tourist (Angelina Jolie & Johnny Deep) Flops ! by tpia1: 6:47pm On Dec 13, 2010
angelina does better in the action movie genre, imo.

cant access johnny depp's performance until i see the film.

hmm, i thought the movie would be like duplicity which was fairly ok, so to speak.

passable even if not perfect.
Re: The Tourist (Angelina Jolie & Johnny Deep) Flops ! by kadman(m): 6:55pm On Dec 13, 2010
tpia1:

hmm, i thought the movie would be like duplicity which was fairly ok, so to speak.

passable even if not perfect.

Yeah, the movie is probably passable, even though I won't watch it.

I don't like Deep and hate Jolie even more. . these reviews are like Christmas come early for me. grin
Re: The Tourist (Angelina Jolie & Johnny Deep) Flops ! by tpia1: 7:01pm On Dec 13, 2010
^^depp is amazing and very impressive if you catch him in the right movie.

charlie and the chocolate factory was no good, imo.

but he shines in some of his other movies i've watched.

he's very versatile.

i dont think i've watched any angelina movie yet- the tabloids alone have kept me occupied when it comes to her.
Re: The Tourist (Angelina Jolie & Johnny Deep) Flops ! by kadman(m): 7:11pm On Dec 13, 2010
tpia1:

^^depp is amazing and very impressive if you catch him in the right movie.

charlie and the chocolate factory was no good, imo.

but he shines in some of his other movies i've watched.

he's very versatile.

i dont think i've watched any angelina movie yet- the tabloids alone have kept me occupied when it comes to her.

EXACTLY !!! The media hype is so much, I can never separate Angelina Jolie and the characters she portrays.

As for Deep, you're right again. The problem is I hate the Pirate of The Caribbean character he plays, and he's starting to become like that in real life,
Re: The Tourist (Angelina Jolie & Johnny Deep) Flops ! by tpia1: 7:52pm On Dec 13, 2010
POTC wasnt well written.

great special effects and everything, but to me, that didnt make up for the story's basic weaknesses.

it has it's huge fan base no doubt, but still.

have you watched dr pargassus yet.

it's very dark and creepy, but quite good as fantasies go.

Reminded me of the ogboju ode series [if you know what i mean].

if you dont, then let's say a gothic version of wizard of oz.
Re: The Tourist (Angelina Jolie & Johnny Deep) Flops ! by kadman(m): 7:56pm On Dec 13, 2010
tpia1:

POTC wasnt well written.

great special effects and everything, but to me, that didnt make up for the story's basic weaknesses.

it has it's huge fan base no doubt, but still.

have you watched dr pargassus yet.

it's very dark and creepy, but quite good as fantasies go.

Reminded me of the ogboju ode series [if you know what i mean].

if you dont, then let's say a gothic version of wizard of oz.

Yeah I've watched it, and I do know what Ogboju Ode lol, being half Yoruba. Dr Parnassus was a really awesome movie. I don't know why it wasn't more popular especially with so many stars.

And I agree POTC is a weak franchise, and all the special effects and Johnny Deep's antics just don't make up for it.

Seems you would like The Chronicles of Narnia franchise ?
Re: The Tourist (Angelina Jolie & Johnny Deep) Flops ! by HTownEve(f): 8:00pm On Dec 13, 2010
I enjoyed the movie. grin
I am a fan of Johnny Depp though.
Re: The Tourist (Angelina Jolie & Johnny Deep) Flops ! by HTownEve(f): 8:06pm On Dec 13, 2010
@Poster.

Nooooo. I do not agree with your review. I am guessing that you are used to seeing both Angelina and Johnny in action packed movies.

The movies is quite enjoyable. wink Especially if you like the silly/cocky side of Johnny Depp.
Re: The Tourist (Angelina Jolie & Johnny Deep) Flops ! by kadman(m): 8:10pm On Dec 13, 2010
HTown Eve:

@Poster.

Nooooo. I do not agree with your review. I am guessing that you are used to seeing both Angelina and Johnny in action packed movies.

The movies is quite enjoyable. wink Especially if you like the silly/cocky side of Johnny Depp.

My review ke ? It was from yahoo o. I even put the link below the review cheesy
Re: The Tourist (Angelina Jolie & Johnny Deep) Flops ! by HTownEve(f): 8:13pm On Dec 13, 2010
Sorry about that Kadman. smiley cool wink
Re: The Tourist (Angelina Jolie & Johnny Deep) Flops ! by tpia1: 8:16pm On Dec 13, 2010
kadman:

Yeah I've watched it, and I do know what Ogboju Ode lol, being half Yoruba. Dr Parnassus was a really awesome movie. I don't know why it wasn't more popular especially with so many stars.

And I agree POTC is a weak franchise, and all the special effects and Johnny Deep's antics just don't make up for it.

Seems you would like The Chronicles of Narnia franchise ?

i think i'd be biased because i read the books in pry. school.

notwithstanding, the movies are quite interesting. Havent seen the latest one yet however.
Re: The Tourist (Angelina Jolie & Johnny Deep) Flops ! by kadman(m): 8:28pm On Dec 13, 2010
tpia1:

i think i'd be biased because i read the books in pry. school.

notwithstanding, the movies are quite interesting. Havent seen the latest one yet however.

SAME HERE !! I like them because of the books.
But to be honest. . . Most of the time I'm waiting for an apperance from Tilda Swinton (The Witch) who I adore.

HTown Eve:

Sorry about that Kadman. smiley cool wink

That's okay dear !
Re: The Tourist (Angelina Jolie & Johnny Deep) Flops ! by tpia1: 8:29pm On Dec 13, 2010
kadman:

Dr Parnassus was a really awesome movie. I don't know why it wasn't more popular especially with so many stars.

there were some deaths and accidents during filming.

that might be one reason.
Re: The Tourist (Angelina Jolie & Johnny Deep) Flops ! by obinna5000(m): 8:30pm On Dec 13, 2010
"The Tourist" opened poorly in the U.S. over the weekend with $17 million.

Check out the reviews as at Dec. 13 2010 from these sites:
- Rotten Tomatoes - 20%
- Metacritic - 37/100
- Flixster users - 78%
- Yahoo movies users - B
Re: The Tourist (Angelina Jolie & Johnny Deep) Flops ! by iice(f): 2:56pm On Dec 14, 2010
Lol i don't think many people understand the Dr. Parnassus movie and i'm not just talking about the story line. It looks warped. . .not really for many people. Hehe so Kadman likes Tilda. Atleast there is one person we agree on who is totally awesome cheesy

Anyhoo. . .will i watch it? Yes, just coz i'm Johnny's wife. Even if it's dreckitude tongue Comes with the job grin
Re: The Tourist (Angelina Jolie & Johnny Deep) Flops ! by kadman(m): 3:18pm On Dec 14, 2010
iice:

Lol i don't think many people understand the Dr. Parnassus movie and i'm not just talking about the story line.  It looks warped. . .not really for many people.  Hehe so Kadman likes Tilda.  Atleast there is one person we agree on who is totally awesome cheesy

Anyhoo. . .will i watch it? Yes, just coz i'm Johnny's wife.  Even if it's dreckitude tongue  Comes with the job grin

Tilda is awesome. I normally would not like someone like Tilda, as my kind of actresses either have that cold factor (Kidman) or one-liner funny (Cattrall). But the point I feel in love with Tilda was in the Micheal Clayton movie. There's a part where she's under pressure and she's in her underwear (so not attractive) in her hotel room rehearing her board room lines. That was acting ! I had never been more sure of anyone getting an Oscar for just that scene.

And do i detect a barb at Ms Kidman ? You do know my username is Kidman and I just changed the I to an[b] A[/b]  cheesy
Re: The Tourist (Angelina Jolie & Johnny Deep) Flops ! by iice(f): 3:39pm On Dec 14, 2010
Tilda has that cold factor too but where as Kidman comes out bland and frail to me, Tilda projects mystery and strength. I love Narnia mostly for her. Lol you know we'll never see eye to eye on Kidman. . .lets just leave that one alone grin. And i prefer Kadman to Kidman tongue
Re: The Tourist (Angelina Jolie & Johnny Deep) Flops ! by kadman(m): 7:37pm On Dec 14, 2010
iice:

Tilda has that cold factor too but where as Kidman comes out bland and frail to me, Tilda projects mystery and strength. I love Narnia mostly for her.  Lol you know we'll never see eye to eye on Kidman. . .lets just leave that one alone grinAnd i prefer Kadman to Kidman tongue

LOL.

I know we won't see eye to eye on the great Kidman, but can't help throwing you some shade. . I think the Golden Globe sees things from my point of view as awards were announced today, and Nicole Kidman is up for Best Actress. There is also a lot of Oscar buzz for her too ! Kidman is clearing her mantel as we speak for her second Oscar and third Golden Globe.

That's right b[i]i[/i]tches ! Kidman is back  grin grin grin grin
Re: The Tourist (Angelina Jolie & Johnny Deep) Flops ! by obinna5000(m): 8:23pm On Dec 14, 2010
'The Tourist' gets 3 Golden Globe nominations.
The 68th Golden Globe awards takes place on January 16 2011.
Re: The Tourist (Angelina Jolie & Johnny Deep) Flops ! by spade: 10:40pm On Dec 14, 2010
In more ways than one, I'm so glad this movie failed, and it's purely on the producers' poor decision to give top billing to Jolie and not Depp, despite the fact that much of the plot revolved around the latter. And to be quite honest with you, even though I'm a huge fan of Mr. Scissorhands (Depp), I'm certainly not in the mood to blow my money watching a totally useless Angelina playing her usual one-dimensional alter-ego (the same rubbish alter ego we've seen her play in Mr & Mrs Smith, and Tomb Raider, and The Hackers, AND Wanted). Abegii!
Good thing say this movie don finally bomb-scatter, make we hear word jor!
Re: The Tourist (Angelina Jolie & Johnny Deep) Flops ! by Nobody: 6:20am On Dec 15, 2010
Who cares about box-office tongue does performance not count anymore? Still going to see the movie tongue
Re: The Tourist (Angelina Jolie & Johnny Deep) Flops ! by spade: 6:45am On Dec 15, 2010
rokiatu:

Who cares about box-office tongue does performance not count anymore? Still going to see the movie tongue

Hmmm, Let's see -- the director, actors, screenwriters, producers, executive producers, art directors, and even the mainstream audience, because 98 percent of the time, a movie's commercial performance is used as a barometer in determining whether or not it's worth seeing. Case in point? Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. cool
Re: The Tourist (Angelina Jolie & Johnny Deep) Flops ! by obinna5000(m): 8:06am On Dec 15, 2010
@rokiatu
The box office performance matters to the producers and distributors. They don't want to count losses.
Re: The Tourist (Angelina Jolie & Johnny Deep) Flops ! by maurya: 9:43am On Dec 15, 2010
Angelina was good in the movie but i was depp;s performance was atrocious.
Re: The Tourist (Angelina Jolie & Johnny Deep) Flops ! by tpia1: 9:45am On Dec 15, 2010
really!!
Re: The Tourist (Angelina Jolie & Johnny Deep) Flops ! by kadman(m): 11:11am On Dec 15, 2010
spade:

In more ways than one, I'm so glad this movie failed, and it's purely on the producers' poor decision to give top billing to Jolie and not Depp, despite the fact that much of the plot revolved around the latter. And to be quite honest with you, even though I'm a huge fan of Mr. Scissorhands (Depp), I'm certainly not in the mood to blow my money watching a totally useless Angelina playing her usual one-dimensional alter-ego (the same rubbish alter ego we've seen her play in Mr & Mrs Smith, and Tomb Raider, and The Hackers, AND Wanted). Abegii!
Good thing say this movie don finally bomb-scatter, make we hear word jor!
grin grin grin grin grin grin
You forgot SALT !! You forgot SALT !!!
spade:

Hmmm, Let's see -- the director, actors, screenwriters, producers, executive producers, art directors, and even the mainstream audience, because 98 percent of the time, a movie's commercial performance is used as a barometer in determining whether or not it's worth seeing. Case in point? Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. cool

Lol at the shade !!
Re: The Tourist (Angelina Jolie & Johnny Deep) Flops ! by HTownEve(f): 7:08pm On Dec 15, 2010
I love the movie SALT. cool
Re: The Tourist (Angelina Jolie & Johnny Deep) Flops ! by Nobody: 8:53pm On Dec 15, 2010
why wont u like it wen it's a female badass. *hiss* I soo hate dis jolie of a girl. I no know wetin dem see 4 im body. She is soo not hot or sexy. Even Trump doesnt find her attractive.
We have much more super talented ones like my darling Meryl n Nicole. Kai
Re: The Tourist (Angelina Jolie & Johnny Deep) Flops ! by kadman(m): 11:50pm On Dec 15, 2010
HTown Eve:

I love the movie SALT. cool

I meant it was the same one dimensional character she plays in all movies like spade said.
Darthmaul:

why wont u like it wen it's a female badass. *hiss* I soo hate dis jolie of a girl. I no know wetin dem see 4 im body. She is soo not hot or sexy. Even Trump doesnt find her attractive.
We have much more super talented ones like my darling Meryl n Nicole. Kai

Good taste man !! You be my new best friend. Kidman rocks yo.
Re: The Tourist (Angelina Jolie & Johnny Deep) Flops ! by HTownEve(f): 12:13am On Dec 16, 2010
Meryl is one of my favorites. grin
Nicole Kidman, hmmmn not so much. smiley

Kadman, Darthmaul is your BFF? I am jealous. cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

FBI International: S01E01, Team Rescues 14 Year Old Girl Captured In Croatia / 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers Of Benghazi / See 7 Things You Should Know About New TSTV Sassy Decoder

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.