Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,153 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:53 AM

Do You Still Trust Sahara Reporters? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do You Still Trust Sahara Reporters? (6726 Views)

DSS Agents Stole Saraki's Money - Sahara Reporters / Abubakar Audu Is Dead - Sahara Reporters / Adeola Of Sahara Reporters And President Buhari Take A Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Still Trust Sahara Reporters? by porka: 12:31pm On Dec 18, 2010
My worry with SR is that it started as a very non-conventional 21st century, unguarded, unrestrained media but now trying to remodel themselves in a conventional sense. And there evident of greater confussion in this Wikileaks times, Sowore and his people are again trying to see themselves in the mould of Julian Assange's Wikileaks.

I don't see any similarity between them, Sowore could best be described as a guerilla journalist while Assange has not pretended to be a journalist. He does not have any opinion about the rightness or wrongness of those leaks, he is after freedom of speech, whereas Sowore to my mind seeks to be (at least initially, until the altercation with Keyamo who revealed just a little of his hidden past) an anti-corruption crusader.

Another worry of mine is the SR's difficulty in applying the standard it used on its 'enemies' to its 'friends'. Notice the way they've exposed Phillips Emeagwali's 'fraud' and bogus claims and notice the silence on Wole Soyinka's. If Soyinka's recent revelation is anything to go by, it is clear that he too must have been lying about his academic qualifications for years only for the ceremony to be organized for him to 'amend the errors'. If someone asked if you had a PhD and instead of saying NO, you said you had a DD and you name is Wole Soyinka, the impression will be that that DD must be a very important award, perhaps higher than a normal PhD, and after several years you didn't clarify it only to come in 2010 to 'clear the air', when a similar 'fraudulent academic claims' is in the front page of public debate, then something is fishy. We might never even know the true position of things. SR did not give Emeagwali the similar luxury to 'clear the air'.

If one of Phillips' sins is that of not correcting an interviewer who refer to him as a PhD holder, what about Pat Utomi that has been lying for years of being an economist? He has not made any effort to correct it but SR is not after him.

But by and large we need SR as a catalyst to our fight against corruption and as an alternative to our infested main stream media, MSM at home. I'll still visit SR, but I'll remain cautious and read between the lines.

1 Like

Re: Do You Still Trust Sahara Reporters? by wazobiang: 12:55pm On Dec 19, 2010
dem don chop na!
Re: Do You Still Trust Sahara Reporters? by walata44(m): 8:05am On Dec 20, 2010
SR is the best, you can stop visiting there website and start watching NTA news.
Re: Do You Still Trust Sahara Reporters? by LA2(m): 11:47am On Dec 20, 2010
It's not only Sahara reporters. News sources from Nigeria today are full of blatant lies, sensationalism and outright misrepresentations.
That's why I now go to www.wazobiareport.com to get my Nigerian news. At least they are honest enough to tell you upfront that it's all made up.
Re: Do You Still Trust Sahara Reporters? by mygee33(m): 12:20am On Dec 21, 2010
SR, knew something has been wrong with them right from the start. Who cares about them, there are lots of news pages to get authentic info from.
Re: Do You Still Trust Sahara Reporters? by oyinda3(f): 2:54am On Dec 23, 2010
No. never trusted them from the start. they thrive on shock value and sensationalism.
and like most already know, their news is very very biased. they don't even try to be objective at all.
if there are two drummers at an event, they photoshop it to make them four in number. why try to make a dummy out of your readers??
Re: Do You Still Trust Sahara Reporters? by swaggrbabe: 11:35am On Jan 06, 2011
yes i trust sr
Re: Do You Still Trust Sahara Reporters? by Muza(m): 11:00pm On Aug 07, 2011
till tmr
Re: Do You Still Trust Sahara Reporters? by Demdem(m): 9:34am On Oct 18, 2011
They may not be perfect but i still trust them above several of our local papers. definately, the likes of This Day, Tribune, the nation etc arent in their league in disseminating the truth.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jonathan Promises Fairness In Federal Appointments / Reinstating Major (''GENERAL'') Hamza Al Mustapha Into The Nigerian Army / True State Of Federal Roads From Lagos To Ebonyi State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.