Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,716 members, 7,837,610 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 08:15 AM

Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon (35499 Views)

David Lyon Declared Winner Of Bayelsa Governorship Election / Bayelsa Election: 13 Things To Know About David Lyon / Bayelsa Election: David Lyon Leads Duoye Diri With 434,473 Votes - TVC News (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by CyberWolf: 9:05am On Feb 14, 2020
Afospecialk:

I knw majority of you would twist the truth of the matter just to satisfy your inclination but disregard the mandates given to him by majority of Bayelsans

Provide this situation occur to PDP then you would be crying foul by now .

Its quite obvious that Dickson has embezzled the state dry despite the small landmass and being one of the major stats that generate crude oil.
Did the deputy elect forged certificate or not? Be objective please.

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by Liposure: 9:07am On Feb 14, 2020
Vortex369:
It is not legally admissible to fault the Governor on fake credentials of the Deputy, it is solely the responsibility of INEC to vet and verify those Certificates before approving any nominated Candidate prior to election after verifying and confirming the credentials.

INEC can not specify the Certificate Requirement of an Office, but refuses to Verify those same documents BEFORE approving the Candidate for Position.

My personal submission is that even as it is, it is only the Deputy that is supposed to be disqualified and not the Governor if his own documents are good.

Besides, how come Supreme Court Judges are focused on Governors and not the President who is clearly very uneducated?

This country is not a home for sane minds, I think Nnamdi Kanu is right. These things can only happen in zoos, and I logize for mals to even naming this a zalr n the Supreme Court judges in this se.
baby leave dis politics mata jare. How d val go be now. Make i cum
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by ofwest47(m): 9:09am On Feb 14, 2020
See what the country's justice system is going about : Here is a case , election was naturally conducted and the generality of the state population voted massively for a particular candidate and the country's I N E C declared him winner.
But , the country's Supreme Court disqualified the winner because his chosen deputy was said to have submitted some forged personal documents to I N E C and for that reason the originally elected A P C governorship candidate should be disqualified and the P D P state house speaker be sworn in as governor as the original owner of the seat because the court said he can not hand pick a fresh deputy. Recall, Obasanjo hand picked Atiku as his Vice even after Atiku have been elected as Zamfara governor. So I can not see why the new state elected governor can not hand pick another deputy .
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by masterflowx(m): 9:10am On Feb 14, 2020
Liposure:
baba me sef dey find u don see

I never see o my man.
Durex don turn me to Guinness Ultimate searcher self.

Guy man we go do am like that ni o.
But I no wan hear story after 9 months o. grin
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by Nobody: 9:11am On Feb 14, 2020
CyberWolf:
The law is very clear on this. You cannot contest for a governor without a running mate. In this, APC candidate does not have a running mate, that’s why the court sacked him.

The Court has no right to sack him due to negligence of INEC.

It is INEC's job to vet and verify all Credentials before approving Candidates and their Running Mates. So what is the purpose of INEC if they can not actually have a mechanism of credentials verification?

What is the basis of approval of candidature without credibility evaluation process?

I think the recent events from Supreme Court will lead the country to more chaos as it is. The truth is that the mass of the people voted for a particular candidate who had a manifesto they loved, now Supreme Court is by their actions enthroning unpopular manifestos.

Election was designed to be the Peoples' Choice. Now is it the peoples' Choice? Hell no!

This is Cash and Carry Politics and we all know it but keep supporting it. What you find, you get and Nigeria is getting closer to what she deserves - chaos.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by EagleSquare1(m): 9:14am On Feb 14, 2020
It appears here that the deputy governorship candidate derives his legitimacy leaning more on the governorship candidate. The governorship candidate among other qualifications only gets legitimacy when he nominates a running mate. In my own opinion, in essence, should the deputy governorship candidate fall short of the qualification for the office, he should solely pay the price.
Well, its just a mere opinion of mine.

Kwanza:

https://m.guardian.ng/news/lawyers-differ-on-supreme-courts-ouster-of-lyon/

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by garfield1: 9:14am On Feb 14, 2020
[s]
fergie001:
Just going through the judgement of September 26, 1979.
It's novel.

In this case, there is nothing to differ. It's a pre-election matter and like Rivers, APC shouldn't have even been in the elections, save for the last minute Stay of The Execution procured from Port Harcourt.

APC votes are dead votes. Hence, the PDP won all LGAs in Bayelsa State.

Thanks mushystuff for your expose
[/s]
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by CyberWolf: 9:14am On Feb 14, 2020
Vortex369:

The Court has no right to sack him due to negligence of INEC.

It is INEC's job to vet and verify all Creddentials before approving Candidates and their Running Mates. So is the purpose of INEC if they can not actually have a mechanism of credentials verification?

What is the basis of approval of candidature without credibility evaluation process?

I think the recent events from Supreme Court will lead the country to more chaos as it is. The truth is that the mass of the people voted for a particular candidate who had a manifesto they loved, now Supreme Court is by their actions enthroning unpopular manifestos.

Election was designed to be the Peoples' Choice. Now is it the peoples' Choice? Hell no!

This is Cash and Carry Politics and we all know it but keep supporting it. What you find, you get and Nigeria is getting closer to what she deserves - chaos.
I understand your sentiment but Justice is blind, objective and factual. That INEC failed in her duty or that Lyon wasn’t aware the deputy forged result is not an excuse because in law, ignorance is not an excuse so, suck it up because it’s what it is... LAW.

2 Likes

Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by Nobody: 9:15am On Feb 14, 2020
Liposure:
baby leave dis politics mata jare. How d val go be now. Make i cum

This Val is boring, very boring. It is supposed to be sex, massage, wines, sex, massage, wine, and more sex, but shiit happens and we can't piss out.
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by worworbabe: 9:15am On Feb 14, 2020
It's a shame that Nigerians are showing pity for these people. When APC realised that there was forgery involved and that the deputy Governor presented forged certificates, why didn't they change the candidate? Why go ahead to give Nigerians a forger as Deputy Governor. This is them taking Nigerians for granted and we deserve better.

The supreme Court has ruled and it is the right judgement.

Let others take a cue from this.
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by CyberWolf: 9:17am On Feb 14, 2020
EagleSquare1:
It appears here that the deputy governorship candidate derives his legitimacy leaning more on the governorship candidate. The governorship candidate among other qualifications only gets legitimacy when he nominates a running mate. In my own opinion, in essence, should the deputy governorship candidate fall short of the qualification for the office, he should solely pay the price.
Well, its just a mere opinion of mine.

When the deputy governorship candidate falls short of the qualification for the office, it means the governorship candidate does not have a running mate which makes him fall short of the qualification for the office too.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by garfield1: 9:17am On Feb 14, 2020
shugabasbn:
Based judgment on technicalities is a disaster in waiting. Getting a victory through court judgment like this is a worrisome for the country. The candidate that has overwhelmed support n another one that completely rejected bn sworn in as a elected candidate is disturbing.

From my observations Justice Mary Odilli has a passion for technicalities than others n there is another Justice I think Ekpo
I agree with you.though the letter of the law was followed in isolation,it wasn't followed in spirit.they was no community or compound reading.judgments should be given in tandem with who the masses voted
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by fergie001: 9:17am On Feb 14, 2020
garfield1:
[s][/s]
If you needed my attention, was it by cancelling my comments?
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by garfield1: 9:18am On Feb 14, 2020
CanadaOrBust:

Imo state case goes waayyyy overboard. It’s like the SC actively participated in rigging an election. Everybody, including all the lower courts, newspapers, INEC, can see easily that Uzodinma’s figures were clearly fraudulent, EXCEPT THE SC ONLY!

I’m not into politics at all, but here is what someone into Imo politics wrote (and u just know he is telling the truth):

Imo people did not vote for Hope! Hope didn't even campaign in Imo because of the APC crises between him and Rochas who was fronting his in-law, Uche Nwosu.

On the day of the election, Hope and some APC loyalists were lodged in a Hotel in Owerri writing results after INEC announced results. They brought the results and were compelling returning officer to announce but he refused that it was fake that even party reps have raised the alarm.
I now see your point.bayelsa didnt vote pdp
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by CyberWolf: 9:20am On Feb 14, 2020
garfield1:

I agree with you.though the letter of the law was followed in isolation,it wasn't followed in spirit.they was no community or compound reading.judgments should be given in tandem with who the masses voted
Judgment should be universal not selective. When you start given judgment based on what the masses like, then it’s no more judgment but compensation.

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by Nobody: 9:24am On Feb 14, 2020
CyberWolf:
I understand your sentiment but Justice is blind, objective and factual. That INEC failed in her duty or that Lyon wasn’t aware the deputy forged result is not an excuse because in law, ignorance is not an excuse so, suck it up because it’s what it is... LAW.

First of all, it is NOT sentiment. And if Justice is blind, then it is not justice because Justice is not supposed to be blind, but Justice is supposed to be about Truth.

Truth that it is the Responsibility of INEC to vet and verify Certificates, and not the Governorship Candidate, in fact an individual needs legal permit to verify another person's credentials in Educational Institution and must show cause before court or police grants you a warrant to initiate such case.

So you can see it is the prerogative of INEC to vet, verify and approve a Candidate, but if INEC failed to do their job, a Justice system is supposed to revert back to INEC with their observation and then INEC will launch an investigation and take blame for their inactions and then we can begin to either plan a new election or assign the winner a new person to deputize. That is a legally tenable negotiation process in a system that Governance is for the people.

Because majority of the 'People' in Democracy voted for a particular party and a particular candidate based on their salesmanship, their manifesto and the content of Character.

Now Supreme Court has become a Cash and Carry Cabal, very silly people think they are.
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by Liposure: 9:24am On Feb 14, 2020
Vortex369:

This Val is boring, very boring. It is supposed to be sex, massage, wines, sex, massage, wine, and more sex, but shiit happens and we can't piss out.
whine no more. i'm down n available 4 u.
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by garfield1: 9:25am On Feb 14, 2020
CyberWolf:
Judgment should be universal not selective. When you start given judgment based on what the masses like, then it’s no more judgment but compensation.
Guy,electoral laws are meant to better our elections and enthrone a true winner.morally the right thing to have done is to punish the forger alone or allow the party bring another candidate since the party was voted for.if you are punishing the party,why not punish inec along
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by Nobody: 9:28am On Feb 14, 2020
Liposure:
whine no more. i'm down n available 4 u.

You can't even type properly, so you will have no level of patience needed to please a beautiful woman. Learn proper typing and tenses, then we can take it up from there.
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by CyberWolf: 9:29am On Feb 14, 2020
Vortex369:

First of all, it is NOT sentiment. And if Justice is blind, then it is not justice because Justice is not supposed to be blind, but Justice is supposed to be about Truth.

Truth that it is the Responsibility of INEC to vet and verify Certificates, and not the Governorship Candidate, in fact an individual needs legal permit to verify another person's credentials in Educational Institution and must show cause before court or police grants you a warrant to initiate such case.

So you can see it is the prerogative of INEC to vet, verify and approve a Candidate, but if INEC failed to do their job, a Justice system is supposed to revert back to INEC with their observation and then INEC will launch an investigation and take blame for their inactions and then we can begin to either plan a new election or assign the winner a new person to deputize. That is a legally tenable negotiation process in a system that Governance is for the people.

Because majority of the 'People' in Democracy voted for a particular party and a particular candidate based on their salesmanship, their manifesto and the content of Character.

Now Supreme Court has become a Cash and Carry Cabal, very silly people think they are.
What are you even talking about? Which legally tenable how? Quote the section of the constitution that supports your interpretation? .... The law is what it is whether you like it not. When you have a deputy that doesn’t meet requirements, it means you don’t have a deputy and the constitution states that you must have a deputy. So next time don’t forge result and make sure your mate doesn’t too so that the law won’t bite you in the ass later.

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by CyberWolf: 9:32am On Feb 14, 2020
garfield1:

Guy,electoral laws are meant to better our elections and enthrone a true winner.morally the right thing to have done is to punish the forger alone or allow the party bring another candidate since the party was voted for.if you are punishing the party,why not punish inec along
Morally that’s the right thing to do but constitutionally, that’s not the right thing to do. We can’t sacrifice the constitutional legality on the alter of morality. If we must do that, let’s throw away the constitution entirely.
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by Indispensable85(m): 9:33am On Feb 14, 2020
I sympathize with bayelsa people sha......
They really wanted David Lyon. He was voted overwhelmingly.
Take heart guys!
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by garfield1: 9:35am On Feb 14, 2020
CyberWolf:
Morally that’s the right thing to do but constitutionally, that’s not the right thing to do. We can’t sacrifice the constitutional legality on the alter of morality. If we must do that, let’s throw away the constitution entirely.
That is why they must be amendments periodically
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by CyberWolf: 9:36am On Feb 14, 2020
garfield1:

That is why they must be amendments periodically
Let them amend the constitution if they can.

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by Liposure: 9:41am On Feb 14, 2020
Vortex369:

You can't even type properly, so you will have no level of patience needed to please a beautiful woman. Learn proper typing and tenses, then we can take it up from there.
point of correction. my typing doesnt translate 2 my lack of patience. For god sake, Its just shorthand writing. Anyway i will change.
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by Nobody: 9:43am On Feb 14, 2020
CyberWolf:
What are you even talking about? Which legally tenable how? Quote the section of the constitution that supports your interpretation? .... The law is what it is whether you like it not. When you have a deputy that doesn’t meet requirements, it means you don’t have a deputy and the constitution states that you must have a deputy. So next time don’t forge result and make sure your mate doesn’t too so that the law won’t bite you in the ass later.

The Law is not a Paradigm of Perfection, so in most cases I am above laws because laws are designed by people and if the people are imperfect, the laws they promulgate will be imperfect.

So your rationale about Law is not tenable to characters like me. I am about what should be, and not about the paper tigers you call laws in your Nigeria.

Are you surprise about the decadence in the society when you are suspending the cerebral faculties and engaging in sentimental brouhaha?

Please dont sound dumb, cos I don't think you are.
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by CyberWolf: 9:46am On Feb 14, 2020
Vortex369:

The Law is not a Paradigm of Perfection, so in most cases I am above laws because laws are designed by people and if the people are imperfect, the laws they promulgate will be imperfect.

So your rationale about Law is not tenable to characters like me. I am about what should be, and not about the paper tigers you call laws in your Nigeria.

Are you surprise about the decadence in the society when you are suspending the cerebral faculties and engaging in sentimental brouhaha?

Please dont sound dumb, cos I don't think you are.
Ok oo Mrs I am above the law... Whatever makes you feel good.
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by Nobody: 9:47am On Feb 14, 2020
Liposure:
point of correction. my typing doesnt translate 2 my lack of patience. For god sake, Its just shorthand writing. Anyway i will change.

Shorthand? Mixing up integers and strings in a single line can only be admissible in coding and not in letter writing.

If you want to dine with some people, you must be expressive and smart. Define your class and grow.
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by banio: 9:55am On Feb 14, 2020
Supreme Court is now a double edge sword. If they are made to smile, they will make you laugh.

Buhari had no certificate, yet he is eminently qualified to be President. David Lyon deputu forged or had discrepancy in his certificate, Supreme Court threw them out
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by Liposure: 10:02am On Feb 14, 2020
Vortex369:

Shorthand? Mixing up integers and strings in a single line can only be admissible in coding and not in letter writing.

If you want to dine with some people, you must be expressive and smart. Define your class and grow.
you are a handful i swear. I like ladies like you. I want ladies like you. xoxo
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by Liposure: 10:05am On Feb 14, 2020
Vortex369:

i'm ready to go down that hole with you
Re: Bayelsa: Lawyers differ on Supreme Court’s ouster of David Lyon by Nobody: 10:07am On Feb 14, 2020
Liposure:
you are a handful i swear. I like ladies like you. I want ladies like you. xoxo

You are making progress, now begin your sentences with upper case letters. 'you' should be You and 'i' should be I when they are beginning of sentences.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lagosians React To Jonathan's Campaign In Lagos On Twitter / A Man Has Been Shot Dead As Violence Hits INEC Office In Bauchi - Graphic Photos / Onitsha, Obosi Catholic Churches, Women Groups Shower Econmiums On Maduka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.