Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,777 members, 7,955,970 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:06 PM

Akunyili Resigns, Joins APGA - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akunyili Resigns, Joins APGA (1737 Views)

Soludo Joins APGA As A Gubernatorial Aspirant / Saharareporters: Dora Akunyili's Resignation Letter / Say No To 'NAIJA' - Akunyili (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Akunyili Resigns, Joins APGA by Onlytruth(m): 8:39pm On Dec 15, 2010
[size=16pt]Akunyili Resigns, Joins APGA[/size]

SPECULATIONS were Wednesday laid to rest when President Goodluck Jonathan reluctantly accepted the resignation of the Minister of Information and Communication, Professor Dora Akunyili.

Consequently, the President has approved the appointment of Minister of State in the Ministry, Mr Labaran Maku, as the substantive Minister. The new senior Minister is now to function without a Minister of State.

Akunyili, in an emotion-laden last briefing after the Federal Executive Council, FEC, disclosed that she was quitting both the government and the ruling People Democratic Party, PDP, in order to achieve her age-long ambition to become a senator.

According to her, she intends to defect to the All Progressives Grand Alliance, APGA, where she hopes to realise the political dream to emerge as a senator representing Anambra Central Senatoral District.

Briefing State House correspondents, shortly after the FEC which was presided over by President Jonathan, at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, Akunyili said her decision to resign and run for the position was borne out of her zeal to serve her people and Nigeria.

“Having reflected over the years about events in Nigeria and in particular my state, Anambra, I have come to the conclusion that it is indeed a defining moment in my life when I should make the sacrifice of leaving a comfortable place to go to a difficult terrain in order to build a better place for our children,” she said.

She stated further, “I have, therefore, decided to join my governor, Peter Obi, who is doing a great job in continuing to build Anambra State as an APGA senator. In this regard, I intend to pick the nomination form today (Wednesday) to run for the office of senator representing Anambra Central Senatorial District in the national assembly”.

Akunyili had earlier in her valedictory address to the FEC,  told colleagues “I am deeply grateful to you for giving me the opportunity to serve our dear country as minister of information and communications. I am equally grateful for the cooperation which you, the Vice President, who sees me as his own sister and my cabinet colleagues extended to me in the course of my duties, without which I would not have succeeded”.

She therefore sought the prayers and support of the council members in realising her political ambition.

“As I take this step, I solicit for your prayers and other forms of support. I am making this request because you are my people and my immediate constituency”, Akunyili said.

“Today is therefore a very emotional day for me in council. This is because I have been so closely bonded to most of you that my departure is like leaving a family. My heart is so heavy because in this council, I have found comfort and friendship,” she said.

Maku said President Jonathan reluctantly accepted the resignation of the former minister because of her quality service to the nation but added that since she was in quest of higher political, the president had not alternative than to allow her go.

While wishing Akunyili well in her political journey, the new minister noted that why they worked together as colleagues he enjoyed the best of relationship with the outgoing minister.

http://news2.onlinenigeria.com/headlines/62407-Akunyili-Resigns-Joins-APGA.html
Re: Akunyili Resigns, Joins APGA by Onlytruth(m): 8:40pm On Dec 15, 2010
We (APGA) are gradually coming together.  cool

Dora Akunyili is HUGE!
Re: Akunyili Resigns, Joins APGA by chyz(m): 8:42pm On Dec 15, 2010
Onlytruth:

We (APGA) are gradually coming together. cool

Yes We (APGA) are. wink
Re: Akunyili Resigns, Joins APGA by bariat(f): 8:43pm On Dec 15, 2010
na wa ohh!
Re: Akunyili Resigns, Joins APGA by Onlytruth(m): 8:51pm On Dec 15, 2010
Next year's elections in Igboland will be earth shaking! APGA is gradually building in such a way that will soon corner all credible and serious politicians from the east.

In fact that should remain the goal until we move to win over other zones. Charity begins at home. PDP is what we in Nnewi call "Atulu oha" -a sheep owned by nobody, hence is accountable to NOBODY and will eventually starve to death.
Re: Akunyili Resigns, Joins APGA by Omenani(m): 8:55pm On Dec 15, 2010
It was bound to happen. Why am I not surprised?
Re: Akunyili Resigns, Joins APGA by Onlytruth(m): 9:02pm On Dec 15, 2010
Omenani:

It was bound to happen. Why am I not surprised?

I am surprised because it is not that easy to leave PDP especially as the elections are approaching.
She is an asset to ANY party. That she is willing to take the risk of contesting an election instead of holding onto her day's job speaks volumes about her character and courage.

Great woman.
Re: Akunyili Resigns, Joins APGA by Eziachi: 9:04pm On Dec 15, 2010
Onlytruth:

We (APGA) are gradually coming together.  cool

Dora Akunyili is HUGE!

If she wins with APGA, the question is, will she do an Ohakim and go back to PDP?
Mind you Ohakim didn't really win, just an usurper of Agbaoso?
Re: Akunyili Resigns, Joins APGA by Onlytruth(m): 9:14pm On Dec 15, 2010
Eziachi:

If she wins with APGA, the question is, will she do an Ohakim and go back to PDP?
Mind you Ohakim didn't really win, just an usurper of Agbaoso?

I highly doubt that.
Akunyili is more principled and courageous than the Ohakims and Orjis of this world. Moreover she has nothing to lose as long as APGA remains the party to beat in Igboland.
I strongly sense that APGA will seize all eastern part of Nigeria soon. Just watch.

PDP is a dying party.
Re: Akunyili Resigns, Joins APGA by OchiAgha2(m): 9:24pm On Dec 15, 2010
I am still not surprised about this. Someone on NL predicted she was going to do this. And what did she do? She actually did it. I actually support APGA. I hope this party sweeps the entire South-East. Does anyone know who is running on the APGA ticket for governor of Abia State?

-Omenani
Re: Akunyili Resigns, Joins APGA by sochan: 9:26pm On Dec 15, 2010
well this one Nwodo is giving Chime problems, wont it be best for him to swicth now. he is already quite popular in Enugu state.
Re: Akunyili Resigns, Joins APGA by Onlytruth(m): 9:38pm On Dec 15, 2010
Ochi_Agha:

I am still not surprised about this. Someone on NL predicted she was going to do this. And what did she do? She actually did it. I actually support APGA. I hope this party sweeps the entire South-East. Does anyone know who is running on the APGA ticket for governor of Abia State?

-Omenani

I would like to know too, though the answer may not be clear until after the party primaries. I guess we will know by January.
Re: Akunyili Resigns, Joins APGA by beneli(m): 9:40pm On Dec 15, 2010
Ochi_Agha:

-Omenani

The two candidates for APGA are Dr Max Ndukwe Adindu and Reagan Ufomba. They're yet to go through the primaries though. They're not political heavy weights in the real sense but seem to have potentials - especially Dr Adindu who has been a commissioner in the T.A. government but from the news available to me, fell out with that notorious cabal on grounds of incompatible principles. He seems a decent chap. Reagan Ufomba doesn't sound bad either but there's questions about who his political godfathers maybe.

Either of them would be a better option for Abia. . .
Re: Akunyili Resigns, Joins APGA by aljharem11(m): 9:41pm On Dec 15, 2010
now igbos are learning from the yorubas

i talk am or i no talk am

@ op

this is terrible to ndigbo land because,

how would she tell my brothers in anambra that she is right for the job, also how does she expect to win when peter obi is still there
Re: Akunyili Resigns, Joins APGA by OchiAgha2(m): 9:41pm On Dec 15, 2010
Onlytruth:

I would like to know too, though the answer may not be clear until after the party primaries. I guess we will know by January.

Thank you very much. The people of Abia State need change more than any other state in the South-East. The state is going through a lot of problems. And the great potential for Aba is being wasted by successive administrations based in Umuahia. Aba should be the commercial heartbeat of the East or West Africa in general!
Re: Akunyili Resigns, Joins APGA by OchiAgha2(m): 9:44pm On Dec 15, 2010
beneli:

The two candidates for APGA are Dr Max Ndukwe Adindu and Reagan Ufomba. They're yet to go through the primaries though. They're not political heavy weights in the real sense but seem to have potentials - especially Dr Adindu who has been a commissioner in the T.A. government but from the news available to me, fell out with that notorious cabal on grounds of incompatible principles. He seems a decent chap. Reagan Ufomba doesn't sound bad either but there's questions about who his political godfathers maybe.

Either of them would be a better option for Abia. . .  

This is even better news. Anything is better than PDP or PPA. The road to my village was left incomplete, because a political heavy-weight from my clan "disrespected" T.A. Orji. How are you going to start a project and not finish? This party has done nothing to improve the situation in Abia State.
Re: Akunyili Resigns, Joins APGA by Onlytruth(m): 9:44pm On Dec 15, 2010
alj harem1:

now igbos are learning from the yorubas

i talk am or i no talk am

@ op

this is terrible to ndigbo land because,

how would she tell my brothers in anambra that she is right for the job, also how does she expect to win when peter obi is still there

almajiri what are you smoking now? Who is talking about unseating Peter Obi?
Re: Akunyili Resigns, Joins APGA by Onlytruth(m): 9:48pm On Dec 15, 2010
Ochi_Agha:

Thank you very much. The people of Abia State need change more than any other state in the South-East. The state is going through a lot of problems. And the great potential for Aba is being wasted by successive administrations based in Umuahia. Aba should be the commercial heartbeat of the East or West Africa in general!

Completely agree! What does it take to bring out the best in Aba and Abia state in general?
Honest and focused leadership.

On these, APGA is the best for us. PDP or ACN can NEVER plan Aba to be the best commercial hub in Africa.
Re: Akunyili Resigns, Joins APGA by OchiAgha2(m): 9:53pm On Dec 15, 2010
Onlytruth:

Completely agree! What does it take to bring out the best in Aba and Abia state in general?
Honest and focused leadership.

On these, APGA is the best for us. PDP or ACN can NEVER plan Aba to be the best commercial hub in Africa.

The people of Aba are extemely industrious. Some of the things these people can make, can astound you. I never seen a people so geared to creating things. The only city that can even be compared to the industrious nature of these inhabitants are the good people from Onitsha or Kumasi in Ghana.

I weep for Abia though. Abia state needs change. From Umuahia my hometown, to Aba.
Re: Akunyili Resigns, Joins APGA by Onlytruth(m): 9:59pm On Dec 15, 2010
Ochi_Agha:

The people of Aba are extemely industrious. Some of the things these people can make, can astound you. I never seen a people so geared to creating things. The only city that can even be compared to the industrious nature of these inhabitants are the good people from Onitsha or Kumasi in Ghana.

I weep for Abia though. Abia state needs change. From Umuahia my hometown, to Aba.

I can still remember my visit to Aba when I was a kid around mid-80s just when De Sam Mbakwe's impact was beginning to wear off. Believe me Aba was it! The roads were in mint condition and the city was far better than Onitsha!

Then it all began to fell apart because NPP was not in charge. The military was.
APGA is like the NPP of the 80s. We will get our lives back under APGA.
Re: Akunyili Resigns, Joins APGA by Onlytruth(m): 10:18pm On Dec 15, 2010
If I were any of these Igbo politicians with some credibility, I would decamp to APGA NOW, because soon, the party will be teeming with heavy weights and there will no longer be room.

Declare for APGA NOW, or regret in a month's time. cool
Re: Akunyili Resigns, Joins APGA by Nobody: 10:29pm On Dec 15, 2010
Nice Decision. Politics(LIFE)is not a do or die affair! Learn frm her NLs!
Re: Akunyili Resigns, Joins APGA by aljharem(m): 11:17pm On Dec 15, 2010
Ochi_Agha:

i completely disagree, what we need now is development in aba not being any commercial hub

let it be the capital of us easterners insisted of enugu, aba people are very industrious and they can make aba state the most beautiful state in west africa

but been a commercial hub just makes thing dirty just like NY, London, lagos and so on,

what do u think my igbo brothers undecided
Re: Akunyili Resigns, Joins APGA by Onlytruth(m): 11:21pm On Dec 15, 2010
alj harem:

i completely disagree, what we need now is development in aba not being any commercial hub

let it be the capital of us easterners insisted of enugu, aba people are very industrious and they can make aba state the most beautiful state in west africa

but been a commercial hub just makes thing dirty just like NY, London, lagos and so on,

what do u think my igbo brothers undecided

You almajiri goat!  angry angry angry

How do you live with calling Igbos inyamiri in one thread and still come to threads like this one to vomit the trash I bolded?

Don't you even have shame? What type of a sick character are you? angry

Maybe you think everyone feeds on grass like you.
Re: Akunyili Resigns, Joins APGA by aljharem(m): 11:23pm On Dec 15, 2010
Onlytruth:

You almajiri goat!  angry angry angry

How do you live with calling Igbos inyamiri in one thread and still come to threads like this one to vomit the trash I bolded?

Don't you even have shame? What type of a sick character are you? angry

Maybe you think everyone feeds on grass like you.

but if the igbos abuse my northern part what should i do
Re: Akunyili Resigns, Joins APGA by Onlytruth(m): 11:25pm On Dec 15, 2010
alj harem:

but if the igbos abuse my northern part what should i do

So why are you calling yourself stupid a55 Igbo or easterner then?

By the way the insult almost always originate from you.

Quit that grass you are chewing and try paw paw leaves or something.
Re: Akunyili Resigns, Joins APGA by jason12345: 11:27pm On Dec 15, 2010
Onlytruth:

So why are you calling yourself silly a55 Igbo or easterner then?

lol. NL will kill me oo!!! grin grin grin grin
Re: Akunyili Resigns, Joins APGA by aljharem(m): 11:27pm On Dec 15, 2010
Onlytruth:

So why are you calling yourself silly a55 Igbo or easterner then?

i am sorry onlytruth, if it makes u angry, i am sorry

sometimes i just get over board with the insult i get from my brothers just like the one now

embarassed cry
Re: Akunyili Resigns, Joins APGA by aljharem(m): 11:31pm On Dec 15, 2010
onlytruth, igbo in hausa is inyarmrai

it has nothing to do with insult undecided
Re: Akunyili Resigns, Joins APGA by chyz(m): 12:19am On Dec 16, 2010
alj harem:

onlytruth, igbo in hausa is inyarmrai

it has nothing to do with insult undecided

hausa in igbo is alakubo embarassed undecided
Re: Akunyili Resigns, Joins APGA by Obiagu1(m): 2:00am On Dec 16, 2010
Soludo is next to come back home to APGA, it's long overdue.
Re: Akunyili Resigns, Joins APGA by nduchucks: 2:33am On Dec 16, 2010
Dora's action is nothing short of political harlotry. It typifies the conduct of politicians in Nigeria - unprincipled, bereft of binding ideology e.t.c.

There is no difference between most of the parties, the politicians are all in it for their own selfish interests. Dora has been a prominent member of the PDP - she is now jumping in bed with Obi. dan tselewa.

I wonder whether Ikemba himself will not jump ship to the PDP if offered a VP slot.

(1) (2) (Reply)

77 Senators Endorse David Mark Aa Senate President / Hon Patrick On Fuel Subsidy Removal / A Documentary About Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.