Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,717 members, 7,813,362 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:19 AM

Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo (4645 Views)

INEC Replies Oshiomhole: We Obeyed Supreme Court On Bayelsa Like We Did On Imo / We Will Comply With Supreme Court Judgement On Bayelsa — INEC / INEC's Press Release On Bayelsa And Kogi Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by sarrki(m): 7:37pm On Feb 18, 2020
The Bayelsa state supreme court judgment is one that has forced me into reading the electoral act and its provisions once again.

In my quest,the circled section caught my attention,but was shocked to be informed that section had been expunged from our laws.

I am not a Lawyer by profession of which I had admitted before now. So my Learned elders and Law Gurus,please help me learn on the following as it concerns our laws:

(1) If the National assembly makes a law and is assented to by the president,does it not become part of the constitution?

(2) Does the courts have powers to expunge an act of the National assembly from the constitution?

(3) If the Courts have powers to expunge acts of the National assembly,why then is it advised that if there are issues with certain laws or constitution,the National should act to correct same and not the courts?

(4) When an amendment is made to our laws or acts,for how long does it bind?

Please help me to learn!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by Belkid01(m): 7:39pm On Feb 18, 2020
j
Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by kelvinginzie: 7:41pm On Feb 18, 2020
sarrki:
The Bayelsa state supreme court judgment is one that has forced me into reading the electoral act and its provisions once again.

In my quest,the circled section caught my attention,but was shocked to be informed that section had been expunged from our laws.

I am not a Lawyer by profession of which I had admitted before now. So my Learned elders and Law Gurus,please help me learn on the following as it concerns our laws:

(1) If the National assembly makes a law and is assented to by the president,does it not become part of the constitution?

(2) Does the courts have powers to expunge an act of the National assembly from the constitution?

(3) If the Courts have powers to expunge acts of the National assembly,why then is it advised that if there are issues with certain laws or constitution,the National should act to correct same and not the courts?

Please help me to learn!

Stop wailing
You Apc members act like lawyers when it seems to favour you.
But act like lawless thugs when the law is against you.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by SonofDevil: 7:42pm On Feb 18, 2020
shocked
Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by Eteka1(m): 7:43pm On Feb 18, 2020
Let's see how it plays out at the end.
Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by sarrki(m): 7:44pm On Feb 18, 2020
kelvinginzie:

Stop wailing

I once supported Pmb

Am not an Apc member nor to any party

The rule of law must prevail if we have to grow and develop as a nation

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by kelvinginzie: 7:45pm On Feb 18, 2020
sarrki:

I once supported Pmb

Did the rule of law prevail in osun, Kano and now imo states.
You guys celebrated injustice.
The hypocrisy is stinking

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by muykem: 7:48pm On Feb 18, 2020
Nobody expunged it from electoral act but evil woman called Mary Odili will never see that section.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by johnmartus(m): 7:48pm On Feb 18, 2020
Mary is an ipob member.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by sarrki(m): 7:49pm On Feb 18, 2020
kelvinginzie:

Did the rule of law prevail in osun, Kano and now imo states.
You guys celebrated injustice.
The hypocrisy is stinking

Aside Bayelsa , Pmb and atiku have you seen my comments on court cases involving political parties?

Lyon was robbed and the judgment wasn’t right

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by kelvinginzie: 7:54pm On Feb 18, 2020
sarrki:

Aside Bayelsa , Pmb and atiku have you seen my comments on court cases involving political parties?

Apc getting robbed is just like an armed robber getting robbed by a thief.
The armed robber then reports to the police that he was robbed.
Apc has robbed Pdp of many electoral victories, and the sky did not fall, no property was destroyed,no violence of any kind.
Pdp is far more civil THAN Apc

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by SweetJoystick(m): 7:55pm On Feb 18, 2020
sarrki:

Cry me a river....robbed ko robbery ni. If you no condemn Imo rulling no condemn this one

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by Nobody: 7:59pm On Feb 18, 2020
sarrki:

Please help me to learn!

Tribunal ..Oga...

Tribunal..

Do you really know what pre election matter and post election matters means.

You post is riddled with ignorance.

I am out.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by sarrki(m): 8:01pm On Feb 18, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Tribunal ..Oga...

Tribunal..

I am out.

Charge and bail lawyer I don hear you

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by ALTERNATEID: 8:05pm On Feb 18, 2020
sarrki:

Please help me to learn!

The particular section you circled in red was declared null and void by a high court judge some years ago. The Supreme Court later upheld the decision of the high court because it was not appealed. So, that section is just there on paper, it cannot be enforced.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by SonofDevil: 8:07pm On Feb 18, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Tribunal ..Oga...

Tribunal..

I am out.
ipob lawyer is pre and post election having different electoral act ?

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by Nobody: 8:08pm On Feb 18, 2020
SonofDevil:
ipob lawyer is pre and post election having different electoral act ?

Go and reverse it from ogbomosho

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by sarrki(m): 8:10pm On Feb 18, 2020
ALTERNATEID:

The particular section you circled in red was declared null and void by a high court judge some years ago. The Supreme Court later upheld the decision of the high court because it was not appealed. So, that section is just there on paper, it cannot be enforced.

Interesting

Let’s wait for the review outcome

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by kiyosaki1(m): 8:10pm On Feb 18, 2020
ALTERNATEID:

Don't mind the guy , he is just trying to massage his ego . He is still to come to terms that Bayelsa is gone for good .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by ALTERNATEID: 8:11pm On Feb 18, 2020

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by Nobody: 8:13pm On Feb 18, 2020
sarrki:

I once supported Pmb

The election was not nullified, the party was disqualified based on pre-election matters.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by evil1: 8:15pm On Feb 18, 2020
That is what the electoral act says oo butbghe useless Justices did not see that section.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by allthingsgood: 8:16pm On Feb 18, 2020
kelvinginzie:

Stop wailing

What is this rubbish u are saying now Is the above not d law

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by ChristianNorth: 8:17pm On Feb 18, 2020
sarrki:

Please help me to learn!

1. Electoral law is not part of our constitution. A constitution is the body of law that states how a state will be constituted and governed. Every other laws draw their legitimacy from the constitution. The first thing a military government does is to suspend the constitution or a part of it in order to have legitimacy. Other laws are not suspended.

2. Only the Supreme Court does through legal instrument called judicial precedent and when they do, it becomes binding and law on its own unless a new law is passed by the legislatures.

3. It is just to formalize it and nothing more.

4. At the time it is signed.

Bayelsa judgment is apt if you are not sentimental. The judgement sacking Lyon was a pre-election matter meaning APC shouldn't have been on the ballot.

Being on the ballot then disqualified is different from being disqualified before the ballot. The Supreme Court only upheld a pre-election judgment of the High Court

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by edoairways: 8:17pm On Feb 18, 2020
kelvinginzie:

Stop wailing
Same with PDP
Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by sarrki(m): 8:18pm On Feb 18, 2020
ALTERNATEID:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lawyard.ng/flashback-federal-high-court-invalidates-section-140-1-2-of-the-electoral-act-amendment-2010/amp/

I will refer you to number (2) on my post

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by fergie001: 8:22pm On Feb 18, 2020
sarrki:

Yes.....if they feel it is at variance to the constitution as Justice G O K Oyewole posited.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by ALTERNATEID: 8:24pm On Feb 18, 2020
sarrki:

If the section is inconsistent with any section of the constitution, the court can declare the inconsistent section null and void.

The Supreme Court upheld the decision of the high court so it’s a settled case already.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by sarrki(m): 8:26pm On Feb 18, 2020
ChristianNorth:

1. Electoral law is not part of our constitution. A constitution is the body of law that states how a state will be constituted and governed. Every other laws draws their legitimacy through the constitution. The first thing a military government does is to suspend the constitution or a part of it in order to have legitimacy. Other laws are not suspended.

2. Only the Supreme Court does through legal instrument called judicial precedent and when they do, it becomes binding and law on its own unless a new law is passed by the legislatures.

3. It is just to formalize it and nothing more.

4. At the time it is signed.

Bayelsa judgment is apt if you are not sentimental. The judgement sacking Lyon was a pre-election matter meaning APC shouldn't have been on the ballot.

Being on the ballot then disqualified is different from being disqualified before the ballot. The Supreme Court only upheld a pre-election judgment of the High Court

We all have different interpretations on laws

We wait for the review

The for and the against

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by fergie001: 8:27pm On Feb 18, 2020
ALTERNATEID:

If the section is inconsistent with any section of the constitution, the court can declare the inconsistent section null and void.

The Supreme Court upheld the decision of the high court so it’s a settled case already.
God bless you....that's what many of them have been citing without proper information.

Thank God....sarrki brought it up.
Good one.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Judgment On Bayelsa Contravene Electoral Law - Photo by sarrki(m): 8:30pm On Feb 18, 2020
fergie001:

Yes.....if they feel it is at variance to the constitution as Justice G O K Oyewole posited.

Interesting

It’s all a learning class

The constitution supersedes the court ruling

Coz the the lawmakers makes law

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

‘so President Buhari Is Now Bigger Than Allah’ - Nigerians React / A Touching Documentary On Flight Officer Tolulope Arotile - ( Video ) / Osinbajo: Insecurity Increases Number Of Orphans, Widows In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.